• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I hate the AI because it works too effectively to the point where if I wasn't playing with no perma death I'd be pulling my hair out. Having a support unit on the map anywhere near the AI will mean they'll all instantly go attack it lol

//ARCANUM

I kinda disagree. I found it most effective to turtle in the corner around the first tempest, because the second one made for an awful choke point (you're open on three sides), To me, it was just another Awakening map where there's little meaningful terrain; no practical choke points, and assloads of reinforcements dropped on you. That said, I'll mark off points for any chapter that has 15+ enemy reinforcements, regardless of quality.

I don't have any guides, but I will say that Fates had an unusually awful tutorial after Awakening's excellent effort (if I remember right). There's a lot more to the pair up system and weapons and you're right, it's not explained well at all. Everything is in the paltry guide, which isn't all that great. An optional tutorial would've been welcome. Strange decision on Nintendo's part to forego handholding in a game that arguably needs it.

I'm slogging thru (characters are dying, but I'm playing casual), but I just know I'm not really playing efficiently. :/

I can't freaking decide on who to pair with whome.

I have to decide soon.

I wish I could read a letter grade on the quality of each support convo between units, without spoilering myself

Tingle

I have to decide soon.

I wish I could read a letter grade on the quality of each support convo between units, without spoilering myself

I always decided just based on what I found from their C and B supports. By then you can generally figure out where its going.

Shun

If you have trouble and don't care, here is my list of who I did in each route. Note that in Conquest it is pretty hard getting all of them if at all unless you optimize supports or support grind.

These are mostly optimal with certain choices because I wanted a certain hair color or skill. Best to choose and partner those who have complimentary stats and classes.

Sorry for JP names.

白夜
Kamui/
Matoi
Tsubaki/Hinoka
Ryouma/Kagerou
Hinata/Mozume
Suzukaze/Rinka
Cyrus/Kazahana
Nishiki/Oboro
Tsukuyomi/Sakura
Asama/Felicia
Saizou/Orochi
Joker/Aqua
Takumi/Setsuna

闇夜
Kamui/
Ophelia
Odin/Felicia
Suzukaze/Belka
Zero/Camilla
Flannel/Luna
Leon/Nyx
Marx/Charlotte
Laswald/Pieri
Harold/Elfie
Joker/Elise
Cyrus/Aqua
Benoit/Mozume

透魔
Mix and match both lists for the best possible second generation.

Azuran

Banned
I'm slogging thru (characters are dying, but I'm playing casual), but I just know I'm not really playing efficiently. :/

If this your first FE game? If yes, what are you having problems with in particular? I think Fates is one of the deepest games in the series from what I played so far so there's a lot of stuff to digest especially if you're a beginner. I'm a series veteran and even I had to get accustomed to some of the newer mechanics so I imagine it must be tough to someone that has to learn everything from scratch.

Question about Conquest 13 for others who have completed it.
Is Scarlet supposed to be recruitable in Conquest? She was the boss of the stage and I didn't see any options for my party to chat with her, but she gets bumped off in the cutscene after the mission, and it makes me wonder.
I'm on a no-death run so far and was hoping to recruit everyone I could, but it looks certain that I'll miss some here and there without the aid of a guide, especially if some of them have weird recruitment methods (like that one character in Awakening that you have to talk to three times without killing).

Quick tip for you folks as I couldn't have survived this chapter without it: if two of your units are paired up, the main unit can take another action (e.g. attacking) after dumping his or her partner with Transfer, but can't take another action after dropping off the partner on the field with Separate. I think it worked the same way in Awakening but I couldn't remember until I tested it on a turn where it absolutely had to work if I wanted to keep everyone alive.

Xenoflare

Question about Conquest 13 for others who have completed it.
Is Scarlet supposed to be recruitable in Conquest? She was the boss of the stage and I didn't see any options for my party to chat with her, but she gets bumped off in the cutscene after the mission, and it makes me wonder.
I'm on a no-death run so far and was hoping to recruit everyone I could, but it looks certain that I'll miss some here and there without the aid of a guide, especially if some of them have weird recruitment methods (like that one character in Awakening that you have to talk to three times without killing).

No, technically
She is one of the few characters who are only available on one route. She's only avaliable in Birthright

Don't remember having to talk to anyone in Awakening 3 times.

You sure you're not talking about an older game?

EDIT: Nevermind, looked it up and it's
Gangrel. Forgot about him.

No, technically
She is one of the few characters who are only available on one route. She's only avaliable in Birthright

Thanks. It's strange to be constantly fighting named characters from the other branch, in a way, as older games in the series got me accustomed to the convention that anybody with a unique name who isn't also a boss is probably recruitable. Now I just have no idea.

One of the free postgame missions from SpotPass, if I remember correctly.
Gangrel.

Xenoflare

Gangrel's recruitment, you must talk to him three times with chrom. I had to unequip his weapon to make sure Chrom doesn't kill him since his AI is dead set to make him die

And I'm pretty sure Fate's overall colour palate is a lot muted than awakening. I compared to awakening DLC map with the actual awakening game and found out the grass is literally greener on the other side

Is Nyx actually a good unit? She died during Chapter 10 for me and I was wondering if its worth leaving her behind or should I reset? I still have Odin though he's only at level 5 for me.

EDIT: I guess this is technically a support convo spoiler for Revelations. Just realized that now.

So this tweet has been making the rounds.

I don't see what kind of justification can be made for replacing an entire support conversation with repeated periods.

It would be interesting to see a compilation of the changes that are like this.

I probably wouldn't bother looking at it until after I'm done with the game though. Otherwise I'd just be annoyed at the changes I don't agree with.

EDIT: I guess this is technically a support convo spoiler for Revelations. Just realized that now.

I don't see what kind of justification can be made for replacing an entire support conversation with repeated periods.

I probably wouldn't bother looking at it until after I'm done with the game though. Otherwise I'd just be annoyed at the changes I don't agree with.
Lol woow that can't be real. Seriously treehouse?

Kanashimi

Been playing Conquest. My roommate got both and picked Birthright first, so I was stuck with the harder of the two. Thankfully, it hasn't been too much of an issue with perma death on (I'm on Chapter 8). I just wish my
father wasn't a colossal douche-nozzle.

I think I've finally hit a wall at chpt 12 conquest. Saizo and Kagero are kicking my ass. Not sure what to do.

How you approach them will depend on what your party looks like, but I found an elegant way to take out the ninja cluster in the central section pretty quickly. (Conquest 12)
I pumped Niles' speed stat as much as I could, pairing Felicia behind him and using the speed buff from Sing that Azura picks up as a skill pretty early on. Laslow's strength buff may also come in handy to give you the edge you need. Then without breaking the central row of pots, I positioned the pair to bait as many of the ranged enemies as I could, and Niles was able to double-hit all of them while scarcely getting hit in return due to the weapon triangle advantage—bows (green) beat shuriken (blue). (Good positioning is crucial: the idea is to pull enemies out of range of the central medicine pots so you can break through on the next turn without healing them. I had to put my super-pair on the bottom left corner of the enemy units' range.) If he does get hit by a shuriken, you need to account for the debuff to his damage, but the general idea is to have him take out all of the surrounding ninjas and also do a significant amount of damage. The next turn, break the pots and rush down the miniboss duo. Just watch out for Countermagic; it affects all magical weapons including Dragonstones, not just tomes, so don't kill yourself by smashing into it.

Obviously this method depends on having a very fast ranged attacker who can double-hit the bosses and survive a hit from either physical or magical damage. But the general idea is to avoid attacking into the miniboss pair directly until you are absolutely sure you can kill them that turn and live to tell the tale. I recommend taking them in the centre instead of pulling them to the rooms on the side, as the choke points will hinder you more than they will help when so many enemy units have weapons with 1-2 range, and you need some space to get all your attackers into position. The AI is rather gracious about attacking with the surrounding underlings first, so you want to take as many of them out as you can with counterattacks while the passage is still blocked.

stoff

What the hell?
Is this a placeholder that just got through unnoticed?

pahamrick

What the hell?
Is this a placeholder that just got through unnoticed?

Holy hell. I hope it's a bug / placeholder that got missed, because who in their right mind thought that would be a good idea? Terrible.

Brakke

Banned
It's fucked up to marry Muzo / Hayato to anyone but each other, right? I kinda hate how basically all pairings are possible. Muzo's a damn orphan kid, I don't want her having weird father figure things with my adult soldiers.

But what's the second support? I don't know that B----- character but the 4chan image makes like that's a cold-blooded motherfucker. Two ice cold killers staring each other down / sizing each other up might be alright if they follow up on it? If I got that first support it'd definitely spur me to seek out the second.

This game's tone is all over the place though. In Birthright early on there's that mission where the village leader stages the battle as a way to size you up. But yo I straight up murdered like fifteen of his people and that's just... chill I guess? Cool plan, you psychopath. I hope they impeach you.

pahamrick

It's fucked up to marry Muzo / Hayato to anyone but each other, right? I kinda hate how basically all pairings are possible. Muzo's a damn orphan kid, I don't want her having weird father figure things with my adult soldiers.

I married Muzo to Silas, I thought their support conversations were cute.

yami4ct

I married Muzo to Silas, I thought their support conversations were cute.

That's the direction my supports are naturally going in as well. I kind of like the way he's pushing her to better herself. It's not really a 'father figure' relationship as it is comrades in arms. It's nice.

pahamrick

Silias and Hana have the best support convos.
I'll have to work on their support next.

That's the direction my supports are naturally going in as well. I kind of like the way he's pushing her to better herself. It's not really a 'father figure' relationship as it is comrades in arms. It's nice.

Yeah, it's one of the reason I liked it.

I will say that the conversations between Subaki and Orochi have been great as well.

Does Conquest really cut into the relationship stuff? I'm trying to figure out which to buy today. I like that Conquest has more variety and challenge, but I'm not ashamed to admit I want the support dialogue as well.

Shun

Does Conquest really cut into the relationship stuff? I'm trying to figure out which to buy today. I like that Conquest has more variety and challenge, but I'm not ashamed to admit I want the support dialogue as well.

No there is plenty it is just the average player won't be able to get them all unless you know what you are doing and optimize from the start.

You can still support grind outside of the story and not break the game. if you go battle by battle without cheesing then it is difficult but if you support grind you can get all the kids easy. this game has a ton of supports total because of the potential unique ones per path.

NeonZ

Not really. There aren't map skirmishes, so getting supports could be harder... but you still can do castle battles to earn support points (you won't gain experience though).

zeromcd73

I just can't keep playing.

Gave up on Nohr last year at chapter 16 due to the story being so nauseatingly awful. Decided to try Hoshido, and it's not as bad as Nohr, but the story and characters are so boring I can't continue past chapter 21.

Please make a better story and less tropey characters next time :(

I have to decide soon.

The fact that there are three campaigns means that I'm much less anal on who gets paired with whom for Birthright and Conquest. I'll only really focus on the pairings when I get to Revelations.

No there is plenty it is just the average player won't be able to get them all unless you know what you are doing and optimize from the start.

You can still support grind outside of the story and not break the game. if you go battle by battle without cheesing then it is difficult but if you support grind you can get all the kids easy. this game has a ton of supports total because of the potential unique ones per path.

Not really. There aren't map skirmishes, so getting supports could be harder... but you still can do castle battles to earn support points (you won't gain experience though).

Thank you two, Conquest it is!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm not sure if I want to use my same MC from Birthright for Conquest or not. Also not sure if I want to go female in Conquest, because I really want to marry Effie.

Also, the "how do I stop Setsuna from smoking weed" post destroyed me, lol. I married her and she sounds slightly more normal in her "love scenes" but still sounds like something is wrong with her, mentally. I like her a lot (especially her Kinshi Knight animations) but she is definitely a weird character, including her weirdly specific gimmick.

Also, do Pieri's kids get her candy cane multicolored hair, or is it just blue?

How you approach them will depend on what your party looks like, but I found an elegant way to take out the ninja cluster in the central section pretty quickly. (Conquest 12)
I pumped Niles' speed stat as much as I could, pairing Felicia behind him and using the speed buff from Sing that Azura picks up as a skill pretty early on. Laslow's strength buff may also come in handy to give you the edge you need. Then without breaking the central row of pots, I positioned the pair to bait as many of the ranged enemies as I could, and Niles was able to double-hit all of them while scarcely getting hit in return due to the weapon triangle advantage—bows (green) beat shuriken (blue). (Good positioning is crucial: the idea is to pull enemies out of range of the central medicine pots so you can break through on the next turn without healing them. I had to put my super-pair on the bottom left corner of the enemy units' range.) If he does get hit by a shuriken, you need to account for the debuff to his damage, but the general idea is to have him take out all of the surrounding ninjas and also do a significant amount of damage. The next turn, break the pots and rush down the miniboss duo. Just watch out for Countermagic; it affects all magical weapons including Dragonstones, not just tomes, so don't kill yourself by smashing into it.

Obviously this method depends on having a very fast ranged attacker who can double-hit the bosses and survive a hit from either physical or magical damage. But the general idea is to avoid attacking into the miniboss pair directly until you are absolutely sure you can kill them that turn and live to tell the tale. I recommend taking them in the centre instead of pulling them to the rooms on the side, as the choke points will hinder you more than they will help when so many enemy units have weapons with 1-2 range, and you need some space to get all your attackers into position. The AI is rather gracious about attacking with the surrounding underlings first, so you want to take as many of them out as you can with counterattacks while the passage is still blocked.

Thanks for the tips. I think I may be a bit under leveled (Azura is level 7). I should probably so my first invasion to boost a few characters.

Rozart

Note that in Conquest it is pretty hard getting all of them if at all unless you optimize supports or support grind.

O damn. Is it because there's not enough time to get the characters to their S support convos? So, should I be starting to pair up the characters I want to hook up asap?

Forkball

Is it just me or is Corrin kind of an dumbass/ass/asshole?

Robin was intelligent, calm, and reserved. Corrin is kinda all over the place. After Mozu's entire family is killed, he's just like "Yeah I know everything you've known and love got destroyed but there isn't like an aunt you can stay with?" And in one of the paralogues he's like "I'LL STAIN THE FIELDS WITH YOUR BLOOOOOOOD."

Sciel

I just can't keep playing.

Gave up on Nohr last year at chapter 16 due to the story being so nauseatingly awful. Decided to try Hoshido, and it's not as bad as Nohr, but the story and characters are so boring I can't continue past chapter 21.

Please make a better story and less tropey characters next time :(
Pretty much how i feel (I'm playing Conquest atm).

The premise of the two games is fantastic but somehow they managed to screw it up so badly. The storytelling at times is god awful (no transition and weird jump between events, terrible plot, characters with paper think personalities/background).

I think my biggest issue with the plot is most things that happen are due to misunderstandings. Plus how
Corrin has more sense in Birthright than Conquest. You would think he/she would realize Garon wants him/her dead.

vareon

Birthright 10 and 11 was fun. On 11, my progress was always halted by reinforcements, forcing me to retreat and reposition (and a few near-deaths). Then during the last two turns, the enemies rushed I basically had to defeat 7 enemies or so on a single turn. Thank god for the new pairing mechanic AND the fact that I reclassed Mozu into Archer just before the battle.

Top Bottom