• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Seiru

Banned
They don't. Once you get past chapter six you can lower the difficulty (to normal but can't change it to casual).

Alright thanks. I really like strategy games, FFT is a huge favorite of mine. I don't know why this one on Hard/Classic just isn't clicking.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Don't judge me, but I'm doing Normal Casual Birthright---fuck I just can't handle worrying about deaths in these games. Having a blast freely grinding supports and such, kind of nervous about Conquest though---me and "classic" Fire Emblem don't get along.

One thing I noticed compared to Awakening is that the characters are a bit more subtle in this one and aren't as "archetypal" as the dudes running around in Awakening---not sure how I feel about this since I think the flatter characters worked a bit better for this genre since it was easier to connect to them quickly since they could literally die the next battle.

Can someone explain how Classes work in this one exactly? I heard you should wait till Level 20 to use the basic Class Upgrade Seal for the best result, but what about the other seals you can use---should I bother with those if I'm not a min-maxer? Or will it be best just to go with the default upgrade? And now that Healers can't gain EXP through Pair Up, and grinding EXP through healing is rather tedious, do you think it might be best to re-class them earlier so they can attack and get EXP through other methods?

Oh yeah, and in Birthright, which characters is considered the "Frederick"---i.e. the super powered dude who tricks you into draining EXP? I imagine in Conquest it's that old dude who gets knocked off the bridge in the beginning, but I can't figure out which character in Hoshido's side fits that role.

mAcOdIn

Can you do anything else with food besides feed Lilith?
Yes.

You unlock a building later you can build that allows you to make dishes that up a character's stats in battle. A one time use for a single battle thing from what I understand.

And you can unlock another building where you can buy accessories(clothing) for characters and for some reason some of them are purchasable with food.

I feel bad when I max out a relationship, get a
child
and then replace one of the
parents
with them lol. But I always find that
one of the two parents I can do without and the child is more useful in battle

Shun

Am I just lucky or is Odin is actually not that bad in Conquest.

His Mag is the same as Leo's base at level 15.

But can he take a hit? But is he fast enough not to get doubled?

It's not that his magic sucks, it's that he's slow and he can't survive anything.

Okay so I made Forrest a Dark Mage, do I promote him to Dark Knight right away or level him up while he's a Dark Mage?

Always level up to 20 then promote. Stats will be better at the end.

My Azura is just absurd. 15 strength and 19 speed at level 14. Shame about that defense though

She's soft as toilet paper. Makes choosing her spouse hella hard because there's always a better option but she gives a damn good kid.

vareon

Don't judge me, but I'm doing Normal Casual Birthright---fuck I just can't handle worrying about deaths in these games. Having a blast freely grinding supports and such, kind of nervous about Conquest though---me and "classic" Fire Emblem don't get along.

I plan to go Normal/Classic with DLC grinding for Conquest. I'm afraid by the time I finished Birthright I'm a bit burned out to have the patience of a Hard/Classic.

About to hit level 20 with my main. I think he's the only one I'll put the effort to switch to another class. I think I'll have to switch classes.

Though if I want to keep using Felicia I might switch classes for her. Maybe give her the DLC class. If it's strength based and hers is low it won't matter much I think, i just largely need her for support skills for my male avatar and she kind of blows as a partner in her maid class outside of the skills for my avatar specifically (as a wife).

stopping for the day though, played a buttload today.

Xenoflare

Any Str boosting items are obtainable in Conquest? I'm about to start with Chapter 17 and can already feeling it overwhelming me.

Aeana

Any recommended people to change to dark falcon in Birthright? I haven't seen a lot of people talking about the benefits of the path bonus classes.

Alright thanks. I really like strategy games, FFT is a huge favorite of mine. I don't know why this one on Hard/Classic just isn't clicking.

After chapter 6 however, the game remembers that you beat the first 6 chapters and allows you to create a new save with a new corrin and skip all the way to chapter 6 so you can adjust the difficulty.

Shun

Any recommended people to change to dark falcon in Birthright? I haven't seen a lot of people talking about the benefits of the path bonus classes.

Basically the best mages you can get in the game, so Leon and his child. Or Corrin depending on your stats. Growth rates are bad so recommended to do it near the end.

Odin's child is also arguably an even better mage contrary to Odin's terrible use but there's actually a DLC class that might be better suited for the child than Dark Pegasus.

For the Demon Fighter, the other 2 bonus scrolls, it's a good class but the growth rates are bad so it is best saved for your final class.

Edit: I'm dumb and misread. In Birthright, the best mage you can get.

Man, really hitting a wall with Birthright Ch. 14 on Hard. It took a couple retries to figure out Ch. 10, but it wasn't that hard or anything of the sort. Just had to think smart and act slow. Most of the game has been decently challenging on Hard but nothing too difficult, especially compared to past games.

Now though I have no clue what to do here. Totally wide open map, shit tons of enemies and crappy starting position. Everyone sucks complete ass against mounted units and before I can even setup any kind of halfway decent defensive formation I've already got 7 weighing down on me, plus 3 Archers and 3 Knights. And within a turn there's another 6 mounted coming at me and another 7 the turn or two after that.

Kaden is the only non Pre-promote that can normally take out mounted units in one attack, but he's got dogshit defense and doesn't dodge nearly enough despite his crazy high speed and Avo. Everyone else can barely withstand a single attack against a paired Cavalier, and almost no one against a Paladin.

Are you using Ryoma at all? You have to be careful since he sucks up xp, but he's super strong. Are you pairing units up for defense stance, or trying to use attack stance? Also, remember stats change based on who you pair, so you might want to pair a speedy unit to Kaden. What units are you using?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Are you using Ryoma at all? You have to be careful since he sucks up xp, but he's super strong. Are you pairing units up for defense stance, or trying to use attack stance? Also, remember stats change based on who you pair, so you might want to pair a speedy unit to Kaden. What units are you using?

Trying not to use Pre-Promotes yet cause I know they are EXP holes at this point, but probably should use them for defense stance since they'll provide pretty beefy stat boost. Mostly trying to get by with attack stance though because defense takes out a character and I've yet to find the benefits of it outweigh the loss off an attacker, especially since so few of my units really seem to have any good dmg on mounted so as many attacks as possible to cut down their numbers has felt like the way to go. But I'm guessing this is a map that really requires you to use defense a lot and only selectively use attack. I've tried a variety of units outside of Ryoma, Scarlet and Reina, but by turn 5 or 6 once all the mounted are in play I just start having units drop like flies even with two healers.

I even have rather solid supports, most units have C rank with the majority of others, numerous have B and A ranks with several characters as well.

Busaiku

Bah, I screwed up huge leading up to chapter 15...

I played Before Awakening for a little bit (got wiped out), and saw that Azura never gained any EXP when using the Bronze Naginata. This was the main thing I remembered before getting beaten.
I assumed this meant that she would never gain EXP from beating enemies with Spears, so I never had her fight...
Now she's at E Spears, with no Str or Def, and Corrin has no Set either, and I'm getting destroyed...

That's one of the last two classes DLC coming out.

Its one of the last ones planned for release.

Class learns such an OP skill lol...

cool thanks guys.

Different question, has someone released a list of which characters will be recruitable in the third (DLC) path? Wouldn't mind knowing beforehand to have an idea how I'd pair off characters for that one since I'd be playing a harder difficulty

kagamin

Remember guys, only Classic mode will do, Segata Sanshiro told me so. ;P

MhnDmzG.png

Viewing prepromotes as "exp holes" is going to just make the game harder for you. Ryouma is a fantastic unit and should be getting a ton of use as soon as you get him.

Trying not to use Pre-Promotes yet cause I know they are EXP holes at this point, but probably should use them for defense stance since they'll provide pretty beefy stat boost. Mostly trying to get by with attack stance though because defense takes out a character and I've yet to find the benefits of it outweigh the loss off an attacker, especially since so few of my units really seem to have any good dmg on mounted so as many attacks as possible to cut down their numbers has felt like the way to go. But I'm guessing this is a map that really requires you to use defense a lot and only selectively use attack. I've tried a variety of units outside of Ryoma, Scarlet and Reina, but by turn 5 or 6 once all the mounted are in play I just start having units drop like flies even with two healers.

I even have rather solid supports, most units have C rank with the majority of others, numerous have B and A ranks with several characters as well.
Yeah, you might want to pair up a bit more. Also, worth noting that that chapter has two phases pretty much: Outside and inside. The enemies inside won't move out, and the armored units at the gate won't move either, so you have time to undo defense formation before attacking the armored units if you want. Additionally, there are 3 dragon vein spots in the castle that will damage all inside units by a fairly significant amount (especially if you get all 3). They're all close to the castle's entrance (one is at the entrance even) so keep that in mind

Rainy

Banned
Can I ask something about the children?

So from what I read if you play female Corrin you pretty much can't miss out on any kids but if you play male corrin you have to S support
with flora, scarlet, or reina or a male will go unpaired and you'll miss out on one kid?

Sifl

So, are there people you shouldn't pair because it will make their kid shit? I seem to remember that being the case in Awakening. Also should you pair people with similar classes, or different ones so the kid has more options available?

Shun

Requoting since I gave you a conquest answer. With Birthright there aren't really amazing magic users when you compare with Conquest. The stats growths aren't good either so these classes are really only for end game/end class or only to get a very specific skill, like with Demon Fighter.

So many of the characters in Birthright excel most in the classes they already have. If you want to be optimal about it then below would have some choices. But if you really want to and you have a character that has a decent strength/speed or magic, then Demon Fighter and Dark Pegasus would work fine for you. They just aren't the best options out of the huge pool of classes and skills they can get.

The bonus classes are best either as an end class or to get a certain skill and move on.

A magic Corrin would be great as a Dark Pegasus.

Azura is much too paper thin to be good at anything other than support

Orochi is slow and can get doubled, something you don't want as a Dark Pegasus

Hayato is alright I guess, but his kid is better.

Sakura is better off supporting.

Jakob would make a decent one, but he is a pretty good Great Knight as is.

Oboro and Hinoka would rather just stay in their own classes.

Stuff is hard to consider...

Shun

Serenes has you covered, though the answer is
"almost everybody."

Spoilers

Crimson deserved better (꒦ິ⌑꒦ີ)

Can I ask something about the children?

So from what I read if you play female Corrin you pretty much can't miss out on any kids but if you play male corrin you have to S support
with flora, scarlet, or reina or a male will go unpaired and you'll miss out on one kid?

Not necessarily true. An exception would be someone like Azura because Azura is one of those characters that give a great child but her stats do can negatively impact the other child options. So one solution would just go after Azura. At the same time, you could end up marrying one of the child units instead and have a pretty good Kana.

It's just marrying a certain female can cause issues. There is still quite a few options to go around for Conquest children. And if you're playing conquest, face it you are not getting all the children without grinding support or being super optimal about it. It's just too difficult with the number of people to S rank and choosing whether or not it is worth it because you can funnel the support/EXP to someone else.

Cryxok

Man, the game is harder than expected! Conquest in Hard/Classic is making me look like a rookie.
I've been trying for quite a while to beat a level... btw, is it worth it to train the villager girl? Aptitude seems nerfed compared to Awakening and from what I gather, the villager class is no longer a "trainee" class

Top Bottom