• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

NeonZ

Ok, maybe I missed something, but what are the reasons for returning to Nohr? The series of events seem to really tilt you towards Hoshido, and the game doesn't even paint Nohr that well while you are there imo.

Corin basically says that he can't abandon the only family that he knows. He also makes a vague promise to do something to end the war and discover the truth behind his mother's death, but those are pretty secondary.

Really dumb question about path bonuses...

If I'm going through Birthright right now, but buy Conquest as well, I get two dread scrolls. Is that two dread scrolls per game? Or two across both versions?

Two per save file. In any new game you can redeem those bonus once you get the Castle.

Conquest people. Should I stick with Benny who's a beast or use his child? I'm hoping the son is close to Benny in unbreakable wall status

Posting on new page.
Ok, maybe I missed something, but what are the reasons for returning to Nohr? The series of events seem to really tilt you towards Hoshido, and the game doesn't even paint Nohr that well while you are there imo.
- not betray the family who raised you, loved you and you grew up with at no fault of them (aka foster family vs biological family)

- the idea that youre in a position of power in the opposing Kingdom and the hopes of changing things from the inside to end the war

Mr. Jimmy

I've been playing Conquest on Lunatic/Classic and holy shit it's been kicking my ass but it is incredibly satisfying when I finally clear the mission. Currently I'm in the Chapter 8, I also did the Paralogue 1, haven't play that much but I haven't' figured it out yet :/

Dad

Corrin's starting to become deadweight on the team at level 17. Would it be better to reclass him or just stick it out?

watershed

Banned
So I'm playing Birthright up to chapter 12 right now. Is it normal that this story is completely underwhelming me so far? Does it get better at some point?

I've been playing Conquest on Lunatic/Classic and holy shit it's been kicking my ass but it is incredibly satisfying when I finally clear the mission. Currently I'm in the Chapter 8, I also did the Paralogue 1, haven't play that much but I haven't' figured it out yet :/
If that's the one for your child, then shit that was the hardest for me by far out of all of them because of the near endless waves of enemies

So I'm playing Birthright up to chapter 12 right now. Is it normal that this story is completely underwhelming me so far? Does it get better at some point?
its a fire emblem game, I wouldnt consider any of them good.

Conquest story has been absolutely the worst fire emblem story ever so far though (Im on chapter 20)

Moonlight

Banned
Aren't the growths in these games lowered compared to most? I could swear that they are, at least HP.
I wouldn't say that they're overall lower, there's quite a few units with very consistent and good growths. But a lot of the time soft-resetting in Classic means trading in a huge run of good luck in terms of stat-ups per level that you're probably never going to get quite as good again. Had a run where Effie got two 4+ stat-ups and I had to abandon because I accidentally ended turn before I could hide Odin behind Selena. :(

Corrin's starting to become deadweight on the team at level 17. Would it be better to reclass him or just stick it out?
Are you super unlucky or something? My Corrin's amazing. What version are you playing (Corrin's has a different promote in each) and what stats were your boon and minus?

What level are you playing at? I'd suggest promoting at level 20 and reclassing to ninja if possible, get killing edge and see him do a crit like 4/6 times.

Edit:I say so because mine is pretty OP.

Gaz_RB

Chapter 10 on Hard is probably the best chapter I've played in an FE game in a long time, and probably the best designed a defense mission has been in the series. And holy shit, when
they activate the Dragon Vein and all that safe water just disappears
. Took a looong time to refine my strategy, but man, it's so exhilarating getting out on the skin of your teeth. Ended with all my positions collapsing for a final stand at the gate removing the biggest threats with my toughest soldiers trying to keep all my softest targets healthy out out of range where possible. Effie is legit my team carry.

Found the ballistae a lot more useful for softening up the archer waves coming in from the right more than anything, though. The huge bonus that the ballistae receives against the Pegasus Knights is good and all, but Camilla's more than sufficient for swatting down any that get too close to the objective.

It's kind of a shame that my level-ups for that run were kinda sub-par, but I'll take good luck in battles over good luck in level-ups as a general rule of thumb. Selena dodged like a champ that run.

I'd agree. Absolutely loved that mission. Except Arthur+handaxe was the real MVP. Effie was just on Archer killing duty.

Dad

Are you super unlucky or something? My Corrin's amazing. What version are you playing (Corrin's has a different promote in each) and what stats were your boon and minus?

Playing Birthright. I took +Speed/-Skill, but he's still slow as hell, even when he isn't in dragon form. He rarely doubles with swords, and even when he does it's for barely any damage. He's pretty mediocre in every regard at this point

Chapter 10 on Hard is probably the best chapter I've played in an FE game in a long time, and probably the best designed a defense mission has been in the series. And holy shit, when
they activate the Dragon Vein and all that safe water just disappears
. Took a looong time to refine my strategy, but man, it's so exhilarating getting out on the skin of your teeth. Ended with all my positions collapsing for a final stand at the gate removing the biggest threats with my toughest soldiers trying to keep all my softest targets healthy out out of range where possible. Effie is legit my team carry.

I have to agree: Conquest 10 stood out right away as an instant classic, the kind of map that a Fire Emblem game is remembered by. I think what makes the design so marvellous is that there are so many interesting decisions to consider, and you can't just pick a single strategy or position and turtle your way through every turn. Mages and archers constantly have to decide between non-lethal AOE and single-target kills; destructible walls give you the option of either letting the enemy clump at a certain position or pushing forward yourself; the villages and minibosses give you a reason to push out into the map and leave the capture point undefended. And the threats from every angle are so distinct from each other, whether it's fliers taking shortcuts over the water or archers making a run for the northeastern ballista. It's one of those maps where you are constantly splitting and merging groups within your army to get as much done as you can. I wound up using Azura mostly to keep Elise running around to heal multiple groups, though I think the design certainly favours using her to get additional attacks out of the orb/ballista.

I managed to play it just about as well as I could on Hard—didn't lose anyone, didn't soak too much EXP with Camilla, defeated all the minibosses, visited all the houses, and collapsed back into the exit to block it for the last turn or two. The only thing I missed was killing the boss himself, but there was no way I could get anywhere near his position in time. It was very close all around, though: at the end I had to pin down units with Freeze while letting my avatar stay below half health so Silas, who was blocking the exit, would get a few extra points of Def. Nyx held off the left side almost single-handedly while I managed to hold off the archers with a single pair, leaving the rest of my army the freedom to rove around the centre and clear out one front at a time. The biggest threat was from flying reinforcements beelining over the water on the east side too quickly for me to lure them to solid ground.

Ninja can't use swords until they promote though
Hence why you promote the main class to the noble, and then reclass to ninja whichever way you can and you'll have instant access to the promoted ninja class that can use swords

@dad: if you took - skill maybe ninja isn't the best option. I think one of the mounted classes should be good then.

Azuran

Banned
Chapter 14 is kicking my ass even with Based Ryoma on my side now. It's still too early to throw waves of promoted units at me. You get overwhelmed so easily if you don't take them out as soon as they're in your range which is easier said than done when all those generals and paladins are packing high HP and DEF.

Playing Birthright. I took +Speed/-Skill, but he's still slow as hell, even when he isn't in dragon form. He rarely doubles with swords, and even when he does it's for barely any damage. He's pretty mediocre in every regard at this point
How? I did plus str -luck and I double literally everything for a ton of damage. I also stopped using dragonstone, since I doubled so often that I do a ton more damage with the yato. Also, in a few more chapters you'll get an item that will help with Corrin's speed

I wouldn't say that they're overall lower, there's quite a few units with very consistent and good growths. But a lot of the time soft-resetting in Classic means trading in a huge run of good luck in terms of stat-ups per level that you're probably never going to get quite as good again. Had a run where Effie got two 4+ stat-ups and I had to abandon because I accidentally ended turn before I could hide Odin behind Selena. :(

They are lower compared to Awakening (but Awakening had really high growth rates and caps relatively to most of the series). Fates has largely kept the really high caps but dropped the growth rates (and made grinding much harder).

If you don't use items the only time you're likely to cap a stat is if you have a really high growth rate for a stat your class is bad or medium at in the course of normal play (eg a Skill focused Nohrian Corran will Skill cap in all Magic classes because it's the Hoshidan side that has the higher Skill cap magic classes).

That's actually a bit unusual since you could often cap even in older Fire Emblems but thats because the Caps were much much lower too.

I took +STR -MAG, I'm in conquest, and my Corrin is trucking everyone (two hits, 36 damage a pop to paladins)

its a fire emblem game, I wouldnt consider any of them good.

Conquest story has been absolutely the worst fire emblem story ever so far though (Im on chapter 20)
I really do think people have been a bit revisionist with FE's past stories. They were never masterpieces of storytelling for sure, but they often at least rode the line of "good" and "competent," rather than being absolute incoherent garbage like Awakening (and what Fates seems to reportedly be).

Can't wait to start later tonight to get my own taste of it.

Gaz_RB

How? I did plus str -luck and I double literally everything for a ton of damage. I also stopped using dragonstone, since I doubled so often that I do a ton more damage with the yato. Also, in a few more chapters you'll get an item that will help with Corrin's speed

Dat RNG level up ;/

Dad

I think the biggest problem is that mine's sitting at 13 strength when all of my other units are starting to push into the high teens/twenties. I might just go ahead and dump some stat boosts on him

Vitacat

You're not alone.

I haven't really played a FE since the GBA. IMO there is way too much reliance on magical stuff in the story. It's all a bit silly.

I really do think people have been a bit revisionist with FE's past stories. They were never masterpieces of storytelling for sure, but they often at least rode the line of "good" and "competent," rather than being absolute incoherent garbage like Awakening (and what Fates seems to reportedly be).

Can't wait to start later tonight to get my own taste of it.
no, outside of FE7 which was competent, they were definitely all garbage. Awakening is somehow one of the better ones...or maybe thats just awakening having some better characters

I think the biggest problem is that mine's sitting at 13 strength when all of my other units are starting to push into the high teens/twenties. I might just go ahead and dump some stat boosts on him
What level are you?
I might just be lucky, since my Corrin has had max str (38) since at least level 11 promoted (when I noticed it)

Draxal

Mine's such a glass cannon, has 7 res ... but 26 str at level 1 High Noble.

no, outside of FE7 which was competent, they were definitely all garbage. Awakening is somehow one of the better ones...or maybe thats just awakening having some better characters
I can't agree with that at all. If you want to call them all garbage, fine, I can accept that, but Awakening's was cream of the crop, top-tier trash through and through.

Azuran

Banned

Story is pretty meh and I stopped caring about it a while ago. Thankfully the actual gameplay is probably the best the series has ever seen and greatly makes up for it.

Mr. Jimmy

If that's the one for your child, then shit that was the hardest for me by far out of all of them because of the near endless waves of enemies

Paralogue 1 was the one with the Villager, it wasn't that hard but took me a few tries. Since I saw Felicia I knew I was going to marry Corrin to her and with My Castle I've already done it haha I went to see the Paralogue for Corrin's child and holy shit I backed away immediately. Do you have any advice for Chapter 8?
The one with the frozen lake, what I've been doing is going full left but I never reach the house before the enemy and then the enemies become too many for me to handle

Cindro

Is the only way to unlock support conversations by having two units attack next to each other during missions? I can't tell if pairing up is also increasing it or not. And how many moves does it take of two units working together before the next support conversation is unlocked?

Is the only way to unlock support conversations by having two units attack next to each other during missions? I can't tell if pairing up is also increasing it or not. And how many moves does it take of two units working together before the next support conversation is unlocked?
Pairing up works! No clue about the second part though.

Gestahl

I can't agree with that at all. If you want to call them all garbage, fine, I can accept that, but Awakening's was cream of the crop, top-tier trash through and through.

Yeah, the old stories are inoffensive at worst, I mean it's kind of hard to screw up evil king, dragon being a dick, be a hero, etc. It's straight up revisionist history, invented to cover Awakening's garbage dump fire of a plot, to suggest that these simple stories were somehow irredeemable anime trash, I agree. Path of Radiance was straight up good too, by any video game measure. You don't get that sort of world building in this series anymore and I'm not sure we ever will again with the current writers at the helm.

Top Bottom