• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

NeonZ

Pretty much how i feel (I'm playing Conquest atm).

The premise of the two games is fantastic but somehow they managed to screw it up so badly. The storytelling at times is god awful (no transition and weird jump between events, terrible plot, characters with paper think personalities/background).

They really don't seem to want to bring back the map narration with exposition, so sudden jumps from one location to another are pretty much inevitable.

I'm annoyed that NOA is messing up with the supports so much, but basically seems to have done nothing for the Conquest story. There's stuff that easily could have been improved with just dialogue tweaks but they've changed basically nothing up to the point I've seen.

-Rather than outright not killing anyone, somehow, they could just make the dialogue say that Corrin treats surrendering soldiers well and let retreating soldiers go. He'd still be admired and different from how Nohr usually is, but we wouldn't have this crazy scenario of somehow beating an entire army without killing anyone. Several times.

-Bring up the Hoshido invasions alongside the throne stuff. Yes, they were just an answer to something started by Nohr, but they were still invasions and shouldn't be ignored if he cares about Nohr's people at all. By adding the motivation of stopping Hoshido's attacks, the throne stuff wouldn't be driving the second half by itself.

Rewind

I think I've finally hit a wall at chpt 12 conquest. Saizo and Kagero are kicking my ass. Not sure what to do.

You can avoid the middle group completely if you have a way to kill the archer with the door key. Just don't aggro the ninja boss or you aggro the whole ninja group.

I just can't keep playing.

Gave up on Nohr last year at chapter 16 due to the story being so nauseatingly awful. Decided to try Hoshido, and it's not as bad as Nohr, but the story and characters are so boring I can't continue past chapter 21.

Please make a better story and less tropey characters next time :(

Pretty much how i feel (I'm playing Conquest atm).

The premise of the two games is fantastic but somehow they managed to screw it up so badly. The storytelling at times is god awful (no transition and weird jump between events, terrible plot, characters with paper think personalities/background).
It can't be that bad right?.. Only in birthright chapter 8 or 9

Chase17

Birthright 10 and 11 was fun. On 11, my progress was always halted by reinforcements, forcing me to retreat and reposition (and a few near-deaths). Then during the last two turns, the enemies rushed I basically had to defeat 7 enemies or so on a single turn. Thank god for the new pairing mechanic AND the fact that I reclassed Mozu into Archer just before the battle.
This happened to me. But I was stuck in the middle when they converged. Corrin got killed. Going to replay it today though. Redemption will be mine.

Birthright 11 on Hard turned out to be not as hard as I was expecting. I was able to effectively keep my Archers protected behind a defensive wall and easily took out anything that got close and my Kinshi Knight just flew around the map and one shotted everything that came close and only needed to retreat back to the group once for healing.

Prax

I hope all of you guys having a hard time on hard doesn't mean I'll be crying..

I am a resetter type and I'll be playing on classic hard. My precious hours.. ;_;

vareon

I am a resetter type and I'll be playing on classic hard. My precious hours.. ;_;

I reset too, but I don't think I'll be playing Hard on Conquest. I probably managed to get this far because I like to grind in short battles in between work breaks.

zeromcd73

It can't be that bad right?.. Only in birthright chapter 8 or 9
I think you should be fine on Birthright. Conquest was the one that made me wanna bang my head in disbelief. I just really care about story and characters no matter what game I play, so even if the gameplay is good like here or in MGS5, I just can't do it.

You can avoid the middle group completely if you have a way to kill the archer with the door key. Just don't aggro the ninja boss or you aggro the whole ninja group.

I want his flame star though.

I think I found a strategy that works for my underleveled characters. I'm sitting Niles with Camilla next to him in a position where the ninjas attack him. With the help of Camilla he is able to kill everything (save the mini bosses) and survive. Almost finished the level before I ran into Ryoma and he one shot Effie. T_T

jorgejjvr

The new implementation of people next to each other attack, has so many strategy implementation, I love it

BTW, how do you protect your castle?

You feed Lilith, but what does that do? How do you put soldiers or so on to protect? Not sure how that works

GeekyDad

Mmm...Fire Emblem makes me all toasty inside. Even with the bad dialogue and storytelling.

Must say, think this game has the most beautiful 3D cutscenes. Most other games on the 3DS, the cutscenes either don't bother with 3D at all, or it's just really poorly done.

Busaiku

Augh, I dunno how I'm gonna get the last few children...
I figured I'd use the Paralogues to grind up support for the non-prepromotes that I haven't been using, but those also scale...
Benny, Charlotte, Nyx, and Keaton are still so low...
Keaton might do alright, and I can just put Benny with Camilla since he's not too far behind either, but Xander and Leo will be severely handicapped...
Mozu's not an option at all either.

Gaah, why can't children just be guaranteed after a certain point...

vareon

You know, before I play this game, just looking at Corrin's design, I thought she was a dragon tribe living on her own or something.

But no! She's just a princess who doesn't like wearing shoes and dresses differently from her siblings for some reason.

Dad

The new implementation of people next to each other attack, has so many strategy implementation, I love it

You feed Lilith, but what does that do? How do you put soldiers or so on to protect? Not sure how that works

Feeding Lilith boosts her stats as she's an ally unit during invasions. You can eventually build some defensive structures and mechanical units to help out from the building menu in My Castle. Even if they or your buildings get broken, they'll be automatically repaired after the invasion.

Draxal

They really don't seem to want to bring back the map narration with exposition, so sudden jumps from one location to another are pretty much inevitable.

I'm annoyed that NOA is messing up with the supports so much, but basically seems to have done nothing for the Conquest story. There's stuff that easily could have been improved with just dialogue tweaks but they've changed basically nothing up to the point I've seen.

-Rather than outright not killing anyone, somehow, they could just make the dialogue say that Corrin treats surrendering soldiers well and let retreating soldiers go. He'd still be admired and different from how Nohr usually is, but we wouldn't have this crazy scenario of somehow beating an entire army without killing anyone. Several times.

-Bring up the Hoshido invasions alongside the throne stuff. Yes, they were just an answer to something started by Nohr, but they were still invasions and shouldn't be ignored if he cares about Nohr's people at all. By adding the motivation of stopping Hoshido's attacks, the throne stuff wouldn't be driving the second half by itself.

I mentioned this in the community thread, but I think Conquest's story got split off into Revelations and as a result both got fucked up. Birthright is a simple story, that's not too offensive, but Conquest ... is welp.

NeonZ

It's in the menu in the crystal ball, you can choose 10 units to place around the map. It's basically for the invasion battles that pop up once in a while after advancing enough through the main story and for the online My Castle battles, either someone else challenging your team as npcs or you challenging someone else's team but choosing your own castle as the arena.

10 and 11 are the walls from what I played. 14 was a bit tricky, but Ryoma is your Frederick in this game.

Neoweee

I just noticed this game doesn't have a red and green cavalier.

Where's my Kyle/Forde
Kent/Sain
Oscar/Keiran
Sully/Stahl?

The games/game's archetypes feel quite a bit less pronounced than in previous entries, which I'm perfectly okay with. Skills muddy the waters further.

intersting im seeing alot of people that dont like the story yet reviewers praised the story as good i loved awakenings story and im enjoying birthright so far.

What happens with skills if I have access to a class from 2 pre-promotes (say Archer & Sky Knight for Kinshi Knight) but didn't get the skills of either base class (because I used my other class option and got the 3rd class from Seals) ? Do I get all 4 base class skills before I start learning Kinshi skills ?

Do you get more master seals in the store when you upgrade the staff store? I'm only needing one more to have every major member of my party upgraded.

Yeah, you get more of each seal at Rank 2 and Infinite of all Seals at Rank 3.

Do you get more master seals in the store when you upgrade the staff store? I'm only needing one more to have every major member of my party upgraded.
You get 3 for Level 1 and 5 for Level 2 so I assume it might become unlimited on final upgrade. It is best to buy any limited stock before upgrading because it gets restocked.

Draxal

intersting im seeing alot of people that dont like the story yet reviewers praised the story as good i loved awakenings story and im enjoying birthright so far.

Fire Emblem 7-8 (Had decent stories not - not including 9-10-11 in this because I got bored of 9 and 11 terribly fast and 10's a direct sequel to 9). And Awakening was a drop off from those stories(imho).

The 3ds games got rid of a narrator, which simplifies the narrative a ton.

As for characters, the majority of fire emblem characters are trope fests, and it just matters if the trope works or not for you.

vareon

Where do I buy more Seals if it's out of stock?

My units are approaching their teen levels, I wonder if I should start reclassing them or just wait the usual Level 20 -> Master Seal route.

I guess ninjas are the new thing?

Revelations
gives you yet another Samurai , while subtracting a Merchant and Priest which are rarer classes.

Where do I buy more Seals if it's out of stock?

My units are approaching their teen levels, I wonder if I should start reclassing them or just wait the usual Level 20 -> Master Seal route.

You should theoretically be able to buy them from Level 3 stores in Other Peoples My Castle via Wi-Fi (you can't buy stuff that isn't Infinite but Seals are Infinite in Level 3 stores)

Ohnonono

Can anyone give me a list of units that are better to just let rest in Conquest after you start getting more characters? I like most of them but at some point I know I need to maximize who I am taking on the missions with me.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
A more striking thing is that they don't hand out free vulnerarys like candy. :(

I haven't used, or bought, a single one in 15 chapters of Birthright on Hard. And now that I've reclassed a few units into classes that have access to Rods I don't see myself doing so any time in the future. Having access to 1-2 rng healing weapons from the game's start really changes things.

Whoops, didn't realize that units can perma-die in the optional invasion battles.

Welp, time for another reset.

Trolling Classic players by running teams who sucked at everything but randomly causing instant death was a hobby off some people in Awakening. I really don't know what IS was thinking with having Perma-Death carrying through to those.

Forkball

So is face rubbing in the game? I just got an event where I had to wake up my wife by poking at her face. Then she kissed me.

Fire Emblem.

Boney

Banned
Just wanted to say that lance soldiers having a skill that reduce your defense by 6 is total bs.

But I'm loving this game

Thanx

I like Silas, but I need them children

I just don't wanna somehow end up with Rinkah -__-

I'm a little confused now: Silas isn't a character a male Corrin can S rank with. There's only one non-straight option on each route: Ajraht on Birthright (can S rank female!Corrin) and Niles on Conquest (can S rank male!Corrin) , both are available on Revelations.

Dad

Scarlet any good as far as prepromotes go? Desperately need a new axe user since Rinkah turned out kind of bad

ryseing

Trolling Classic players by running teams who sucked at everything but randomly causing instant death was a hobby off some people in Awakening. I really don't know what IS was thinking with having Perma-Death carrying through to those.

The all-Counter Streetpass teams were top tier level trolling.

After the disappointment of missing the special edition pre-order window in Canada I didn't bother pre-ordering this game.

Ending up purchasing whatever copy they had in stock, which ended up being birthright, would have preferred Conquest, but I planned to go through all the campaigns anyway. I would have thought that after Awakening Nintendo would have stocked this game better.

Made it up to Chapter 6. Time for my choice, though I only have one path at the moment, so it is not really a choice.

It wouldn't be fire emblem if the RNG didn't screw me over. Ended up dieing to the boss of chapter 5 when my main character missed his attack. One hit, that was I that he need. The worst part was I had some great level ups leading up to that point.

Of course when I retry, the level ups are worse. And when I need to hit the enemy twice, with less chance to hit, I got both hits.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Thanx

I like Silas, but I need them children

I just don't wanna somehow end up with Rinkah -__-

Well you really only have 2 options among the first gen characters to Marry unless you're OK with losing a child due to a wifeless male character that produces a child. There are 2 female companions that only have supports with Corrin and no one else at all, which makes no sense, especially for one of them. Fine if they can't marry but why they have no other supports is bizarre.

Meanwhile that results in all the remaining females being needed to pair up with the childbearing male characters. Cause I think only Corrin is able to marry any of the children. So you do have more than 2 options, just not among first gens.

Well you really only have 2 options among the first gen characters to Marry unless you're OK with losing a child due to a wifeless male character that produces a child. There are 2 female companions that only have supports with Corrin and no one else at all, which makes no sense, especially for one of them. Fine if they can't marry but why they have no other supports is bizarre.

Meanwhile that results in all the remaining females being needed to pair up with the childbearing male characters. Cause I think only Corrin is able to marry any of the children. So you do have more than 2 options, just not among first gens.

Scarlet
has no other supports because she's a plot death after 2 chapters in your party on Revelations
. No idea why Reina doesn't.

Neoweee

Ending up purchasing whatever copy they had in stock, which ended up being birthright, would have preferred Conquest, but I planned to go through all the campaigns anyway. I would have thought that after Awakening Nintendo would have stocked this game better.

I've seen people say this, but did stores really not receive all that they ordered?

Top Bottom