• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Azuran

Banned
Up to Chapter 10 in Birthright on Hard/Casual and I just have to say I love this game, damn.

It gets even better. Chapter 12 and 13 were just as great. This may end up becoming my favorite Fire Emblem game at this rate. The game just continue to get better and better every chapter.

And the best part is that there's still two more games to play after this! This is gaming heaven.

Xenoflare

It gets even better. Chapter 12 and 13 were just as great. This may end up becoming my favorite Fire Emblem game at this rate.

And the best part is that there's still two more to play after this! This is gaming heaven.

Sadly we started at the superior game out of the three in terms of gameplay :p

It's the premise of the story, I didn't really care because I already know the plot of the three games inside and out back when it came out in Japan.

Basically the Avatar needs to be reminded that Garon is actually evil, and the only way to uncover him is to make him sit on the Hoshidan throne while not telling anyone about it. Then throughout the story the avatar keeps doing the shitty things Garon ask him/her to do while trying to be a fighter for peace saying "I DIDN'T WANTED TO DO THIS WAH", all those Hoshidan lives lost to prove something that we already know

Chapters 15-16 Conquest spoilers below
in this regard I guess it's more of an issue with the character in general. Missed opportunity with the whole 'change the evil country from the inside' aspect.

they could have made the Avatar from the get go plan to dethrone the king as he is beyond salvation. Having the avatar try to change papa's mind when it was clear it wasn't going to happen was silly. They should have made it where he didn't immediately kill him because the king was too powerful and needed to explain to his siblings the plan, or he can't weaken the state before winning the war on fear of being overrun by Hoshido forces. From the beginning have the avatar sneak behind the king's back and do shit to save people.

I mean honestly the thing that bothered me the most was
that the king is LITERALLY a monster so no option you have to kill him
. Should have given you that decision in a more morally grey area instead of a "oh I guess it's ok now"

Tingle

It's the premise of the story, I didn't really care because I already know the plot of the three games inside and out back when it came out in Japan.

Basically the Avatar needs to be reminded that Garon is actually evil, and the only way to uncover him is to make him sit on the Hoshidan throne while not telling anyone about it. Then throughout the story the avatar keeps doing the shitty things Garon ask him/her to do while trying to be a fighter for peace saying "I DIDN'T WANTED TO DO THIS WAH", all those Hoshidan lives lost to prove something that we already know

Its not that Corrin needs to be reminded Garon is evil. He thinks his siblings won't be willing to rebel against Garon unless
Garon sits on the throne to reveal his true form.

Its not that Corrin needs to be reminded Garon is evil. He thinks his siblings won't be willing to rebel against Garon unless

Which seems silly tbh. They already know that their father
would kill them in an instant if they disobeyed him
and already don't agree with him in everything basically. They could have
all gotten together to plan to dethrone the evil king and put the older brother in the throne

Xenoflare

Chapters 15-16 Conquest spoilers below
in this regard I guess it's more of an issue with the character in general. Missed opportunity with the whole 'change the evil country from the inside' aspect.

they could have made the Avatar from the get go plan to dethrone the king as he is beyond salvation. Having the avatar try to change papa's mind when it was clear it wasn't going to happen was silly. They should have made it where he didn't immediately kill him because the king was too powerful and needed to explain to his siblings the plan, or he can't weaken the state before winning the war on fear of being overrun by Hoshido forces. From the beginning have the avatar sneak behind the king's back and do shit to save people.

I mean honestly the thing that bothered me the most was
that the king is LITERALLY a monster so no option you have to kill him
. Should have given you that decision in a more morally grey area instead of a "oh I guess it's ok now"

Oh yeah, that's right, I should have phrased it better

Imagine the possibilities if Garon is
the kind of person from the supports from the Nohrian siblings

Kiro

Chapter 22 in birthright. Loving every second so far. I have stopped doing the my castle crap, seems kinda lame.

I wreak havoc though. Especially with Saizo (dread fighter) / hanoka (Pegasus flier)

Takumi is also beyond powerful.

Hazmat

Wait- ch 4 and 5 are the same for both routes right? I didn't lose anyone on 4, (Hard/Classic) so I don't think there's a scripted/auto loss there. 5, I'm wondering about. Seems like you'd need some serious rng luck for
the prince to make it through fighting the boss from the getgo.

I take it there's no real penalty for losing folks here either way?

The princesses can get knocked out in chapter 4 and there's no penalty. I looked it up because I did it twice. I started on normal but it was too easy so I restarted on hard, and I wanted to zip through the first 8 chapters.

Tingle

Which seems silly tbh. They already know that their father
would kill them in an instant if they disobeyed him
and already don't agree with him in everything basically. They could have
all gotten together to plan to dethrone the evil king and put the older brother in the throne

The kids say in a cut scene that they are content with how things are going, and they are just trying to make the little differences they can when they are dispatched. That's pretty much where the game starts off too, and Corrin is the only one who is willing to try to change it.

My main issue is that the whole Nohr side is:
-"Son, go on a mission and do something horrible."
-"Lets not do that horrible thing Garon said."
-"Okay, but seriously I'll be mad the next time you disobey. Here is another horrible mission."
-"Alright, lets not do that either."

That and they really overuse the fact that Corrin isn't killing people in missions. There is no way he can fight an entire war without killing people, and it just seems like they overdid that aspect.

Well the good thing is that I'm at least progressing through the entire level now but I gotta avoid having any teammates die on me. I had Belka die on me from a careless mistake and now i gotta start over again...

The kids say in a cut scene that they are content with how things are going, and they are just trying to make the little differences they can when they are dispatched. That's pretty much where the game starts off too, and Corrin is the only one who is willing to try to change it.

My main issue is that the whole Nohr side is:
-"Son, go on a mission and do something horrible."
-"Lets not do that horrible thing Garon said."
-"Okay, but seriously I'll be mad the next time you disobey. Here is another horrible mission."
-"Alright, lets not do that either."

That and they really overuse the fact that Corrin isn't killing people in missions. There is no way he can fight an entire war without killing people, and it just seems like they overdid that aspect.

In making the avatar the main character they turned them into such a boring I wanna save everybody hero, those are never interesting.

Give me the 'kill the few to save the many' hero instead

Tingle

In making the avatar the main character they turned them into such a boring I wanna save everybody hero, those are never interesting.

Give me the 'kill the few to save the many' hero instead

The funny thing is that Corrin even says in a cutscene that he joined Nohr to
try to help out people where he could.
But that doesn't really play out when he helps everybody.

The biggest problem is Garon himself, he's just so generically evil that a kindergartner could see it and yet everyone on the Nohr side is somehow oblivious to it. To the point of stupidity.

Had they gave him even the slightest shade of grey and made him seem at least kind to those close to him; a ton of the characters motivation would be more believable instead of mind numbingly stupid.

It would also be a way to get rid of that stupid throne plot in Conquest.

Shun

Didn't you know Garon was kind to his spoiler
illegitimate concubine
children in the past? Don't you know that he used to be a good dad until
a monster took over his mind
?

Calling him a bad villain with the depth of a morning children's anime isn't accurate at all! Garon is like Sakaki from Pokemon to Iago and Hans Rocket-dan. It's isn't his fault that his men are incompetent!

You can't blame Corrin for not knowing of the world! He wasn't allowed to leave until he was old enough and had his own Pokemon Maid!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hm....are the kid paralogues supposed to be used as 'catch up' spots in Conquest?

I feel like my main crew is falling behind a few levels over time, even though I'm trying to not over-use the pre-promoted royal siblings, and stick to a core crew, with a few exceptions of new recruits like Keaton.

For example, I'm on Chapter 17, and most of the enemies are 18-19, or promoted 1-2. My crew is ~16 on average, and I feel like maps are getting a bit tougher because of it.

PK Gaming

The map design is in Birthright is leaps and bounds better than Awakening, and Birthright's maps are "straightforward"

Man, Conquest is going to be crazy

Hm....are the kid paralogues supposed to be used as 'catch up' spots in Conquest?

I feel like my main crew is falling behind a few levels over time, even though I'm trying to not over-use the pre-promoted royal siblings, and stick to a core crew, with a few exceptions of new recruits like Keaton.

For example, I'm on Chapter 17, and most of the enemies are 18-19, or promoted 1-2. My crew is ~16 on average, and I feel like maps are getting a bit tougher because of it.

Basically yeah, the kid paralogues for me so far have been used solely for catching up/somewhat grinding. But I only have two more kids I'm bothering to get in this first play through. But not too much honestly. At one time I had like three kid paralogues at the same time, did them all and when I reached the next chapter enemies were still my same level and above once again.

Biggest issue so far is how late they introduced characters and sometimes they were underleveled as fuck. So when I finally got a new male the only other female I had was like never used so now he has to carry her so I can get a new child lol.

As to my party, it's entirely consisting of kids. I only used the overpowered siblings when I wanted a child out of them. Are the children necessarily stronger than the parents? Probably not unless you really optimized the parents so you had the perfect pairings. But I still would prefer using the kids as it gives me another round of pairing up characters and getting rid of four characters to have two I can pair up, freeing up two spots for new children.

At what lvl should I use the master seal?

The way I was told to do it here, which I didn't always do in Awakening but it's proving beneficial in here, it's to always wait till you hit max level and do it. If you plan to reclass you can then reclass at this moment and you'll go to the upgraded version of whatever class you wanted.

Few characters don't follow this rule though. Either they were already upgraded classes or it's beneficial to reclass them asap if they're completely useless.

I got the advice to not change into a ninja straight away until I promoted my main, now he's a master ninja and I gave him killing edge, he's doing crits all the time lol what a beast.

Luigi87

I was sitting at work (and stayed late because it was an easy night) and spent the entire 9 hours trying to beat this chapter lol

I did it! I just had to reset the game and have a more OP Corrin.

I think I'm passed the hard part of it now (no more advancing troops). Had a few resets. I was largely trying to avoid feeding kills to Corrin and Jakob so some others could get the EXP, but I realized that sometimes killing that one specific looming enemy is more important than gambling on RNG, lol

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So I'm looking over my roster, and I have Both of this Leo guy's retainers, but no Leo. Did I lose him in chapter 6? I have Elise. Do I even care? Guy looks generic anyway.

Into Chapter 10 now.
You talking shit about Leon? (。◕ฺˇε ˇ◕ฺ。)
Da bessssssss
YOU DIDNT ANSWER MY QUESTION >=[

Shun

So I'm looking over my roster, and I have Both of this Leo guy's retainers, but no Leo. Did I lose him in chapter 6? I have Elise. Do I even care? Guy looks generic anyway.

You talking shit about Leon? (。◕ฺˇε ˇ◕ฺ。)

Da bessssssss

SalvaPot

I don't know how known this is but Birthright is sold out for now on both Amazon and Best Buy for shipping. You can still find it easily in stores, but I just wanted to mention it as a cool piece of info. Its selling better than Conquest since those are still available in both.

I think people want to play the easier one first? Or is it the more friendly designs? Maybe its that its closer to Awakening.

I don't know how known this is but the Birthright is sold out for now on both Amazon and Best Buy for shipping. You can still find it easily in stores, but I just wanted to mention it as a cool piece of info. Its selling better than Conquest since those are still available is both.

I think people want to play the easier one first? Or is it the more friendly designs? Maybe its that its closer to Awakening.
Maybe it looks more appealing?
That how it's in Pokemon for me. Like everyone i knew went with Gold, Sapphire, Diamond etc.
was gonna say red too, but people would jump on me lol

Tingle

I don't know how known this is but Birthright is sold out for now on both Amazon and Best Buy for shipping. You can still find it easily in stores, but I just wanted to mention it as a cool piece of info. Its selling better than Conquest since those are still available in both.

We don't know how many were produced of both, but I would guess its just people going with the "main" one. I think most people go with the "main" Pokemon games in general, with the exception of one generation. I think its probably a similar phenomena here.

most people like playing the good guys thats also why i picked birthright first as im not a fan of playing the bad guy.

Miker

Birthright Chapter 11 (I think? The ship) was a huuuuuuge pain in the ass with how many reinforcements they throw at you. Some of the flyers just ignore the big tempest in the middle as well and fly aboce/below it. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I counted 17 reinforcements on that map. It wasn't fun at all, especially after the awfulness that was Birthright Ch. 10.

Birthright Chapter 11 (I think? The ship) was a huuuuuuge pain in the ass with how many reinforcements they throw at you. Some of the flyers just ignore the big tempest in the middle as well and fly aboce/below it. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I counted 17 reinforcements on that map. It wasn't fun at all, especially after the awfulness that was Birthright Ch. 10.
I thought this chapter was a ton of fun, you have to create the zones so pure turtling is discouraged but then safely fight by using the storms to your advantage. Plus Reina and Takumi need to be applied really strategically. I think its a great example of the thoughtfullness in Birthright's maps that was missing in most of Awakening.

I think the AI in this game have an IQ of a thousand.

Baiting doesn't work, they make sure to dual strike you, and sometimes they won't attack they just block you.
Other times they won't move, but lol they do next turn even if you didn't provoke them

//ARCANUM

Can anyone recommend a good guide or video to help make sense of all the mechanics in this game? Stuff like support, pairing up, basic strategies, etc. the game gives you very little info and I feel a little overwhelmed.

Tingle

I'm glad I read that spoiler. Are there any other story instances like that?

That is the only timed one in any version AFAIK.

Some other "missables" would be:
-Marrying male Corrin to any female who can marry anybody that isn't Corrin.
-Not marrying Azura to anybody on a female Corrin play through.
-Not upgrading certain buildings (you can grind out this one in the online portion though).
-Having either Corrin go with their gay option (this costs you two units in Conquest, just one in Birthright.)

Miker

I thought this chapter was a ton of fun, you have to create the zones so pure turtling is discouraged but then safely fight by using the storms to your advantage. Plus Reina and Takumi need to be applied really strategically. I think its a great example of the thoughtfullness in Birthright's maps that was missing in most of Awakening.

I kinda disagree. I found it most effective to turtle in the corner around the first tempest, because the second one made for an awful choke point (you're open on three sides), To me, it was just another Awakening map where there's little meaningful terrain; no practical choke points, and assloads of reinforcements dropped on you. That said, I'll mark off points for any chapter that has 15+ enemy reinforcements, regardless of quality.

Can anyone recommend a good guide or video to help make sense of all the mechanics in this game? Stuff like support, pairing up, basic strategies, etc. the game gives you very little info and I feel a little overwhelmed.

I don't have any guides, but I will say that Fates had an unusually awful tutorial after Awakening's excellent effort (if I remember right). There's a lot more to the pair up system and weapons and you're right, it's not explained well at all. Everything is in the paltry guide, which isn't all that great. An optional tutorial would've been welcome. Strange decision on Nintendo's part to forego handholding in a game that arguably needs it.

I'm actually in doing this map right now on lunatic. It doesn't seem too bad about 4 turns in so far. Just holding out in the starting area, and creating defensive walls on the north and south until the initial wave of reinforcements are over with.

I think the AI in this game have an IQ of a thousand.

Baiting doesn't work, they make sure to dual strike you, and sometimes they won't attack they just block you.
Other times they won't move, but lol they do next turn even if you didn't provoke them

Yep AI in this one is good. You can't just put a broken unit next to them and except them to just kill themselves. And most of the time, ninjas always attacks first so you get even more trouble

Yep AI in this one is good. You can't just put a broken unit next to them and except them to just kill themselves. And most of the time, ninjas always attacks first so you get even more trouble
The eacape chapters are worst, they just fly around you racing towards the defend zone. It's actually pretty amazing.

Top Bottom