• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

The reason for children to become playable in this game is so dumb compared to Awakenings.

Time enhanced pocket dimensions? Really? Let's bang out some babies then stick them into a pocket dimension? At least time travel didn't hand wave away abandoning your children, lol.

I see people keep saying it doesn't make sense to side with Nohr, but why doesn't it make sense? I haven't played Conquest, but from the treehouse video a few months ago, they said (general overarching storyline of Conquest)
you choose Nohr with the goal of changing the evil from the inside, and not actually siding with the evil king.
If that's right, then why wouldn't you choose Nohr and be with your siblings who clearly care about you and aren't really evil? Why would you abandon them in a country filled with evil?

I see people keep saying it doesn't make sense to side with Nohr, but why doesn't it make sense? I haven't played Conquest, but from the treehouse video a few months ago, they said (general overarching storyline of Conquest)
you choose Nohr with the goal of changing the evil from the inside, and not actually siding with the evil king.
If that's right, then why wouldn't you choose Nohr and be with your siblings who clearly care about you and aren't really evil? Why would you abandon them in a country filled with evil?
Not exactly. Just play and you'll see

it already feels stilted at chapter 6 when you make the decision mainly due to
what happens in chapter 5
. However as you start into the conquest route everything Corrin does is with a heaping helping of brain damage that has culminated in (allusion to a spoiler)
the absolutely dumbest possible solution to fixing the corrupt king

Luigi87

Seeing Elise's face (and the others) during the choice, but knowing what happened in Chapter 5...

This is how I felt
CorrinTherapy.jpg

KarmaCow

localization or an accident (like persona 3 portable when they accidentally forgot to translate a few lines in a social link)

It seems intentional considering the nature of the two characters. I would imagine that translators would use more obvious boiler plate text too.

Man Shura is surprisingly good for being a free bulky healer with high move and decent offense.

Also Astra is so good in this game for being able to rack up a guard quickly.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wow, Hana is super cute, she just dies too easily in battle.

Lemme guess, they did that because she would be too OP if her HP was higher.

ryseing

Got my first S-rank, between Hayato and Sakura.

lol

I actually thought Awakening's justification fit with the story, but this is just stupid. Hayato and Sakura are no where near old enough to be parents >_<.

There really needed to be a time jump if they were insisting on doing kids again.

There really needed to be a time jump if they were insisting on doing kids again.
a time gate in the dragon realm wouldve been a much better justification. Thats the kind of simple justification that you can just handwave no problem. With the way it is in this game its like they immediately had their kid and there were 9 months + fast forward realm time of ~18 years (whats that, like 18 months) between battles.

Time gate sending the new kids back wouldve been much easier to handwave and allow the mechanic to exist again just fine

I'm sure this has been posted already but if it hasn't

https://twitter.com/mombot/status/701858966557437952

Fuck you treehouse

People talk shit about treehouse all the time, but I had never gotten around to look for any examples of this before. Fucking hell. If that had been like that in the JP version then yeah, that's funny; but that conversation had actual weight and character in it, and then chucked it for a joke. Unacceptable.

Got my first S-rank, between Hayato and Sakura.

lol

I actually thought Awakening's justification fit with the story, but this is just stupid. Hayato and Sakura are no where near old enough to be parents >_<.

The more I think about how children work in Fates the less sense it makes. Are they making babies while on campaign? Does the baby dimension work on accelerated time or time travel? I'm expected to believe 9 months pass after every single S-rank conversation? These kids live half a lifetime in a dimension populated by what appears to be ghosts and never see their parents aside from a few random visits? Who is caring for them?

I'm doing what seemingly no one else is doing...

Playing each chapter by chapter! (Birthright->Conquest->Birthright, etc)

I actually like this since I'm getting two different story perspectives simultaneously. Only issue is I need to make certain notes of who I was pairing with who in each version (for certain crossover characters).

I'm saving Revelation for after I finish both though.
That's a pretty interesting approach... Haven't really considered that at all.

aravuus

People talk shit about treehouse all the time, but I had never gotten around to look for any examples of this before. Fucking hell. If that had been like that in the JP version then yeah, that's funny; but that conversation had actual weight and character in it, and then chucked it for a joke. Unacceptable.

Yeah

really not cool

Wow the free DLC is all sorts of bullshit.
Stupid poison swapping

I also don't know what I'm doing wrong with
Hinoka, everyone says she's an awesome unit but I've gotten her promoted to a Falcon knight with a forged steel naginata and her damage is pathetic, barely reaching 15 when I have other units like Corrin, Scarlet, Hana, Mozu, Silas who all easily hit 25s and 30s

Insolitus

Banned
a time gate in the dragon realm wouldve been a much better justification. Thats the kind of simple justification that you can just handwave no problem. With the way it is in this game its like they immediately had their kid and there were 9 months + fast forward realm time of ~18 years (whats that, like 18 months) between battles.

Time gate sending the new kids back wouldve been much easier to handwave and allow the mechanic to exist again just fine

Was this another localization error?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I see an awful lot of people bailing on Hard at Conquest 10. I can only recommend that you all stick with it. It's a roadblock, yes, but clearing it cleanly is one of the best experiences in the series, and it's a turning point where you pick up so much EXP and weapon levels with your party, and learn so much about the mechanics, that it doesn't get much harder from there. Finishing it is the point in the campaign where you have a good amount of class/weapon diversity in your party and also an emergent core of heavy hitters, both of which put you ahead of the difficulty curve as you move on.

- Observation: always checking skills and accounting for where the enemy AI might close in for a dual attack.

Something I will say very strongly in favour of Fates is this: with so much information on the table like guaranteed supporting attacks and the Dual Guard gauge, unlike past games (even easier ones, like Awakening with its same-turn reinforcements) I'm never made to feel like I've been screwed by RNG. Every mistake I've made has owed itself to poor observation. It's something you don't notice until you think about it, but it feels amazing.
Yeah, don't bail! It's so important to stabilize in that chapter and start farming kills. It's an extraordinary opportunity. Most of my people leveled up twice and everyone leveled at least once. It's just an important learning chapter.

Onward from that, I started working on Chapter 11. The Archers and Brutes I can handle, but those damn Ninja. I sent my tank up there to bait them and she just got Lunged all around the room, at one point even INTO the boss for that room. I'm trying not to use Camilla because she's an inefficient XP sponge. But maybe for backup. Need to get Moku leveled a couple of times so she can upgrade and become useful. Those Samurai are going to be an issue too.

I find during these soft reset a thons, I should dedicate a few of them to developing a solid opening strategy. Something with the least amount of RNG and damage taken. Bouncing around the Pair Ups is vital there.

Flandy

I just got Mozu in Conquest. Should I even bother using her? She's 3 levels lower than my lowest. This is my first Fire Emblem game so I don't really know if I should bother using the extra people I pick up

backlot

I just got Mozu in Conquest. Should I even bother using her? She's 3 levels lower than my lowest. This is my first Fire Emblem game so I don't really know if I should bother using the extra people I pick up

You'll have to invest time in raising her but she's basically the Magikarp of this game.

Luigi87

I dunno about others, but I'm liking Mozu.
In Birthright I reclassed her to Archer ASAP.
In Conquest I have still left her as a villager, but she's getting better.

Of course I fed her a lot of EXP during her paralogue to ensure she wouldn't be too far behind everyone (still didn't do quite as well as I could have).

Not worth it. In general, if a character starts out bad they're not worth it.

For real though, give 20+ levels, forges, and at least two seals to any character and they'll be as "OP" as Donnel, if not more so since his class pool sucks.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So is Gold on Conquest pretty much scarce? I feel like a
hoshido
pedestrian with little to no-funds, unless there's a way to grind gold that doesn't involve DLC?

backlot

For real though, give 20+ levels, forges, and at least two seals to any character and they'll be as "OP" as Donnel, if not more so since his class pool sucks.

It's true if you plan is to max out a bunch of characters. If you're just playing the game casually, Donnel and Mozu will gain stats at a faster rate than other characters. They'll probably be some of your best units for most a good portion of the game.

It's true if you plan is to max out a bunch of characters. If you're just playing the game casually, Donnel and Mozu will gain stats at a faster rate than other characters. They'll probably be some of your best units for most a good portion of the game.
If I give the same number of resources it takes to make Mozu good to, say, Selena, Selena will be stronger than Mozu and for much less effort.

Could you say the same for someone in Birthright?
Sure. Give Subaki the same investment and he will be a flying god of death. Mozu is arguably worse in Birthright because her one use in Conquest (being your only archer) doesn't matter when Takumi makes her incredibly redundant.

Rainy

Banned
in terms of a healer who i should be using, sakura or felicia? I'm on Birthright Chapter 12, just about to start it. I use Azama here and there but I usually just use him to build supports with Setsuna, after he reaches S i'll stop using him in chapters.

backlot

If I give the same number of resources it takes to make Mozu good to, say, Selena, Selena will be stronger than Mozu and for much less effort.

How does the EXP scaling work in this game? I'm pretty sure it took me less kills to get Mozu to level up than an average leveled unit.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Not worth it. In general, if a character starts out bad they're not worth it.
Is this your first Fire Emblem game?
He's still horrible in Lunatic (+), and is outclassed by literally everyone if you're going for Min/Maxing or an Apotheosis run.

I let Donnel have his time with Sully so Kjelle can get Galeforce, and then never use him again.
Donnel is one of the best non-child units in Awakening as far as I'm concerned.

Fun thing I found:
Any data saved on the extra data can be used in either the digital or retail copy. Wonder if having a Revelations save will let me own the digital version...

Top Bottom