• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

NeonZ

Is Revelation looking to be a full size game, or is it more of an expansion?

There are just as many story chapters as in the other two campaigns, but there's no new castle style, just both added together, all paralogues are reused from the other campaigns and there's only one Revelation exclusive party member. The number of reused locations/maps also increases significantly when you add Revelations to the mix.

Moonlight

Banned
Hey, so is there any way to purely support grind in Conquest? I figured there would be something in My Castle for that, but not noticing anything obvious. Unless you can level supports 'testing defenses'.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hey, so is there any way to purely support grind in Conquest? I figured there would be something in My Castle for that, but not noticing anything obvious. Unless you can level supports 'testing defenses'.

You can invade other player's castles still online right? There are a ton of "easy win" castles in the top Battle Rankings. A number have very high level characters, with no weapons. You can go in there and just spam attack them, you get support points even for dealing no damage, and then seize the castle.

spiritfox

You should be able to replay the DLC mission for supports.

NeonZ

Visit low level castles and choose to battle against their owners. That battle gives support points.

I've seen people say this, but did stores really not receive all that they ordered?

All I know is that EB games around my area got enough for pre-orders launch day and nothing more. The only reason there was stock on the weekend was due to emergency rush shipments.

I didn't check all stores that sell video games because I was lazy, but I feel like they should have been better prepared.

Lunar15

I'm really not going to worry about who gets paired with who on my first conquest run. It's just going to be a thing where I rank up support as it comes, and whoever marries, marries. I'll worry more about kids in Revelation.

Moonlight

Banned
You can invade other player's castles still online right? There are a ton of "easy win" castles in the top Battle Rankings. A number have very high level characters, with no weapons. You can go in there and just spam attack them, you get support points even for dealing no damage, and then seize the castle.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Can someone explain how the lv 40 characters work? My Azura is at lv 18. If I class change Azura to pegasus knight, she stays lv 18. I understand this. When I promote her to kinshi knight immediately, she becomes a promoted lv 1. Does this make her lv 21 under the hood? And then she can only get 19 more level-ups?

Jospina

Banned
On chapter 8 (hard) and still can't wrap my head around "pairing" and I really want to get it this time, I pretty much completely ignored it in awakening.

Why is it worth sacrificing a turn for +2-3 to a couple of stats? What kind of pair-ups are most useful? I've been pairing up high-hp characters with healers but when I have to switch to a healer to heal on the current turn, it leaves the healer open to pretty much get 1-shot by most other units, so I've found it better to keep the healer seperate and mobile. Any major advantages I can gain from pairing?

Can someone explain how the lv 40 characters work? My Azura is at lv 18. If I class change Azura to pegasus knight, she stays lv 18. I understand this. When I promote her to kinshi knight immediately, she becomes a promoted lv 1. Does this make her lv 21 under the hood? And then she can only get 19 more level-ups?

Yep !

Kinsei

Banned
On chapter 8 (hard) and still can't wrap my head around "pairing" and I really want to get it this time, I pretty much completely ignored it in awakening.

Why is it worth sacrificing a turn for +2-3 to a couple of stats? What kind of pair-ups are most useful? I've been pairing up high-hp characters with healers but when I have to switch to a healer to heal on the current turn, it leaves the healer open to pretty much get 1-shot by most other units, so I've found it better to keep the healer seperate and mobile. Any major advantages I can gain from pairing?

Pairing up makes you immune to dual attacks.

Xenoflare

Characters who are level 40s means that they are in an unpromotoable class like the Songstress or the dread fighter.

While we are at it if I keep Jakob/Felicia as Bulter and Maid their max level is 30 right?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Not really. You're skipping out on those 2 levels. Promoting doesn't make up for that. So no real reason to promote her if you don't have to as you'll be missing out on a some stat growths.

Edit: Actually I have no idea about characters like Azura whose base class has no promotion and just goes to 40. If you switch back to Songstress after using a Master Seal on another class when you're only 18 I'm not sure what level you'd be once you return. My guess though is that you'll be 21, meaning you missed 3 level ups.

Draxal

Characters who are level 40s means that they are in an unpromotoable class like the Songstress or the dread fighter.

While we are at it if I keep Jakob/Felicia as Bulter and Maid their max level is 30 right?

40. Jakob/Felicia are weird characters that basically have 4 eternal seals built in.

Healer shouldn't (almost) never get paired up, they are support unit and they gain almost nothing by pairing up. Pairing up, should be eased if a unit need a stat bonus, to survive an enemy turn or killing something that he couldn't before. Don't use that like Awakening since it does not make you straight up better anymore. Attack stance is way more efficient if you want to kill multiple enemies for example. Pairing up is still great but not as broken as Awakening, so sometimes, it's best to split up.

Also healer should never be in an enemy's range, be smart about that

Xenoflare

40. Jakob/Felicia are weird characters that basically have 4 eternal seals built in.

My Jakob is level 27 butler but if I use the dread scroll he will be level 47. Oh or are you saying that he will be level 60 in those special unpromotoable class

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Thanks!

IS please. Can anyone confirm/clarify?

Not really. You're skipping out on those 2 levels. Promoting doesn't make up for that. So no real reason to promote her if you don't have to as you'll be missing out on a some stat growths.

Edit: Actually I have no idea about characters like Azura whose base class has no promotion and just goes to 40. If you switch back to Songstress after using a Master Seal on another class when you're only 18 I'm not sure what level you'd be once you return. My guess though is that you'll be 21, meaning you missed 3 level ups.
Technically, you'd miss 2 level-ups. 18 -> 19 and 19 -> 20. Promoting from 20 -> 1 doesn't count. =)

Boney

Banned
I feel kinda scummy grinding my dancer a bit, but I'll take it.

As said below, it helps big time in avoiding enemy dual attacks and allows you to position yourself defensively a lot better l, the extra stats can also make a big difference when the time comes. You'll want to keep one or two units paired up on the front to resist enemies first attacks and then have your free members make use of dual attacks. It'll also matter if the enemy units are paired up, because they'll resist dual attacks from you as well. Also, after a few attacks, when the bar bellow your Hp fills up you'll get a guaranteed block from your partner.

Basically, pairing up is for defensive purposes and having them side by side is for offensive purposes.

Rozart

Okay, so Corrin just hit level 20. Should I promote her to a Nohr Noble or would a heart seal (to a Samurai) followed by a Master Seal (to a Sowrdsmaster) be better? And do yuo get more Heart Seals later on?

I love the costume design of the Nohr classes but I don't know if I'm missing something but the class skills of a Nohr Noble doesn't seem all that impressive.

On a similar note what happens with Camille on Nohr ? She joins as a Promote relatively early on. Her stats seem quite decent but I haven't done the math to work out if its just decent relative to other characters at that point or if she's supposed to be a Frederick/Jeigan type.

Luigi87

Okay resumed my bookmark for Hard/Classic Conquest Ch.8 last night and just have the boss left.

Setting my units around and opening a calculator determining how to single turn this, lol

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Technically, you'd miss 2 level-ups. 18 -> 19 and 19 -> 20. Promoting from 20 -> 1 doesn't count. =)

For normal classes that's true, but technically wouldn't you be missing out on 20-21 for Songstress/Maid/Butler classes that go to 40 and have no promotion? Or would reclassing back to those base classes from level 1 Promoted bring you level 20 and not 21?

I feel kinda scummy grinding my dancer a bit, but I'll take it.

As said below, it helps big time in avoiding enemy dual attacks and allows you to position yourself defensively a lot better l, the extra stats can also make a big difference when the time comes. You'll want to keep one or two units paired up on the front to resist enemies first attacks and then have your free members make use of dual attacks. It'll also matter if the enemy units are paired up, because they'll resist dual attacks from you as well. Also, after a few attacks, when the bar bellow your Hp fills up you'll get a guaranteed block from your partner.

Basically, pairing up is for defensive purposes and having them side by side is for offensive purposes.

Yep. I actually like the changes a lot, since aside from the obvious nerfs to an op system, it also makes things far less rng dependent. No longer is it a percent chance to either duel attack or duel guard. Since dual guard fills at a set rate, and duel attack always occurs if you meet the conditions, it's much easier to take them into account when planning. And since a full duel gauge can be stored until an attack, you can use it to tank a boss hit that might have been fatal otherwise, or cool stuff like that

Gestahl

EDIT: I guess this is technically a support convo spoiler for Revelations. Just realized that now.

So this tweet has been making the rounds.

I don't see what kind of justification can be made for replacing an entire support conversation with repeated periods.

It would be interesting to see a compilation of the changes that are like this.

I probably wouldn't bother looking at it until after I'm done with the game though. Otherwise I'd just be annoyed at the changes I don't agree with.

This makes zero sense because Saizo is a chatty motherfucker and this joke is already in the game with Benny and Beruka. Well I imported so whatever don't really care, but it definitely seems like someone who maybe shouldn't have their job at Treehouse had a heavy hand on this localization

For normal classes that's true, but technically wouldn't you be missing out on 20-21 for Songstress/Maid/Butler classes that go to 40 and have no promotion? Or would reclassing back to those base classes from level 1 Promoted bring you level 20 and not 21?
Maid and Butler should not be equated to songstress, since they're technically a normal promoted class. It's not the class that allows Jacob and Felicia to go to 40, it's that the designers built 4 eternal seals into each character. Later in the game you can get eternal seals to raise the level cap for any promoted unit

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Oh good point!

This brings me back to my #1 complaint with the game
story be damned
. So many mechanics are obfuscated for no good reason.

Luigi87

Okay resumed my bookmark for Hard/Classic Conquest Ch.8 last night and just have the boss left.

Setting my units around and opening a calculator determining how to single turn this, lol

Okay, Jakob weakening him and then sending Corrin in for the kill with a double attack was the plan (I didn't want to risk anyone else)... Corrin's first attack missed, got countered, but then Dragon Fang activated on the second attack to finish him.

That was awesome.

Draxal

On a similar note what happens with Camille on Nohr ? She joins as a Promote relatively early on. Her stats seem quite decent but I haven't done the math to work out if its just decent relative to other characters at that point or if she's supposed to be a Frederick/Jeigan type.

She's not a Jeigan, she's a beast, has a great class (well wrong promotion in the class) and great stats.

She's just a really good early prepromote unit.

Boney

Banned
I'm a little confused regarding castle invasions that can occur. The ai targets buildings the most but apparently there's no punishment after you win the fight? What else is there other than extra exp?

Also eternal seals? I'm guessing they raise level caps? And butlers as I assumed are promoted units that still get good experience unlike the usual jeigans.

Honestly all of the seals there are have me a little confused. I'm sailing relatively smoothly up to chapter 10 conquest but I'm still a bit overwhelmed

Yep. I actually like the changes a lot, since aside from the obvious nerfs to an op system, it also makes things far less rng dependent. No longer is it a percent chance to either duel attack or duel guard. Since dual guard fills at a set rate, and duel attack always occurs if you meet the conditions, it's much easier to take them into account when planning. And since a full duel gauge can be stored until an attack, you can use it to tank a boss hit that might have been fatal otherwise, or cool stuff like that
Yep they really overhauled it perfectly, making supports a lot more integral than ever without being stupid.

Ohnonono

Can someone give a basic idea of how promotion works and when it is best to do it? It seems completely nuts. I have not touched anyone yet cause I have read to wait till level 20. What to do after that I have no idea. I don't know what seals to use on who and why.

Luigi87

I'm going to have to start writing down my planned pairings...

Simul-playing Birthright and Conquest I sometimes forget "Wait no I want to build support between X and Y in this one..."

Can someone give a basic idea of how promotion works and when it is best to do it? It seems completely nuts. I have not touched anyone yet cause I have read to wait till level 20. What to do after that I have no idea. I don't know what seals to use on who and why.

Master Seal is for promoting (the other seals are for reclassing under different conditions. You get them all in the Staff Shop). Lv.20 is ideal since those are extra stat levels you would miss out on if you Promoted beforehand (since when you promote you go back to lv.1, and 20 is the cap for any class). The important thing to remember about Fire Emblem is that stats (and skills) are more important than levels.

And butlers as I assumed are promoted units that still get good experience unlike the usual jeigans.
Yeah I didn't realize this until Ch.8, so I've stopped feeding Jakob EXP for a while, lol

I'm a little confused regarding castle invasions that can occur. The ai targets buildings the most but apparently there's no punishment after you win the fight? What else is there other than extra exp?

Also eternal seals? I'm guessing they raise level caps? And butlers as I assumed are promoted units that still get good experience unlike the usual jeigans.

Honestly all of the seals there are have me a little confused. I'm sailing relatively smoothly up to chapter 10 conquest but I'm still a bit overwhelmed

Yep they really overhauled it perfectly, making supports a lot more integral than ever without being stupid.
Once you upgrade buildings they start giving the defending team bonuses. Plus they obstruct the map. In a recent battle I had at someone else's castle I targeted the buildings first to weaken their units

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I'm only through Ch. 15 and just started messing with Seals and even then only Master and Heart Seals. So you have a while to go before you need to really pay attention to them. Eternals extend your level cap by 5 and can go all the way to lvl 99. Friendship Seals let you reclass to the class of your A+ Support units and Partner Seal lets you relcass to your spouses classes. I've yet to get any A+ or S supports yet, though I'm close, but I doubt it's something I'll be looking to do for a while yet.

Don't worry about it. Just wait till lvl 20 and Master Seal your characters as you see fit. Choose whatever Promoted class you think is best and if neither option seems like a good fit use a Heart Seal to reclass them to one of the other 2 possible Promoted classes they have.

You really only need to worry about Eternal, Friendship and Partner Seals if you want to really min/max your characters and make perfect builds. And you can always do that down the line if you want to.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Oh, are invasions mandatory? I see one on the world map, but what happens if I ignore it?

Most of your characters start at a base class (Samurai, Cavalier, Sky Knight, etc.). They can level up from 1 to 20. They will learn two class skills as a base class.

You can use a Master Seal to promote them to an advanced class. An advanced class will learn two more class skills while leveling up. Their level is "reset" to 1, and they can level up to 20 again.

As you can see, characters starting in a base class can level up 40 times: 1-20 in a base class and 1-20 again in an advanced class. The reason why you wait to 20 to promote is because you would be missing level-ups if you skip them in the base class.

As for the other seals, they all let you class change. This is different from promotion. Class changing is a sideways move: base -> base or advanced -> advanced
also advanced -> base, but you probably won't need that
. You retain your level and you will catch up on the skills you missed in the new class over time. There are three class change seals, and they all just adjust which class you can change over to.

Ohnonono

Oh, are invasions mandatory? I see one on the world map, but what happens if I ignore it?

Most of your characters start at a base class (Samurai, Cavalier, Sky Knight, etc.). They can level up from 1 to 20. They will learn two class skills as a base class.

You can use a Master Seal to promote them to an advanced class. An advanced class will learn two more class skills while leveling up. Their level is "reset" to 1, and they can level up to 20 again.

As you can see, characters starting in a base class can level up 40 times: 1-20 in a base class and 1-20 again in an advanced class. The reason why you wait to 20 to promote is because you would be missing level-ups if you skip them in the base class.

As for the other seals, they all let you class change. This is different from promotion. Class changing is a sideways move: base -> base or advanced -> advanced. You retain your level and you will catch up on the skills you missed in the new class over time. There are three class change seals, and they all just adjust which class you can change over to.

How do these relate to the Job or whatever that you picked at the start of the game? I picked the Oni Leader or whatever. Is that what I will promote to if I use a master seal at level 20? If not why did I get to choose that?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
How do these relate to the Job or whatever that you picked at the start of the game? I picked the Oni Leader or whatever. Is that what I will promote to if I use a master seal at level 20? If not why did I get to choose that?
Every character has a secondary base class they are predisposed to class changing into. Your talent that you pick at the start dictates which base class this will be for your avatar.

If you use a Heart Seal you can change sideways to the class you chose at character creation.

Birthright Chapter 12

So getting the avatar over to the escape with Subaki/Hinoka is the easiest way to beat this chapter. A shame it's the least fulfilling.

And I have half expected Zola to become a playable character after chapter 11 but nope, betrays us and then dies for nothing. I'd imagine he would have made for a decent unit at least. Oh well.

NeonZ

I just beat Robin's team, which seemed oddly powerful for the party of a level 15 character. I ended up going with a very offensive and RNG reliant strategy that I'd never use in a standard stage, but due to how short the battle was I was willing to reroll until I was lucky with the RNG. I was planning to use him, but now I'm wondering how to fit him in my team...

Invasions are basically optional battles that give XP using your castle as the battleground. I think 3 invasions appear during the campaign. And, yes, you can easily ignore them, although I don't see why you'd do that in a Conquest playthrough, considering how valuable XP is.

Kinsei

Banned
Birthright Chapter 12

So getting the avatar over to the escape with Subaki/Hinoka is the easiest way to beat this chapter. A shame it's the least fulfilling.

And I have half expected Zola to become a playable character after chapter 11 but nope, betrays us and then dies for nothing. I'd imagine he would have made for a decent unit at least. Oh well.

I thought Zola would become a unit too. I hope he's one during Conquest.

Every character has a secondary base class they are predisposed to class changing into. Your talent that you pick at the start dictates which base class this will be for your avatar.

Characters who can only support with the Avatar get a 3rd class too (to make up for not being able to Partner / Buddy seal).

Children have complicated rules which gives them their base class (the one you recruit them in), their fixed parents base or secondary class (if their base class matches their father*), and then their variable parents primary class (unless they already have it , in which case they get the secondary, unless they have that too in which case they get an analogous class (usually swapping Hoshido for Nohr or vice versa ).

*If their fixed parent has a special class (that can't be inherited) then they have a hidden 3rd class to give their child (Azura has this problem)

Gruco

Banned
Random hot takes, as of Conquest 16.

Game is much better balanced than Awakening. Spitting dual attacks, stat boosts, and pair guards really goes a long way in restoring the focus on tactics, rather than cranking out broken builds. The fact that enemies don't have same turn reinforcements also helps here.

Maps are incredible. Probably the best in the series from what I've seen so far. Some of the most challenging and interesting stuff I've seen. Dragon veins are awesome.

I miss Canto, though I understand why it would be seen as broken with pair attacks.

I also miss the ubiquity of shove and rescue, but it's nice they are still there in some regard. Lunge is pretty awesome too. Shove, Canto, and Rescue could lead to some insane tactics in the Tellius games, and that has been replaced by pairing formations, which is still cool. I think my ideal for the next game would be to return Canto, make shove and rescue a little more common, and slightly diminish the prevalence of pairing, so that all of the FE tactics can be used without any one of them being too broken.

There are too many supports still. I hate all of the support convos and unlimited supports is kinda dumb. Just go back to allowing 5 max and being limited on who pairs with who, it leads to better conversations and more thoughtful combat.

The plot is so stupid oh my god. Path of Radiance still best plot forever.

I like that they kept the Rally skills from Awakening, those were cool

Reclassing is better by still level-capping, but it's honestly a pretty stupid way to develop skill trees. There are so many better ways to allow character custom builds. Just give people choices between levels, have more skills that show up in finite numbers, use point trees like Dragon Quest 8.

Overall I am very pleased with this game. Huge step forward after Awakening, and I am impressed they could simultaneously appeal to the expanded and original audience. After I finish Conquest on hard I will probably work through Birthright and Revelation in Lunatic. Seems reasonable enough.

ciD_Vain

Is that generally a good idea? Or will my hero be crappy if I do that?
Really depends on what class you chose and what boon/bane as well. I chose Cavalier for the skills that class can learn but I'll probably switch back.
So the Prison...
Any real point for it? I can't see the benefit of using Generic units, especially in Conquest where EXP is valuable.
I believe there are some special units you can recruit that aren't generic.

Luigi87

So the Prison...
Any real point for it? I can't see the benefit of using Generic units, especially in Conquest where EXP is valuable.

The fact that there are three campaigns means that I'm much less anal on who gets paired with whom for Birthright and Conquest. I'll only really focus on the pairings when I get to Revelations.

This, really. In awakening I was deep into the eugenics games, but here I can actually let myself go with the flow and pair the characters I like together.

Honestly birthright's been a bit of a cakewalk so far, or I've just become more used to how the game flows. Definitely an easier time than awakening even though I'm doing a standard hard/Classic playthrough. The only difficulty I face is getting too relaxed and thinking my units are unstoppable (mostly) until I send someone to their death solo against 5 enemies. Have not really had to abuse support pairs either, which is a pretty big change from awakening (though I expect conquest to be a bit of a game changer in this regard). Story's as light as awakening; again, the supports take centre stage as opposed to the ongoing war plot.

Top Bottom