• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Chapter 10 conquest is kicking my butt. Got really close to the end then one of my characters got crit and died. Time to take a break and play splatfest.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm on the chapter 5 fight now... If characters die in this fight, they just retreat?

Only in the prologue chapters I think. Decision point after chapter 6 starts game proper, and if you chose classic mode, it's permadeath(still on prologue myself though, but this is my assumption).

rhandino

Banned
About to start Chapter 10 in Birthright... the maps so far are really nice and even more interesting than some of the ones in Awakening with my fave so far being the one were you recruit Sakura since it makes you think a biT about how to use Dragon Vein in your favor.

Oh and Azura is kind of amazing but I loved Olivia and the Herons from the previous games too =P

That's why you reclass him. Depending on his mother he makes a fantastic magic class.

Dark Knight/Dark Flier? God damn. Leon's son is like the greatest successor.

Dude is like straight up, The Hero Nohr Deserves, but not The Hero Nohr Needs.
He gets like +6 magic if Nyx is his mom...hmmmm..

In Conquest, when should I be promoting people? Does the pre-Awakening notion of "Wait for level 20" play here or should I be promoting sooner?

Shun

He gets like +6 magic if Nyx is his mom...hmmmm..

Dude you chose the best mom for him outside of Felicia. You did hella good.

Pair Odin with Felicia. You could Elise but I think Felicia is a little better.

In Conquest, when should I be promoting people? Does the pre-Awakening notion of "Wait for level 20" play here or should I be promoting sooner?

Unless you feel like a chapter is too hard and you need a Great Knight right away, always wait for 20 for the best stats by end of the game.

Jims

Birthright Hard Mode feels easier overall than Awakening's. I'm only on Chapter 9, but the enemies don't seem to pack much of a wallop. In previous games, I feel like they would regularly leave characters with a sliver of their life, whereas these guys just kinda do 1/3rd or half-damage attacks. As long as you bait them with a bulky character (with a support character standing right behind them) and they go down really easy. I'm sure it'll get harder later, but I expected more hair-pulling cheapness.

My Hana is turning out ridiculous so far. She's doubling, like, every enemy on the battlefield and is getting Strength growths almost every level.

Azuran

Banned
Chapter 10 on Birthright hard was insane. All those ninjas and their stat lowering weapons made them impossible to tank and they just kept on coming with no end on sight. Everyone talking about Chapter 10 in Conquest being difficult and all but the one in Birthright is no cakewalk either.

Seiru

Banned
So playing this series for the first time, on Hard Classic at the recommendation of a friend.

I don't think I'm having a good time, at all. Every fight comes down to:

1. Play some turns until somebody dies.
2. Restart the game.
3. Attempt to find the 'correct' way of playing those turns, until nobody dies, having to restart multiple times.
4. Play the next turn or two until somebody dies, etc.

Like what's the point? This is just Trial and Error: the game.

Kinsei

Banned
So playing this series for the first time, on Hard Classic at the recommendation of a friend.

2. Restart the game.
3. Attempt to find the 'correct' way of playing those turns, until nobody dies, having to restart multiple times.

You don't have a very good understanding of the game if that's how each chapter is playing out. What game are you playing and what chapter are you on?

DNAbro

Umm I'm fighting in chapter 10 in Birthright and one of the enemies I'm fighting just has no clothes on except underwear. I don't think that was supposed to happen.

Kinsei

Banned
Umm I'm fighting in chapter 10 in Birthright and one of the enemies I'm fighting just has no clothes on except underwear. I don't think that was supposed to happen.

Some weapons strip your opponents when you attack them. You might have one of them equipped.

Azuran

Banned

2. Restart the game.

There's no "correct" way to play the turns in the majority of chapters. You can tackle most of them any way you want with whatever character you like.

GamerSoul

I am 4 chapters in and I am enjoying it so far! The story has my attention. It feels good to be back in a Fire Emblem world. I'm playing Birthright but I also bought the code for Conquest since I heard it was more challenging.

Draxal

Kaze is beasting on my file.

2. Restart the game.

Honestly, your friend was wrong for recommending hard classic if this is your first time playing the series. The game has a learning curve.

Chapter 10 on Birthright hard was insane. All those ninjas and their stat lowering weapons made them impossible to tank and they just kept on coming with no end on sight. Everyone talking about Chapter 10 in Conquest being difficult and all but the one in Birthright is no cakewalk either.

Yeah that one was no cake walk and the Kanna mission is kicking my butt with all the constant re spawning enemies even after the main leader is dead.

It really is time consuming.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

2. Restart the game.

Permadeath exists for a reason...learn to roll with it, guaranteed to have a much better time AND you will gain for more satisfaction by the end growing a deeper bond with the survivors while never forgetting those you lost on the way.

If you just want to 'game' the system and pointlessly build an army of benchwarmers(no man ever dies!), then go play Casual mode, which exists for your play style...

vareon

2. Restart the game.

You're playing Trial and Error: The Game because you're playing it with a trial and error approach. Here's some point from me, who loved Fire Emblem but still sucks at it:

- It's a turn-based game, take your time positioning your units. The game allows you to freely forecast each battle's result for a reason.
- Learn the weapon triangles and watch out for enemy skills.
- Play it VERY safe, like luring enemies one-by-one or retreating into a safer position. Heal even characters with minor damage.
- The odds are never in your favor.

Hugstable

Banned

2. Restart the game.

Don't force yourself to play Classic if you aren't feeling it. It's awesome that the game has the options it does now cause I can definitely see why classic and permadeath may be enjoyable for some, but frustratingly terrible for others. I'm pretty sure you can change the difficulty on the fly now, and from the sounds of it the permadeath seems to be what's bugging you. Just bump it down to Hard/Casual, or if you want to keep trying classic but want easier time try Normal/Classic. If you aren't having a good time with it though on classic, I would say go to casual and get used to the games that way.

GamerSoul

so far I have one reset on a stupid move trying to give the maid a chance to kill an enemy. I'm so happy they can actually wield a weapon.

Seiru

Banned
You don't have a very good understanding of the game if that's how each chapter is playing out. What game are you playing and what chapter are you on?

I'm not even past the 'prologue' chapters, still in chapter 5...or whatever the one is where you need Corrin to first strike every enemy or you're basically dead.

I can't finish it with at least one person dying. All the enemies one shot every single one of my units, except for the Steel Sword guys on Corrin. I can use Sing to take out groups of two units, but the units bunch up near the end which makes that impossible. And then they single out and kill somebody.

Dad

I managed to get through Chapter 11 of Birthright by the skin of my teeth. Those fliers are fucking harrowing. On the bright side, my archers are like 4 levels higher than they were when I started

Xenoflare

Conquest chapter 16

What's the realistic amount of money if I plan out to get as much as experience as possible while getting most of the funds

2. Restart the game.

Tbh your friend shouldn't have recommended Hard Classic if this was your first take on the series.

You think its Trial and Error: the game because you are probably rushing through without assessing the situation.

1. Learn how to use Dangerzone, it'll show you where to place your units strategically and where to put your supports (healers) where they can't be attack.
2. Look at your enemies skills and learn the weapon triangle
3. Don't rush, Hard mode is very unforgiving if you try to play with reckless abandon.
4. A lot of maps will take a while to beat if you want to beat it efficiently, learn to play slowly.

suzu

I'm playing my physical copy of Conquest and was going to borrow Birthright after completion. But -- I won't get some bonuses unless I download both Birthright and Revelation?

What are the bonuses anyway?

Jims

I'm not even past the 'prologue' chapters, still in chapter 5...or whatever the one is where you need Corrin to first strike every enemy or you're basically dead.

I can't finish it with at least one person dying. All the enemies one shot every single one of my units, except for the Steel Sword guys on Corrin. I can use Sing to take out groups of two units, but the units bunch up near the end which makes that impossible. And then they single out and kill somebody.

That's probably the hardest of the first 9 chapters I've played. It gets a lot more manageable after that point. Chapter 5 is more of a puzzle game than an actual strategy game. Kaze has really good magic defense, so he is helpful in baiting the two mages into approaching.

Neoweee

2. Restart the game.

For the love of all that is holy, don't play your first time on Hard Classic. That's just a very bad idea. Your friend is a douche, or his only experience with the series was Awakening where Hard Classic is more reasonable.

Is there a canon choice between Conquest and Birthright?

No, and it is unlikely to ever really matter. And if any path does get chosen as canon, it would be Revelations.

Damn, the boss in Chapter 4 killed Felicia. I am kind of rusty as the last time I play Fire Emblem was almost ten years ago with the fact that this is the very first time I play hard mode.

Time to reset.

Kinsei

Banned

The mages shouldn't be able to one shot your units. Even with an excitable Corrin (-magic resistance) I was still able to take their hits. Even Azura was able to survive a spell for me.

You have the right idea of using Corrin to take out the enemy units. When they bunch up at the end you should still be able to take out two mages and then use a paired up Kaze and Rinkah as a wall to protect Azura (They should be able to take a hit) and you're golden. That's the strategy I used anyways.

Shun

This is the best way to tell what version someone is playing.

Takumi is the GOAT in Birthright and you'll see nothing but love.

Hell fucking no Takumi is a little shit in every single version. Takumi's hate in Birthright is lessened cause he's a decent unit. Doesn't take away from the fact he's still a prick.

I guess this could be a spoiler question, but
how does Revelations work? Is a continuation of one or the other, or is it choosing neither?

It's fuck both sides, we're killing god Shin Megami Tensei style and all of you Nohr and Hoshido servants are coming with me. That sort of thing. Not spoiling just an example.

I'm playing my physical copy of Conquest and was going to borrow Birthright after completion. But -- I won't get some bonuses unless I download both Birthright and Revelation?

What are the bonuses anyway?

Stat enhancers, class scrolls that you won't get unless you buy the DLC map pack. Plus your New Game+ won't carry over.

Azuran

Banned
Hell fucking no Takumi is a little shit in every single version. Takumi's hate in Birthright is lessened cause he's a decent unit. Doesn't take away from the fact he's still a prick

He can be a prick all he wants as long as he continues to one shot everything in his path.

Dad

If you have units on both the far left and right sides of that main obstacle when you trigger the final clump of units, you can split the group into two. Then I just sort of tried to maneuver one half around and into Corrin while he and Azura cleaned up the other half

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Man, really hitting a wall with Birthright Ch. 14 on Hard. It took a couple retries to figure out Ch. 10, but it wasn't that hard or anything of the sort. Just had to think smart and act slow. Most of the game has been decently challenging on Hard but nothing too difficult, especially compared to past games.

Now though I have no clue what to do here. Totally wide open map, shit tons of enemies and crappy starting position. Everyone sucks complete ass against mounted units and before I can even setup any kind of halfway decent defensive formation I've already got 7 weighing down on me, plus 3 Archers and 3 Knights. And within a turn there's another 6 mounted coming at me and another 7 the turn or two after that.

Kaden is the only non Pre-promote that can normally take out mounted units in one attack, but he's got dogshit defense and doesn't dodge nearly enough despite his crazy high speed and Avo. Everyone else can barely withstand a single attack against a paired Cavalier, and almost no one against a Paladin.

Top Bottom