• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Chase17

Just try to get the chest/thief and then fly Corrin out. Freezing the water is actually a horrible idea because the enemy will just immediately overwhelm you

I'm just going to quote myself here.

The only thing you will miss out on is EXP and a Dracoshield in the middle of the map.
Thanks! Was able to grab the dracoshirld then bail. Held out for a while to get exp too. Those great knights are tough!

Loving the game so far! The music in Lillith's temple is so good (as is much of the music in the game).

Do most people here turn battle animations off or leave them on? The transition is done so well in this game that I like to leave them on, but time wise it's tough. Just been turning them off if I have to restart a mission so far.

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks! Was able to grab the dracoshirld then bail. Held out for a while to get exp too. Those great knights are tough!

Loving the game so far! The music in Lillith's temple is so good (as is much of the music in the game).

Do most people here turn battle animations off or leave them on? The transition is done so well in this game that I like to leave them on, but time wise it's tough. Just been turning them off if I have to restart a mission so far.

Like in every game I have battle animations on and support animations off.

timnich

How does the villager class work in Fates? I thought that Mozu would max out her level at 10 but now she's at level 12. Also, what classes am I able to promote her to?

Boney

Banned
How the heck do I keep no one from dying in chapter 5 Classic mode Hard? I got lucky once and only one person died but damn. I'll try again.
Is that the one where you're in hoshido after the ritual?

Use Corrin as your main point guard unit despite the wyrmslayers. Just don't let both of them get to you at the same turn. Take it as slow as you can and be smart about pairing up and using stand alone units.

How does the villager class work in Fates? I thought that Mozu would max out her level at 10 but now she's at level 12. Also, what classes am I able to promote her to?
You can use a heart seal to change her to an archer. She doesn't learn more skills as villager after level 10 so you should switch as quick as possible if you wanna keep using her now. The archer skills will be picked up at level 13 and 14 in his case.

Not sure what she promotes as villager now that I think about it.

villager is kindve a weird base class in this. Maxes out at 20 and promotes to a 2nd tier class (Merchant or weapon master).

Villager is just weak starting, but Mozu's stat gains are great and she gets aptitude

Insolitus

Banned

The music is orgasmic, No Justice is my favorite so far. Also I usually keep the animations on, but I always fast forward on impulse. It somehow makes the fights funner to watch.

I leave them on but hold L at the beginning of an animation to skip it if I am trying to go faster.

Villager works just like any normal class now, where it has 2 promoted classes to choose from (Master of Arms and Merchant)

My only reason for making her a Merchant is because that's the class she has on one of the Cipher cards.

latest

Neonsands

Neo Member
Effie is a national treasure. If I could give her every single medal of service out there, I'd be down. She has singlehandedly saved my team time and time again.

Also, she's a big Bernie Sanders fan, so that's entertaining. She keeps telling me to #FeelTheBern.

Effie is a national treasure. If I could give her every single medal of service out there, I'd be down. She has singlehandedly saved my team time and time again.

Also, she's a big Bernie Sanders fan, so that's entertaining. She keeps telling me to #FeelTheBern.
After so many games giving Knights the shaft, I am SO glad to have Effie, and so glad I didn't dismiss her. I'm probably going to give her boots so she can keep pace with everyone else though.

Niles, Effie, and Keaton for me. I've since moved on from Niles for his daughter.
Effie, Corrin, Selena are all insane in my save right now. Effie is a tank, but those two hit like trucks. Corrin is activating Luna, Astra, or Dragon Fang every fight. Selena I got Aptitude at a low level, and her stat growths have been so damn good.
After so many games giving Knights the shaft, I am SO glad to have Effie, and so glad I didn't dismiss her. I'm probably going to give her boots so she can keep pace with everyone else though.
I gave her boots on like chapter 7 lol

Effie really is a house, at level 6(26) general she has 30 STR and her class skill makes her speed irrelevant. She has more strength than my 9(29) Corrin with STR boon

Is Felicia a good unit? So far she seems, like the weaker of them all, with no talent.
I leveled her to 24 before deciding that shes weak. However at that point I realized I could heartstone her into a strategist and she got a lot better. She still seems not great, but she has 23 MAG and very high speed and skill, so I can usually get double hits off with her. So at this point im still using her as primarily a healer, but shes doing some killing when necessary

EDIT: At 24 maid she had 9 str, so the most she could do is hit units for 0 twice and inflict status down. Pretty crappy. Im moving daggers to Midori and making felicia healer/nuker

Is Felicia a good unit? So far she seems, like the weaker of them all, with no talent.
Good healer and decent damage with the magic shuriken. I dropped her because of her voice though lol

Birthright 24 looked lame until I realized treating this map as pseudo-rout was a bad idea and that it was more "survive and clear a path for Ryouma to the boss" which he proceeded to ORKO as he does. OUGI indeed lol.

Razzorn34

Man. I can't even beat Chapter 5 Hard. I feel like I'm missing something important, but I have no idea what. All of my units die so easily. Is there some mechanic I'm missing?

I've been using Kaze/Rinkah, and Azura/Sakura pairs. I let Corrin tank anything without a wyrmslayer, and use Azura to double her turns to make sure the wyrmslayers are dead if near. Kaze/Rinkah seem worthless for anything but luring. They die in 2 turns at best, and can't take out anything in 1 turn. I've worked through most of the enemy units, but a stray mage or something always ends up ruining everything.

Should I be pairing up? Not pairing up? Is there anything else I should be doing? My outlook on finishing this game on Hard is pretty bleak already, and I finished Awakening on Hard. If the rest of the game is this way, I might have to take the step down.

Keep Sakura and Azura unpaired, neither should be seeing combat and you're cutting off either a refresh or a heal by doing that. Keep Rinkah in Guard Stance and just keep Kaze healthy enough to survive the number of enemies that will attack him. Be sure to take advantage of the free block from Guard Stance when it's up.

Rigalo

Man. I can't even beat Chapter 5 Hard. I feel like I'm missing something important, but I have no idea what. All of my units die so easily. Is there some mechanic I'm missing?

I've been using Kaze/Rinkah, and Azura/Sakura pairs. I let Corrin tank anything without a wyrmslayer, and use Azura to double her turns to make sure the wyrmslayers are dead if near. Kaze/Rinkah seem worthless for anything but luring. They die in 2 turns at best, and can't take out anything in 1 turn. I've worked through most of the enemy units, but a stray mage or something always ends up ruining everything.

Should I be pairing up? Not pairing up? Is there anything else I should be doing? My outlook on finishing this game on Hard is pretty bleak already, and I finished Awakening on Hard. If the rest of the game is this way, I might have to take the step down.

Don't turn off hard after ch. 5. It was a problem for me for a while too but everything after is stupid easy to the point that I had to restart my entire game. As far as this chapter, I don't really think there is a particular strategy, just focus on corrin as the only one doing damage, use rinkah/kaze to bait and azura to give corrin as many moves as possible

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Marth and Lucina are good (Marth can S rank swords and learns Speedtaker, Lucina eventually gets Awakening), Ike and Robin suffer from speed issues that hurt their usability. Still, Robin basically starts with the second best general use tome in the game (and it's exclusive use, so you can't just give it to another character).

Marth and Lucina have semi-exclusive classes, only one other character can use each one, but Robin's and Ike's are freely available thanks to later DLC. The Ragnell is stronger than the weapons of the two royal older brothers, but it's hurt by a -3 effective speed penalty, so it'll hardly double things, especially with Ike himself not being fast.

Another issue with all of them though is that they can only use the DLC class change seals, like Dread Fighter.

Good look. Unfortunate, was looking forward to blowing faces off with Ike. I'll try him out, but will probably hang back.

Going to Normal is like dropping training weights. You've done 9 chapters of increased enemies, and practiced on the harder version, so you are a higher level and know what you're doing.

And Felicia/Butler are "pre-promoted", but have a higher level cap or something so they really kind of aren't.

Hard will be much more manageable on your second playthrough.

Conquest Classic/Hard is really goddamn hard. It is not at all equivalent to most FE "Normal" like some purists tout. Awakening Hard/Classic is not enough preparation.
Are enemies counts higher on Hard? I assumed they just always had better items and a level or two more. No fucking wonder I can't go take house on chapter 10.

Though hard I also think it is one of the best defense maps in a game in a long time. I play lots of board war games and stuff and that map is really fantastic and full of hard choices.

I actually think the map is pretty great now that I got a chance to play it. Its the first map that hasn't just been me moving up slowly baiting a unit out and then killing it.

I've played all the US Fire Emblem except Shadow Dragon on Normal. Anyone who says Conquest hard is comparable to non- Awakening games on Normal really misremembering the difficulty of those other games. You can even grind in all those other games to some extent with the arena, but that's not the case here. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to willing to play on hard.

Razzorn34

Keep Sakura and Azura unpaired, neither should be seeing combat and you're cutting off either a refresh or a heal by doing that. Keep Rinkah in Guard Stance and just keep Kaze healthy enough to survive the number of enemies that will attack him. Be sure to take advantage of the free block from Guard Stance when it's up.

What is Guard Stance? I haven't seen this. Is it something you can select?

Kinsei

Banned

Every time you attack or are attacked while paired up you'll see a shield gauge increase. Once this gauge is full the character that doesn't fight will be in guard stance and the next attack will deal no damage to you.

Pair Up works pretty differently in this game.

"Guard Stance" is when 2 units occupy the same space. Guard stance automatically negates follow up attacks by the enemy, gives stat bonuses and, whenever the meter fills, grants one free block.

"Attack Stance" or whatever the name is when a NON paired unit attacks, any adjacent ally will join in for extra damage. Note a paired guard stance unit can support attack as well. Guard Stance completely negates Attack Stance so there's no point in using Attack Stance against paired units.

It's when you use pair up and one unit is in the back and will block the next attack once their gauge is full. The other kind of pair up is Attack Stance, where a unit attacking will have a follow up attack from an adjacent ally if they are not in Guard Stance.

Renewed

Yeah, this doesn't even account for the whole color scheme.

Surely I'm not the only one in this position... How does everyone else decide what enemies your characters can withstand attacks from without relying on guesswork?

Colour scheme is easy. Imagine Pokemon's Fire (Red) beats Grass (Green) which beats Water (Blue) and that ends back at Fire (Red).

I just look at the enemy's attack value and how far away they may be and if they might try for a dual strike by taking their time and setting up.

What the fuck is a sting shruiken and why did it just absolutely destroy Effie?

Shuriken that deals bonus damage on armoured units. Bonus damage weapons are notified by a symbol at the end that can indicate bonus damage for Beasts, Armoured Units, Flying Units, Dragons and whatnot.

Shun

Y'all talking shit about Felicia?

I guess you don't like all the あのあの はいです うわわわ えとえと 良し えいいいいい やああああ でもでも ですね ええ?

Felicia is just trying her best (。◕ฺˇε ˇ◕ฺ。)
She wants to be a good maid like her sister Flora.

So, I ended up going with Nohr. But now I need to learn actual strategy, cuz that first fight was a bloodbath. Only had the older brother, Corrin, and the dude with the book left before defeating 4 units to clear the level. It's good I'm on Casual since I would've lost quite a few people.

Hazmat

Chapter 5 is stupid. I basically had to let Corrin kill everything, first the enemies on the left, then slowly luring up the enemies on the right. Make sure you use Sing to give Corrin two actions a turn, he'll need to take out 2 enemies a turn a couple of times.

I'm on Birthright Hard 14 and haven't hit anything as frustrating as chapter 5 yet. I actually started on normal and restarted on hard because it was too easy.

Razzorn34

Pair Up works pretty differently in this game.

"Guard Stance" is when 2 units occupy the same space. Guard stance automatically negates follow up attacks by the enemy, gives stat bonuses and, whenever the meter fills, grants one free block.

"Attack Stance" or whatever the name is when a NON paired unit attacks, any adjacent ally will join in for extra damage. Note a paired guard stance unit can support attack as well. Guard Stance completely negates Attack Stance so there's no point in using Attack Stance against paired units.

So basically, Pairing up is a defensive strategy, and having a unit adjacent but unpaired is for offense? Interesting.

So, if the unit attacking has an adjacent paired unit, does the attacking unit get buffs from both units in the pair?

Thanks for the insight.

Ala Alba

Got my first S-rank, between Hayato and Sakura.

lol

I actually thought Awakening's justification fit with the story, but this is just stupid. Hayato and Sakura are no where near old enough to be parents >_<.

timnich

Is that the one where you're in hoshido after the ritual?

Use Corrin as your main point guard unit despite the wyrmslayers. Just don't let both of them get to you at the same turn. Take it as slow as you can and be smart about pairing up and using stand alone units.

You can use a heart seal to change her to an archer. She doesn't learn more skills as villager after level 10 so you should switch as quick as possible if you wanna keep using her now. The archer skills will be picked up at level 13 and 14 in his case.

Not sure what she promotes as villager now that I think about it.
Do I have any other options outside of archer? If not that's probably what I'll switch to.

No pair ups. Corrin kills everything in one shot and can attack two people per turn. The only reason it's a difficult mission is because the game tries to scare you into not attacking the dragon blade people with Corrin, but you should because Corrin one shots them. It's super easy.

Pau

I split my group into two so the enemy army had to do the same. It's easier than having to deal with the entire force at once which eventually gets pretty overwhelming since it's impossible to OKHO every enemy unit unless you get lucky. I also gave Oboro and Silas a Guard Naginata so they can tank anything.

Use Corrin(Dragonstone) and Ryoma on opposite sides of the field to lure and take out the paladins. Once they're out of the way the rest shouldn't be too difficult, Orochi is good to use against the other mounted units.

I struggled with this chapter as well for a while because of that. Finally beat it without much issue once I totally changed my tactics to focusing on Defensive Stance. Basically just attack and retreat. Use you Pre-promotes to take out the heavy hitters and just try and maintain a strong defensive line or horseshoe with two healers inside to keep everyone alive.
Thanks guys! I didn't consider splitting up into two groups because I thought I wouldn't be able to cover my healers and archers, but it worked out! I wanted to stay away from using Ryoma since he's already promoted, but I just had to bite the bullet.

My team is nearing level 20 so almost time to start crying about not having enough Master Seals.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Thanks guys! I didn't consider splitting up into two groups because I thought I wouldn't be able to cover my healers and archers, but it worked out! I wanted to stay away from using Ryoma since he's already promoted, but I just had to bite the bullet.

My team is nearing level 20 so almost time to start crying about not having enough Master Seals.
Some might hit 20 in Birthright 15, it's an easy chapter.

That's an amazing Fake Pic February drawing btw. :)

Top Bottom