• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Kinsei

Banned
So, FE stories are really not much to write home about, but after getting to chapter six, it's pretty astounding how weird the writing is in this game. I'm not going to outright say it's bad, it's just all super rushed? Events seem to be happening with no build up at all, dialogue is extremely simple and brief... it's weird. It's even different than Awakening.

To have a story where you have to pick between two sides, why go this route? It's so easy to make two empathetic sides... but they chose not to do that.

Uh-huh. They give you no reason to choose Nohr from a story perspective and it sucks.

vareon

Not to excuse bad story telling but hasn't Fire Emblem always had questionable writing? Awakening's story was pretty bad, granted I already knew about the Marth/Lucina twist when I played it. Sacred Stones' story was nothing to really write home about. I've only played two FE games(starting on my third FE now) so it may just be the games I've played. I've only gotten to the second chapter of Fates before I had to leave to work but I plan to delve into it more tonight.

I started with Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and I thought the story was really great.

Was a bit disappointed in Awakening's smaller scale story but the characters and support conversations are what makes it shine. I expect the same of Fates.

My biggest gripe in Fates is how the handle My Castle in the story, which was way too convenient (borderline on lazy).

Now that I think of it, there wasn't really any point in customizing Corrin. In the two previous games, we're playing a tactician "avatar" and it makes sense if players want to represent themselves. Now we're simply playing Corrin, and his/her default appearance is pretty much everywhere...except in the game itself.

Lingitiz

Story is super rushed in the beginning and the gameplay sections aren't the best. On chapter 7 Birthright now and it feels pretty good to have a substantial mission to play again. While the beginning is really weird and fast paced I guess they just wanted to get to the big decision ASAP so the actual game can start.

Conquest has so much map variety wtf. Is Birthright similar? There was this chapter were I was trying to find the Rainbow Sage or whatever and the map was super unique in that there were two paths to chose and stairs would lead you to other rooms.

Lunar15

Story is super rushed in the beginning and the gameplay sections aren't the best. On chapter 7 Birthright now and it feels pretty good to have a substantial mission to play again. While the beginning is really weird and fast paced I guess they just wanted to get to the big decision ASAP so the actual game can start.

Yeah, I assume this is likely the case.

Rewind

Chapter 8 in conquest was pretty hard on hard difficulty, took me a couple hours to finish it without losing anyone and doing the side quest.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I tried going straight into battle on the 4th mission (iirc) and got destroyed. I wasn't thinking about my surroundings. I bought Birthright. It's a very fresh feeling after waiting a while.

I like how they aren't cheap and easy missions. You have to think before it starts to get hard.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh, chapter 12 conquest is a pain in the ass.

When the debuffs from ninjas start reaching -3/-4 on multiple stats, along with a skill that auto-chunk 5 hp, and you only have one real healer.....

Shit suuuuuucks, lol. 'Harder' than 10, imo.

Mik317

Played the first 3 missions. I like it a lot. Going to put crazy ammounts of time into this game...but let me complain a bit lol.

- The story is super ...jumpy. It throws you in there, the runs it back...but not really because it doesn't explain much either. The characters met so far are also off...but that might be the point.

- This Corrin VA I chose sucks ass. Probably will have to start over because wow. Corrin also seems like cool than Robin was personality wise

just a few initial things that are sticking out to me.

Aeana

Uh-huh. They give you no reason to choose Nohr from a story perspective and it sucks.
They didn't do a good enough job of establishing the non-King characters. They're banking on your desire to be with the other characters, but the player just met them and there's not enough of a connection to offset the other stuff going on. It's definitely very weird. Like they thought that that a clingy little girl and a woman with boobs would be enough to sway people.

Shun

Ugh, chapter 12 conquest is a pain in the ass.

When the debuffs from ninjas start reaching -3/-4 on multiple stats, along with a skill that auto-chunk 5 hp, and you only have one real healer.....

Shit suuuuuucks, lol. 'Harder' than 10, imo.

Oh yeah. You are no way strong enough to beat Ryouma. You seriously need to cheese this chapter on lunatic and avoid Kagerou/Saizou at all costs. Having Kamilla and Corrin cheese through and the rest of your army take care of the archer reinforcements will help.

I laugh that it says escape in 16 turns or defeat Ryouma, cause you sure as hell not gonna kill Ryouma unless you skill grind or sacrifice a unit or hope you crit and you sure as hell gonna take 14-16 turns to escape.

Pot breaking roulette is fun too. Oh this is a bad pot? okay it will just debuff or get rid of 6 HP. NOPE my max HP gets halved for the entire battle. It's hilarious.

Going through the middle is like asking to commit suicide. Going through the right is much more manageable.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They didn't do a good enough job of establishing the non-King characters. They're banking on your desire to be with the other characters, but the player just met them and there's not enough of a connection to offset the other stuff going on. It's definitely very weird. Like they thought that that a clingy little girl and a woman with boobs would be enough to sway people.

If the threads leading up to release are any indication, it definitely seems to have worked for part of audience.

Hugstable

Banned
Loving this so far, on Chapter 9 of Birthright at this point. Rinka is a badass, definitely one of my best units so far, been getting alot of +Str growths for her and she just tanks everything and deal massive damage when attacking especially with another character at her side. Corrin has been raising ok in stats, had a few levels where it was like 1 stat point on level up, he also has been working as a tank like character to take hits and having my other lower level troops come in to finish enemies off. Been playing on Hard Classic and feel that the difficulty has been perfect for me so far. I usually am not great at these types of games, but I still do like the challenge and like pushing myself onto classic cause I tend to be more cautious with my moves when I know in my head that if I die I lose a character

Lunar15

Story stuff aside, this game is really great gameplay wise so far. I'm loving the changes to pair-up. They made what was a somewhat lame mechanic in awakening into a pretty tactical one.

L95

Pot breaking roulette is fun too. Oh this is a bad pot? okay it will just debuff or get rid of 6 HP. NOPE my max HP gets halved for the entire battle. It's hilarious.

It's been a while, but I think I remember correctly, but the pot icons on the bottom screen map are tinted different colors that hint which ones are which. Unless my brain made this up, but I remember there being some kind of hint related to the map and color....

Rozart

Chapter 8 in conquest was pretty hard on hard difficulty, took me a couple hours to finish it without losing anyone and doing the side quest.

Ugh, I'm on this map right now. Conquest's Hard is hard.

And I want to kill Arthur. His hit-rate is ATROCIOUS.

TWILT

Banned
Been playing Birthright (just finished chapter 9) and have been loving it the entire way through. It definitely feels like an Awakening+, but with a lot more polish. Love the new changes to the pair up mechanics in particular; really feels like I actually have to put thought into it without just mindless pairing up with no downside. I'm really looking forward to Conquest once I get to that, but been having a blast with Birthright all the same.

The story is admittedly kinda just "okay"; beginning definitely feels rushed because it definitely feels like they wanted you to make your choice asap, but after making the choice, it definitely feels better paced. And I really like the characters in this game too. And surprisingly, I was kinda skeptical before, but the English Dub is a lot better than I expected. Or maybe I've just gotten used to it, I dunno, but it's not as bad as I was led to believe. Music's generally pretty awesome too. Hana/Oboro/Hinoka are prolly my fav units so far with Silas/Setsuna/the ninja boys not too far behind. Wish my Felicia would stop getting RNG screwed over though. >_>;

lmao at chapter 12 birthright

non story spoiler

Corrin has to escape to a certain location on the map. Surrounded by water, you're supposed to use a dragon vein to freeze the water. But nothing stops you from pairing up with a pegasus knight and flying over the water. Literally beat it without any unit battling.

RedToad64

Is there any way to turn the transparent grid-lines on for the maps in this game? I have a very difficult time analyzing the map without those. I really hope they didn't remove that feature...

Shun

Is there any way to turn the transparent grid-lines on for the maps in this game? I have a very difficult time analyzing the map without those. I really hope they didn't remove that feature...

Press X if that's what you mean. Like the enemy movement or actual gridlines.

Had my first death tonight, Chapter 10 of Birthright. My character had an 80% chance of hitting the boss, and he missed the attack AND the double attack. The boss responded to this with criticaling on a 5% chance. YEP, this is Fire Emblem alright.

Just starting chapter 13 now. I'm going to have to start promoting soon.

I actually think the exact opposite. But only with the assumption that the player knows (very general over arching story plot they told in a treehouse talk):
that the choices are to choose Hoshido to stop Nohr, or choose Nohr to stop the from the inside and not to actually side with the evil king
, then I feel like there really isn't a reason to choose Hoshido. Sure they are your blood family, but your real family are the people you grew up with. Even if the player didn't get that connection with the Nohr family, just thinking from the perspective of Corrin, I have a hard time seeing why I should choose Hoshido. They're just a bunch of strangers. Though, I am currently in the middle of chapter 5.

I'm currently stuck on Chapter 10 Conquest. I still haven't discovered a good strategy yet.

Until then, I'm going to invest a lot of tonics and see how much that helps me. My characters are getting ready to use Steel Weapons, too. I have to use that 10000 Gold from Chapter 8 wisely.

I didn't expect the missions to be this hard.

Shun

It's been a while, but I think I remember correctly, but the pot icons on the bottom screen map are tinted different colors that hint which ones are which. Unless my brain made this up, but I remember there being some kind of hint related to the map and color....

It's been a while too but I don't remember that at all. Those pots were all pretty purple to me. I had to remember which one was which and which route to go because I sure was not going to go through that.

RedToad64

Press X if that's what you mean. Like the enemy movement or actual gridlines.
I was not referring to the enemy's area (which is in red), but rather the faint gray lines that used to cover the maps in past titles.

You can clearly see them below in these screenshots from Awakening:
Fire-Emblem-Awakening-Screenshot-2.jpg

fire_emblem_awakening_49.jpg

The Fates maps look... naked without them.
002.jpg

walkthrough-video-screenshot.jpg

And I hope these images are spoiler free.

Shun

I'm currently stuck on Chapter 10 Conquest. I still haven't discovered a good strategy yet.

Until them, I'm going to invest a lot of tonics and see how much that helps me. My characters are getting ready to use Steel Weapons, too. I have to use that 10000 Gold from Chapter 8 wisely.

I didn't expect the missions to be this hard.

Gave a tip earlier. There's no need to spend money on potions if you play smart. You might need to promote a unit early but it is doable without it. Having a Great Knight will help this chapter a lot.

What difficulty are you on? Keep at it because this map needs you to take advantage of your turrets and playing defensively. Don't over commit.

My strategy was to keep Niles, Effie, and Harold to the right.
Odin, Nyx, Azura to the left.
Felicia/Jakob, Silas, and Corrin in the middle.

Then you have the enemies concentrate in the middle while fending off the right.

Edit: Put in my english cart in my homebrew JP n3DS hoping that it will read my JP save and extra data. It doesn't and I'm holding out on whether or not I want to make the commitment to go through it again first when I'm still support grinding the other one for pegasusknight transcripts.

I was not referring to the enemy's area (which is in red), but rather the faint gray lines that used to cover the maps in past titles.

You can clearly see them below in these screenshots from Awakening:

Oh you mean like the ones in Path of Radiance? I don't remember there being an option for it in this game. Not all past Fire Emblem games had a complete grid tho.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The Fates maps look... naked without them.
002.jpg

walkthrough-video-screenshot.jpg

And I hope these images are spoiler free.

Not even an option in the settings? At least in some of the previous games I know you could change how dark or faint the grid was, including removing it entirely.

Would be disappointing if there was no option to enable it.

Rewind

Ugh, I'm on this map right now. Conquest's Hard is hard.

And I want to kill Arthur. His hit-rate is ATROCIOUS.

I did not use him, I used the character you get from the first side quest. I had to restart so many times to find a way to stop the 2 villages on the left, freeze is the best spell on this map.

RedToad64

Not even an option in the settings? At least in some of the previous games I know you could change how dark or faint the grid was, including removing it entirely.

Would be disappointing if there was no option to enable it.
Maybe I'm blind, but I do not see any toggles within any of the menus. It seems to have been removed, unfortunately.

//ARCANUM

I'm basically a FE noob. I played a few hrs of awakening but don't really remember it. I'm playing on normal and casual. I'm in character creation. What do I want for my Boon, Bane, and Talent?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm blind, but I do not see any toggles within any of the menus. It seems to have been removed, unfortunately.

A shame, I prefer having the grind. Hardly the first time it didn't show up for battle though, IIRC the GBA and DS games didn't have the grid either. PoR, RD, and Awakening were the ones that did have it. Not familiar with prior games.

alvis.exe

Not to excuse bad story telling but hasn't Fire Emblem always had questionable writing? Awakening's story was pretty bad, granted I already knew about the Marth/Lucina twist when I played it. Sacred Stones' story was nothing to really write home about. I've only played two FE games(starting on my third FE now) so it may just be the games I've played. I've only gotten to the second chapter of Fates before I had to leave to work but I plan to delve into it more tonight.

Basically this I'd say. Questionable isn't the word I'd use for FE's writing prior to Awakening. At worst, they'd at least be serviceable like Sacred Stones with decent writing and a basic story. At best, they could offer some genuine twists, world building, political intrigue, etc.

As for Fates, I'm only up to Chapter 4 but the speed at which things have been moving has been preeetttty funny so far. At least the gameplay seems much improved from Awakening!

Azuran

Banned
This game is so much better than Awakening is crazy. I just finished Chapter 9 in Birthright and it amazed how a few changes to the gameplay mechanics can make such a difference. Having to decide between attacking and defensive pair ups adds a great layer of depth and strategy to the gameplay.

I don't even mind the lack of mission variety in Birthright when you have can tackle them in so many ways due to the expansive maps.

The music is awesome too.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The chapter 6 choice is so stupid. You are forced to pick the unlikeliest answer just so you can play the better game. Probably my biggest nitpick a game can do.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Basically this I'd say. Questionable isn't the word I'd use for FE's writing prior to Awakening. At worst, they'd at least be serviceable like Sacred Stones with decent writing and a basic story. At best, they could offer some genuine twists, world building, political intrigue, etc.

As for Fates, I'm only up to Chapter 4 but the speed at which things have been moving has been preeetttty funny so far.

The only ones I'd say reach decent to good territory is PoR/RD, and that has more to do with the world building the games manage than the main plot. Plus RD falls off a cliff as you get closer to the end, all the interesting stuff gets shoved aside in favor of generic and cliched nonsense to make sure it gets a "JRPG ending."

//ARCANUM

Sorry to bother about this again but the game gives no explanation - what is boon bane and talent? Why do I want what? It seems super important and I can't find the right info googling. What do I wanna pick? Any advice?

Chapter 8 of Conquest hard was pretty difficult but I managed to get it in less than 5 tries + the bonus objective. It's all about leap frogging units with horseriders and using the dragon veins asap.

Jims

Doing Birthright Hard Mode out the gate and am up to Chapter 6. Chapter 5 was my only stumbling block for awhile, as there reached a moment where it didn't seem like I had enough attacks to clear what I needed to do in one turn. Trying to get my weaker characters to pick up the slack was a challenge.

I really like the new Ninja class. They feel like they might create some scary support scenarios in the late game with their debuffs.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I will say, after beating chapter 12, that Felicia with a magic-based shuriken is like night and day.

Went from 0 per hit to 13, lol.

Oh yeah. You are no way strong enough to beat Ryouma. You seriously need to cheese this chapter on lunatic and avoid Kagerou/Saizou at all costs. Having Kamilla and Corrin cheese through and the rest of your army take care of the archer reinforcements will help.

Only playing on hard, I think lunatic without knowing the ins and outs of each chapter would drive me insane.

Managed to smoke Ryoma with Felicia + song-skilled Aqua, tho.

Sorry to bother about this again but the game gives no explanation - what is boon bane and talent? Why do I want what? It seems super important and I can't find the right info googling. What do I wanna pick? Any advice?

Boon gives a % increase to the chance of getting a specific stat when you level up, bane is the inverse - they help you if you want to go for a certain build.

Talent, I believe, refers to the 'heart-seal' re-classing option for the protagonist.

Top Bottom