• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I'm guessing Luck affects hit rates in ways that aren't visible in the battle forecast, right?

Arthur is blowing 80-95% chances to hit enemies at least half the time. His stats are good but he feels so unreliable, it's maddening. His support with Effie is helpful but he hasn't been exceedingly useful outside of that, all because he's been missing so much.

Which is why he said promote and than switch :).

Wait if you promote to Noble then heart switch Corrin (I have ninja as my talent), will I get the option to choose between Master Ninja and Mechanist or just Ninja?

Hence why you promote the main class to the noble, and then reclass to ninja whichever way you can and you'll have instant access to the promoted ninja class that can use swords

Doh, missed your post, thanks Woof.

My Corrin is kinda terrible dps wise at lvl 12 with 11 str on chap 11. I went +skill/-luck with ninja talent and have been waffling back and forth regarding when to go ninja.

Yes, because you seem to be playing conquest, and Corrin's promotion in conquest can use tomes

Hmm. I think I might go back to an earlier save then.
If I use a seal on Corrin after promotion, is it like Awakening where you can switch from promoted class to another promoted class?

Unless Dark Knights are really bad, I want to make Corrin one eventually to get his ass on a horse.

Edit: Okay I see my question about promote switching was just answered above. That said, is Dark Knight a good class?

Bauer91

Finished Birthright, in the span of three days and around 26 hours of gameplay. Not a hardcore fan of the series but I've played it straight after Awakening which I finished on Friday and thought it was an improvement in pretty much every way. Enjoyed the story more and the map designs were far more interesting as well. Not sure if I have it in me to play Conquest or if I've had enough of Fire Emblem for now.

This choice feels like canon to me, before playing Conquest I imagine choosing Nohr would be an alternative story line and have no idea what to expect from Revelations.

DarkKyo

Is my game bugged? I'm in Conquest, chapter 8... I'm set to classic mode but whenever my guys die in chapter 8 they're all like "I'll retreat for now.."

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Is my game bugged? I'm in Conquest, chapter 8... I'm set to classic mode but whenever my guys die in chapter 8 they're all like "I'll retreat for now.."
Characters that could be relevant to the plot won't "die", but they will remain unusable for gameplay.

Nope. Chances are that you have a character that can't be killed off because they have some relevance to the plot or a cutscene later on.

Azuran

Banned
Chapter 14 is so long it feels like I'm playing FE4. I thought it was over when I got rid of all the paladins and generals only to see the boss is actually inside the castle guarded by an entire army.

I thought Benny was the boss at first D:

So if I'm going to start with birthright right now, does anyone have some suggestions on stuff I should make sure I don't "screw up"? Missables/decisions not to make or else I'll be locked out of something, or bad relationship pairings or something?

Side note, Is there any type of super skill in this one that requires a ton of grinding like getting galeforce on everyone in awakening?

So if I'm going to start with birthright right now, does anyone have some suggestions on stuff I should make sure I don't "screw up"? Missables/decisions not to make or else I'll be locked out of something, or bad relationship pairings or something?

Side note, Is there any type of super skill in this one that requires a ton of grinding like getting galeforce on everyone in awakening?

You need an A rank support by chapter 15 for a certain character, or the story will change a bit. Character/change here:
Kaze needs an A rank support with Corrin by chapter 15, or he will die.

Kaze has some of the most interesting stats I've ever seen in a Fire Emblem character. This guy DESTROYS magic users. Level 11 Master Ninja and he just capped Resistance at 35, and has like 40 speed. Meanwhile He only has about 15 luck and defence.

Azura has been interesting too. She's in her late 20s level wise and has all around really good stats but absolutely abysmal HP and Defence. About 22 and 5 respectively I think.

nukedeggs

Wooo just got this game! Since I've been waiting for it for a while (but sadly missed out on the Special Edition) I decided to just get Birthright and Conquest immediately, figuring that I'd choose the more natural in-game path.

And, uh, was I the only one turned off by Nohr in Chapter 1? Everyone seems to love Corrin a little TOO much. It's kinda weird. By the time I met Takumi I was pretty refreshed by having someone who doesn't love Corrin immediately upon sight.

Needless to say I'm playing Birthright on the first go-around, though I'm worried I messed up on my F!Corrin. I have her with +MAG/-LUK with Diviner talent, though it seems like she's moreso of a melee fighter atm.

I'm guessing Luck affects hit rates in ways that aren't visible in the battle forecast, right?

Arthur is blowing 80-95% chances to hit enemies at least half the time. His stats are good but he feels so unreliable, it's maddening. His support with Effie is helpful but he hasn't been exceedingly useful outside of that, all because he's been missing so much.
No, but from what I know the FE games have long calculated when you hit in such a way that the numbers you see aren't completely accurate. Though I'm pretty sure that usually works such that high odds are higher and low odds lower

Kinsei

Banned
Birthright Chapter 13 spoilers.

I did not expect every enemy left on the map to start advancing once Camilla was defeated. Thank goodness Hana dodged a killing blow with a 78% chance to hit or else I think I would have lost her and Setsuna.

Had I known I would have waited to use the dragon vein until Selena was in position to be hit.

zashga

I'm having a hell of a time with Nohr chapter 10 on hard/classic. My units are too fragile to stand up to this onslaught, aside from Corrin, Effie, and
Camilla
. I had to burn an early master seal on Niles just to stand a chance, and even then I can't seem to make it all the way through without losing someone.

I've probably tried this map five times already, still can't quite get it. Feels completely out of line with how hard the game has been up to this point. Seriously considering dropping the difficulty just so I can move on. :/

It is because Saizo doesn't have to survive and you can beat most of the chapter by stalling.

The only bullshit is that when you fight the boss and the 3 enemies in that lair, your attacks miss like crazy and it is bullshit. Even with the weapon triangle, you hit like 40-50 percent. Sword users? 19 percent...
I used enfeeble, which is amazing against bosses, I also didnt turtle because I tried to keep up with sazo, gave up on that though after I locked half my army in a tiny room with a treasure chest for 3 turns

Shun

I used enfeeble, which is amazing against bosses, I also didnt turtle because I tried to keep up with sazo, gave up on that though after I locked half my army in a tiny room with a treasure chest for 3 turns

Yeah I was doing a run trying to capture the boss with Zero so I made it artificially more difficult for myself on Lunatic.

I could have just gone and killed him with Camilla/Beruka and done with it. But I wanted him in my prison.

Swamped

Banned
It took me a couple tries, but basically the important thing is to get mileage out of Elise's Freeze staff to keep the left-most village from being warned. There's really only one dude who will try to get there and as long as you're fast enough you can prevent him from ever getting closer than a tile away. I basically just rushed along the map's south side (Niles and Jakob did tons of work) to secure the route (minding enemy move squares) from the enemy mages and rushed Elise ahead to lock down the final settlement, then used Silas to move ahead and finish the job.

The mission is by far the hardest at its' beginning, but as soon as you deal with half the map, the pressure to keep moving becomes a lot less demanding.

Thanks for the tips, lovely person! I'll try it out. Just figured or that you can't talk to Flora here, I tried with Corrin and Jakob but no option to talk. Huh, I really thought she would be recruitable.

Azuran

Banned
I was getting annoyed that Fighters aren't wearing any pants, then I see Charlotte and now I'm fine with it.

Yes, I'm a perv sometimes.

Menthuss

Hoshido side is pretty easy so far (then again, I'm only on normal). Is Nohr only harder because you can't grind or are the levels genuinely more challenging than the Hoshido ones?

Taruranto

Chapter 14 Conquest, after the hard-as-balls 13th, this one was piss easy.

Also they didn't notice
Azura was the dancer?
LOL

Azuran

Banned
Hoshido side is pretty easy so far (then again, I'm only on normal). Is Nohr only harder because you can't grind or are the levels genuinely more challenging than the Hoshido ones?

Probably both because Birthright tends to get pretty tough on Hard. Both games are more challenging than Awakening hard.

Kinsei

Banned

The levels are more challenging and have more varied objectives.

Birthright is a nice challenge on hard.

Started Birthright/Hard. I'd just finished up Eliwood Normal and it was stupid easy, and I expected this to be about the same. The first five chapters totally threw me off. Way harder than I was expecting. Corrin pretty much had to solo chapter 5. Now I'm at chapter 8 and the difficulty has gotten more normal. I'd probably be pretty frustrated if I had switched down to Normal.

How do you register an Avatar into the logbook? I haven't gotten that option yet.

Unlike Elfie the Conquest Goddess, Benoit is a piece of shit with his stats and growths and how slow he is. Not worth it. His kid is aight I guess but so many better people to pick from.

I'm playing on normal so no worries about best units. And her only supports I have are with her husband and child. And the child is paired with his child support. So no moms allowed

Wait if you promote to Noble then heart switch Corrin (I have ninja as my talent), will I get the option to choose between Master Ninja and Mechanist or just Ninja?

Doh, missed your post, thanks Woof.

My Corrin is kinda terrible dps wise at lvl 12 with 11 str on chap 11. I went +skill/-luck with ninja talent and have been waffling back and forth regarding when to go ninja.

I went strength and - luck. You probably ended up going to a way you gave to go ninja with higher skill. Just stick with nohr prince, promote and then use heart seal to go either master ninja or mechanist. I'd go master ninja with killing edge for more crits and crit chance.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I just started playing on Hard/Casual and I'm having the damndest time. I played through Awakening on Normal/Classic and was able to get fairly far, but I feel like I'm flailing around in Fates. I feel like it's aggressively difficult, but then I see people breezing through Lunatic on here, so I must be doing something wrong.

Any tips? I'm on the mission where
your mother gets killed and you turn into a dragon.

I just started playing on Hard/Casual and I'm having the damndest time. I played through Awakening on Normal/Classic and was able to get fairly far, but I feel like I'm flailing around in Fates. I feel like it's aggressively difficult, but then I see people breezing through Lunatic on here, so I must be doing something wrong.

Any tips? I'm on the mission where
your mother gets killed and you turn into a dragon.
Think of Corrin as a delete button. He can instakill anything but can't tank mages or wyrmslayers. Use Kaze paired up with Rinkah to tank/kill mages. Use Azura to refresh for whatever you need, whether that's Corrin instagibbing a second enemy, repositioning Kaze, or getting an extra heal out of Sakura. Keep Rinkah in Guard Stance for Kaze for the entire map.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Think of Corrin as a delete button. He can instakill anything but can't tank mages or wyrmslayers. Use Kaze paired up with Rinkah to tank/kill mages. Use Azura to refresh for whatever you need, whether that's Corrin instagibbing a second enemy, repositioning Kaze, or getting an extra heal out of Sakura. Keep Rinkah in Guard Stance for Kaze for the entire map.

Thanks man. Any general strategy tips overall?

Thanks man. Any general strategy tips overall?
In general, Guard Stance is better than Attack Stance. Consider what will happen on enemy phase and try to maximize what you can accomplish then. Let powerful units draw aggro so they can kill as many enemies during enemy phase as possible while remaining safe. Watch enemy ranges and your positioning.

I'm playing on normal so no worries about best units. And her only supports I have are with her husband and child. And the child is paired with his child support. So no moms allowed

I went strength and - luck. You probably ended up going to a way you gave to go ninja with higher skill. Just stick with nohr prince, promote and then use heart seal to go either master ninja or mechanist. I'd go master ninja with killing edge for more crits and crit chance.
Great thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try, my switch to mechanist for a bit after I hit 15 elite ninja for puppets :D

Squishy3

Boy the allied units AI... isn't great, or is inconsistent, is the word I should use. I'm in chapter 4 where you need to rush to save Hinoka and Sakura and Hinoka just sat by and watched as one of the bondage monsters beat Sakura to death. She was actively attacking the turn before too, like seriously?

You only needed to move 3 spaces, Hinoka. Come the fuck on.

Xenoflare

What dictates the persuasion for the prisoners.

I captured one of the bosses and he out levels every character that I have and I had no success of recruiting him

Boy the allied units AI... isn't great, or is inconsistent, is the word I should use. I'm in chapter 4 where you need to rush to save Hinoka and Sakura and Hinoka just sat by and watched as one of the bondage monsters beat Sakura to death. She was actively attacking the turn before too, like seriously?

You only needed to move 3 spaces, Hinoka. Come the fuck on.

It's consistent, kinda; Hinoka just won't move in that chapter... ever. Maybe she doesn't bother looking behind her? XD

Top Bottom