• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Azuran

Banned
Pairing doesn't do this. You just attack once with the stat bonus from the pairing. HOWEVER, I'm still unsure if you Pair Up and then have an adjacent unit if you still get the second +N attack, my guess is no.

No. You can only one be with one unit at a time so you can't have adjacent units joining your attacks if you're paired up.

My question: When paired up and you are attacked, will both characters counter attack that are paired, or just the main unit?

The main unit is the only one that will counterattack. The only thing your support can do is jump in and block the damage.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
My question: When paired up and you are attacked, will both characters counter attack that are paired, or just the main unit?
Only the main unit will counter attack. Also, being paired up will not let your adjacent units get an attack in as you only get one "supportive" character and they are paired up and guarding you.

I totally missed your previous question about melee characters in response to me, sorry! If it hasn't been answered yet, any character can get an attack in (this is called a dual strike) as long as they are adjacent to the attacker. I used an archer in my example because the archer can easily "reuse" the used up melee attacker to dual strike again, whereas a second melee would have to move up and not be able to dual strike with the first. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: One last thing I noticed was that your paired up unit will ALWAYS block an enemy's dual strike, regardless of how much guard meter you have.

My question is: How is the damage reduction on dual strikes calculated? Is it just half, rounding down?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Well shit. No wonder people restart whenever a single person dies, if you don't, then you can find yourself in the unwinnable state before you know it. =\

Now I'm really torn as to what difficulty to pick.

Not really. As someone stated you get "capture" other people from My Castle mode (I mean, I'm assuming you can get online with your 3DS) and you can always lower the difficulty down to baby mode in between any chapter if you find yourself in no man's land.

Ugh, all the "big brother", "we are your family" and shit is so unnecessary.

Just 2-3 family members would be enough, the rest could be just friends.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I had a unit miss with 91% earlier: they had to have changed how hit rate works.
Ugh, all the "big brother", "we are your family" and shit is so unnecessary.

Just 2-3 family members would be enough, the rest could be just friends.
The narrative in the tutorial is atrocious, this being one reason why. Sickeningly sweet.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
No. You can only one be with one unit at a time so you can't have adjacent units joining your attacks if you're paired up.

The main unit is the only one that will counterattack. The only thing your support can do is jump in and block the damage.

Only the main unit will counter attack. Also, being paired up will not let your adjacent units get an attack in as you only get one "supportive" character and they are paired up and guarding you.

I totally missed your previous question about melee characters in response to me, sorry! If it hasn't been answered yet, any character can get an attack in (this is called a dual strike) as long as they are adjacent to the attacker. I used an archer in my example because the archer can easily "reuse" the used up melee attacker to dual strike again, whereas a second melee would have to move up and not be able to dual strike with the first. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: One last thing I noticed was that your paired up unit will ALWAYS block an enemy's dual strike, regardless of how much guard meter you have.

My question is: How is the damage reduction on dual strikes calculated? Is it just half, rounding down?

Thanks, yall have done a great job explaining this slightly confusing system to me!

Whats a good way of earning more gold in Conquest? I'm only on Chapter 9 so far and I barely get any gold so I've only bought healing staves and 1 new weapon. Everything is so damn expensive I have to be extremely careful with my gold.

Renewed

Gonna head out today, let's see how many Streetpasses I can get for a new game. I wonder if people took the time to set up Streetpass...

Felicia's awkward laugh when she levels up bwahahaha her voice acting is so bad.

I'm not much fonder of her Japanese voice. I guess you have to take the bad with the good wherever you go.

Whats a good way of earning more gold in Conquest? I'm only on Chapter 9 so far and I barely get any gold so I've only bought healing staves and 1 new weapon. Everything is so damn expensive I have to be extremely careful with my gold.
Your about to get 10,000 in
chapter ten
, the best you can do is get all the villages and chests In the chapters.

Emarv

I'm sure already answered, but if I want to play different Genders for both Birthright and Conquest storylines, will I need to replay the first 6 Chapters as the other gender before buying the other DLC?

there isnt outside of dlc i think and the occasional maps tha thave it thats honestly the whole point of conquest u have to manage everything from exp to gold to even your units is its a very different beast to the freedom of awakening and birthright

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Thanks, yall have done a great job explaining this slightly confusing system to me!
No problem. I know they didn't want to scare aware the more casual players with mechanics, but I wish they explained the specifics somewhere.

Also, new players should probably turn on slide guides in the options. I think it's turned off by default on Hard or higher. Turning it on auto-opens those little guide blurbs.

I'm sure already answered, but if I want to play different Genders for both Birthright and Conquest storylines, will I need to replay the first 6 Chapters as the other gender before buying the other DLC?
The game makes an invisible semi-permanent save (you can rewrite it by starting a new game from ch1) right before the decision point. Your character can be fully recustomized at this point, right before making the decision.

Let me guess, the Fire Emblem on this game is going to be
Azura's pendent

They haven't mention the Fire Emblem, but I'm still wondering if they are finally not gonna use the title of the game series

Renewed

You don`t ever need to replay the first six chapters (unless you want to). At the main menu when you start the game is a option that says something like "Branch of Fate" that will let you purchase other paths/choose other paths you own. You pick that, go through avatar creation and then you arrive at Chapter 6 to make your choice.

there isnt outside of dlc i think and the occasional maps tha thave it thats honestly the whole point of conquest u have to manage everything from exp to gold to even your units is its a very different beast to the freedom of awakening and birthright

What kinds of weapons would be a good investment later on in the game once my units can use around B or A?

Emarv

The game makes an invisible semi-permanent save (you can rewrite it by starting a new game from ch1) right before the decision point. Your character can be fully recustomized at this point, right before making the decision.

You don`t ever need to replay the first six chapters (unless you want to). At the main menu when you start the game is a option that says something like "Branch of Fate" that will let you purchase other paths/choose other paths you own. You pick that, go through avatar creation and then you arrive at Chapter 6 to make your choice.

Whew! Thanks, all!

What kinds of weapons would be a good investment later on in the game once my units can use around B or A?

in the older games silver,brave and the special weapons are generally the go to at least in imo

since the weapon system is different its really hard to say (since i havent played conquest yet ) but looking from the list silver still seems to be worth while in investing in but theres probably people who are way better than me that can probably help you more :p

also imo killer weapons and sometimes steel as well

in the older games silver,brave and the special weapons are generally the go to at least in imo

since the weapon system is different its really hard to say (since i havent played conquest yet ) but looking from the list silver still seems to be worth while in investing in but theres probably people who are way better than me that can probably help you more :p

Alright I'll keep an eye on those weapons until I can get the money to be able to invest in it. So far I've been stuck with only iron or bronze weapons and they've been doing decent damage so far but its not gonna last forever.

Luigi87

So since I plan on playing Birthright and Conquest simultaneuously per chapter, I just powered through Ch.1-5 again (took about a half an hour, minus resets due to crap level RNG, lol)

However a difference is:
Code:
[B]Birthright[/B]
-Quick/Dull/Lancer
Code:
[B]Conquest[/B]
-Calm/Unlucky/Diviner
(pretty sure I picked Calm and not Clever)

Had to use a Vulnerary in Ch.4 of my Conquest side though. Clearly I'm already screwed.

Kinsei

Banned
I've really got to get into the habit of checking enemy weapons before making moves. I almost lost Hana because of it. Thank goodness she survived with 1HP.

Wisker

Neo Member
I bought a physical copy of both birthright and conquest.
Missed my chance at the special edition ( T_T).
Will I be able to download revelations to one of the games without having to buy the other digitally? If I buy the extra maps will it only be available for one copy of the game?

First character causality of the new Meme focused Nintendo, Izana!

Will I be able to download revelations to one of the games without having to buy the other digitally? If I buy the extra maps will it only be available for one copy of the game?
Yes, Revalations download should appear on March 10th my digital copy said.

NeonZ

The DLC maps and Revelations should be available for both, since the DLC is tied to the system. Revelations can't be bought yet though.

Apologies. Don't know the official terms for this stuff. Anyways...

Dual Attack / Dual Guard stuff:

Dual Attack
  • If the main attacking unit is unpaired, a nearby unit will assist, dealing a single strike at half normal damage if they hit.
  • The supporting unit may be chosen at will.
  • When defending while unpaired, a nearby unit may only assist if the main unit is capable of attacking.
  • The assisting unit will be chosen automatically based on support level.
  • Speed does -not- affect whether the supporting unit may attack twice or not. This makes strong units really helpful offensively, even if they are slow.
  • The supporting unit may be Paired Up and will still assist.
  • The range of the supporting unit does not matter. Berserkers may hit you from three squares away. It's funny until baiting a sorcerer with a ninja causes his axe-wielding friend to come over.
  • Weapons with the Silver effect do not activate for the supporting unit.
  • Weapons with the Devil effect and Brave effect do. Others I can't personally confirm.
  • Dual Attacks will always be negated if the target is Paired Up.

Dual Guard
  • Requires using Pair Up.
  • Any main attack dealt or received while Paired Up will up the shield gauge by two.
  • When the shield gauge is full, the next main attack received will be negated.
  • Supporting attacks will always be negated and may not add to or deplete the shield gauge.
  • The shield gauge will deplete slowly by a rate of two for each turn of inaction.
  • You may not use Dual Attacks while Paired Up, though you may still assist other unpaired units when they're attacking.

That's it off the top of my head.

Personally, I use Dual Attack a lot. It's much more flexible as I can easily switch to Dual Guard if I need it on the next turn without any penalty. Dual Guard meanwhile is inflexible. You're more or less locked into it once you're in it. Something of a last-ditch mechanic for me since if the situation suddenly calls for more offense, I just can't bring it.

I had a unit miss with 91% earlier: they had to have changed how hit rate works.

I've been hit by three Berserkers in a row at sub-30% one time for an instant game over. Paralogues are supposed to be easier, but they seem to have a thing against me. >.>

But yes, the percents are actually accurate this time. You'll (usually) appreciate this as enemies will typically have accuracy above 50%.

Kinsei

Banned

Dual Attack
  • If the main attacking unit is unpaired, a nearby unit will assist, dealing a single strike at half normal damage if they hit.
  • When defending, a nearby unit may only assist if the main unit is capable of attacking.
  • Speed does -not- affect whether the supporting unit may attack twice or not.
  • The supporting unit may be paired and will still assist.
  • The range of the supporting unit does not matter. Berserkers may hit you from three squares away. It's funny until baiting a sorcerer with a ninja causes his axe-wielding friend to come over.
  • Weapons with the Devil effect and Brave effect do. Others I can't personally confirm.

Dual Guard
  • Any main attack dealt or received will up the shield gauge by two.
  • Supporting attacks will always be negated and may not add to or deplete the shield gauge.
  • The shield gauge will deplete slowly by a rate of two for each turn of inaction.
  • You may not use Dual Attacks while Paired Up, though you may still assist other unpaired units when they're attacking.

That's it off the top of my head..

You can also choose which unit will assist you in an attack if you have multiple units adjacent to the attacker.

Dual Attack
  • When defending while unpaired, a nearby unit may only assist if the main unit is capable of attacking.
  • Speed does -not- affect whether the supporting unit may attack twice or not.
  • The supporting unit may be Paired Up and will still assist.

Dual Guard
  • Any main attack dealt or received while Paired Up will up the shield gauge by two.

Sucks that you can't dual guard anymore if you're just adjacent to your units but the trade off for it seems fair enough. At least they made pairing up alot more useful now compared to awakening.

mjc

In Chapter 4,
I can't seem to get to Sakura fast enough before the monster kills her from the south.
What am I missing?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Wait, True Hit isn't in this game? That would explain how I've missed more >95% chances in 7 chapters than my entire FE history combined.

Kinsei

Banned
In Chapter 4,
I can't seem to get to Sakura fast enough before the monster kills her from the south.
What am I missing?

I just rushed over there as fast as possible with
Rinkah to save her. Sakura can lose in this chapter and it doesn't matter. Hinoka is the one that needs to stay alive.

In Chapter 4,
What am I missing?

Take the left route, clearing the mountains. If you get in the monster's attack range before it can attack Sakura, it will attack you instead. From the right, the sky knight will protect her.
Though, like others said, it doesn't really matter. You can talk to the sky knight to get an item, but talking to Sakura doesn't net you anything.

Sucks that you can't dual guard anymore if you're just adjacent to your units but the trade off for it seems fair enough. At least they made pairing up alot more useful now compared to awakening.

Yeah, trade-off is it's very consistent this time around so you can control and use it from the beginning of the game. More importantly, balanced enough so the enemy can use it this time without you screaming when they get a lucky Dual Guard. :p Broken as it was, thank goodness it was a player-only tool in Awakening...

Wait, True Hit isn't in this game? That would explain how I've missed more >95% chances in 7 chapters than my entire FE history combined.

Mhm. On the flip-side, I've never dodged so many 70%s in my life, including at least three near the end of a chapter that would've caused a reset. lol

Im at chapter 12 and might have to start focusing on my pairs lol. Anyways I been smooth sailing so far in Hard mode Conquest thanks to Effie & Silas. I remember in chapter 11 sending Effie with Silas guard stance in the room where the ninjas lunge you around and she didn't even take damage :') She solo'd 2 ninjas and I let Selena get some exp for the rest.

Whose your team's MVP so far GAF?

Kinsei

Banned
Im at chapter 12 and might have to start focusing on my pairs lol. Anyways I been smooth sailing so far in Hard mode Conquest thanks to Effie & Silas. I remember in chapter 11 sending Effie with Silas guard stance in the room where the ninjas lunge you around and she didn't even take damage :') She solo'd 2 ninjas and I let Selena get some exp for the rest.

Silas, Corrin, and Jakob are my MVP's so far. If I had to choose one then it's Jakob.

So I just picked up Conquest and I've tried to not read anything up on the games this time and I just have one question.

Does your character transfer over to the next game or do you make a different main character for the next game?

Playing hard birthright, Corrin, Hinoka, and Hana are probably my main MVPs. Hana with an armorslayer absolutely tears through armored enemies. Also really liking Kaden, especially with his innate beast killing abilities

Top Bottom