• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Man, the game is harder than expected! Conquest in Hard/Classic is making me look like a rookie.
I've been trying for quite a while to beat a level... btw, is it worth it to train the villager girl? Aptitude seems nerfed compared to Awakening and from what I gather, the villager class is no longer a "trainee" class

honestly? I'm a few chapters far with her and the second I get a
child
from her I'm kicking her out. I was hoping she'd be like the bucket dude in Awakening who started out weak and later could tank by himself like an OP motherfucker, but with no chance to grind she's always a few levels behind the rest of my party, which would be fine if she were a hard hitter or had high defense, but no even in that regard she's weak as fuck. Her animations are hilarious though, she's a nervous wreck in battle hahaha.

I hear that if you change her class to
archer
she'll be useful so I might consider doing it but I probably won't considering who the character I'm pairing her up with and
his child
are.

Swamped

Banned
On Chapter 7 of Conquest, Hard Classic. I always get really close to beating it, but a unit always dies. Wish I had some vulneries...! This is what I get for choosing Conquest lol. Still, the chapter feels like it should be beatable. I'll get it soon enough.

Just got home with one Fates Streetpass. I don't know what I expected...

Gonna get started on Birthright... now lol

Reminds me of when I was walking around my fucking college campus with my 3DS and got a grand total of ONE street pass after passing by a million people. This was a few years ago.

Everybody plays at home now lol

ryseing

Trying not to use Pre-Promotes yet cause I know they are EXP holes at this point, but probably should use them for defense stance since they'll provide pretty beefy stat boost. Mostly trying to get by with attack stance though because defense takes out a character and I've yet to find the benefits of it outweigh the loss off an attacker, especially since so few of my units really seem to have any good dmg on mounted so as many attacks as possible to cut down their numbers has felt like the way to go. But I'm guessing this is a map that really requires you to use defense a lot and only selectively use attack. I've tried a variety of units outside of Ryoma, Scarlet and Reina, but by turn 5 or 6 once all the mounted are in play I just start having units drop like flies even with two healers.

I even have rather solid supports, most units have C rank with the majority of others, numerous have B and A ranks with several characters as well.

Give Kaden the Dracoshield you should have gotten in the previous chapters. It's pretty much meant for him.

Takumi does so much damage at base dayum, he's going to OHKO ninjas for me now.

I just promoted him to Sniper. Kicks all kinds of ass especially with the ignore terrain part of his bow. He's becoming my second favorite archer in the series behind based Shinon.

Man I am 100% garbage at this game. Well, maybe not that bad, but still pretty terrible. Its hard getting used to not pairing everyone up 100% of the time. Finally realized that the reason I was getting overwhelmed with enemies is because by pairing everyone up I was only getting have the moves I could have lol.

Btw, to the child paralogues change in difficulty at all over time? I'm slightly under leveled to do the ones I have right now.

Dad

Takumi does so much damage at base dayum, he's going to OHKO ninjas for me now.

Archers in general are pretty insane this time around. Takumi and Setsuna are completely ridiculous so far

Chapter 4/Birthright
Did anyone else find that first battle where you're the dragon to be a little difficult? I had constant hits where the enemies hit rate was 60 and under and they would still annihilate me :/ Also since Ryoma was an ally and uncontrollable, he fell on the very last turn ._.

Don't fret about ally characters biting it before Chapter 6.

Cheska

Chapter 4/Birthright
Did anyone else find that first battle where you're the dragon to be a little difficult? I had constant hits where the enemies hit rate was 60 and under and they would still annihilate me :/ Also since Ryoma was an ally and uncontrollable, he fell on the very last turn ._.

Setsuna wasn't complete garbage but she can't double anything at base and so was just kind of meh chip, Orochi and the ninjas have been much better options for 2-range (especially since they're 1-2 range).

But now Takumi shows up and is OHKOing ninjas what a champ.

This is also on Lunatic so maybe Setsuna is much more usable on lower difficulties.

Kinsei

Banned
Chapter 4/Birthright

I didn't have a ton of trouble, but it has been the hardest chapter so far.

L95

Chapter 4/Birthright

Same spoilers as above.
Ryoma is pretty much guaranteed to die, don't worry about him. He retreats.

Man I am 100% garbage at this game. Well, maybe not that bad, but still pretty terrible. Its hard getting used to not pairing everyone up 100% of the time. Finally realized that the reason I was getting overwhelmed with enemies is because by pairing everyone up I was only getting have the moves I could have lol.

Btw, to the child paralogues change in difficulty at all over time? I'm slightly under leveled to do the ones I have right now.

they seem to have a set difficulty from what I've seen. Because I did the one for mine early on in the game (got S rank fairly quick in conquest for 3-4 couples already), and mine was an absolute nightmare. I was actually googling to see if it was infinite mobs because it seemed like it.

GSR

they seem to have a set difficulty from what I've seen. Because I did the one for mine early on in the game (got S rank fairly quick in conquest for 3-4 couples already), and mine was an absolute nightmare. I was actually googling to see if it was infinite mobs because it seemed like it.

The child paralogues do scale in level as you progress through the campaign (and so do the kids). But they also vary in difficulty amongst themselves; like the rest of Conquest, the kid paralogues for Conquest characters tend to be more difficult than the ones for shared characters. (And I assume Birthright ones as well.)

You'd be surprised how a little more training can make a difference though. I couldn't crack Odin's kid's paralogue for ages, let it go for a while, then came back late in the game and steamrolled it even though the enemies had continued leveling.

Shun

Are there any Conquest/Birthright characters that aren't in Revelation?

A couple. (꒦ິ⌑꒦ີ)

I cannot beat Conquest Chapter 10 to save my life, theres just way too many enemies and its already hard enough having to deal with not letting my units die but having to deal with archers and ninjas is just utter bullshit. I'm seriously close to just turning the difficulty down to normal to see if that even changes anything.

Gave a tip earlier. There's no need to spend money on potions if you play smart. You might need to promote a unit early but it is doable without it. Having a Great Knight will help this chapter a lot.

What difficulty are you on? Keep at it because this map needs you to take advantage of your turrets and playing defensively. Don't over commit.

My strategy was to keep Niles, Effie, and Harold to the right.
Odin, Nyx, Azura to the left.
Felicia/Jakob, Silas, and Corrin in the middle.

Then you have the enemies concentrate in the middle while fending off the right.

I cannot beat Conquest Chapter 10 to save my life, theres just way too many enemies and its already hard enough having to deal with not letting my units die but having to deal with archers and ninjas is just utter bullshit. I'm seriously close to just turning the difficulty down to normal to see if that even changes anything.

Dad

Birthright Ch. 10 on Hard is kicking my ass. Any tips?

Keep your units clumped in the starting area until you've drawn out all the aggressive enemies. The traps are trash and not at all worth overreaching to try and set off. Keeping units adjacent to kill the ninjas in one round before they can debuff you was a lot more useful than pairing up for stat boosts

Hugstable

Banned
Chapter 10 on Birthright Hard Classic is seriously killing me. Been stuck on it all day and have attempted it a good 10 times now. It sucks when I get decently far each time to get unlucky with a ninja or get stuck in those lame traps.

appaws

Banned
Really liking Birthright so far. Great maps, so much more interesting than Awakening's maps.

Got my ass handed to me as soon as I tried the second Paralogue for my first kid. I guess I was not meant to grind up a kid so early.

Dimmle

Chapter 10 on Birthright Hard Classic is seriously killing me. Been stuck on it all day and have attempted it a good 10 times now. It sucks when I get decently far each time to get unlucky with a ninja or get stuck in those lame traps.

Glad I'm not the only one. I feel like I've played the chapter with just about every strategy conceivable. Turtling at the top of the map and guarding the narrow chokepoints with tanks seems to be the best approach but I keep making one dumb move after a string of successes that creates a fatal opening for another goddamn ninja.

To go back to my comments on Chapter 10: Odin+Nyx abusing the Magic Turret twice (if you position Azura next to them) just makes everything wonderful since you can bring any units coming in from the left to almost 1 HP and by the time they get close, you can obliterate them with any unit close enough.

It would have been easier if I had another archer, but I haven't used Mozu at all and the thought of turning her into an archer didn't cross my mind until after the fact. Thankfully between
Camilla/Selena and Niles
, no Pegasus Knights went without punishment. Honestly, the first time I lost it was because Arthur died to a crit and I wasn't having that. Second time I was sort of stupid because I thought the enemy had to occupy all 4 squares, not just one.

spiritfox

It seems like save scumming won't work. I remember I resetted a few times because of bad tactics and all of my units lved up the way I saw them did before reloading.

I noticed that too. I just try to stop them from leveling if possible, though it's a pain in the ass.

Socreges

Banned
So Gamespot

Revelations 9/10
Birthright 8/10
Conquest 7/10

Bizarre. That seems like the inverse of everything I've heard.

Oh, Conquest was reviewed by someone else... interesting. And nice to hear good things about Revelations. For some reason I'd considered it an afterthought.

vareon

I beat it at the first try but took an hour or so lol. Basically guarding the starting position and rotating defenders until the reinforcements are done, then move *very* slowly towards the end, engaging only one or two enemies at a time if possible. The traps can be ignored since I have three healers and Sakura can negate them somewhat. You can also pair up units to minimize damaged unit from the trap.

ChrisD

Chapter Seven Birthright, so I'm early on, but this story's writing still sucks. So. Much.
And the voice work for a number of characters leaves much to be desired as well.

The character interactions in Support? They're fine so far. And the banter between Jakob and Fredrick in the Awakening DLC made me chuckle, two caretakers having a petty argument on a battlefield. But the story is horrible.

I also hate Ryoma. He's just dumb.

Speaking of the Awakening DLC up there, WHAT IS WITH THE TELEPORTING NINJAS. They chain-swapped places with Chrom to move him half across the field, and ended up killing him in the one turn. Then they followed up with Corrin.
Guess I'll be holding that one off until I level a bit more.

I think I'm too jaded with this game. I am having fun, and balance is definitely better. The Pair mechanic is a lot more engaging now. But I can't help but notice and get caught up paying attention to all these negative things. My list is so much longer. ;-;

Xenoflare

Silas Paladin or Great Knight.

I hate the fact that he loses his black armor if he goes to GK

Even though I know the answer is GK but I really want to class him as Paladin.

Top Bottom