• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Dominator

This is my first Fire Emblem game, I'm a complete noob. I got stuck with Conquest for my first playthrough and it's hard but I'm managing. I have a few questions though, notably how do I reclass people? I see people saying that in here and I just have no clue lol and how do I marry/have kids? I'm on Chapter 13 and haven't gotten anything like that yet.

EDIT: Yikes, top of the page lol

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This is my first Fire Emblem game, I'm a complete noob. I got stuck with Conquest for my first playthrough and it's hard but I'm managing. I have a few questions though, notably how do I reclass people? I see people saying that in here and I just have no clue lol and how do I marry/have kids? I'm on Chapter 13 and haven't gotten anything like that yet.

http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-classes/class-changing/

Basically when your units reach level 20 they max out their class. You can buy Master Seals in the Rod shop, though you've probably gotten a couple by now from enemies in the main chapters, that will promote them to one of two, in most cases, new classes starting at level 1 again, but with boosted stats and new weapon options. You can also then use Heart Seals to reclass them which will simply alter their class but retain the same level and basic stats and change your weapon options and stat growths.

Boney

Banned
Chapter 10 on Hard is probably the best chapter I've played in an FE game in a long time, and probably the best designed a defense mission has been in the series. And holy shit, when
they activate the Dragon Vein and all that safe water just disappears
. Took a looong time to refine my strategy, but man, it's so exhilarating getting out on the skin of your teeth. Ended with all my positions collapsing for a final stand at the gate removing the biggest threats with my toughest soldiers trying to keep all my softest targets healthy out out of range where possible. Effie is legit my team carry.

Found the ballistae a lot more useful for softening up the archer waves coming in from the right more than anything, though. The huge bonus that the ballistae receives against the Pegasus Knights is good and all, but Camilla's more than sufficient for swatting down any that get too close to the objective.

It's kind of a shame that my level-ups for that run were kinda sub-par, but I'll take good luck in battles over good luck in level-ups as a general rule of thumb. Selena dodged like a champ that run.
I made a very dumb mistake right at the end and it costed me my Draco knight servant's life when I could've either retreaded her, swap Camilla in or just position myself better. Although frankly I won because of the RNG gods favored me as my Corrin Azura team I had to send to the right to get to the last house managed to survive Pegasi knights and the Lance girl which was crazy strong and a few club guys, activated some lucky dragon fang and kept dodging like a maniac. Managed to get both of Takumi's servants but in the end wasn't able to keep everyone alive just because of a stupid mistake :(

But I definately agree, it's been ages when I've felt actually pressured in a defense map thanks to the strong enemy units, reinforcements, the ballistas, the sub bosses, the treasures and of course the you know what. Amazing map, and hard really feels like the perfect difficulty when it's never bullshit unfair like lunatic but you're still actually strategizing and panicking.

I'm thinking of just letting Draco lady die and move on, I saved another save file and I'll give it some though.

Honest, while Fates (Conquest) so far has been a top tier Fire Emblem experience it brought a lot of new stuff to the table between some very unique classes, weapon types and an overhauled weapon triangle and new skills really make it hard to digest even the basics on top of all the new my castle and other stuff.

I hope you're playing on normal l, if so I probably wouldn't stress myself out in order to efficiently marry and level up people, as the experience pool is gonna be limited and you're just gonna have to prioritize depending on how your strategies end up unfolding and how supports end up building.

And while some people recommend to reach level 20 before promotion in order to be most efficient with experience, don't be afraid to promote a little earlier if you're having trouble because most likely, you're not gonna reach max level on a single campaign, and the nice boosts from promoting can really help you out in a pinch.

Gestahl

There's an item in the shop you can buy called a something seal, it'll let you reclass anyone once. When you run out I think you can hop online to other castles and buy from their shops, and of course you can find them in the wild if you fulfill optional objectives or defeat enemies that carry them

Gaz_RB

Yeah I miss the more simple Lord/faction stuff with some magic dark fantasy stuff added in. Good ole Hector, Lynn, and Elwood. They sort of went crazy in awakening with the time travel stuff, but the characters were great.

As soon as a Pokémon brought me to the dragon dimension in this game, I pretty much gave up on the story.

Shun

Conquest people. Should I stick with Benny who's a beast or use his child? I'm hoping the son is close to Benny in unbreakable wall status

Unlike Elfie the Conquest Goddess, Benoit is a piece of shit with his stats and growths and how slow he is. Not worth it. His kid is aight I guess but so many better people to pick from.

Brakke

Banned
It is so crazy how they half-removed the face touching thing. You still invite girls into your bedroom at night and the only thing that happens is you can scroll the camera down a little bit to look at their tits. If you didn't know about all this skinship drama, what would you think the point of that bedroom thing is?

It is so crazy how they half-removed the face touching thing. You still invite girls into your bedroom at night and the only thing that happens is you can scroll the camera down a little bit to look at their tits. If you didn't know about all this skinship drama, what would you think the point of that bedroom thing is?
yea I had the same thought, I will say that I really like Live 2D, and am hating knowing that there is a few important pieces of dialog missing from there. The missing dialog is super annoying to me, but after having seen the portraits, I really just want more Live 2D

EDIT: And whats weirdest is when the hearts appear and are like "your bond has deepened" then the live 2d refreshes and the voiceover plays, then it ends and your bond deepens again. It all feels halfbaked, which is what I'm assuming players that don't know what happened will think

Moonlight

Banned
I have to agree: Conquest 10 stood out right away as an instant classic, the kind of map that a Fire Emblem game is remembered by. I think what makes the design so marvellous is that there are so many interesting decisions to consider, and you can't just pick a single strategy or position and turtle your way through every turn. Mages and archers constantly have to decide between non-lethal AOE and single-target kills; destructible walls give you the option of either letting the enemy clump at a certain position or pushing forward yourself; the villages and minibosses give you a reason to push out into the map and leave the capture point undefended. And the threats from every angle are so distinct from each other, whether it's fliers taking shortcuts over the water or archers making a run for the northeastern ballista. It's one of those maps where you are constantly splitting and merging groups within your army to get as much done as you can. I wound up using Azura mostly to keep Elise running around to heal multiple groups, though I think the design certainly favours using her to get additional attacks out of the orb/ballista.

I managed to play it just about as well as I could on Hard—didn't lose anyone, didn't soak too much EXP with Camilla, defeated all the minibosses, visited all the houses, and collapsed back into the exit to block it for the last turn or two. The only thing I missed was killing the boss himself, but there was no way I could get anywhere near his position in time. It was very close all around, though: at the end I had to pin down units with Freeze while letting my avatar stay below half health so Silas, who was blocking the exit, would get a few extra points of Def. Nyx held off the left side almost single-handedly while I managed to hold off the archers with a single pair, leaving the rest of my army the freedom to rove around the centre and clear out one front at a time. The biggest threat was from flying reinforcements beelining over the water on the east side too quickly for me to lure them to solid ground.
Hahah, well, you made me feel a bit inadequate about my run. :p

Didn't nab more than three houses and only managed to take out Oboro. My strategy mostly centered around picking off grouped up enemies behind the wall with Jakob and sealing the second entrance to the middle off with Effie (with Nyx providing artillery) and using Niles to cover the right-end of the map with Beruka and Selena to advance along the left. Worked out, but man, banked a whole lot on Selena dodging where it counted.

Yeah, the old stories are inoffensive at worst, I mean it's kind of hard to screw up evil king, dragon being a dick, be a hero, etc. It's straight up revisionist history, invented to cover Awakening's garbage dump fire of a plot, to suggest that these simple stories were somehow irredeemable anime trash, I agree. Path of Radiance was straight up good too, by any video game measure. You don't get that sort of world building in this series anymore and I'm not sure we ever will again with the current writers at the helm.

Awakening's not that bad. I mean its not an epic for the ages but its also not wildly incoherent or anything. Prince defends his kingdom from mad king. Prince fights off foreign invasion and then defeats invader. Prince deals with Dragon God Cultist and Dragon god being dicks. The only weird bit is the time travelling and its not like Gods messing around with the world is anything new to Awakening.

I'm also confused about people who are saying Awakenings whole bunch of supports made them shallow and generic. Fire Emblem Supports have never actually been masterpieces of character and emotion.

(Also if you want to compare Fire Emblem to anime , the plot comparison goes waaay back before Awakening. There's significant Western D&D / Tabletop War gaming influence in late 80s / early to mid 90s Japanese anime and video games. )

Lunar15

On supports: Supports have never been mindblowing, but what people didn't like about Awakening's is that they were a little wackier and always ended in immediate marriage, for obvious reasons. It wasn't terrible, but it was sometimes off putting. I personally didn't have too big of an issue.

So far, I feel like Fates has remedied that a little, with some more platonic supports and some of them being somewhat interesting.

In terms of anime, older fire emblem was almost literally Gundam. Now it's more like more current anime. Awakening was intentionally frivolous and non-political, acknowledged by the writers.

Draxal

On supports: Supports have never been mindblowing, but what people didn't like about Awakening's is that they were a little wackier and always ended in immediate marriage, for obvious reasons. It wasn't terrible, but it was sometimes off putting. I personally didn't have too big of an issue.

So far, I feel like Fates has remedied that a little, with some more platonic supports and some of them being somewhat interesting.

In terms of anime, older fire emblem was almost literally Gundam. Now it's more like more current anime. Awakening was intentionally frivolous and non-political, acknowledged by the writers.

I am Gundam. Honestly, I thought the A ranks were fine in Awakening, it was mostly the S ranks I found silly.

Gestahl

On supports: Supports have never been mindblowing, but what people didn't like about Awakening's is that they were a little wackier and always ended in immediate marriage, for obvious reasons. It wasn't terrible, but it was sometimes off putting.

In terms of anime, older fire emblem was almost literally Gundam. Now it's more like more current anime.

It's also annoying how on the nose alot of the character designs and personalities were. Ilyana has a dumb eating gimmick but you wouldn't know it from looking at her. So many of the characters from Awakening, particularly on the female side, feel like they were ripped out of the most generic dating sims imaginable

And shit like the Taguel just feels pointless and tacked on since there's zero world building to make last of a near extinct race meaningful or significant in any real way

Honestly Panne could have been completely bullshitting most of that story and it would've changed so little and been just as plausible

Fallen92

Man just reading through this thread it replay shows just how different each version is.

As a conquest player hearing all the various hoshido missions and characters being talked about makes me excited to play birthright once I'm done.

ChrisD

Yeah I miss the more simple Lord/faction stuff with some magic dark fantasy stuff added in. Good ole Hector, Lynn, and Elwood. They sort of went crazy in awakening with the time travel stuff, but the characters were great.

As soon as a Pokémon brought me to the dragon dimension in this game, I pretty much gave up on the story.

I still want to know the game's explanation on how every other character goes in and out of the Realm. Lilith must be working overtime all the time.

Yeah the S-rank supports in Awakening are balls because they have to write the Supports up to A rank, in a way that can be totally platonic (since either or both participants might already be married) so the S rank marriage proposals almost always come out of of nowhere. I suspect Fates will be just as bad in that regard.

Conquest Ch. 17 is boring.

I feel like a baby sitter.

Yeah the S-rank supports in Awakening are balls because they have to write the Supports up to A rank, in a way that can be totally platonic (since either or both participants might already be married) so the S rank marriage proposals almost always come out of of nowhere. I suspect Fates will be just as bad in that regard.

Yeah, Fates actually tries a little better at that, CorrinxFelicia and CorrinxElffie actually sound like their developing a connection rather then just friendship

Shun

Conquest Ch. 17 is boring.

I feel like a baby sitter.

It is because Saizo doesn't have to survive and you can beat most of the chapter by stalling.

The only bullshit is that when you fight the boss and the 3 enemies in that lair, your attacks miss like crazy and it is bullshit. Even with the weapon triangle, you hit like 40-50 percent. Sword users? 19 percent...

Yeah, the old stories are inoffensive at worst, I mean it's kind of hard to screw up evil king, dragon being a dick, be a hero, etc. It's straight up revisionist history, invented to cover Awakening's garbage dump fire of a plot, to suggest that these simple stories were somehow irredeemable anime trash, I agree. Path of Radiance was straight up good too, by any video game measure. You don't get that sort of world building in this series anymore and I'm not sure we ever will again with the current writers at the helm.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't really have experience with Fire Emblem stories, but I feel like there's a point in both Awakening and now Fates where there's just a disconnect with the world. I don't remember that being in Path of Radiance or even Sacred Stones as much.

Yeah, that's the thing about reclassing Corrin. Do it into a class that can't use Swords for example and suddenly you can't use Yato (and of course can't turn into a dragon. All you'll have is the Dragon Fang skill)

Question then for Corrin. So would it make sense to heart seal into the base class (ninja) of the promoted class (mechanist) that you want earlier (like at lvl 10) so that you can start leveling up your new required so that when you get won't be gimped?

It is because Saizo doesn't have to survive and you can beat most of the chapter by stalling.

The only bullshit is that when you fight the boss and the 3 enemies in that lair, your attacks miss like crazy and it is bullshit. Even with the weapon triangle, you hit like 40-50 percent. Sword users? 19 percent...

Wait he can die? I've been babysitting him like crazy thinking if he bites the dust, it's game over.

Actually I guess it was in case you didn't have someone to clear the traps.

Draxal

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't really have experience with Fire Emblem stories, but I feel like there's a point in both Awakening and now Fates where there's just a disconnect with the world. I don't remember that being in Path of Radiance or even Sacred Stones as much.

There was definitely a change of narrative for Awakening which could be linked to RD (where the design team got axed due to its poor sales); it went for a way simpler narrative (notice a lack of narrator at all for Fates ... and IIRC I don't think there was any narration at all in Awakening).

Conquest is now downloading! Can't wait to play.

Any tips I should know before diving in? I've played all the handheld FE released outside of Japan btw.

suzu

I still think it's disappointing that they worked in those fan-favorite Awakening characters instead of creating entirely new ones. I hope they don't repeat it for the next FE.

There was definitely a change of narrative for Awakening which could be linked to RD (where the design team got axed due to its poor sales); it went for a way simpler narrative (notice a lack of narrator at all for Fates ... and IIRC I don't think there was any narration at all in Awakening).
They need to bring back the narrator. Fates has way to much exposition.

That's super weird though. I would imagine that the budget for Fates would be huge after Awakening's success, right?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah if you started Classic you CAN switch to Casual, but not vice versa.

I'm curious how people on Hard/Casual are enjoying their experience so far, on Conquest that is.
This is what I'm doing and it's still fun / challenging. There are still plenty of fail states where I might have to reset on due to someone good dying way too early, but it softens the edge. Less wasted time too.

However, like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it can lead to super aggressive/reckless strategy since ultimately you know you'll get characters back.

Example: Ch. 10 went fine for me until like turn 10, where there were like 5 Pegasus bearing down on the "green zone". I wasn't failing that late into it, so I just built a meat shield around the zone, including squishy characters, to stave off the impending threat. A healer and a Mage died, but I passed in one go!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I've not used Dragon attack with Corrin once in the game outside Chapter 5. I can't recall a single encounter where it was the stronger and better % attack over Yato or one of the other swords he was carrying.

Shun

Wait he can die? I've been babysitting him like crazy thinking if he bites the dust, it's game over.

Actually I guess it was in case you didn't have someone to clear the traps.

He just retreats when he dies. Yeah it's just the traps.

The real issue with the chapter is that you can clear 99% of it, but RNG gods will fuck you over during the last 4 enemies.

I've not used Dragon attack with Corrin once in the game outside Chapter 5. I can't recall a single encounter where it was the stronger and better % attack over Yato or one of the other swords he was carrying.

Cause it does Magic damage and it is for tanking.

Dragon usually has much higher defense than Yato though.

Moonlight

Banned
The bonuses to defense and resistance are a big deal. Yeah, you can swing for more damage with Yato, but for the full impact you need to let the enemy hit back, too. Dragonstone is excellent for when you're caught in a bad spot or wanna set-up an enemy for another unit to kill without putting yourself in a bad position.

What did you do with your Boon / Bane ? Dragonstone is Magic , so if you've gone + Str or -Mag then it'll do badly (also Nohr Prince / Princess is more Strength than Magic focused).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
What did you do with your Boon / Bane ? Dragonstone is Magic , so if you've gone + Str or -Mag then it'll do badly (also Nohr Prince / Princess is more Strength than Magic focused).

Yeah I went Mag bane, Noble lvl 2 now with just 11 Mag, so that answers that question. Also went Boon Spd so my Corrin is pretty good dodger. Never had much need to use him as a Tank so the defense bonuses never really appealed to me.

I guess Dragonstone will be a go to for me when I go Conquest since I'll make FeCorrin a magic focused character.

Ponn

Banned
It was, they got a manga author to design the scenarios for this game. The lack of a narrator is a design choice.

I had my first baby! Congratulations Elise and Silas for having little Sophie. I'm not sure how much they change the characters to look like the parents but damn she looks canon to them two, looks just like her mommy and is a horse knight liker her dad. My main character is about to hook up with either Azura or Felicia, Arthur is putting the moves on Nyx and Camilla and Niles are already arguing like a married couple.

ngower

I haven't opened my copy of Birthright yet because I'm trying to be kind to my backlog and finish at least ONE game on my playlist right now, but I wanted to ask what the average time commitment is for a battle? I know that some fights can take up to an hour (or more) in SRPGs and I am maybe limited to that much time every night when I get home. Just curious what the realistic time commitment is for those who have been playing already.

I had my first baby! Congratulations Elise and Silas for having little Sophie. I'm not sure how much they change the characters to look like the parents but damn she looks canon to them two, looks just like her mommy and is a horse knight liker her dad. My main character is about to hook up with either Azura or Felicia, Arthur is putting the moves on Nyx and Camilla and Niles are already arguing like a married couple.
Only hair color changes to mom's hair color I believe (or technically non-primary parent since Azura and female Corrin exist)

I haven't opened my copy of Birthright yet because I'm trying to be kind to my backlog and finish at least ONE game on my playlist right now, but I wanted to ask what the average time commitment is for a battle? I know that some fights can take up to an hour (or more) in SRPGs and I am maybe limited to that much time every night when I get home. Just curious what the realistic time commitment is for those who have been playing already.
I'm at chapter 22 and no successful fight has taken anywhere near an hour. The time cost comes from restarting failed attempts. Each attempt is usually less than 30 min so far. And you can reduce failed attempts if you go casual rather than classic

Ponn

Banned
Only hair color changes to mom's hair color I believe (or technically non-primary parent since Azura and female Corrin exist)

hmm..and if I read correctly the children are based on the father this time so yea i'm really surprised how canon this pairing ended up. I mean I swear they used Elise's model for Sophie and just changed her hair and costume. She even does the mouth quark thing like Elise.

Did I make a horrible mistake making Corrin a Dark Mage? He's way better than fucking Odin, but the lack of speed could be a deal breaker for me, combined with magic just not being what it used to be.

Depends on what gains you get really. My magic-focused Corrin does 20+ damage with the dragon attack, which made it better than the Yato for most cases.

Did I make a horrible mistake making Corrin a Dark Mage? He's way better than fucking Odin, but the lack of speed could be a deal breaker for me, combined with magic just not being what it used to be.

Depends on what gains you get really. My magic-focused Corrin does 20+ damage with the dragon attack, which made it better than the Yato for most cases.
Yes, because you seem to be playing conquest, and Corrin's promotion in conquest can use tomes

I use dragonstone basically every fight, it's an incredibly useful baiting/tanking tool. I'm definitely going to miss it when I reclass Corrin.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Yeah, even with a big gulf between my Str and Mag, 23 to 11 respectively, the big differential I think is my Spd which is at like 25. So while the single hit is normally comparable between the two, I almost always get a dual strike with Yato.

Shun

I was wrong about Awakening's lack of narrative (it's miniscule but it was there).

Good taste cuz you know they da bae. Great Lord that wrecks everyone and Sorcerer/Witch that can Vantage/Vengeance/50-60% critical everyone on enemy turn.

Plus they support da dessssss

Top Bottom