• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is that generally a good idea? Or will my hero be crappy if I do that?

Depends on you. You're not locked into this decision by the way. You can reclass whenever you want with a Heart seal. You can either promote from you Base class of a Nohr Prince to a Hoshido Noble/Nohr Noble depending on which game you have with a Master Seal. And after that if you want you can Heart seal over to the Oni-Savage's promotes which are Blacksmith or Oni-Chieftain.

So if you find the current class you are in doesn't fit you can just use a Heart Seal again and go back to your original Promotion or try the other one. Once you throw Partner and Friendship seals into the mix you can start to access a wide range of other Promoted classes that your other units have access to.

ryseing

So the Prison...
Any real point for it? I can't see the benefit of using Generic units, especially in Conquest where EXP is valuable.

You can capture bosses. There's a list of ones that can be captured on Serenes Forest. Most of them are from the paralogues.

The fact that there are three campaigns means that I'm much less anal on who gets paired with whom for Birthright and Conquest. I'll only really focus on the pairings when I get to Revelations.

I read somewhere that Revelations is best for the min-max PVP stuff. Is this correct?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Is that generally a good idea? Or will my hero be crappy if I do that?
Depends on a lot of factors. How their new class plays with their existing stats (did you get lots of magic and not enough str to be an axe wielder?), what skills they go well with, etc.

If you're playing on normal or hard, I say just go ahead, have fun, and experiment. As long as you promote at 20 and don't class change from advanced -> base, do what you want!

ryseing

Ahh, alrighty.

If you want to dive into that stuff make sure that the unit with Capture is leveled decently. I'm playing Birthright and made the mistake of not really focusing on Orochi. Went and grinded a bit and now I have two boss units in my army.

Kinsei

Banned
Ugh, they really need to remove marriage and children from the next game. At the rate this is going I'll only get to do three paralogues before I beat Birthright (Mozu, Kana, and whoever Saizo's kid is) unless I do a bunch of boring challenge grinding. I'd even take the Shadow Dragon system of forcing you to kill off your units to get the sidequests over the child system of Fates and Awakening.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
If you want to dive into that stuff make sure that the unit with Capture is leveled decently. I'm playing Birthright and made the mistake of not really focusing on Orochi. Went and grinded a bit and now I have two boss units in my army.
I hear Orochi isn't good (and damn, mine is starting to turn that way), but screw it all I want to capture some bosses.

Draxal

Ugh, they really need to remove marriage and children from the next game. At the rate this is going I'll only get to do three paralogues before I beat Birthright (Mozu, Kana, and whoever Saizo's kid is) unless I do a bunch of boring challenge grinding. I'd even take the Shadow Dragon system of forcing you to kill off your units to get the sidequests over the child system of Fates and Awakening.

I don't mind the marriage system, but the children system is twice as annoying in Revelations.

I honestly think FE6 had the best paralogue/gaiden unlocking.

Luigi87

That's what I'm really afraid about for Conquest, where one can't even grind to raise supports.

Girls don't get kids by the way; it's all the guys this time.

Ohnonono

Really depends on what class you chose and what boon/bane as well. I chose Cavalier for the skills that class can learn but I'll probably switch back.

I believe there are some special units you can recruit that aren't generic.

I chose the strength boon an have been getting strength up at pretty much every level. That was in line with the Oni class. So if I am going to swap him over before he hits level 20 I will gain the extra skills then at 20 I can master off of the Oni Class? Also will this make him no able to use his swanky sword and turn into a dragon? All of this stuff makes pretty good sense for most characters but the main character seems pretty specialized. I would love him to be a brute, but I don't want to muck him up in the process.

Sora_N

Ok any tips in general? I'm stuck on Chapter 5 hard.

I can't seem to figure out how to make sure no one dies.

I target the Mage first but it doesn't seem to work. Damn enemies do so much damage and they had to put one Wyrmslayer too.

Luigi87

I chose the strength boon an have been getting strength up at pretty much every level. That was in line with the Oni class. So if I am going to swap him over before he hits level 20 I will gain the extra skills then at 20 I can master off of the Oni Class? Also will this make him no able to use his swanky sword and turn into a dragon? All of this stuff makes pretty good sense for most characters but the main character seems pretty specialized. I would love him to be a brute, but I don't want to muck him up in the process.
Yeah, that's the thing about reclassing Corrin. Do it into a class that can't use Swords for example and suddenly you can't use Yato (and of course can't turn into a dragon. All you'll have is the Dragon Fang skill)

Ok any tips in general? I'm stuck on Chapter 5 hard.

I can't seem to figure out how to make sure no one dies.

I target the Mage first but it doesn't seem to work. Damn enemies do so much damage and they had to put one Wyrmslayer too.

Go left first and clear those advancing enemies before clearing the right. Corrin should essentially be killing every unit on the map. Kill the mages first. Use Kage/Rinka as a means to block the Wyrmslayer users from getting to Corrin.
And Sing Sing Sing! Azura's Sing is vital.
After all the advancing enemies are defeated heal up and then begin advancing down the right side of the map, trying to pull the enemies slowly (the mages and Wyrmslayers will all come, but you should be able to kill the mages with Corrin + sing, and block the Wyrmslayers)

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
He would lose the ability to use swords and gain the ability to use whatever Oni Savage and its advanced classes can use. Idk if they make an exception for the main character's dragonstone.

If you want to min-max skills, it's best to wait until you advance normally, then hit lv 15 to learn your last advanced skill. Then, change sideways to an advanced Oni class. You will backlearn missed Oni skills, one per level. So in 4 level-ups, by lv 19 advanced, you will have caught up and learned both base Oni skills and both advanced Oni skills.

You can capture bosses. There's a list of ones that can be captured on Serenes Forest. Most of them are from the paralogues.

I read somewhere that Revelations is best for the min-max PVP stuff. Is this correct?

You get by far the largest cast of characters , the ability to grind and access to all the shops from each side (Female Corrin also gets access to every class via Buddy Seals, M!Corrin can't get Merchant or Oni Savage, so you're kinda boned there*). So unless there's some incredibly broken builds for the 4* characters +3 Capturable Bosses that aren't available in Revelations , you're miles ahead.

(or 3 if they fixed Gunther's broken supports)

*Can't marry Rinkah without losing a child , and there's no way for a male!Corrin to get access to Merchant , and you can only pick one as your talent.

Ah, my bad, something about the way you phrased it made me think you didn't.

The system is here to stay regardless; maybe not so much the kids, but marriage and pair support is too popular and central to the series' renewed success to not be included in most (if not all) the mainline games from now.

Ohnonono

He would lose the ability to use swords and gain the ability to use whatever Oni Savage and its advanced classes can use. Idk if they make an exception for the main character's dragonstone.

If you want to min-max skills, it's best to wait until you advance normally, then hit lv 15 to learn your last advanced skill. Then, change sideways to an advanced Oni class. You will backlearn missed Oni skills, one per level. So in 4 level-ups, by lv 19 advanced, you will have caught up and learned both base Oni skills and both advanced Oni skills.

Cool, thank you.

NeonZ

So the Prison...
Any real point for it? I can't see the benefit of using Generic units, especially in Conquest where EXP is valuable.

It was already answered above, but here's an example - Haitaka, the boss of Conquest 9 as a party member.

Haitaka_03_zpsqxhrqpfe.jpg

It's only worthy it if you're playing on hard or lunatic though, since they start with skills outside of their class lines (Like Haitaka above with Rally Defense a long time before you could get it with anyone else), aside from higher stats.

Once in a while there are some random generics with higher stats and out of class line skills too, although even so they'd be only be useful to fill some hole that's lacking in your party, rather than being able to surpass a trained main cast member.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't even know where to start when it comes to Castle Battles, is there a decent guide explaining the online aspects? Stuff like that always confuses me in modern Nintendo games as I have trouble understanding what's local WiFi, and what's global WiFi.

ryseing

I hear Orochi isn't good (and damn, mine is starting to turn that way), but screw it all I want to capture some bosses.

Mine's turned out OK. I just prefer a physical based army.

The way the Capture mechanic works is Orochi has to "kill" the enemy, so it's best to weaken the boss with some throwing weapons so its stats go down and she has an easier time landing the hit.

You get by far the largest cast of characters , the ability to grind and access to all the shops from each side (Female Corrin also gets access to every class via Buddy Seals, M!Corrin can't get Merchant or Oni Savage, so you're kinda boned there*). So unless there's some incredibly broken builds for the 4* characters +3 Capturable Bosses that aren't available in Revelations , you're miles ahead.

*Can't marry Rinkah without losing a child , and there's no way for a male!Corrin to get access to Merchant , and you can only pick one as your talent.

Thanks. Going to save my grinding and time on min/maxing for my Revelations playthrough then.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Cool, thank you.
Actually, after putting in some thought, I think I was wrong.

If you really want to min-max, this would be the way:

Learn 2nd base skill by base lv 10.
Change sideways to Oni.
Learn Oni 1st and 2nd base skill by base lv 12.
Keep changing sideways to as many different classes as you can, learning 2 new skills per 2 levels, up to base lv 20.
Promote to advanced class. Learn 1st skill at advanced lv 5.
Change sideways as many times as you can, learning 1 new skill at per level, up to 15.
Learn second advanced skill at lv 15.
Change sideways again, learning new advanced skills, up to 20.

Clearly that path is costly gold-wise and a bit of a headache. You most likely won't care about half the skills you accrue this way. I hear you can buy skills later on anyway.

Just didn't want to unintentionally mislead you.

Edit: There's an even more min-maxy way for the base class part, but screw it. It's unrealistic.

The way the Capture mechanic works is Orochi has to "kill" the enemy, so it's best to weaken the boss with some throwing weapons so its stats go down and she has an easier time landing the hit.
Yep, I know. I actually messed it up the first time I tried since I missed the capture command. I think it only appears when you have a chance to kill so I wasn't even looking for a new command.

What happens when the prison is full? Do you get the option to release them mid-battle to make room for a new capture, or will the captures always fail?

Mine's turned out OK. I just prefer a physical based army.

Thanks. Going to save my grinding and time on min/maxing for my Revelations playthrough then.
What chapter are you on? Because as a word of warning, birthright has a chapter where you really want magic users

So I think I've got a grasp on how Corrin is notActuallyBloodSiblings with royalty of 3 different nations. And dear god is it ridiculous.

Spoiler blocks because there's a lot of plot.

The Nohrian siblings only share Garon as a parent (each has a different mother).

The Hoshidan siblings are the children of Hoshido's (deceased) King and his previous wife (Mikoto is their stepmother).

Azula isn't actually Garon's child but the daughter of Mikoto's sister (who was one of Garon's wives) and the former king of Valla (who was her previous husband).

Corrin is actually the child of Mikoto and the dragon Anankos (or rather a man who was his cast off heart)

I am a little confused as to how Corrin has a better claim on the throne of Valla than Azura though, she's a descendant of the rightful king, whereas Corrin is a descendant of an usurper. Unless Valla does you kill it you bought it style inheritance.

Xenoflare

So I think I've got a grasp on how Corrin is notActuallyBloodSiblings with royalty of 3 different nations. And dear god is it ridiculous.

The Nohrian siblings only share Garon as a parent (each has a different mother).

The Hoshidan siblings are the children of Hoshido's (deceased) King and his previous wife (Mikoto is their stepmother).

Azula isn't actually Garon's child but the daughter of Mikoto's sister (who was one of Garon's wives) and the former king of Valla (who was her previous husband).

Corrin is actually the child of Mikoto and the dragon Anankos (or rather a man who was his cast off heart)

I am a little confused as to how Corrin has a better claim on the throne of Valla than Azura though, she's a descendant of the rightful king, whereas Corrin is a descendant of an usurper. Unless Valla does you kill it you bought it style inheritance.

Both nations has
either the blood or blessings of Anankos.

L95

From my understanding,
Anankos petty much founded Valla, to put it shortly.

Weebos

Banned
Loving Conquest right now. I jumped in on Hard Classic and it hasn't been too bad.

I stalled a bit on Chapter 12, but I made it past that eventually. I'm on chapter 16 now.

I really want to use Keaton because I love his animations, but he feels a little weak right now.

Niles is a fucking god, probably the best archer I've ever used in the entire series. I also never use archers though, so hey, maybe they're all godly.

Sifl

Anyone got recommendations for a pairing with Orochi? I was looking at the wiki and she gives - speed to almost every kid...

Loving Conquest right now. I jumped in on Hard Classic and it hasn't been too bad.

I stalled a bit on Chapter 12, but I made it past that eventually. I'm on chapter 16 now.

I really want to use Keaton because I love his animations, but he feels a little weak right now.

Niles is a fucking god, probably the best archer I've ever used in the entire series. I also never use archers though, so hey, maybe they're all godly.

Keaton is great tank and has decent speed. The only drawback is his lack of 2 ranged weapon.

Archers in this game are amazing. Niles is great but the archers from Hoshido are great too, especially Takumi.

Weebos

Banned
Keaton is great tank and has decent speed. The only drawback is his lack of 2 ranged weapon.

Archers in this game are amazing. Niles is great but the archers from Hoshido are great too, especially Takumi.

Good to hear, I figured they would push Takumi, given his fancy weapon and all.

I'll have to keep babying Keaton a bit, it probably doesn't help that I'm pairing him with Elise.

how does that work?

Anyone got recommendations for a pairing with Orochi? I was looking at the wiki and she gives - speed to almost every kid...

WAT. I knew characters passed on stat modifiers but I only thought they would be positives. I used Orochi as the mother to the Diviner Child you can get because I thought she would pass on her high magic. The only reason I wanted to get a new Diviner is because Orochi is so slow haha. Oh well, not taking this playthrough seriously when it comes to optimal pairings anyways!

Toss me in with the group of people who wish Paralogues were handled differently. Yeah they're fun, and I like the children characters more this time around anyways mainly due to Offspring Seals, but the Paralogues are so slow to unlock. I'd much rather have FE6 / 7 styled Side Quests.

Any tips for chapter 9 of Conquest on hard? I can't quite seem to do it with everyone surviving. Finished it on normal with no problem but this is the first chapter on hard that's giving me any trouble.... 10 I'm sure is going to kill me...

Sifl

WAT. I knew characters passed on stat modifiers but I only thought they would be positives. I used Orochi as the mother to the Diviner Child you can get because I thought she would pass on her high magic. The only reason I wanted to get a new Diviner is because Orochi is so slow haha. Oh well, not taking this playthrough seriously when it comes to optimal pairings anyways!

Toss me in with the group of people who wish Paralogues were handled differently. Yeah they're fun, and I like the children characters more this time around anyways mainly due to Offspring Seals, but the Paralogues are so slow to unlock. I'd much rather have FE6 / 7 styled Side Quests.
Actually his kid gets +1 speed from her lol, but yea. Everyone who I was intending on pairing her with gets like -1 to -4 speed from her, I'm trying to mix the jobs a little bit to give the kids more options.

So I want to try testing out the online battling, and was wondering if there was anyone around chapter 22ish (Where I am) who would like to try it with me. I'd like my opponent to be at around the same point for the sake of not having either side be way more powerful level wise

laoni

how does that work?

Basically, if you marry one of the first gen girls who can marry the child-bearing men (asides from Azura, I think), then there's not enough girls to go around for the rest of the men, meaning one guy misses out on a wife, and you miss out on a child.

M!Corrin has this issue on every path

Weebos

Banned
how does that work?

Kids are tied to the father, and fathers can only marry a certain number of mothers.

For example, if there are 10 fathers and 10 mothers, then if the avatar takes one of the mothers, the remaining father can't have a child.

I haven't personally done the math for this game in particular, but I believe it was true in Awakening (for female avatars) as well.

how does that work?

In Fates the children come from the father (with the exception of F!Avatar and Azula). Unfortunately on all routes there are exactly as many females as there are males with children before counting the Avatar, so if the Avatar marries a female who has S supports other than himself there'll be one father without a partner and hence one missing kid and Rinkah has other S supports. F!Corrin doesn't have this problem since you get 2 children in this case (in Awakening this wasn't an issue since children came from the Mother and there were more males than females with children, and Male!Tactician would just get both and there were extra males, so female Avatar didn't cause problems either).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
WVW69i7I9PIFmrk-U8

First death Conquest/Classic/Hard on Chapter 8.

He died taking a hit from the boss, who choose to kill him instead of my MC. So I say that's a pretty death, worthwhile life to give saving me from having to restart a chapter.

He seemed like a huge asshole anyway, don't care that he's dead.

Top Bottom