• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Kinsei

Banned
As my first FE game, this is wrecking me. I think I'm gonna start over and try and get a better grasp of things, because I'm getting whooped right now lol. When do you guys recommend playing the challenge maps after you pick a side? Rolling Birthright on hard mode.

As soon as they appear. They can be steamrolled by your main team so use them to train up your reserve members.

So I made Sakura an Onmyouji after level 20, and holy shit can she kill now. My previous mage character (Orochi) kind of disappointed me, and compounded with Sakura's character I really didn't expect her to be this good

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Whose your team's MVP so far GAF?
Playing Lunatic Birthright and so far it's been Kaze. Paired with Rinkah, he:

does respectable damage
double hits everything with his speed
dodge tanks everything, all incoming hits are <70%, and he gets a dual guard every 2 battles
debuffs anything he can't kill

Only downside is that Rinkah is getting no exp being constantly stuck to Kaze, ha.

Kinsei

Banned
Playing Lunatic Birthright and so far it's been Kaze. Paired with Rinkah, he:

does respectable damage
double hits everything with his speed
dodge tanks everything, all incoming hits are <70%, and he gets a dual guard every 2 battles
debuffs anything he can't kill

Only downside is that Rinkah is getting no exp being constantly stuck to Kaze, ha.

That's not a downside.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
That's not a downside.
But I'm on ch8 and she has the highest DEF on my team so far; just ahead of Subaki (why pegasi so tanky tho).

I feel like with her unique skill and that base DEF, she's probably meant to just be a straight tank. A slightly speedier axe knight-ish thing. I like it.

Shun

Elfie is a goddess. Orochi sucks too.

8 months later I still can't unsee Niles mushroom eye. It is not eyepatch... Still can't unseen Lobster Ryouma.

Some of these characters I can never take seriously.

Wilsongt

Felicia is proving to be amazing, also.

So far Effie, Silas, Corrin, Felicia, and even THE CHIN OF JUSTICE are pulling their weight. Odin is meh for me. Niles is okay. Nyx... Meh. Then I just got Not Severa, Not Inigo, and Peri.

I am debating downloading Birthright just to get a dread scroll for Mozu.

DNAbro

Got to chapter 9 and I'm really enjoying it. Playing casual/normal and it's good enough for me. I was able to marry of Subaki and then tried the map for his child and got completely destroyed. Not even close to finishing it.

Jospina

Banned
Stuck on Chapter 5 playing on Hard. It feels like I'm mainly getting destroyed because my characters are under-leveled (Lv4) compared to the NPCs on the map (Lv7.)

My guys get 1-shot to often, I have to rely on corrin being able to 1-shot people and using azura's song to give him another turn, and use the other characters as bait to keep enemies off corrin/azura. I made it to the last NPC in the map, he had 10 health, my attack missed, then he killed me. Fucking sucked.

Yeah, Rinkah isn't that good. Which is unfortunate when she's one of two natural axe/maxe users in birthright

Rinkah's an odd unit. She's kind of like a knight only with an axe, much better speed overall and below average HP and Strength growths (which is exactly why I've gotten HP and Strength when I leveled up with her three and four out of five times respectively). :p

I don't know how she'll stack up in the end game (currently at chapter 9 for Birthright) but she's definitely useable IMO even just as a support bot and is probably one of my best units in my Birthright run.

On a different note is it worth continuing to use Sakura or should I drop her for Azama?

Shun

You can use anyone and be fine in Birthright. But Sakura gets completely outclassed and Azama gives a child.

So I mean you can do what you want with her.

A lot of the descriptions in the OP are jokes and parodies made by the JP fanbase so if you find it accurate in the english version then I think Treehouse did a good job.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
You can use anyone and be fine in Birthright. But Sakura gets completely outclassed and Azama gives a child.

So I mean you can do what you want with her.

A lot of the descriptions in the OP are jokes and parodies made by the JP fanbase so if you find it accurate in the english version then I think Treehouse did a good job.
I don't know about everyone else, but I will be trying a no-grind run on Birthright so these discussions are definitely useful for me! Ain't nobody got time for grinding when there are two other games to play!

Erudite

Stuck on Chapter 5 playing on Hard. It feels like I'm mainly getting destroyed because my characters are under-leveled (Lv4) compared to the NPCs on the map (Lv7.)

My guys get 1-shot to often, I have to rely on corrin being able to 1-shot people and using azura's song to give him another turn, and use the other characters as bait to keep enemies off corrin/azura. I made it to the last NPC in the map, he had 10 health, my attack missed, then he killed me. Fucking sucked.
For the last bit, you can cheese it by realizing the boss doesn't move. Before you engage, heal Corrin to full health, and have the healer outside of the boss' attack range (you can see this by highlighting him) to heal Corrin after each attack on the boss.

I found Ch. 5 pretty poorly balanced as well, requiring a very specific set of moves to complete it, which made it feel more like a puzzle game than a strategy game. I'm hoping I don't see more of that in Birthright.

Shun

Yeah Sakura is outclassed as a healer. Keep her support so that you can pass on good magic growths and stats down to your child mage of choice.

For those already getting children, it's not as broken as Awakening.

Children don't get the average stats of their parents, they just inherit the growths and the base stats and when you get them, you get stats that are equivalent to your party level at the moment.

So say you are level 15 and you get a child, the child will be around that level with stats approximately around there so the child unit will not have huge stats like in Awakening unless you are near end game.

Skills pass down like the past game, the last skill equipped.

Hugstable

Banned
Do I need to do these Castle Invasions right away or can I save them for later on in the campaign. Playing Birthright and saw I have an Invasion 1, but not sure I'm strong enough to do it yet

Jims

...Oh.

Subaki is a man.

Haha, this is what I get for assuming and playing with the sound off. I see a pegasus flyer with long flowing hair and just assumed.

(Which is ironic because my Corrin is male and also has long red hair. I blame the pegasus.)

KingV

So, I think I've heard people mention Archers being really good in this game. Is this true? If so, why?

Aren't they always? A high level speedy sniper with a brave or killer bow is like my Fire Emblem go to since whenever the first one that came to the US came out.

So, I think I've heard people mention Archers being really good in this game. Is this true? If so, why?
Not so much "really good" as much as "substantially better than usual". There's a couple reasons, one is the nerf to the traditional 1-2 range weapons (javelins, hand axes) which make having 2-range more valuable than when your paladin with a javelin could do the exact same thing. The second big one is that their enemy phase is a lot stronger due to attack stance, which lets them contribute to counters before when they couldn't. The third is that the game just gives you archers with good base stats, which means no shitty Rolf or Virion who is good only for forced deployment chip damage.

They still have typical archer problem of not being able to counter at 1-range but they are significantly more useful than normal.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Can enemies dynamically pair up/separate? So far, they only come in premade pairs and stay that way. Game could be devilishly hard if they could do it intelligently.

Sora_N

I haven't finished any FE games yet, but I picked hard and classic. What's the difference for hard mode vs the normal difficulty?

Any tips for me? :) I have the SE, I'm probably going Conquest.

My MC is +Luk -Magic

This has probably been brought up in the thread already (I haven't been reading everything, as I want to learn the new mechanics as blindly as I can), but in the early chapters after the branch, most of you will have picked up some very familiar recruits, like (recruitment spoilers up to Conquest Ch. 10)
Odin/Owain and Selena/Severa
. There is a little treat in the Records Hall unit roster about their homeland and history.
I also love Odin's personal skill&#8212;a neat throwback to the Missiletainn. I wonder how this worked in the original Japanese.

Can enemies dynamically pair up/separate? So far, they only come in premade pairs and stay that way. Game could be devilishly hard if they could do it intelligently.

They do (at least on Hard&#8212;don't know about Normal). I believe it follows the same movement rules as the player (though I don't think I've seen any of them transfer supporting units to each other just yet). You have to watch out for it and price it into your calculations. I've been caught off guard by this behaviour more than once.

Shun

I haven't finished any FE games yet, but I picked hard and classic. What's the difference for hard mode vs the normal difficulty?

Any tips for me? :) I have the SE, I'm probably going Conquest.

My MC is +Luk -Magic

Luck is probably the worst asset you can choose. Magic+ and Luck- is a lot better.

Hard is well harder and you have stronger/more enemies than in previous difficulties. AI as well.

Learn how to play defensively, not overcommit, and let the enemy come to you. Only go in when you know you will survive and kill the enemy. That's all that is there to it, just thinking and making safe and smart decisions.

I'm having trouble choosing what to buy...
Still using mostly Bronze weapons going into Chapter 14...

Iron is probably the safest in general. Steel if you know you will outspeed your enemy and won't get doubled. Tho you are close to a point where you can get more weapons so save your money.

Give Beruka Killer Axe/Berserker and enjoy 60-70% cries she survives more and makes a much better Berserker than Charlotte or Arthur. Corrin a Levin Sword if he can. So on so forth. Just hope you have enough gold for it and save up gold.

Tirod

So...Conquest Paralouge 1:

Is Mozu worth it? From her class name to her abilities, she's definitely Donnel 2.0. I treated her mission as Donnel's recruitment parameter (level up before mission end). Is giving her exp from chapters worth it compared to my other units (Hard Classic Conquest)? How long until she can promote/reclass?

ST2K

Is Mozu worth it? From her class name to her abilities, she's definitely Donnel 2.0. I treated her mission as Donnel's recruitment parameter (level up before mission end). Is giving her exp from chapters worth it compared to my other units (Hard Classic Conquest)? How long until she can promote/reclass?

She is carrying my team. Worth the XP easily, IMO. I reclassed her as an archer at level 10 and she is wrecking everything. I am on Normal though, so take that for what it's worth.

Hugstable

Banned

She's amazing, reclass her to Archer

TWILT

Banned
Yoo chapter 12 in Birthright
omg an actual escape mission in this game wtf this game keeps delivering

also kinda getting my ass kicked, gotta reconsider my strategy here

Hugstable

Banned
4% crit. Dead Niles.
Fuck you chapter 12.

God I have missed old Fire Emblem. It's not a true FE game unless you curse your console and the game, sigh, and start again.

That was me this morning, played perfect and got lots of good stat gains, get to boss of chapter 9 Borthright and watch as he crits my main character dead from like 5% chance. Thanks Fire Emblem ha. Got upset, took an hour break to chill, came back and wrecked him

Gruco

Banned
Playing Conquest, Hard, Classic.

Chapter 10. My dear lord. I finished it but I think I had more trouble with it than any other FE map. Including going through Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn on manic.

As much as I like the challenge...I can't keep doing that. Chapter 11 was a little easier but if it get much worse I may have to switch to Normal.

Hugstable

Banned
So Mozu is worth it?
Should've tried a little harder on leveling her up. I just tossed her aside along with Odin, Arthur and Nyx

Mozu is one of my best and most deadly units outside of Corrin. Rinkah probably my 3rd most useful, but that's mostly since she makes a really good tank when I play defensivly.

Flandy

Going to get a N3DS XL on Monday and th special edition in March. If I buy a copy of conquest will it be possible to transfer my save over to the special edition?
I'm planning on giving Conquest to a friend once my special edition arrives if I'm able to transfer my save.

My quick thoughts on Mozu -
There are four seals available in the game, and an extra from the Free DLC (Before Awakening). I am finding Mozu-rella (say it like the cheese, mean it like the Japanese movie monster) very useful/strong, and I turned her into a Merchant at Villager L10 (learned Underdog & base required to use a Master Seal, I think?). Other options were Exalt's Brand > Great Lord (that's from the "Before Awakening" free DLC mission), Master Seal > Master of Arms or Merchant, and Heart Seal adds > Sniper, Kinshi Knight to the selection if she's already a Promote Class from using a Master Seal. Using the Heart Seal first only gives you the option to go Archer.

I'm still not sure if promoting her to Merchant was a good idea, but I saved before doing so.

Mozu is one of my best and most deadly units outside of Corrin. Rinkah probably my 3rd most useful, but that's mostly since she makes a really good tank when I play defensivly.
I'm in Conquest Hard so i kinda didn't try, but I think I might try again since she can become an archer.

Korigama

Going to get a N3DS XL on Monday and th special edition in March. If I buy a copy of conquest will it be possible to transfer my save over to the special edition?
I'm planning on giving Conquest to a friend once my special edition arrives if I'm able to transfer my save.
No. Saves don't transfer between carts.

Playing Conquest, Hard, Classic.

Chapter 10. My dear lord. I finished it but I think I had more trouble with it than any other FE map. Including going through Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn on manic.

As much as I like the challenge...I can't keep doing that. Chapter 11 was a little easier but if it get much worse I may have to switch to Normal.

Same here. Finishing Chapter 10 on hard was a white-knuckle prayer to the RNG gods. I've never felt such an adrenaline rush watching my units get a couple lucky dodges on turn 11, my heart can't take much more of this, Christ.

Unfortunately, I lost Arthur on that mission. I'll miss that Chin.

Top Bottom