• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I DID IT! I completed Chapter 10 with no one dying and it wasn't fun.
Who am I kidding, I love this game honestly

So Niles, should I upgrade him to Bow Knight or Adventurer?

Shun

Bow knight all the way.

Is it wise to use a dread fighter seal right on Kaze right after he joins in Conquest?

No. Save it for when he will get the most gains from it. You want to get other skills from the ninja class first. Those bonus scrolls should be used for your final class as they are limited.

Voror

After completing a route, if I start from the split, can I redo how I want my Avatar built or would that require starting from scratch? Just curious if I wanted to try a different tack when doing one of the other routes.

Gestahl

Adventurer's better if you plan on going magic bow or need another healer. Otherwise bow knight has the better str and hp growths. The breaker skills all come at level 15 so I wouldn't choose a class based on those, you'll probably be able to scrounge together a reclass seal or two by the point that shit becomes relevant

Xenoflare

Bow knight all the way.

No. Save it for when he will get the most gains from it. You want to get other skills from the ninja class first. Those bonus scrolls should be used for your final class as they are limited.

Thanks, I'll take that into account

Oh and is uh Jakob's growth rate really bad or something. He got 3 level ups with only 1 stat increase

So I got the physical version of Conquest, digital code for Birthright and a digital code for Map Pack 1 from Best Buy. Does anyone know how to redeem the digital codes? I've changed my mind and want to start with Birthright but when I go to "Explore Paths" it brings me to the eshop and tries to charge me $20. When I go to the eshop directly, I get an error.

Code:
"Error Code: 007-1221

The Download code you entered can only be redeemed within the relevant software title. It cannot be redeemed in the Nintendo eShop"

Anyone how to redeem these codes?

Im tentatively doing an Ironmanish run, and Ive already spilt blood in Chapter 4.
Sorry Kaze...I shouldn't have dropped that boss mountain so soon.

Kaiterra

Banned
Well if anyone makes the same mistake I did and buys both Conquest and Birthright in cart form, Gamestop currently has $22 in trade-in value for them, so that should be enough to get eShop credit for the DLC version in exchange for the one you trade in. Dudes there agreed with me how stupid this all is.

The ability of these actors to convincingly cry is not particularly impressive. Though I can't exactly blame the VA if their script consists entirely of grunts, shouts and <insert size><insert sibling>.

Bow knight all the way.

From what I've read using one of those items adds jt to your base tree like Buddy/marriage seals so you should be able to parallel to it. Of course you'd still need a parallel seal.

squadr0n

Well, go ahead and sign me up to the never shopping at Gamestop ever again club lol. Went to pick up my Special Edition today and come to find out they sold it to someone else, WTF!

Preordered the day it went into their system at my local Gamestop where im on a first name basis with all the managers. Paid it off in full last night and had it in my hands to check it out. They only had 2 pre ordered that were delivered to their store, 2! Apparently the Store Manager sold it to some kid on "accident" that only had the regular edition reserved. How do you even make that mistake lol.

To make things right in their eyes they gave me both versions for free and said to bring them back if they do get my copy in from their warehouse and if they dont I get to keep them and get my money back. But im willing to bet when they dont get it in I wont be getting a cent back and will be stuck with the 2 instead of having the special edition to display on my shelf with the rest of my collection.

When I worked as a manager at a Gamestop there was no way in hell something like this would happen. Especially when my store only got 2 copies.

Finally got my GS preorder. Not having a car sucks! (Still better than free shipping from amazon lol...but back to amazon soon since I now live in a state that doesn't charge tax.)

Only played the first three chapters but enjoying the story already. Although it (gameplay) seems a bit simple, but its Conquest so I guess its supposed to be super simple for the pre choice Chapters. Can you change your name for online? I went with Corrin. I guess there will be lots of Corrins if you can't change it XD.

So cool to see Corrin to make it in as a Fire Emblem Character. She was the best character in Smash and totally deserved it.

Went with Normal/Casual. I struggled much under perma normal in Awakening, so since this is supposed to be harder I figured its the best bet.

Also damn online mode. :O Hope it doesn't die like Code Name Steam.

Kaiterra

Banned
Well, go ahead and sign me up to the never shopping at Gamestop ever again club lol. Went to pick up my Special Edition today and come to find out they sold it to someone else, WTF!

Preordered the day it went into their system at my local Gamestop where im on a first name basis with all the managers. Paid it off in full last night and had it in my hands to check it out. They only had 2 pre ordered that were delivered to their store, 2! Apparently the Store Manager sold it to some kid on "accident" that only had the regular edition reserved. How do you even make that mistake lol.

To make things right in their eyes they gave me both versions for free and said to bring them back if they do get my copy in from their warehouse and if they dont I get to keep them and get my money back. But im willing to bet when they dont get it in I wont be getting a cent back and will be stuck with the 2 instead of having the special edition to display on my shelf with the rest of my collection.

When I worked as a manager at a Gamestop there was no way in hell something like this would happen. Especially when my store only got 2 copies.

Make sure you only open one of the boxes (or neither). One cart will not recognize the other cart's data, it only does if it's through the SE cart or the eShop addon.

Tyeforce

So I scanned a Marth amiibo, and it's asking if I'd like a sacred gift or a valuable gift. What does this mean? What does each option give you?

I'm on Chapter 8 of Conquest.

This is gonna sound kind of harsh, but I have no idea how an experienced writer wrote this scenario. I've watched two episodes of Kibayashi's "Knight in the Area," which I thought was pretty awful, so I'd mentally prepared myself, but man. Up through Chapter 6 spoilers:
These opening chapters really needed more scenes to flesh out the families -- just some downtime getting to know them and hang out with them. None of the characters are given any time to breathe, and so the dramatic scenes just don't hold any weight. The problem is that the game want to get you out the gate and into the path-exclusive content, but tries to have its cake and eat it too by attempt to get an emotional rise out of the player with unearned drama.

The whole scene with Mikoto's death is a prime example of this, on top of being poorly written. Corrin literally says he doesn't feel a connection with Mikoto, which makes sense, given that they've just met -- then two scenes later he cries "Mother!" and goes into berserk mode. The game introduces this Hoshidan village literally two minutes before blowing it up (I mean when you show me this peaceful village I know it's donezo, but at least show a little restraint!). And after all of these atrocities, going back to Nohr is pretty much unjustifiable. Choosing the family you've spent all your life is appropriately weighty on paper, but the player doesn't have the same history with them that Corrin does, so the "rightness" of the choice is skewed firmly towards Hoshido.
It's just weird that a game script coming from a multimedia writer feels so slapdash, with no flow between scenes. Oddly enough, I don't recall feeling this way about Awakening, much less in its opening chapters.

All of that aside, I'm digging the gameplay so far. Attack stance/guard stance is interesting stuff, and the game just looks really good. The character designs are awesome and look great in motion. We'll see what the rest of this story has in store (and judging by the importer impressions, I'm not gonna like it...)

Prax

Well, my brother got his copy today and I got to see a bit of the intro and first tutorialish into chapter? Seems alright so far...

My copy is still waiting to be shipped on Monday.. and then the FE Fates 3DSXL on Tuesday.. So I guess I'll have to wait a bit until I can really start playing!!!
But while I'm doing that, help me decide who to play as first! :D

I'll be slogging through Birthright first, then Conquest, then a third character (probably myself?? lol) for Revelations.
So which character of mine should I insert into Birthright path?
elly_and_ennes_as_corrin_by_meibatsu-d9scwgr.png

Tubobutts

I saw earlier in the thread that you could miss out on getting some of the kids if you had certain people marry each other. Is there a guide or something for supports?

Gestahl

I saw earlier in the thread that you could miss out on getting some of the kids if you had certain people marry each other. Is there a guide or something for supports?

By certain people they meant the male Corrin marrying 90% of the female cast. If a girl has a support with a guy not named Corrin and you marry her, say goodbye to a kid

Started a Classic/Hard run on Conquest, even though I'll probably regret it down the line (I'm not very good at SRPGs.) Made it up through Chapter 7 and the first Paralogue, it's very fun so far.

I'm on Chapter 8 of Conquest.

This is gonna sound kind of harsh, but I have no idea how an experienced writer wrote this scenario. I've watched two episodes of Kibayashi's "Knight in the Area," which I thought was pretty awful, so I'd mentally prepared myself, but man. Up through Chapter 6 spoilers:
These opening chapters really needed more scenes to flesh out the families -- just some downtime getting to know them and hang out with them. None of the characters are given any time to breathe, and so the dramatic scenes just don't hold any weight. The problem is that the game want to get you out the gate and into the path-exclusive content, but tries to have its cake and eat it too by attempt to get an emotional rise out of the player with unearned drama.

The whole scene with Mikoto's death is a prime example of this, on top of being poorly written. Corrin literally says he doesn't feel a connection with Mikoto, which makes sense, given that they've just met -- then two scenes later he cries "Mother!" and goes into berserk mode. The game introduces this Hoshidan village literally two minutes before blowing it up (I mean when you show me this peaceful village I know it's donezo, but at least show a little restraint!). And after all of these atrocities, going back to Nohr is pretty much unjustifiable. Choosing the family you've spent all your life is appropriately weighty on paper, but the player doesn't have the same history with them that Corrin does, so the "rightness" of the choice is skewed firmly towards Hoshido.
It's just weird that a game script coming from a multimedia writer feels so slapdash, with no flow between scenes. Oddly enough, I don't recall feeling this way about Awakening, much less in its opening chapters.

All of that aside, I'm digging the gameplay so far. Attack stance/guard stance is interesting stuff, and the game just looks really good. The character designs are awesome and look great in motion. We'll see what the rest of this story has in store (and judging by the importer impressions, I'm not gonna like it...)

Man, I hate Shin Kibayashi. He is downright incompetent in writing stories, but still many people like to invite him to write for dramas and manga. He literally ruins Kindaichi after Y&#333;zabur&#333; Kanari left the team, turning an eternal classic manga into a pile of shit.

Gameplay wise. I have just finished Chapter 5. I have not play a Fire Emblem game for a long time, and I really enjoy Fates. Optimistic to the future chapters.

You should only miss out on kids if you have Corrin marry Niles / Ajraht when the same gender. You miss 2 from Niles (Daughter + Kana) and 1 from Ajraht (Kana). Not sure if there's some situation where you can pair things such that a male with a child has no legal match.

Ala Alba

By certain people they meant the male Corrin marrying 90% of the female cast. If a girl has a support with a guy not named Corrin and you marry her, say goodbye to a kid

Exceptions being if the girl is herself a 'child' character.

You should only miss out on kids if you have Corrin marry Niles / Ajraht when the same gender. You miss 2 from Niles (Daughter + Kana) and 1 from Ajraht (Kana). Not sure if there's some situation where you can pair things such that a male with a child has no legal match.

There are only exactly enough eligible wives for all non-Avatar fathers. If Corrin marries one of those potential wives, there will be more men left than women who can marry them.

Exceptions being if the girl is herself a 'child' character.

There are only exactly enough eligible wives for all non-Avatar fathers. If Corrin marries one of those potential wives, there will be more men left than women who can marry them.

They really don't seem to have though a lot of this through at all.

Astral Dog

Make sure you only open one of the boxes (or neither). One cart will not recognize the other cart's data, it only does if it's through the SE cart or the eShop addon.
You can play both (separately) and then buy the dlc for one of them, after all, he got them for free, its not that bad of a deal.

Shun

Thanks! But, er...what do they do? And can I only ever get one of them, not both?

Other than for my castle battles, it's just an accessory to add onto the game model to make them look different in battle or a different outfit in the hot springs in My Castle. Like a hat or a mask or some extra armor.

I don't know if it is in the English version but there's also a few weapon in the game that strips an enemy if your weapon is advantageous in the weapon triangle. So attack an axe enemy with this special sword and their clothes rip.

There are also some weapons with unique animations

Top Bottom