• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I haven't played today yet, but I'll be back on in a few hours.

I made it to Chapter 12 of Hard/Classic Conquest. This is where I decide who's getting benched and who I'm using. I appreciate that every unit (except Mozu) was useful during the early chapters.

I do intend on getting some of the child units. I already have a few pairings decided, but I have no idea who Corrin will marry.

Asking again for a new page.

With permadeath, doesn't that make it so that the game can reach an X-com level fail state, where you don't have enough units to field to even beat the game?

Ponn

Banned
He's good, but he pretty much always needs a homie next to him or he can't hit shit

I use support alot so thats not bad its just his voice, ugh. I can't imagine someone loving him and making a kid then i'd have to deal with him even more.

I'm having Mozu shadow Corrin right now and i'm afraid her and Felicia are gonna start having a cat fighter over him soon.

CSX

With permadeath, doesn't that make it so that the game can reach an X-com level fail state, where you don't have enough units to field to even beat the game?

You dont have to put a unit on every available spot. However letting everyone die to the point your main character and a few other survive will make the game impossible to progress.

Crosseyes

Banned
I'm sure that if I do do a playthrough of Nohr that you'll end up working towards some good guy type path but I had to pick Hoshido for the first time through.

Initial choice chapter 6 spoiler:
Oh hello family you missed me so much? Yeah cool thanks for keeping me locked up for years to keep me from seeing Nohr is clearly the aggressor. Can't wait to burn down Nohr castle with my oh so loving 'family' inside eventually.

The big brother guy from Nohr is supposedly a smart guy. Your reaction to me accusing Nohr's king of being evil is to lash out and try to kill me? I'll be dancing on your grave before my playthrough is over.

You dont have to put a unit on every available spot. However letting everyone die to the point your main character and a few other survive will make the game impossible to progress.

Well shit. No wonder people restart whenever a single person dies, if you don't, then you can find yourself in the unwinnable state before you know it. =\

Now I'm really torn as to what difficulty to pick.

Well shit. No wonder people restart whenever a single person dies, if you don't, then you can find yourself in the unwinnable state before you know it. =\

Do classic! There's nothing quite like the soul crushing feeling of having a unit die right before you complete the chapter :")

Gestahl

You can get ringers from other my castles if you pony up the cash (money dlc if out of cash) or beat their team legit in a skirmish. There's also capturing units with Niles and Orochi. I think Fates is kind of unfuckable as far as completion goes

Eh, you get so many units that if you let even 10 die you should be fine, as long as the 10 aren't the first 10 units you get. The reseting is more so to keep the game challenging, because if you play in a way that you use your weak unit as meat shields, the game isn't that hard.

flohen95

FE 11 and 12 implemented a system where you'd get generic characters if your army gets to small, but I think Awakening ditched that and Fates probably followed suit, so yeah, you could end up not being able to complete the game. Technically, you'd be able to complete the game since you can train using the EXP DLC or if you're playing Birthright, so you'd just be able to grind until you can solo the chapters.

But yeah, its certainly possible to back yourself up to a wall with little options outside of starting a new game, unless I missed something. Not that versed in FE Fates stuff yet since the EU release is still on the horizon.

You can get ringers from other my castles if you pony up the cash (money dlc if out of cash) or beat their team legit in a skirmish. There's also capturing units with Niles and Orochi. I think Fates is kind of unfuckable as far as completion goes

Can you explain this a bit more?

Shun

The biggest reason why people pick classic is because it does give the game the allure of more strategy and making you think properly before planning out your move.

You don't get the crutch of being reckless like you do with Casual since every turn and every life counts. That means no using characters as a sacrificial lamb or brute forcing your way through a chapter.

There is no limit to grinding in Conquest with the DLC right?

I can't stand finishing the game without everyone maxed support and level 20

No but the EXP DLC isn't super easy. You can still die by being stupid and it can take a long time to grind it out because of the EXP gains and level differential. The DLC gets harder the farther you are into the game.

In this game Niles and Orochi have a skill to capture defeated units and throw them in your dungeon prison in My Castle. You need the prison first to be able to use it.

When he talks about gold, you can go visit other castles and use your in game money to buy items and buy skills. It breaks the game, but gold is finite and hard to get without DLC grinding. The stuff is also very expensive so you can break the game if you want, it just doesn't break it as easily as Awakening allows you to.

Chapter 2 Lunatic took me an embarrassing number of tries to beat, I'm going to blame it on the Dragon's Vein because that thing was actively unhelpful.

I'm actually going to blame myself for being a scrublord.

Gestahl

If you visit another player's castle online they might have a shop that sells character cards of their units or some randos. You buy those they join your party.

If you challenge their online team to a battle and win with no handicap you can choose to get one of their units or buy a skill.

Niles and Orochi can capture units and throw them in your castle's prison. If you offer up enough resources or negotiate their price down to zero the captured unit will join your team.

The biggest reason why people pick classic is because it does give the game the allure of more strategy and making you think properly before planning out your move.

You don't get the crutch of being reckless like you do with Casual since every turn and every life counts. That means no using characters as a sacrificial lamb or brute forcing your way through a chapter.

No but the EXP DLC isn't super easy. You can still die by being stupid and it can take a long time to grind it out because of the EXP gains and level differential. The DLC gets harder the farther you are into the game.

In this game Niles and Orochi have a skill to capture defeated units and throw them in your dungeon prison in My Castle. You need the prison first to be able to use it.

When he talks about gold, you can go visit other castles and use your in game money to buy items and buy skills. It breaks the game, but gold is finite and hard to get without DLC grinding. The stuff is also very expensive so you can break the game if you want, it just doesn't break it as easily as Awakening allows you to.

Thanks, you've been very helpful. I suppose I'll dive in. Any tips for someone that is essentially brand new? Or somewhere you can point me? I don't really want my first run at Fire Emblem to end with me halfway through the game unable to progress.

Leiru

Thanks, you've been very helpful. I suppose I'll dive in. Any tips for someone that is essentially brand new? Or somewhere you can point me? I don't really want my first run at Fire Emblem to end with me halfway through the game unable to progress.

You don't have to always rush in. in chapters 5 and 8 for conquest all i did was make a square with my units and have healers heal from a distance.

Shun

There won't ever be a point where you are unable to progress because you are able to lower difficulty and modes in the middle of the game. You can't raise it tho, so be sure you think it's 100% impossible or not fun before going down.

The most helpful thing to learn is that all moves have consequences an the best way to play is to play defensively and not overcommit. Know what tactics will save your butt and guarantee a KO and when to runaway. Charging in and attacking is never a good strategy unless you know for sure you won't die.

We have a whole OT and community thread who have finished the entire game already. Any troubles with a certain chapter we can give hints and tips. Just won't give you a full on turn by turn strategy because well, we want people to think and be challenged and have fun.

CSX

If you are really that scared about being unable to progress due to bad playing, just stick to casual mode. You can even treat casual mode like classic mode by just soft-resetting (L+R+Start) and restarting the chapter when a unit dies like what most FE players do when they lose a unit :p

On Ch. 8 Hard Nohr and getting all the houses:
Played Lunatic myself, but assuming there's a Freeze staff at play, there's a trick to beating it. Whoever's frozen can't move which'd make things Hell if you're trapped and near the enemy, but that doesn't mean they can't Pair Up with someone nearby who's not frozen.

Aside from that, use both Dragon Veins at the end of your turn rather than at the start. It keeps you safe from anyone on the sidelines. Also locks out the soldiers trying to reach the houses and delays them by a turn.

Chapter 2 Lunatic took me an embarrassing number of tries to beat, I'm going to blame it on the Dragon's Vein because that thing was actively unhelpful.

It was...equally embarrassing for me.
"Haha, enemy samurai ain't going for the entrances to the area I'm in. What a dumb---Hey, what's that ninja doi--WAIT, STOP, NOOOOOOO"

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

I think ch 2 on Lunatic was a really cool "tutorial" chapter. You really have to abuse the chokepoints and the maid's -2 damage skill/debuffs while skirting the edge of the enemy's danger zone to succeed.

Anustart

First Fire Emblem game. I liked the (small) taste the Awakening demo gave me. Birthright or Conquest? I do like challenging games.

Also, what difficulty? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
WVW69i6qNLsf9F6yBm
WVW69i6qPLQMV45v7d

Wow I;m surprised people aren't posted their Castle Cards. I JUST got mine up and running. So I noticed when you battle another person's castle you can wreck their buildings and stuff. Does that actually have a negative affect on that user's castle IRL? I haven't actually figured everything out, but this seems like a really fun diversion from going through the main story line.

So being next to a comrade means you attack twice

No need to pair of this time?

What's the difference between the two
Pairing up you can't attack twice, but it will defend a attack when the gauge is filled. Also pairing up prevents dual strikes.

So if wanna attack twice, don't pair up. If you want to defend against dual strikes you pair up

Gaz_RB

If you are really that scared about being unable to progress due to bad playing, just stick to casual mode. You can even treat casual mode like classic mode by just soft-resetting (L+R+Start) and restarting the chapter when a unit dies like what most FE players do when they lose a unit :p

Thank you for this shortcut

I think ch 2 on Lunatic was a really cool "tutorial" chapter. You really have to abuse the chokepoints and the maid's -2 damage skill/debuffs while skirting the edge of the enemy's danger zone to succeed.
I found it way easier to just ignore using the Dragon's Vein and use the bonus damage from Gunter's skill + attack stance to OHKO Kaze while Rinkah's group is still maneuvering around the rubble. Taking on each group at the same time was far more difficult (though I could have done it once if I hadn't missed a 80% hit)

Birthright 11 on Hard, holy zerg rush. I can easily decimate the enemies with Takumi and based Setsuna, but that rush at the end is killing me. Do the enemies rush you if you go for the final dragon vein early? Thinking of using a rescue strat to activate it asap.

any guides/walkthroughs out there yet that will help me not miss characters/important stuff?

also, guides on not screwing up anything regarding leveling characters?

lastly, are there any characters to avoid that already start pre-promoted and stuff that will screw up your exp gains?

anyone on these?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
First Fire Emblem game. I liked the (small) taste the Awakening demo gave me. Birthright or Conquest? I do like challenging games.

Also, what difficulty? I have no idea what I'm doing.
I'd try Birthright. Conquest is more complex and a bit more min/maxing your limited resources. The difficulty curve is smoother this way.

Is this your first tactical game? If so, try Normal. Or, if you don't mind struggling a little at the beginning, start on Hard. You can turn it down (but not up) to Normal after chapter 6 if it's too difficult.

If you've played games like XCOM or FFT, try Hard.

I found it way easier to just ignore using the Dragon's Vein and use the bonus damage from Gunter's skill + attack stance to OHKO Kaze while Rinkah's group is still maneuvering around the rubble. Taking on each group at the same time was far more difficult (though I could have done it once if I hadn't missed a 80% hit)
Oh yeah, that would work too! Didn't even think about it haha. I tried to minimize the number of dudes Gunter killed, so he took out the 2 dudes on the right and just tanked the ninja while healing.

Chapter 13 Conquest isn't hard, but I can get to one of the houses in time, are they worth it?

I already skipped some chests last chapter, but I feel they have good weapons that I'm missing out on.

MrDaravon

Quick question; are being able to make and load Battle Saves Casual-only? I decided to go Hard/Casual with the intent of still restarting if I lost a character but to also give myself an "out" in case at some point in the game I was just like fuck it whatever and wanted to progress without having to worry about that. In the battle I'm on I lost a character and to my surprise I was able to load my battle save (I assumed that was just like a temporary save thing) and I can't remember how this worked in Awakening. Basically if it's a Casual-only thing I want to go back to my pre-chapter save.

Shun

What the FUCK is with Camilla
saying all those weird incestous things?

Play her supports for characters and you'll find out why. If you want to know.

Major Character Spoilers

It's because Camilla is insecure and she loves Corrin because of the lack of love she had growing up. Unlike Xander, her and the other siblings are illegitimate children from Garon's concubines and Camilla specifically had to deal with abuse growing up in Nohr.
She knows they're not related and she feels she has a sisterly responsibility and is somewhat torn.

It also is not the first fire emblem game where this is the case, there are 4-5 other Fire Emblem games where familial love is a big part of the game through supports. Martha's game has it, Fire Emblem 4 and 5 have it, Sacred Stones has it, Awakening can have it.

Chapter 13 Conquest isn't hard, but I can get to one of the houses in time, are they worth it?

I already skipped some chests last chapter, but I feel they have good weapons that I'm missing out on.

You only get 5000 gold, a Master Seal, a Blessed Lance, and an item to raise the weapon level for your character. Not really worth it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So being next to a comrade means you attack twice

No need to pair of this time?

What's the difference between the two

EDIT: This is a much better post than mine:

Pairing up you can't attack twice, but it will defend a attack when the gauge is filled. Also pairing up prevents dual strikes.

So if wanna attack twice, don't pair up. If you want to defend against dual strikes you pair up

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Quick question; are being able to make and load Battle Saves Casual-only? I decided to go Hard/Casual with the intent of still restarting if I lost a character but to also give myself an "out" in case at some point in the game I was just like fuck it whatever and wanted to progress without having to worry about that. In the battle I'm on I lost a character and to my surprise I was able to load my battle save (I assumed that was just like a temporary save thing) and I can't remember how this worked in Awakening. Basically if it's a Casual-only thing I want to go back to my pre-chapter save.

Yeah, battle saves are casual only. Classic has bookmark saves. It was like that in Awakening too.

Anustart

I'd try Birthright. Conquest is more complex and a bit more min/maxing your limited resources. The difficulty curve is smoother this way.

Is this your first tactical game? If so, try Normal. Or, if you don't mind struggling a little at the beginning, start on Hard. You can turn it down (but not up) to Normal after chapter 6 if it's too difficult.

If you've played games like XCOM or FFT, try Hard.

Oh yeah, that would work too! Didn't even think about it haha. I tried to minimize the number of dudes Gunter killed, so he took out the 2 dudes on the right and just tanked the ninja while healing.

I'm playing through Xcom right now!

Hah I just asked this same question a few hours ago in this thread. As it was explained to me:

Attacking adjacent means you get the adjacent unit to join your attack. You'll notice on the pre-battle info you'll see a +N next to your Attack. (For example if you'll see Attack 8 +4), that means that the person next to you will join in and do +4 damage immediately after you do your Attack damage of 8.

Pairing doesn't do this. You just attack once with the stat bonus from the pairing. HOWEVER, I'm still unsure if you Pair Up and then have an adjacent unit if you still get the second +N attack, my guess is no.

So yeah, there's not much reason to Pair Up when attacking, because the extra damage boost you'll get from an adjacent attacker outweighs the stat increase from Pairing Up. I guess Pairing Up is mostly for fast movement and sheltering a weak party member.

My question: When paired up and you are attacked, will both characters counter attack that are paired, or just the main unit?

To add to that, Tag Team (attacking adjacent to a comrade) is mainly for offensive purposes so you trigger the comrade's additional attack.

Pair Up is mainly for defensive as you gain higher stats and you can build up a shield gauge to negate 1 attack. In addition, Pair Up prevents the enemy from using Tag Team.

About the question, I don't quite understand sadly. I assume my second paragraph answers it?

Shun

I'm playing through Xcom right now!

I suggest going through Hard and choosing whether version is more appealing to you. You can always lower the difficulty later but you can't raise it. Better to go harder and thinking it's too hard then going normal and finding it too easy and having to restart a file.

Top Bottom