• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Voror

With the Avatar, is it best to level up the base class first to get the skills and the perhaps transition to your chosen class or promote first?

I'm not sure how prevalent seals are in this game. I imagine you purchase them in Birthright and Revelation, but are far more limited in Conquest? Or can you get more via DLC?

Still working out what to do for my first run on Birthright. I think I'm going to pick Samurai or Ninja, have the boon be Strength, and can't figure whether Luck or Defense would be more advisable for the bane. I think I read if you go luck the you need to use an Icon gotten in Chapter 4?

Basically, if you marry one of the first gen girls who can marry the child-bearing men (asides from Azura, I think), then there's not enough girls to go around for the rest of the men, meaning one guy misses out on a wife, and you miss out on a child.

M!Corrin has this issue on every path
so then it comes down to as male corrin marrying only one of the women who can't marry any of the women who can marry men who have kids. hrrrmmm, this makes things trickier, I was going to marry charlotte in my conquest playthrough

Weebos

Banned
so then it comes down to as male corrin marrying only one of the women who can't marry any of the women who can marry men who have kids. hrrrmmm, this makes things trickier, I was going to marry charlotte in my conquest playthrough

You can always just skip some kids, you will probably have to in Conquest anyway unless you're grinding My Castle battles.

A couple Hoshido-related questions:

Is there any reason to use Sakura over Azuma? I just got the latter on my team, and he seems better in every way (I don't like Sakura's character, also).

In general, are there any pairs that I should absolutely be focusing on?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question: I'm on Conquest and playing Hard/Classic.

It's okay so far, but I'm wondering what's the most challenging step down: Normal/Classic or Hard/Casual. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I don't know if I'm going to have the patience to do the whole rest of the game in Hard/Classic, it's fun so far - but I think I'm going to get burnt out. It takes me hours of replaying the same map before I can win.

You can always just skip some kids, you will probably have to in Conquest anyway unless you're grinding My Castle battles.
Ive been grinding my castle and before awakening...its not exactly great fun, but support conversations are a really enjoyable carrot.

This is why I did conquest first though, to get it over with as its limitations definitely make exploring these other systems frustrating

ryseing

Yeah, you aren't at that point yet, but you're close. The chapter in question really isn't impossible without magic, but it'll likely be way harder because of part of its gimmick

Figure it's worth asking again- tips on 17? I don't need to save any of the
villages
right?

M4sC3xb.jpg

'Bout damn time ;)

Question: I'm on Conquest and playing Hard/Classic.

It's okay so far, but I'm wondering what's the most challenging step down: Normal/Classic or Hard/Casual. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I don't know if I'm going to have the patience to do the whole rest of the game in Hard/Classic, it's fun so far - but I think I'm going to get burnt out. It takes me hours of replaying the same map before I can win.

if i remember correctly difficulty can be lowered but u cant change from casual to classic and vice versa

so if you are far your best bet is to either fight on or lower it to normal classic

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
if i remember correctly difficulty can be lowered but u cant change from casual to classic and vice versa

so if you are far your best bet is to either fight on or lower it to normal classic

Yeah if you started Classic you CAN switch to Casual, but not vice versa.

I'm curious how people on Hard/Casual are enjoying their experience so far, on Conquest that is.

Boney

Banned
These reinforcements in chapter 10 are a nightmare! Guess I should scale down th rushdown and forget about
Takumi

I'm curious how people on Hard/Casual are enjoying their experience so far, on Conquest that is.
You could still play Hard/Casual the same way as Classic and even bench units that die if you want and if you feel you got cheated out with a 1% crit or whatever you can just forget about it and keep going.

You might also do custom rules like felled units have to skip 1 or 2 maps to "recuperate" or something, so you're not just blindly tossing cannon fodder.

Figure it's worth asking again- tips on 17? I don't need to save any of the
villages
right?

I think one
village actually gives you something, or at least doesn't call enemies, but I accidentally skipped the text on that one lol. I went to them anyway for more xp. I didn't think the level was too bad though

With the Avatar, is it best to level up the base class first to get the skills and the perhaps transition to your chosen class or promote first?

I'm not sure how prevalent seals are in this game. I imagine you purchase them in Birthright and Revelation, but are far more limited in Conquest? Or can you get more via DLC?

Still working out what to do for my first run on Birthright. I think I'm going to pick Samurai or Ninja, have the boon be Strength, and can't figure whether Luck or Defense would be more advisable for the bane. I think I read if you go luck the you need to use an Icon gotten in Chapter 4?

Seals are buyable from your shop on Conquest too. The issue is that (without grinding DLC) money is finite on Conquest.

I recommend picking a talent from other version unless you really love a classes Stat Growth and want to get it ASAP, assuming you recruit everybody you get access to all classes of your version via Friend Seals (except for Oni Savage for a Birthright!M!Corrin) on both Nohr and Hoshido so go with the western classes on Birthright and the Eastern ones on Conquest (you may want to check what you can get from the shared characters too since there's a couple of classes that are friend sealable on all routes).

Nope. As a rule of thumb if a unit doesn't have a personal skill you probably can't recruit it.

Conquest 14:
I was surprised to see the Capture command show up for Kumagera, the Oni Chieftain boss. I was just about to kill him, too, but managed to squeak out a very technical all-or-nothing play with an 86% chance of success to grab him with Niles. This was the first boss or named character I was able to seize with Capture, though I don't know if I missed any earlier in the campaign. No idea if he has any supports or behaves like a generic unit, though, as I haven't persuaded him to join my party yet. He doesn't have any personal skills, so I suspect not.

Weebos

Banned
Conquest 14:
I was surprised to see the Capture command show up for Kumagera, the Oni Chieftain boss. I was just about to kill him, too, but managed to squeak out a very technical all-or-nothing play with an 86% chance of success to grab him with Niles. This was the first boss or named character I was able to seize with Capture, though I don't know if I missed any earlier in the campaign. No idea if he has any supports or behaves like a generic unit, though, as I haven't persuaded him to join my party yet. He doesn't have any personal skills, so I suspect not.

Mechanical spoilers:
No supports, there are a number of other bosses that can also be captured, there is a list on SF if you want to look, most are in paralogues. They pretty much just have a unique portrait and interesting skills.

Gaz_RB

Just got past Chapter 10 in Conquest. That chapter is so satisfying to get through with no casualties. Some epic shit.

I really had to prove I understood the pair up mechanic, and the crucial differences between Support and Attack pairs.
Azura also saved my ass, because being able to Ballista twice in one turn was excellent.

Just got past Chapter 10 in Conquest. That chapter is so satisfying to get through with no casualties. Some epic shit.

I really had to prove I understood the pair up mechanic, and the crucial differences between Support and Attack pairs.
Azura also saved my ass, because being able to Ballista twice in one turn was excellent.

I'm on that chapter right now. Those darn pegasus knights are giving me a tough time.
But yes, Azura + ballista is a true combo. It takes them down to 1 hP in one shot

Gaz_RB

I'm on that chapter right now. Those darn pegasus knights are giving me a tough time.
But yes, Azura + ballista is a true combo. It takes them down to 1 hP in one shot

I found that after like turn 8-9 I had to send Camilla to the left to solo all those axe dudes, then I abandoned the bottom ballista around turn 9 and moved everyone up to the hole near the top right ballista. Everyone funneled through there and Arthur (who has 32 HP at this point!) just help it down with a support unit paired with him. Barely survived. Camilla is a beast. Also having Mozu as an archer was invaluable.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm seriously thinking of reclassing Corrin into a malig knight since I don;t have any club or magic users on my team at the moment. How long would it take to get my weapon levels up so I could use decent weapons?

Draxal

I'm seriously thinking of reclassing Corrin into a malig knight since I don;t have any club or magic users on my team at the moment. How long would it take to get my weapon levels up so I could use decent weapons?

Did you get any arms scrolls?

Has IS done away with the double RNG for hit rate? I've been noticing waayyy more 80% and 90% misses than in any other localized FE game. It almost seems like a single RNG, or I've been astronomically unlucky.

How far do I have to progress in File A before I can use that avatar in File B?

Has IS done away with the double RNG for hit rate? I've been noticing waayyy more 80% and 90% misses than in any other localized FE game. It almost seems like a single RNG, or I've been astronomically unlucky.
I had to stop for the night when I had a team up pair miss killing a enemy unit when one missed twice with a 89% chance and the partner missed with a 98% chance and said enemy unit teamed up with another unit and killed my avatar.

WVW69i7I9PIFmrk-U8

First death Conquest/Classic/Hard on Chapter 8.

He died taking a hit from the boss, who choose to kill him instead of my MC. So I say that's a pretty death, worthwhile life to give saving me from having to restart a chapter.

He seemed like a huge asshole anyway, don't care that he's dead.
What do you mean he seems like a huge asshole?

His whole schtick is that he's always helping people.

ryseing

I think one
village actually gives you something, or at least doesn't call enemies, but I accidentally skipped the text on that one lol. I went to them anyway for more xp. I didn't think the level was too bad though

Thanks. Yeah, the enemies haven't been too bad. I had to reset because I missed the Dragon Vein though.

Moonlight

Banned

Chapter 10 on Hard is probably the best chapter I've played in an FE game in a long time, and probably the best designed a defense mission has been in the series. And holy shit, when
they activate the Dragon Vein and all that safe water just disappears
. Took a looong time to refine my strategy, but man, it's so exhilarating getting out on the skin of your teeth. Ended with all my positions collapsing for a final stand at the gate removing the biggest threats with my toughest soldiers trying to keep all my softest targets healthy out out of range where possible. Effie is legit my team carry.

Found the ballistae a lot more useful for softening up the archer waves coming in from the right more than anything, though. The huge bonus that the ballistae receives against the Pegasus Knights is good and all, but Camilla's more than sufficient for swatting down any that get too close to the objective.

It's kind of a shame that my level-ups for that run were kinda sub-par, but I'll take good luck in battles over good luck in level-ups as a general rule of thumb. Selena dodged like a champ that run.

Hard

Banned
WVW69i7I9PIFmrk-U8

First death Conquest/Classic/Hard on Chapter 8.

He died taking a hit from the boss, who choose to kill him instead of my MC. So I say that's a pretty death, worthwhile life to give saving me from having to restart a chapter.

He seemed like a huge asshole anyway, don't care that he's dead.

restart dammit.

I'm having a great time with it, but it is MUCH more brutal than I was expecting, coming off of Awakening on the same difficulty. It's essentially felt more like something like Dark Souls to me, brutal, but fair (for the most part, until the RNG becomes possessed), it's incredibly satisfying to finish a really tough stage though.

dream

Really dumb question about path bonuses...

If I'm going through Birthright right now, but buy Conquest as well, I get two dread scrolls. Is that two dread scrolls per game? Or two across both versions?

Weebos

Banned
It's kind of a shame that my level-ups for that run were kinda sub-par, but I'll take good luck in battles over good luck in level-ups as a general rule of thumb. Selena dodged like a champ that run.

Aren't the growths in these games lowered compared to most? I could swear that they are, at least HP.

Sora_N

Yeah, that's the thing about reclassing Corrin. Do it into a class that can't use Swords for example and suddenly you can't use Yato (and of course can't turn into a dragon. All you'll have is the Dragon Fang skill)

Go left first and clear those advancing enemies before clearing the right. Corrin should essentially be killing every unit on the map. Kill the mages first. Use Kage/Rinka as a means to block the Wyrmslayer users from getting to Corrin.
And Sing Sing Sing! Azura's Sing is vital.
After all the advancing enemies are defeated heal up and then begin advancing down the right side of the map, trying to pull the enemies slowly (the mages and Wyrmslayers will all come, but you should be able to kill the mages with Corrin + sing, and block the Wyrmslayers)

Left eh. It's always the way I don't go lol.

I was trying to block people from killing Azura and Sakura

I'll try your strategy at lunch. Thanks!

Voror

Seals are buyable from your shop on Conquest too. The issue is that (without grinding DLC) money is finite on Conquest.

I recommend picking a talent from other version unless you really love a classes Stat Growth and want to get it ASAP, assuming you recruit everybody you get access to all classes of your version via Friend Seals (except for Oni Savage for a Birthright!M!Corrin) on both Nohr and Hoshido so go with the western classes on Birthright and the Eastern ones on Conquest (you may want to check what you can get from the shared characters too since there's a couple of classes that are friend sealable on all routes).

Oh that's good to hear. I do plan on using the DLC,though I heard it isn't quite as easy to abuse as before due to some of it scaling with your level or something?

That was something I was considering but someone said that the classes on the Nohr side aren't quite as good to have necessarily. I know I want to have Samurai for Conquest as Ninja can be gotten via a Friend seal or so I'm told.

For Revelation I plan to have the Avatar marry Azura and have read that Spear Fighter or whatever it's called is a good pick as it grants it to her via the marriage seal as well as being alright on its own

I only plan to hardcore min/max on Reflections but still want to make at least the Avatar very powerful.

Ok, maybe I missed something, but what are the reasons for returning to Nohr? The series of events seem to really tilt you towards Hoshido, and the game doesn't even paint Nohr that well while you are there imo.

Top Bottom