• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I have a question about parallel seals.

I know if you class change with a P seal, it does not reset level. Does this mean that if I want to collect skills of 2 class paths, I would need do to this:
1) Learn both skills from starting base class
2) Promote to advanced
3) Learn both skills from advanced class (by lv 15?)
4) P seal change to another advanced class, staying at lv 15
5) Collect new base and advanced class skills one level at a time, ending at lv 19

Is there a better way?

Thanks!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ninjas are so good in this game. Saizo and Kaze are never leaving my party.

Busaiku

Ugh, it's so hard to stick with just a core party...
This is why I'll probably end up liking Birthright and Revelation more.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ugh, it's so hard to stick with just a core party...
This is why I'll probably end up liking Birthright and Revelation more.
This is a problem in every FE game. Fortunately, it makes repeat playthroughs more interesting when you can try out new characters.

Busaiku

This is a problem in every FE game. Fortunately, it makes repeat playthroughs more interesting when you can try out new characters.
Yeah, I appreciate the different win conditions, but I like character interactions and party choice a lot more.

Prior to Awakening, I didn't even really care about supports too much, heck I skipped through a bunch of the events in Path of Radiance.

I know if you class change with a P seal, it does not reset level. Does this mean that if I want to collect skills of 2 class paths, I would need do to this:
2) Promote to advanced
5) Collect new base and advanced class skills one level at a time, ending at lv 19

Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Once the online population is better, just do My Castle battles and buy skills. If you want to do everything by yourself, you'd have to do something like what you suggested.

2) Promote to advanced

Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Assuming you have access to enough Parallel Seals and don't mind mixing stat growths , you can just spend n levels in a class (where n is the number of missing skills from the classes prepromote + current class at that level) and then book it out. e.g There's nothing stopping you (other than seal availability) from Learning the Level 1 ability of a base class, switching to another base class , levelling up and learning its level 1 ability , carrying through to 10 (learning the second ability) , paralleling back and levelling up once to get the other ability. Then you could promote and get to level 5 in the promoted class before using 3 Parallel seals to get the level up for 6 , 7 and 8 (and the skills) in each of your other class tree options, then going through to 15 , and using Parallel Seals to hit 16/ 17 / 18 in your other options (and thus get all the skills). Theoretically its even barely doable with characters with 3 base classes or using a Friend / Marriage Seal.
The wisdom of doing so might be questionable (some characters have classes that aren't great fits for them).

For maximum growth you should put off advancing until you cap base classes if possible though (it's "free" growth).

Once the online population is better, just do My Castle battles and buy skills. If you want to do everything by yourself, you'd have to do something like what you suggested.

You can buy from your other across saves can't you ? So that'd be an option too, though the grinding would be waaaay worse. but at least its possible if you can't go online for some reason.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Thanks guys! I would prefer to play the games without dlc/streetpass influence, so I'll settle for imperfection. =) It's more interesting that way anyway.

Kurtofan

The Before Awakening DLC is fanservice in all the right ways. Absolutely loved it.

Takumi could be the next Shinon if he could get a decent friggin level. One point of Skill is nice but I had to feed you those kills.

Pegasi/ninjas are leading the way thanks to how versatile they are. Hinoka is an absolute monster and I've always loved the thief type characters.

Thank you for this. Haven't missed any yet fortunately.

Thanks, so conquest kind of gets the shaft here, oh well.

Gestahl

on chapter 10 of Birthright, do I have to do something special to
break Takumi's brainwashing

Do that thing the game should explicitly tell you, put Aqua next to him

Also Aqua at least on the higher difficulties, her exp scales depending on who she dances for. So theoretically you can't just power her up to level 40 immediately

Luigi87

At the choice and this is how I feel
q0w2ZvJ.jpg

Voror

So, am I understanding it right or do you need to be careful with pairings if you want to get all the children in both sides? I read that it's possible to miss out on some since there aren't enough units to pair up.

Swamped

Banned
I'm on chapter 5, playing Conquest (although both games are the same until chapter 6 or so, no?). Decided to go with hard classic. I had forgotten just how much fun these games were! Decided to give my Princess aqua blue hair, in keeping with the FE theme of Lords having blue hair.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I'm still trying to understand Pair Up vs fighting side by side.

Obviously Pair Up occupies one less space, and you build up a meter of shields to get a "No damage" block(?), right. So is there any reason to NOT do this versus just having two units fight side by side? I kind of had the same question in Awakening, it seemed like there wasn't really a reason to NOT Pair up units every time, and it appears so here too - unless you just want to fan out your troops and not occupy the same tile.

Also: sometimes I get the option to "shelter" which is a "defensive pair-up" choice, but sometimes it doesn't show up. Is it unit specific?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm on chapter 5, playing Conquest (although both games are the same until chapter 6 or so, no?). Decided to go with hard classic. I had forgotten just how much fun these games were! Decided to give my Princess aqua blue hair, in keeping with the FE theme of Lords having blue hair.
Oooh that's a good idea.

Obviously Pair Up occupies one less space, and you build up a meter of shields to get a "No damage" block(?), right. So is there any reason to NOT do this versus just having two units fight side by side? I kind of had the same question in Awakening, it seemed like there wasn't really a reason to NOT Pair up units every time, and it appears so here too - unless you just want to fan out your troops and not occupy the same tile.

Also: sometimes I get the option to "shelter" which is a "defensive pair-up" choice, but sometimes it doesn't show up. Is it unit specific?
Fighting side by side allows the adjacent unit to get an attack in. This is useful to eke out that extra damage for a kill or to help feed some exp to that adjacent unit. Let's say you have an archer diagonal from an enemy unit. You can move up a melee, get a dual strike with the archer, then attack with the archer and dual strike with the melee.

Pairing up is purely defensive except for the bonus stats. (Not to say that it's bad.) Both are useful in different situations, though pairing up might be slightly more useful in the general case.

Shelter is a Great Knight skill (that Gunter has). Rather than being someone else's sub, you pull a vulnerable character to become your own sub.

Side by side is the only way to do dual attacks

Shelter is a cavalier skill I think

Tom_Cody

Just starting out.

Question: Do I need to fulfill specific conditions to recruit people, or will they join me automatically once I complete their missions? As in, do I need to talk to them, make sure they survive the missions, etc?

ahdurian

so Amiibo items...can they be gotten outside of scanning Amiibos?
i just got to Chapter 6 and decided to scan them in, but not sure which item to pick

also, how many times can you scan them in?

Dad

so Amiibo items...can they be gotten outside of scanning Amiibos?
i just got to Chapter 6 and decided to scan them in, but not sure which item to pick

also, how many times can you scan them in?

I'm pretty sure they only offer cosmetic items. Speaking of which, does anybody know how to remove those items from characters? I gave Sakura a gift without knowing what it was, and now she just goes around with what looks like a trashcan lid attached to her shoulder

spiritfox

Pair Up loses the additional attack from Awakening. It's now mainly for stat boosts and the additional guard. It's better now since you have to choose either stat boosts and guards or more damage, depending on the situation.

Play it on Hard. Heed my lesson.
Interesting.

I decided to play Birthright first because it's the easier version, right? I didn't know I could play it on hard.

EDIT: Also, isn't this thread kinda dead? I thought the hype was pretty high for Fates. Do we have separate threads for Birthright and Conquest?

NeonZ

I'm pretty sure they only offer cosmetic items. Speaking of which, does anybody know how to remove those items from characters? I gave Sakura a gift without knowing what it was, and now she just goes around with what looks like a trashcan lid attached to her shoulder

I think the only way to do that is in the accessory shop, so you'll need to build it.

Luigi87

Interesting.

I decided to play Birthright first because it's the easier version, right? I didn't know I could play it on hard.

It's easier in that there is a map that you can grind missions on to level up (like in Awakening and Sacred Stones, which Conquest doesn't have). All difficulty options are available in all the games.

rhandino

Banned
Yas! I recruited Subaki and Hana, they are awesome in their supports and also roles in combat.

Interesting.

Birthright is easier even on hard because not only you can grind for Gold, Supports and Exp but the maps and objectives are a similar to the ones in Awakening so most of the time is just defeat all the units (from what I played so far).

So how does starting the second campaign work? Do you just start a new game?
You can do that or also you can select the "Branch of Fate" in the main menu which will take you to the chapter were you make the decision of which path you are going to choose

ahdurian

oh, they are? okay thats fine then. thanks

Vex_

Banned
So far I like kaze and his "twin brother" saizo. They look badass, and kaze is so good on the field.

Seriously? How are they twins tho? Also, how does my mom and PA look nothing like me? Lol?

EDIT: And I also like how you can build up "meter" to get that guard rather than it being chance like before. Less stupid. More cool.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Oooh that's a good idea.

Fighting side by side allows the adjacent unit to get an attack in. This is useful to eke out that extra damage for a kill or to help feed some exp to that adjacent unit. Let's say you have an archer diagonal from an enemy unit. You can move up a melee, get a dual strike with the archer, then attack with the archer and dual strike with the melee..

Right, okay I understand how adjacent ranged with melee guy can lead up to four attacks total, rather than just pairing them.

But if you two melee guys, they can't do that - so is it better to pair them up and get the bonus stats? And once you Pair Up units, don't they both attack anyways... or is that sometimes? I feel like they mostly BOTH get an attack in when you pair them up, same as adjacent, am I wrong?

Senketsu

I was really looking forward to playing this game, but too bad some assholes mugged me and took my 3DSXL and my brand new copy of Fire Emblem. :(

rhandino

Banned
I assume you can't change the difficulty that way then?
You can lower it but you can't raise it =/

I hear some people do the prologue chapters in Lunatic / Hard so they can decide which difficulty choose for the rest of the game.

I was really looking forward to playing this game, but too bad some assholes mugged me and took my 3DSXL and my brand new copy of Fire Emblem. :(
What in the wordl!? That's awful T_T

Draxal

Right, okay I understand how adjacent ranged with melee guy can lead up to four attacks total, rather than just pairing them.

But if you two melee guys, they can't do that - so is it better to pair them up and get the bonus stats? And once you Pair Up units, don't they both attack anyways... or is that sometimes? I feel like they mostly BOTH get an attack in when you pair them up, same as adjacent, am I wrong?

Paired up units can never attack together.

Holy shit, that sucks so much.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Pair Up loses the additional attack from Awakening. It's now mainly for stat boosts and the additional guard. It's better now since you have to choose either stat boosts and guards or more damage, depending on the situation.

Oh okay, I think you answered my questions. Thank you!

Draxal

If I like Valkyria Chronicles, will I like this?

Maybe? Try the Awakening demo. Awakening's demo will give you a brief taste of a very simliliar game to this one.

Valk Chronicles and this game have a lot of cross over fandom, but it doesn't mean you will automatically like this game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
If I like Valkyria Chronicles, will I like this?

Maybe.

But you would definitely like Steamworld Heist on the eShop. That's an awesome game. I don't know if it replaces Awakening as my favorite turn based strategy game (Steamworld isn't a RPG with stats like this) but it's game play is like a 2D Valkyria Chronicles.

Top Bottom