• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Cryxok

So I'm hearing that mozu is pretty good as an archer. Does anyone know when I should switch? Do I wait until I hit 20 villager first?

I switched her over rather early because I needed an extra archer for a certain chapter. I think it all comes to the skills, since the level does not reset. Villager's skills are more powergul but situational compared to the Archer's.

Kaiterra

Banned
Today I learned: If you use the Freeze staff on a paired unit, then kill off the leader of that pair, the remaining unit is no longer frozen. Whoops.

Forkball

In Birthright Chapter 9, the boss could have possibly killed Corrin (who I used to attack him the previous turn) with a crit, but instead he completely ignores Corrin and OHKOs Mozu from range. That was just unnecessary.

pahamrick

In Birthright Chapter 9, the boss could have possibly killed Corrin (who I used to attack him the previous turn) with a crit, but instead he completely ignores Corrin and OHKOs Mozu from range. That was just unnecessary.

Obviously the boss knew who the bigger threat would be in the end. Smart thinking.

Kaiterra

Banned
Lots of characters are just "retreating" during their death dialogue but gameplay-wise, they are unusable.

I don't care for that. I'd like if I'm gonna lose a character for them to actually die and have it acknowledged. The stakes are high here! So far I've only lost Mozu though (was unable to save her)

Man, I'm terrible at this. I can't figure out how to beat Chapter 3. I'm on classic/hard, and whenever I go to attack the archer and samurai in the bottom right, they always manage to get my maid, and if they don't, then the three pegasus take out someone in the next turn.

Prax

I don't care for that. I'd like if I'm gonna lose a character for them to actually die and have it acknowledged. The stakes are high here! So far I've only lost Mozu though (was unable to save her)

Mostly it's because they serve plot/story purposes for later in the game so they can't DIE die..

Man.. I keep just letting myself be spoiled with this thread. I am still waiting on my copy. :l -- But the story is garbage anyway, so what does it matter. :D

Man, I'm terrible at this. I can't figure out how to beat Chapter 3. I'm on classic/hard, and whenever I go to attack the archer and samurai in the bottom right, they always manage to get my maid, and if they don't, then the three pegasus take out someone in the next turn.
Is that when you're moving through the area with all the bridges? I think you should be able to clear the area before the reinforcements have the chance to do anything.

Forkball

I feel sorry for how some of the enemies bite it.

Enemy 1: How'd you die?
Enemy 2: A prince town between two kingdoms used ancient magic from dragon gods to fell me. How about you?
Enemy 1: A maid threw a knife at me.

Is that when you're moving through the area with all the bridges? I think you should be able to clear the area before the reinforcements have the chance to do anything.

That's weird. They always show up on the same turn that I attack the bottom forces, and the bottom forces are really strong, I only have a 50/50 shot of hitting them. I just replayed and got lucky and killed the ninja guarding the door and snuck in for the seize. There's more enemies on the map than ones I killed. Is this normal?

B_Bech

Same EXACT thing JUST happened to me. Playing on Lunatic so it was even more crushing. I have half a mind to just allow her to stay dead, but I put so much work into ganking last hits with her.

Kinsei

Banned
Kaze's shows up later in Birthright (after ch. 15.)

A hint that's also a potential spoiler:
Make sure he has A rank by then with Corrin. Yes, even if he's married to Rinkah.

Guess it's time to do some support grinding. He doesn't even have a C rank with my Corrin yet.

That's weird. They always show up on the same turn that I attack the bottom forces, and the bottom forces are really strong, I only have a 50/50 shot of hitting them. I just replayed and got lucky and killed the ninja guarding the door and snuck in for the seize. There's more enemies on the map than ones I killed. Is this normal?
I remember getting pretty lucky killing the guy guarding the fort actually. Jakob would have died, but he was paired up with the horse guy and was saved from a fatal blow. Maybe that would help? I remember cheering and pumping my fist when that happened.

28 in each part
Thanks
Yeah I realized I am also terrible since I got stuck on that part as well. Birthright Chapter 3
I pretty much killed one and retreated to the fort to heal. Then took out the reinforcements one at a time. I ignored the enemies at the first fort after failing to kill them a few times. Also playing on hard but causal cause I am a scrub :p

Kinsei

Banned

Yeah, that's normal. The others are there if you want more experience (invaluable if you're playing Conquest).

GamerSoul

Today I learned: If you use the Freeze staff on a paired unit, then kill off the leader of that pair, the remaining unit is no longer frozen. Whoops.

I am still getting use to the fact that enemy units can pair up/support each other. I've been blind sided a few times already ..

bodine1231

How is the 3d in this game? I'm thinking about picking it up but I need to buy a system as well and the older XL's are much cheaper than the new one.

Boney

Banned
Try turtling on the right side of the building where the boss is. I even went ahead and killed the northern troops with smart positioning. Unlike awakening you need to know when it's better to keep units paired up for the defensive bonus or separate for the attack bonus. The butler class is amazing as it can heal and support the attacking unit.

B_Bech

I am still getting use to the fact that enemy units can pair up/support each other. I've been blind sided a few times already ..

Yeah, I've gotten my ass handed to me due to enemy team ups on numerous occasions and I must say I love it. Always felt teams were waaaay too OP even on the hardest difficulty in Awakening, making me feel like I was bullying the enemy. Now I see an enemy pair or adjacent enemies and I'm forced to come up with a way to strategically tackle the situation. One wrong move and your unit is gone forever. It's brilliant fun.

Can someone explain a use case of pairing up? A unit becomes unusable and it takes a turn to seperate them. I can't find any reason to do this. The support bonuses don't seem worth losing access to a whole unit.

Dimmle

Can someone explain a use case of pairing up? A unit becomes unusable and it takes a turn to seperate them. I can't find any reason to do this. The support bonuses don't seem worth losing access to a whole unit.

When you pair up, you'll gain support bonuses based on the supporting unit and support level between those units. The supporting unit will also guard blows for you occasionally. As you take hits, a meter will fill and eventually grant a guaranteed block. Pairing up is also an important way to save fragile party members from harm since Awakening did away with the Rescue ability.

If you're going on the offensive, though, you're better off keeping your support units side by side so they can cooperate in combat.

PsionBolt

Well, here's an example. I just finished Conquest chapter 7 (Hard Classic), and I had to make extensive use of pairing up. The enemies are straight-up unreasonably strong and come at you like five at a time, so the best solution is to hang out at a chokepoint and let the Knight and Dragon-Corrin w/cavalier backup take all the hits while being healed by the butler and troubadour. However, the map is such that there are no chokepoints except ones with enemies on both sides, so you need to fit all 6 of your units into a space of only 2 or 4 tiles. With pair up, the 4-tile bridge becomes usable -- you put the knight plus fighter on one end and Corrin plus cavalier on the other, then have the healers in between to keep them alive.

tl;dr -- they take less space and the bonuses do help.

Also, you can use it like Rescue but better, and Rescue was already really useful.

Kinsei

Banned

You become immune to dual attacks, this is very useful in certain situations.

To add to what other replies have said, in Fates, pairing up is how you defend against dual attacks. In this game, if one enemy is in range of you and a second enemy is just one tile out of range, the second enemy will move into position to support the first as it attacks (just like what you can do as the player). Pairing up negates all damage from the second (supporting) enemy.

WEGGLES

Good lord, I feel like a complete idiot but I can't beat chapter 3 for the life of me. I get to the castle you need to seize but have like ~60% chance to hit the guy i need to kill and he responds with so much damage PLUS the pegasus knights that fly in... I either die before I can kill him, or kill him and die before I can seize.

It's such a small mission, though, I don't know where I'm going wrong. And if this games idea of difficulty is just shitty dice rolls all the time that's frustrating. I don't want to beat my head against a wall for every mission.

Draxal

Good lord, I feel like a complete idiot but I can't beat chapter 3 for the life of me. I get to the castle you need to seize but have like ~60% chance to hit the guy i need to kill and he responds with so much damage PLUS the pegasus knights that fly in... I either die before I can kill him, or kill him and die before I can seize.

It's such a small mission, though, I don't know where I'm going wrong. And if this games idea of difficulty is just shitty dice rolls all the time that's frustrating. I don't want to beat my head against a wall for every mission.

The pegasus knights trigger when you cross over the bridge, so make sure you have everybody ready before doing so.

any suggestions for a quality Avatar build for Birthright?

Strong/Clever for boon Unlucky for Bane. (Depending if you want to go str/mag classes). Some good secondary classes are cavalier/ninja.

Kinsei

Banned

If you die to the pegasus knights after killing him then you should really take them out before you fight the boss. Since you find he deals so much damage you might want to rely on counter hits to bring him low enough to finish off.

Dimmle

Mounted units are already the best in the game, no need to make them even stronger.

The extra flexibility fostered some interesting tactics, though. I'd also love to see Shove again. You could pull off some amazing saves with those mechanics.

Gestahl

The extra flexibility fostered some interesting tactics, though. I'd also love to see Shove again. You could pull off some amazing saves with those mechanics.

Shove's in the game but Rinkah's the only one who joins in the natural class that has it, so it may as well not exist

ciD_Vain

Is there anyway to know the exact stat bonuses a character will give by being Paired Up with another character without actually pressing Pair Up?

The pegasus knights trigger when you cross over the bridge, so make sure you have everybody ready before doing so.

Strong/Clever for boon Unlucky for Bane. (Depending if you want to go str/mag classes). Some good secondary classes are cavalier/ninja.
Is that true for both versions? I could have sworn the Pegasus knights triggered at least two turns after I crossed.

You should be using the lower bridge if you aren't trying to kill everyone btw

Rutger

Banned
The extra flexibility fostered some interesting tactics, though.

It hurt strategies more than anything else, we didn't need to plan out our positioning after attacking because mounted units could just run away. It dumbed down a lot of situations.

Plus, if it was brought back alongside the all the stat debuffs weapons deal and new skills that do 20% damage after battle, it would be really stupid. This game, and the series is much better off without the return of canto movement.

Top Bottom