• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Xenoflare

Fair enough. I'm just surprised it's so bad that it makes you like it less despite the better gameplay.

This is one of the few instances where spoiling for me made the game better because I can appreciate the game play while already accepted the borderline offensively dumb story before I got the game

Dad

Who is everyone using with Birthright using to tank hits besides dragonstone Corrin? My Silas is turning out really mediocre, and Hinoka's ok but is still a little squishy and obviously can't tank archers. Need someone made of a little sterner stuff

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Now that the game has been out for a couple of days... who did everyone pick as their waifu?

Camilla for life!

Kinsei

Banned
Who is everyone using with Birthright using to tank hits besides dragonstone Corrin? My Silas is turning out really mediocre, and Hinoka's ok but is still a little squishy and obviously can't tank archers. Need someone made of a little sterner stuff

Silas, Jakob, and Subaki for physical attacks, and Hinoka for magic attacks.

Now that the game has been out for a couple of days... who did everyone pick as their waifu?

Camilla for life!

Not everyone here is a guy/playing with guy Corrin.

I think I'll marry Silas or Saizo in Birthright, someone in Conquest, and Jakob in Revelation.

Finally beat chapter 10 Conquest hard while visiting all the villages. No really strategy I can think of other than use the center ballista and fire orb as often as you can until
Takumi uses the dragon vein
. After that it's just up to smart positioning to keep all of your characters alive. I did use a defense boost item on Arthur to help him hold a choke point.

Kaze dodge tanks pretty well later on, but I try not to risk him with axe users. Birthright characters are pretty squishy in general, though. Subaki is OK and you can always cheat with Ryoma. Takumi takes hits alright too.

Magic tanking is super easy this game though, since you got Orochi, the 3 ninjas, and your pegasus knights.

I can't wait to see everyone finish Conquest/15. It's the most blatant "we didn't know how to make the story do what we wanted, so here's a plot device" I've seen in ages.

Yeah, that was. Ugh.
And you couple that with GOSH WHO WAS THAT DANCER?? in the chapter immediately preceding, which left a bad taste in my mouth after a pretty cool-looking CG cutscene...
it's just such thoughtless writing, and it makes me feel like... if you can't give a damn about your own story, why should I?

My disappointment with this story is only mounting. When you guys criticized it in the import thread I was expecting something loony or absurd, but instead almost every moment is just incredibly lazy and workmanlike, which is way worse. In cutscenes the characters talk in this stilted, every-line-must-move-the-plot way. In general the dialogue is somehow lacking in the flavor that Awakening had. I don't know if I'm just seeing Awakening through rose-tinted glasses now, but I actually thought that game did a nice job in getting me to care about the characters and what was happening to them. Meanwhile, in Conquest, it feels like the writer has no love for his characters, and this is a story setup that actually needs that passion more than Awakening did. Really sad that such a cool concept for a Fire Emblem story gets squandered on this half-assed script.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I can't wait to see everyone finish Conquest/15. It's the most blatant "we didn't know how to make the story do what we wanted, so here's a plot device" I've seen in ages.

While it's not my favorite, it's not the worst story in a game. There was a time when the only plot an RPG needed was "this guy is bad and wants to destroy the world." The one thing I had some trouble with (and I've accepted it and moved on) was how easy it was for
Corrin to become MGS3's The Boss and play the part of the bad guy to save the world.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, that was. Ugh.
And you couple that with GOSH WHO WAS THAT DANCER?? in the chapter immediately preceding, which left a bad taste in my mouth after a pretty cool-looking CG cutscene...
it's just such thoughtless writing, and it makes me feel like... if you can't give a damn about your own story, why should I?

My disappointment with this story is only mounting. When you guys criticized it in the import thread I was expecting something loony or absurd, but instead almost every moment is just incredibly lazy and workmanlike, which is way worse. In cutscenes the characters talk in this stilted, every-line-must-move-the-plot way. In general the dialogue is somehow lacking in the flavor that Awakening had. I don't know if I'm just seeing Awakening through rose-tinted glasses now, but I actually thought that game did a nice job in getting me to care about the characters and what was happening to them. Meanwhile, in Conquest, it feels like the writer has no love for his characters, and this is a story setup that actually needs that passion more than Awakening did. Really sad that such a cool concept for a Fire Emblem story gets squandered on this half-assed script.

It's really so bad that it makes Awakening's story look good in retrospect? Yikes.

Should I promote Ninjas to Master Ninja or Mechanist?

I read the second skill that Mechanist's get and it seems pretty strong (
creates a double once per map that has the same stats and inventory/no support bonus though
).

Xenoflare

creates a double once per map that has the same stats and inventory/no support bonus though
).

I was going to go for Mechanist because that can salvage Kaze's abysmal Str growth on me but I'm not so sure about the speed.

Shun

).

It takes forever to get it, you're better off with Ninja and reclassing for the puppet skill at lv.15

What difficulties on Conquest/Revelations would give me a challenge that's comparable to Minimal Grinding Birthright Hard?
On Conquest right now and this stuff is meat grinder that will seriously challange you.

I heard Birthright Hard is comparable to Conquest Normal but only on Reddit so...

Almost completed the Conquest route!

TWILT

Banned
Okay whoa, Felicia is like waaaay better now that I have the Flame Shuriken for her so it scales off her magic stat lol.

I was going to go for Mechanist because that can salvage Kaze's abysmal Str growth on me but I'm not so sure about the speed.

It takes forever to get it, you're better off with Ninja and reclassing for the puppet skill at lv.15

Guess I'll go with Master Ninja for now then do the reclassing thing.

So I guess this game isn't like Awakening where you can keep resetting your level until you max out every stat?

GSR

So I guess this game isn't like Awakening where you can keep resetting your level until you max out every stat?

Correct. Changing class just changes class, your level remains where it is. You gain skills you've "missed" for that class line at a rate of 1 per level after that.

There is an item that raises your level cap, but it's very expensive.

A tip though: if you're using Felicia or Jakob, once they get past level 15 try switching classes for them around. They're strange units that technically start in a promoted class with unpromoted stats, so they go up to 40. That means both a. they hit the level (15 promoted) where you get really good skills early and b. they have plenty of room to swap classes and pick up skills without worrying about the level cap.

Yeah, that was. Ugh.

Fucking hell, yes! The writers seriously must have wanked themselves too hard on Birthright (haven't started it yet) because the story for Conquest is so terrible. Stop telling me choosing Conquest was a bad choice ya bloody asshats!

GSR

Finished Conquest Ch.15

Story wise, still not as bad as FE7 and late FE10.

I dunno,
"there's a kingdom that's definitely involved in all this but you can't speak about it or you instantly die also the king's a monster but I can only show this to you now we have to go conquer Hoshido so he can sit on a magic throne that will show he's a monster"
is pretty bad.

Also re chapter 14: I feel like so many plot developments in Conquest could end with [Azura looks directly into the camera like she's on The Office]

Xenoflare

I ended up reclassing him as Mechanist anyways because in the end Str is important to me, I was in the same situation with you haha.

Conquest won't give exp on My castle battles either right?

GSR

I ended up reclassing him as Mechanist anyways because in the end Str is important to me, I was in the same situation with you haha.

It won't give EXP for online battles, but it will for the three set versus-AI My Castle battles that pop up over the campaign.

Correct. Changing class just changes class, your level remains where it is. You gain skills you've "missed" for that class line at a rate of 1 per level after that.

There is an item that raises your level cap, but it's very expensive.

A tip though: if you're using Felicia or Jakob, once they get past level 15 try switching classes for them around. They're strange units that technically start in a promoted class with unpromoted stats, so they go up to 40. That means both a. they hit the level (15 promoted) where you get really good skills early and b. they have plenty of room to swap classes and pick up skills without worrying about the level cap.

Alright then, I'll look into getting some seals from the shop for Jakob. Those shop seals replenish over time right?

That does sound appealing actually. Because my Kaze has a crap ton of speed but low strength. If going Mechanist will help fix that then I can just reclass him to Master Ninja at 15 for the 2 Master Ninja skills.

Shun

Seals replenish when your store is upgraded. You are limited in the beginning.

Lv. 3 store is when you have unlimited but at that point you want to spend your gold on other things and if you can't afford a ton of seals.

Azuran

Banned
Birthright Chapter 11 pretty much proves how amazing archers are this time around. My main strategy in that chapter was to surrounded Takumi and Setsuna with people so everyone could feed off their godly powers.

Forkball

So what are these "Invasion" maps? It takes place at my castle, but the enemy can break my buildings. I don't seem to get anything special for them, but I did notice Lilith fights.

I did a Castle raid so I have two Corrins currently. Beastly.

How early is too early for promotion? Kaze currently has 23 HP, 11 Strength, 17 Skill, 23 Speed, 5 Luck, 9 Defense, and 18 Resistance at level 14 and I was thinking that it was about time to promote him but I don't really know how valuable getting the most out of growths is in this game so should I stick around a bit longer as a ninja or is waiting until he hits 20 valuable, or should I just get the boost now and let him wreck even harder?

GSR

How early is too early for promotion? Kaze currently has 23 HP, 11 Strength, 17 Skill, 23 Speed, 5 Luck, 9 Defense, and 18 Resistance at level 14 and I was thinking that it was about time to promote him but I don't really know how valuable getting the most out of growths is in this game so should I stick around a bit longer as a ninja or is waiting until he hits 20 valuable, or should I just get the boost now and let him wreck even harder?

As a rule of thumb: unless you absolutely need a promoted unit now for some reason, wait until level 20 to promote. Those are six levels you'll never get back otherwise (save for using a very expensive item to raise your level cap.)

I'm getting a lot of supports because I always play using defense stance (I'm too chicken to use adjacent outside boss attacks). And Niles' supports are hilarious.

"Did you want my clothes off so badly that you'd spill hot soup on them?"

scarlet

I reclassed Hinoka to Basara for Rend Heaven, but instead of it, I keep getting Seal Defense WTF.

I tried to reclass to Spear Master and still getting Seal Defense.

As a rule of thumb: unless you absolutely need a promoted unit now for some reason, wait until level 20 to promote. Those are six levels you'll never get back otherwise (save for using a very expensive item to raise your level cap.)
Just to make sure, do you feel that way about every Fire Emblem? In older games there's plenty of times where it's better to promote early for the boost rather than stick around until you hit 20, but I didn't know how important getting every possible level up for endgame is here.

Azuran

Banned
Just to make sure, do you feel that way about every Fire Emblem? In older games there's plenty of times where it's better to promote early for the boost rather than stick around until you hit 20, but I didn't know how important getting every possible level up for endgame is here.

Older Fire Emblem except from Awakening don't really have an endgame after you beat the story so it's not really as important.

Forkball

Ok, I got the boss of this map down to 1 HP. He can do 33 damage in one hit, but Mozu has an 85% chance, so when she hits it, she will definitely get a huge experience point boost a-MISS

Kaisos

I've heard Conquest's story is pretty bad, but I've also heard people claim that it's "the worst story ever written in a video game" which strikes me as a problem of lacking perspective more than the story -actually- being that terrible.

spiritfox

I reclassed Hinoka to Basara for Rend Heaven, but instead of it, I keep getting Seal Defense WTF.

I tried to reclass to Spear Master and still getting Seal Defense.

You get a new skill every level up starting from the base class, then the promoted class skills.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I know, my Hinoka is level 4 Basara. but instead of getting Rend Heaven, I'm getting Seal Defense which is not Basara's skill.

You get skills that you don't already have from the base version of the class as well as the promoted version. Seal Defense is a Spear Fighter skill. Basara promotes from Spear Fighter.

Keep leveling her up, you will eventually get Rend Heaven.

Awakening spoiled me rotten with its infinite supply of staves, particularly the Rescue staff with its outrageous range once you levelled up your staff users. I was being cautious about staff usage in Conquest since the durability was so low, and pretty much the only spending I've been doing in the shop has been to replenish my heals, but then in Chapter 11
the only strategy I could think of to clear out the Room of the Lunging Ninjas on the left-hand side was to have my two staff users lock down the Ninjas with Freeze so I could pick them off without them chain-killing any of my units on the next turn
. I could always buy more, I thought.

It was not wholly pleasant to return to my castle afterwards and find that I had already emptied my shop of Freeze staves.

(Conquest Ch. 10)
Odin and Selena's
support conversations are as endearing as I had hoped. It turns out I may be a sucker for fan service after all.

Top Bottom