• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Great game so far. Playing conquest. Already sick of the blatant guilt tripping for choosing this path haha. And the modern anime style is somewhat off putting. But otherwise, enjoying it.

Hey folks, new to the series here. Awakening never really clicked for me, as the pair up mechanic really irked me. Im familiar with Shining Force and FFT, and was looking forward to another strategy rpg, but was bummed out by the limited actions any one unit cold perform, and having to pair up nearly all your units to have them be worth anything drove me nuts.

Would this one be more up my alley or what?

Splendor

So I am trying to get the other 2 versions with my digital game and I got Conquest, but everytime I try to buy Revelations it says that no downloadable content is avalible. Anyone else having this problem?

CSX

So I am trying to get the other 2 versions with my digital game and I got Conquest, but everytime I try to buy Revelations it says that no downloadable content is avalible. Anyone else having this problem?

Revelation not out till March 10th

Only people playing it got early access via Special Edition

Hey folks, new to the series here. Awakening never really clicked for me, as the pair up mechanic really irked me. Im familiar with Shining Force and FFT, and was looking forward to another strategy rpg, but was bummed out by the limited actions any one unit cold perform, and having to pair up nearly all your units to have them be worth anything drove me nuts.

Absolutely not since the pair up is even more vital now that the enemies can do it and some of the changes made.

Azuran

Banned

Pair up is way different in this game than in Awakening. When pairing up two characters, support units provide attack and defensive bonuses but they will never attack which means you can't just blow through the game. However, you can have two units attacking at the same time if they're adjacent to each other but they won't provide bonuses. This means positioning is even more important than Awakening. Also don't forget enemy units can team up now too.

It's pretty much a stance-like system now and the game is better for it.

Vex_

Banned
I give, I changed my difficulty from Hard to Normal on Conquest. Avert your eyes from my shame.

I5tZytC.gif

You should probably just throw your 3ds in the garbage.

ryseing

Just a thought- maybe try the older games? Pair up is only an Awakening/Fates thing.

Pair up is way different in this game than in Awakening. When pairing up two characters, support units provide attack and defensive bonuses but they will never attack which means you can't just blow through the game. However, you can have two units attacking at the same time if they're adjacent to each other but they won't provide bonuses. This means positioning is even more important than Awakening. Also don't forget enemy units can team up now too.

It's pretty much a stance-like system now and the game is better for it.

What do you mean it's a stance like system. You mean that pairing up is defense and splitting up would be offense, then?

Vex_

Banned
So far:

Gameplay - Best its ever been (again)
Graphics - Better than last entry
Level design - Great
Art - Better than last entry.
Story - ASS
Characters- A letdown. They don't have that synergy like Awakening. This game makes me miss the old character"s stories and interactions.
Difficulty - Perfect (playing on hard which feels like the "right" difficulty)

Birthright. Still early on.

Oh shit I'm already about to hit S Support with Jakob. He's just so god damn versatile I can't help always being near him. He's not even the guy I want o marry, strictly a master servant relationship.

Also Mozu Archer is Da Gawd. Her and Silas wreck shit when I have them together. They are SOOOO getting married.

Just started, on chapter 7 Conquest and the game is already showing no mercy. Playing Hard Classic, I can't imagine how it would be like on Lunatic. Doesn't help that there currently isn't any Jeigans to soften up dudes, meaning extra emphasis on keeping your dudes positioned well.

Don't think I ever had this challenge in Awakening's base game on Hard. :p

Yup. You're better off leaving characters unpaired if you plan on going offensive.

Well at least there's a reason to do so now. Eh, I'll give it a shot. Lemme ask the tired question though. Difficulty modes? The thing I never understood about the permadeath mechanic in fire emblem, is that it seems so punishing that everyone would just reset their game if a single person died. How is that functionally any different than just using the non permadeath option?

Well at least there's a reason to do so now. Eh, I'll give it a shot. Lemme ask the tired question though. Difficulty modes? The thing I never understood about the permadeath mechanic in fire emblem, is that it seems so punishing that everyone would just reset their game if a single person died. How is that functionally any different than just using the non permadeath option?
It basically turns the game over condition into "let anyone die" versus "let the Lord die." Casual mode however doesn't punish you for that; even if someone dies, they'll be back after the mission anyway.

Not everyone chooses to play like this of course, it's purely for the desire of challenge and trying to find the optimal strategy to clear maps without characters dying. At least IMO.

GSR

Because if you're playing on Casual instead of Classic, you can easily make use of way riskier tactics, or even use straight-up sacrificial ones. It doesn't matter if you lose the Paladin you've been training for 20 chapters by sending him into a horde of Berserkers, because he'll be back the next mission - and now you don't have as many Berserkers to deal with!

Because if you're playing on Casual instead of Classic, you can easily make use of way riskier tactics, or even use straight-up sacrificial ones. It doesn't matter if you lose the Paladin you've been training for 20 chapters by sending him into a horde of Berserkers, because he'll be back the next mission - and now you don't have as many Berserkers to deal with!

I suppose, but resetting the game over and over seems just as sacrificial, just you're sacrificing your time instead of your character. That being said, with permadeath, doesn't that make it so that the game can reach an X-com level fail state, where you don't have enough units to field to even beat the game?

Ponn

Banned
I don't like Arthur. Is he a good unit, should I suffer for his sins or can I forget about him. Is it worth working on Mozu like that guy from Awakening?

Gaz_RB

I don't like Arthur. Is he a good unit, should I suffer for his sins or can I forget about him. Is it worth working on Mozu like that guy from Awakening?
He's good, but he pretty much always needs a homie next to him or he can't hit shit

Shun

Whats the reward for saving atleast 3 houses in chapter 8 Conquest? I can only get to two of them and get 5K gold.

It's not designed to be possible on the higher difficulties without dying or grinding.

I give, I changed my difficulty from Hard to Normal on Conquest. Avert your eyes from my shame.

nooo keep at it.

Is one version longer than the other?

Revelation is longer in the sense in that you get everyone and there is so much shit to do.

Conquest is longer in the sense that it's harder and you will take more time playing through because difficulty.

Birthright is longer cause you can just grind all day, but you can do that in Revelation.

So Revleation > Conquest >> Birthright I guess. Length is subjective depending on your difficulty and what you want to do in the game. The chapter length is basically the same save for Revelation and it is really dependent on how you play the game.

Top Bottom