• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

got my first character death in nohr 10

course it was cause arthur decided to take a 3% critical arrow in the chin

so once I get his kid, he's getting dropped hard

So if I'm going to start with birthright right now, does anyone have some suggestions on stuff I should make sure I don't "screw up"? Missables/decisions not to make or else I'll be locked out of something, or bad relationship pairings or something?

Side note, Is there any type of super skill in this one that requires a ton of grinding like getting galeforce on everyone in awakening?

any other suggestions on this? I already know about a certain character relationship you have to get high enough before a certain point...

Chapter 26 was kind of a joke lol. My Corrin was so much stronger then
Xander
, that he wrecked him in two turns. Hell, if dragon fang had activated it would've been a one turn victory

Kinsei

Banned
any other suggestions on this? I already know about a certain character relationship you have to get high enough before a certain point...

If you are playing as a guy and want all of the child units make sure you romance one of the second generation units. The children are tied to the fathers now so you could end up not having enough women for the men.

This game's Hard is bloody hard. I thought "Hard" would be real Normal like Awakening. But I don't think I have ever reset so many times in a handheld Fire Emblem game and at chapter 8.

I found Awakening's Hard to be comparable in difficulty to Path of Radiance on Normal, and so far, Conquest's Hard to be closer to Radiant Dawn on Normal, though my memory may be playing tricks on me here. For some reason I recall Radiant Dawn as incredibly punishing right out of the gate, but it's possible I've become a better player since.

Conquest on Hard is definitely easier than Awakening on Lunatic, where I found myself depending on RNG more than I would like. In Conquest I'm finding that I still have enough of a margin to make every play with a guaranteed (or near-guaranteed) chance of survival/success. It's more observationally demanding than usual (you really do need to check every single enemy for skills, whereas I don't think I ever had to do that in any do-or-die scenarios in Awakening's Hard) and the new mechanics take some adjustment, but these are problems that are fundamentally tractable.

I see an awful lot of people bailing on Hard at Conquest 10. I can only recommend that you all stick with it. It's a roadblock, yes, but clearing it cleanly is one of the best experiences in the series, and it's a turning point where you pick up so much EXP and weapon levels with your party, and learn so much about the mechanics, that it doesn't get much harder from there. Finishing it is the point in the campaign where you have a good amount of class/weapon diversity in your party and also an emergent core of heavy hitters, both of which put you ahead of the difficulty curve as you move on.

The biggest improvements in my play in Hard came from precisely two things:

- Observation: always checking skills and accounting for where the enemy AI might close in for a dual attack.

- Understanding how the new dual attack system works, both to maximize damage and also spot when I need to defend with Pair Up. The new support system is much more reliable and transparent than older cames when it comes to damage numbers, and any information is an advantage for the player. Learn how to set these up. Learn to switch to the best weapons on the supporting character, which may not be the same as the best weapon for a main attacker. Learn when to merge and when to split. Learn how to bait or defend against an AI that knows how to support. None of this requires a guide, and it all works very reliably. You just need to learn the quirks that come with a new entry in the series.

One simple tactic: let's say you have two adjacent attackers, A and B, and a third character C that works well as a Pair Up supporter thanks to a boost to your attack (Str/Mag). You can pair C up with B, then attack with A for (A damage + 0.5*(B damage + C buff)). Then you can use B to transfer C to A, and attack with B for (B damage + 0.5*(A damage + C buff)). The improvement on your damage output will make a difference. It's vital to know that you can transfer and take an action on the same turn, something that you could play all of Awakening without running into as in that game there was rarely a tactical reason to break up pairs.

Something I will say very strongly in favour of Fates is this: with so much information on the table like guaranteed supporting attacks and the Dual Guard gauge, unlike past games (even easier ones, like Awakening with its same-turn reinforcements) I'm never made to feel like I've been screwed by RNG. Every mistake I've made has owed itself to poor observation. It's something you don't notice until you think about it, but it feels amazing.

Wilsongt

got my first character death in nohr 10

course it was cause arthur decided to take a 3% critical arrow in the chin

so once I get his kid, he's getting dropped hard

Poor Arthur and his Chin of Justice. I only had him around for his child. Now that I got that out of the way, to the bench he goes.

Next game is going to be a rebootish game again. I expect pairing and avatars to be in, but kids will be removed.

Current IS seems to have two games per generation (Shadow Dragon/Mystery of Emblem; Awakening/Fates hell you can even have PoR/RD listed as generational games as well). For MoE and Fates, the second games seems to be huge refinements over the first.

Although, I can see them continuing alot from the previous two games. As Fates and Awakening have blown up especially in the West (and has done really well in Japan hasn't done this well since 3/4).

I doubt kids will be removed, even how crappy Fates excuse was for the kids existence in this game, the 2nd most discuss stuff about Fates (and Awakening) after the gameplay was min-max pairing for the Kids.

NeonZ

I'm guessing the Amiibo characters, aka my boy Ike, don't have any supports/marriage options? Also are they really good?

Marth and Lucina are good (Marth can S rank swords and learns Speedtaker, Lucina eventually gets Awakening), Ike and Robin suffer from speed issues that hurt their usability. Still, Robin basically starts with the second best general use tome in the game (and it's exclusive use, so you can't just give it to another character).

Marth and Lucina have semi-exclusive classes, only one other character can use each one, but Robin's and Ike's are freely available thanks to later DLC. The Ragnell is stronger than the weapons of the two royal older brothers, but it's hurt by a -3 effective speed penalty, so it'll hardly double things, especially with Ike himself not being fast.

Another issue with all of them though is that they can only use the DLC class change seals, like Dread Fighter.

Pau

Any tips for Birthright Ch. 14?

I do well in the first few turns but then I get absolutely overwhelmed by the mounted units.

Boney

Banned
How are people complaining hard is too hard? They finally have an actual strategy game in their hands instead of just waltzing over everybody.

Another issue with all of them though is that they can only use the DLC class change seals, like Dread Fighter.

It would've been nice if the amiibo characters had secondary classes based from their games or how they play. (Samurai Marth, Mercenary Ike, Diviner Robin; Cavalier Lucina.)

And the ability to A+ with Corrin (and in Robin/Lucina's case, support with
the Awakening trio.
)
But CANNOT S-Rank with them

Edit: The amiibo units, while nice, still feel lacking in many areas. I get that IS doesn't want the amiibo units to be overpowering, or as a sign of Pay to Win, but they still don't feel as good compared to the majority of the cast.

How are people complaining hard is too hard? They finally have an actual strategy game in their hands instead of just waltzing over everybody.
A lot of players started with Awakening which was pretty easy compared to the rest of the series in terms of how much information you need to keep track of. Most maps only required that you paired up the proper characters and find where to maximize damage output without risk of dying.

Fates gives you a lot more info and numbers to crunch which is good, as it leaves things less reliant on guesses but it also operates on the idea that the player will use all the information available to them as much as they can. I think it's comparable to the hard modes of previous FE games before Awakening, or at least Conquest Hard is.

Azuran

Banned

I do well in the first few turns but then I get absolutely overwhelmed by the mounted units.

I split my group into two so the enemy army had to do the same. It's easier than having to deal with the entire force at once which eventually gets pretty overwhelming since it's impossible to OKHO every enemy unit unless you get lucky. I also gave Oboro and Silas a Guard Naginata so they can tank anything.

Draxal

I found Awakening's Hard to be comparable in difficulty to Path of Radiance on Normal, and so far, Conquest's Hard to be closer to Radiant Dawn on Normal, though my memory may be playing tricks on me here. For some reason I recall Radiant Dawn as incredibly punishing right out of the gate, but it's possible I've become a better player since.

RD's normal = Japanese's hard iirc. They kinda screwed up that game badly on the localization. Or basically, what happened is they added a new difficulty in PoR for the American release and took it out for RD.

Insolitus

Banned

Use Corrin(Dragonstone) and Ryoma on opposite sides of the field to lure and take out the paladins. Once they're out of the way the rest shouldn't be too difficult, Orochi is good to use against the other mounted units.

Draxal

Yeah, I have no clue why they did that.

It's basically because they added another difficutly level in PoR's english release and removed the hardest from PoR, but had the same difficulties for Japan in the English release of RD ... but kept the naming schematics from PoR iirc

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fine, but it's really, really obvious for this to happen at this point so I think this type of reaction always strikes me as ridiculous

If we're not even close to that point we could be thinking some characters don't make it to that point and such. Not sure how that doesn't make sense how you can be thinking it's not a spoiler.

RD's normal = Japanese's hard iirc. They kinda screwed up that game badly on the localization. Or basically, what happened is they added a new difficulty in PoR for the American release and took it out for RD.

They also removed extra dialogue that was only assessable in Japanese Hard mode. IIRC it explained a couple of plot points a bit better and/or made character motivations clearer.

On the topic of Fates, I'm finding it difficult to bother using either Orochi or Hayato in Birthright. They both seem mediocre in their own ways. Am I doing something wrong or am I not giving them a fair chance?

If we're not even close to that point we could be thinking some characters don't make it to that point and such. Not sure how that doesn't make sense how you can be thinking it's not a spoiler.
Fair enough, though that fight being endgame for birthright is teased way in advance, plus it's a logical conclusion imo

Draxal

They also removed extra dialogue that was only assessable in Japanese Hard mode. IIRC it explained a couple of plot points a bit better and/or made character motivations clearer.

On the topic of Fates, I'm finding it difficult to bother using either Orochi or Hayato in Birthright. They both seem mediocre in their own ways. Am I doing something wrong or am I not giving them a fair chance.

Hayato sucks in that route, and Orochi kinda sucks in general. Only use Orochi if you want a capture bot.

Azuran

Banned

On the topic of Fates, I'm finding it difficult to bother using either Orochi or Hayato in Birthright. They both seem mediocre in their own ways. Am I doing something wrong or am I not giving them a fair chance?

Both are terrible. Only reason I even bothered to used Orochi for a bit was because she was the only tome user for a while. Magic got nerfed hard from what I've seen so far.

Gruco

Banned
Conquest Hard is I think closer to Radiant Dawn US hard (IIRC, a slightly easier Maniac) than US Normal. I don't really know how far to trust my memory here, but other than a couple missions I was able to get pretty fast clean wins on Radiant Dawn normal. Conquest 10 on Hard is much harder than either Ellencia's Gambit or the final Dawn Brigade mission on any difficulty setting.

Although that said the problem might be rustiness on my part. Radiant Dawn is fairly old by now and Awakening was just a hilariously broken game that didn't push tactical skill at all. I was also immediately proficient at the core tactics in Radiant Dawn because they were identical to Path of Radiance, whereas there is definitely an adjustment period for Fates.

That said, none of this is a complaint. Conquest is amazing.

lt519

Not sure I made the right move going Hard/Casual on Birthright. It seems pretty easy, minus one chapter so far. Should have just done Hard/Perma. I'll probably do Conquest Normal/Perma. Didn't want to burn myself by restarting chapters too many times when there is so much content to play, but I don't really find it difficult to keep everyone alive so far.

Liking the story so far though, it's fun.

Oh yeah, are stat level ups still RNG or did they remove that in Awakening? I forget, but I've seemingly gotten dicked over a couple times already.

On Birthright 11. Yeah, this is really, really good so far.

and holy shit, Road Taken is so fantastic. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

Chase17

Question about birthright chapter 12.

Should I just fly Corrin over to the exit?Do I miss out on anything. Not sure I can safely get to the freeze the ice point and bring everyone out.

Azuran

Banned

Should I just fly Corrin over to the exit?Do I miss out on anything. Not sure I can safely get to the freeze the ice point and bring everyone out.

The only thing you will miss out on is EXP and a Dracoshield in the middle of the map.

Orochi gets alot better in the middle chapters where you have alot more isolated dark mages to fight. Also keep an eye out for Horse Spirit at the armory it's an insanely useful scroll that makes her useable. Strangely if you want magic dmg I've found Hinoka and Rinkah with magic weapons to be better, as magic weapons have very high damage.

Dad

Just try to get the chest/thief and then fly Corrin out. Freezing the water is actually a horrible idea because the enemy will just immediately overwhelm you

Draxal

Orochi gets alot better in the middle chapters where you have alot more isolated dark mages to fight. Also keep an eye out for Horse Spirit at the armory it's an insanely useful scroll that makes her useable. Strangely if you want magic dmg I've found Hinoka and Rinkah with magic weapons to be better, as magic weapons have very high damage.

Felicia with the Flame Shuriken hits hard as well.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I struggled with this chapter as well for a while because of that. Finally beat it without much issue once I totally changed my tactics to focusing on Defensive Stance. Basically just attack and retreat. Use you Pre-promotes to take out the heavy hitters and just try and maintain a strong defensive line or horseshoe with two healers inside to keep everyone alive.

How the heck do I keep no one from dying in chapter 5 Classic mode Hard? I got lucky once and only one person died but damn. I'll try again.

If you are playing as a guy and want all of the child units make sure you romance one of the second generation units. The children are tied to the fathers now so you could end up not having enough women for the men.
There is at least one option thats not a second generation unit, Flora. I havent looked for others. Conquest and revelation only

I think someone said Azura works as well

looking at birthright characters on the wiki, I believe Reina and Scarlet are safe as well

Top Bottom