• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Bauer91

How big of a mistake did I make by using three Master Seals as soon as I could, on my best level 10 characters, including Corrin? Didn't know it's recommended to wait until they're level 20 so they get all the stats upgrades first.

Kinsei

Banned
How big of a mistake did I make by using three Master Seals as soon as I could, on my best level 10 characters, including Corrin? Didn't know it's recommended to wait until they're level 20 so they get all the stats upgrades first.

What game and difficulty?

Bauer91

What game and difficulty?

Birtright and Normal. Just finished Awakening, my first FE, yesterday, the last chapter probably wouldn't have been so insanely hard on Normal had I waited before using the Master Seals.

And how do you know which weapons to buy when they don't show who can use them and how much stronger they are then the weapons equipped like in Awakening?

Loco4Coco

Setsuna is the amazing. Always get a laugh when she says "I'm sooo happy" when she levels up.

I'm really enjoying the game but I feel like I'm not making enough money. Most of my units are able to use C-ranked weapons but I can barely afford any.

The key to weapons is that stronger weapons tend to also have disadvantages that require you to be smart about using them. I'm on chapter 15 of birthright, and I still tend to use iron a lot

Kinsei

Banned
Birtright and Normal. Just finished Awakening, my first FE yesterday, the last chapter probably wouldn't have been so insanely hard on normal had I waited before using the Master Seals.

And how do you know which weapons to buy when they don't show who can use them and how much stronger they are then the weapons equipped like in Awakening?

It shouldn't be a big deal then.

It does show who can use them. If the weapon is greyed out then it means that character can't use it. You have to compare manually. I guess it's this way because strength isn't everything in this game due to the way weapons work.

Bauer91

It shouldn't be a big deal then.

It does show who can use them. If the weapon is greyed out then it means that character can't use it. You have to compare manually. I guess it's this way because strength isn't everything in this game due to the way weapons work.

Hmm, I thought I bought an expensive non-greyed out weapon for a character that the game didn't want to auto-equip to it so I was confused. I guess weapons just don't work like they did in Awakening where you just bought stronger ones.

silva1991

Ryoma
beat
Xander
after one turn in chapter 6 and the battle is over :/

I hope next chapters aren't like this where they force the leader fighting at the very beginning.

I've spent about 4 hours trying to clear chapter 8 of Conquest and I'm finally about to do it. Unfortunately,
Silas
bit the dust. Will I be fine without him?

I've spent about 4 hours trying to clear chapter 8 of Conquest and I'm finally about to do it. Unfortunately,
Silas
bit the dust. Will I be fine without him?

I would say you should just kept him, Silas is a solid Cavalier and he's been helping me alot so far in the game.

Dad

How hard can Birthright be if I crank up the difficulty?

So far (about 10 chapters), it's been pretty satisfying without being frustrating on hard mode. It's still probably pretty easy for vets of the series though. Can't comment on lunatic

I was getting gains on her much like the gains I was getting on Donnel in Awakening, she's pretty beast. The hardest part for me was getting her up to snuff enough where she wouldn't almost die every battle she was in.

Yeah it was pretty annoying especially in Chapter 8 where enemies were just coming from everywhere. Would i do is just have Silas hit the enemy by himself which would would do around 15 damage and then just send over Mozu to finish him off along with Corrin or another character next to hear just to make sure. She gets the experience regardless and so far I was able to level her up all the way to 5 so now she's at least doing some decent damage.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So, FE stories are really not much to write home about, but after getting to chapter six, it's pretty astounding how weird the writing is in this game. I'm not going to outright say it's bad, it's just all super rushed? Events seem to be happening with no build up at all, dialogue is extremely simple and brief... it's weird. It's even different than Awakening.

To have a story where you have to pick between two sides, why go this route? It's so easy to make two empathetic sides... but they chose not to do that.

This is probably the worst writing/story I've ever seen in a fire emblem. The forced anecdotes for why you know character X, Y, Z; the open book biographies the second you meet characters, and the evil characters just going MWAHAHAHHAHAHA from the second you meet them... yeah just get Chris Metzen to do this shit he'd probably write a better story and better characters LOL.

I miss my GBA fire emblem days with some deep characters (specifically enemies), tragic villains/anti-heroes, and somewhat cliche but still fun betrayals.

Neoxon

So far (about 10 chapters), it's been pretty satisfying without being frustrating on hard mode. It's still probably pretty easy for vets of the series though. Can't comment on lunatic
Well I did play the DS remake of Shadow Dragon, the GBA game, both of Ike's games (Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn), & Awakening. Should I go with Conquest in this case, or stick with Birthright & go for a Lunatic run?

Pau

So who is this games Donnel. Playing cpnquest now but have the special edition assuming characters transfer pver. Donnel is best.
Mozu is a Villager has the Aptitude skill but the Villager class is no longer a training class so you're not getting those extra level ups. She can reclass to an archer.

This is probably the worst writing/story I've ever seen in a fire emblem. The forced anecdotes for why you know character X, Y, Z; the open book biographies the second you meet characters, and the evil characters just going MWAHAHAHHAHAHA from the second you meet them... yeah just get Chris Metzen to do this shit he'd probably write a better story and better characters LOL.

I miss my GBA fire emblem days with some deep characters (specifically enemies), tragic villains/anti-heroes, and somewhat cliche but still fun betrayals.

Yeah the first 6 chapters just feels so rushed and makes me think this could have been alot better if they had spread it out more rather than just throw it all out at once.

Jims

This game is so good. This kind of game is exactly what a new entry should be. The hidden weapons class adds so much to the gameplay and the character builds and abilities are so much more nuanced and interesting. The double-attacks vs pairing system is a game changer.

I thought Rinkah would just be a typical axe user but then I look at her stats and abilities and it tells a completely different story... Was using her completely wrong. Then I look at my Sky Knight and discover she has more defense than a bunch of my units. And Felicia is like a Support Queen.

This is going to take some getting used to.

Ryoma
beat
Xander
after one turn in chapter 6 and the battle is over :/

I hope next chapters aren't like this where they force the leader fighting at the very beginning.
They don't have to fight I avoided it because i knew Ryoma would win. Just focus on 4 other characters

Dad

Well I did play the DS remake of Shadow Dragon, the GBA game, both of Ike's games (Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn), & Awakening. Should I go with Conquest in this case, or stick with Birthright & go for a Lunatic run?

Conquest is structured more like traditional FE, so start there if you preferred the pre-Awakening games (consensus is that's it's plenty hard even just on hard mode). If you do go with Birthright, you might as well start on Lunatic since you can always drop difficulty mid-campaign (you can't raise it back up though)

Neoxon

Conquest is structured more like traditional FE, so start there if you preferred the pre-Awakening games (consensus is that's it's plenty hard even just on hard mode). If you do go with Birthright, you might as well start on Lunatic since you can always drop difficulty mid-campaign (you can't raise it back up though)
I liked both the pre-Awakening & Awakening styles equally, but I'm sympathizing more with Hoshido. That being said, I'll likely get the other campaign as well as Revelations. It's just a matter of which campaign I'll play first.

Dad

I liked both the pre-Awakening & Awakening styles equally, but I'm sympathizing more with Hoshido. That being said, I'll likely get the other campaign as well as Revelations. It's just a matter of which campaign I'll play first.

Personal preference, but I'd go Hoshido to Nohr then. Nohr has more varied mission design, so you're less likely to get burnt out while playing them all

I typically don't write off stories early in the game, buts it's been a couple chapters since joining Nohr and nothing is happening.

Also I created another save to see what Corrin saids if you pick Hoshido
and it makes Conquest Corrin look stupid

Neoxon

Personal preference, but I'd go Hoshido to Nohr then. Nohr has more varied mission design, so you're less likely to get burnt out while playing them all
So Birthright then. Thanks, at least I now know how to go about my budget.

So healers cannot heal themselves?

Also, if I'm paired up with a healer, I can't heal my support?

If they have the Live to Serve skill, they will heal HP equal to their target. There are some joke/random staves that heal the user as well.

No, you have to switch units. On the plus side, your support won't take damage unless your healer dies : )

Post chapter 6 impressions!

The map design in this is really good. All of the maps so far have been interesting and varied, with a lot of neat intricacies. I'm impressed at how much better this is than Awakening's.

Making the decision was actually kind of hard. I knew what I was going to pick (Hoshido) but it was still kind of sad to see the disappointment from the Nohr Royals. Especially Xander.

The story is kind of rough but I don't think it's as bad as everyone is saying so far, it's not great but as far as video game stories go I wouldn't say it stands out as especially terrible.

Corrin is unsurpisingly really good. Doing pair up with Gunter made him snowball pretty quickly and now he has strong durability and offense, though he can't quite consistently double yet for me. Kaze is fantastic so far as well, he just requires some more careful positioning. Sakura/Felicia are healbot/10, Azura is Dancer/10, Rinkah is Kaze's statbooster/10.

Post chapter 6 impressions!

The map design in this is really good. All of the maps so far have been interesting and varied, with a lot of neat intricacies. I'm impressed at how much better this is than Awakening's.

Making the decision was actually kind of hard. I knew what I was going to pick (Hoshido) but it was still kind of sad to see the disappointment from the Nohr Royals. Especially Xander.

The story is kind of rough but I don't think it's as bad as everyone is saying so far, it's not great but as far as video game stories go I wouldn't say it stands out as especially terrible.

Corrin is unsurpisingly really good. Doing pair up with Gunter made him snowball pretty quickly and now he has strong durability and offense, though he can't quite consistently double yet for me. Kaze is fantastic so far as well, he just requires some more careful positioning. Sakura/Felicia are healbot/10, Azura is Dancer/10, Rinkah is Kaze's statbooster/10.
Story concept is good, I'm just disappointed knowing this could've been done better.

McBryBry

As my first FE game, this is wrecking me. I think I'm gonna start over and try and get a better grasp of things, because I'm getting whooped right now lol. When do you guys recommend playing the challenge maps after you pick a side? Rolling Birthright on hard mode.

Top Bottom