• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

"If you're doing this one thing that 0.001% of players do that unit who is otherwise great is complete trash."

Sometimes it's more important to tell everyone that you're all about min/maxing and Lunatic+ than giving advice that's actually useful to the vast majority of players, I guess.

Brakke

Banned
Sure. Give Subaki the same investment and he will be a flying god of death. Mozu is arguably worse in Birthright because her one use in Conquest (being your only archer) doesn't matter when Takumi makes her incredibly redundant.

lmfao this whole time I thought Subaki was a lady. Subaki and Takumi need to cut their pony tails.

Is this your first Fire Emblem game?
My tenth, actually.

Have you tried playing on the hardest difficulty before? Donnel can't do anything that Robin/Chrom/the pegs/anyone else can do but they can do it much easier and do more since Donnel has no mount except for Bow Knight, poor 1-2 range, and the shittiest bases this side of Wendy.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I like to use all my units because then I get to see more supports which were better in Awakening than the main story. Don't know if that will be true in Fates.

It also allows you to better see how units grow over time. I think naturally some units will get more use because you don't have anyone else of their class (like Silas and Rinkah in Birthright), but just because a unit starts off great doesn't mean they'll stay great the more you play.
My tenth, actually.

Have you tried playing on the hardest difficulty before? Donnel can't do anything that Robin/Chrom/the pegs/anyone else can do but they can do it much easier and do more since Donnel has no mount except for Bow Knight, poor 1-2 range, and the shittiest bases this side of Wendy.
No, because I haven't tried it yet. Donnel is fine for a normal playthrough, which is what you're ignoring altogether.

My tenth, actually.

You missed the bliss of Donnel and Nowi, Nah is pretty much Lunatic Mode into Easy Mode.

Luigi87

Fun thing I found:
Any data saved on the extra data can be used in either the digital or retail copy. Wonder if having a Revelations save will let me own the digital version...
Yeah the Extra Data saves to the SD card, so if you remove that or format it you would love the saves.

Pau

I wish Sabuki was a flying god of death. I really liked the idea of having a male Pegasus Knight but his level ups have been so abysmal I've had to bench him for now. :(

Neoweee

"Did you know thing that you think is hard is actually really easy?" - Person that has played the series for hundreds of hours.

Is this a Fire Emblem thread or a Souls thread?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I wish Sabuki was a flying god of death. I really liked the idea of having a male Pegasus Knight but his level ups have been so abysmal I've had to bench him for now. :(
I think you mean "Sky Knight".
smh, can't believe people stupidly get mad about that.

Sure. Give Subaki the same investment and he will be a flying god of death. Mozu is arguably worse in Birthright because her one use in Conquest (being your only archer) doesn't matter when Takumi makes her incredibly redundant.

never really saw her as your only archer considering you get Niles like one to two chapters after she becomes available and bows aren't needed until like chapter 10

maybe more like a back-up archer but still a waste of time

You missed the bliss of Donnel and Nowi, Nah is pretty much Lunatic Mode into Easy Mode.

Meh, I have Robin marry Nowi, why limit yourself to one powerful Manakete child when you can have two?

My main reason is because Nowi has one of my favorite romantic supports with Robin, some powerful kids are just icing

Hugstable

Banned

Yeah my stat on Subaki have been straight up terrible so far, don't know if he's always like this or I am getting screwed by the RNG. Need to keep grinding him up for supports with Hinoka though, then I'm just gonna have Hinoka out there for my flying needs. Subaki pretty much does very little damage to everything.

Yeah my stat on Subaki have been straight up terrible so far, don't know if he's always like this or I am getting screwed by the RNG. Need to keep grinding him up for supports with Hinoka though, then I'm just gonna have Hinoka out there for my flying needs. Subaki pretty much does very little damage to everything.

I did the same on my brithright playthrough but I will say by the end Hinoka had shitty str as well and I really only used her as a pair up unit to move quickly across the map >.>

Anbec7

Got my special edition today wuu!
Any newbie tips with not a lot of spoilers? Since it's been a while since I played.
Of course I'm starting with Birthright and then Conquest.

Rainy

Banned
I find that I'm using Archers a lot more in this game (never used them in Awakening really) while I'm pretty much never using Mages here while I abused them pretty badly in Awakening.

Just leaving this here for the record
WVW69i7WSQcfbzw4rk

tfw you've spent like an hour and a half clearing chapter 25 and Ryouma is going to easy ORKO the boss but then the boss hits at 21% and procs Vengeance.

I don't know whats going wrong but Kana has a higher Mag than Str and Mag was my Avatar's bane stat...

Also FemaleKana is nowhere near as great as FemaleMorgan. I'm disappointed.

JoeFu

Banned
Holy crap I finally beat chapter 10 on Hard. I just pretty much hoped and prayed on the final turn. No losses. The hard dream lives in.

Nohr Chapter 12 is just i cant lol. I forgot i had a turn limit.

I looked at the map and was like... 'Yeah thats a lot of enemies but if I take my time it'll be fine' then I read the win condition 'escape within 16(or something) turns' and my jaw just dropped. You also don't get to use
Elise who I had nearly gotten to level 20 to promote...
This is going to be fun!

This game must be crazy on hard mode, going to have to replay it at some point.

I don't know whats going wrong but Kana has a higher Mag than Str and Mag was my Avatar's bane stat...

Also FemaleKana is nowhere near as great as FemaleMorgan. I'm disappointed.

WHo was the mother? Both parents are taken into account for kids, and Kana has a naturally higher magic base stat than strength

WHo was the mother? Both parents are taken into account for kids, and Kana has a naturally higher magic base stat than strength

Selena. So it shouldn't be her fault? Are child stats still calculated the same way in this game? I've not looked into minmax equation stuff since i'm saving all that for Revelation.

Selena. So it shouldn't be her fault? Are child stats still calculated the same way in this game? I've not looked into minmax equation stuff since i'm saving all that for Revelation.

Actually I wasn't completely right, since I ignored the class base stats, which favor str. And Selena isn't a magic character, so I have no idea why it'd happen that way

Good suggestions for Avatar build? What stats to choose, what secondary job is good?

I would probably like to go physical over magic if it isn't a much worse option for any reason

Ala Alba

Good suggestions for Avatar build? What stats to choose, what secondary job is good?

I would probably like to go physical over magic if it isn't a much worse option for any reason

Physical is pretty good.

Ninja is also pretty good, and they use physical damage, so no worries there. Cavalier can also be useful, or Oni Savage, or many others.

Ok so having played the first half of Birthright I wanted to share some thoughts on the game.

First of all, I like it a lot, definitely an overall improvement from Awakening. The game's cutscenes as well as in-game scenes are great and the world itself has much more variety and life to it that I couldn't help but instantly like it more than it's predecessor. The combat animations are great, as well as most of the map design (snow level I'm looking at you). Also, the changes on the weapon system made things interesting, though I can't say it's all good or bad, it's different and it will take some time to get fully accostumed to it.

Now, about the things I don't like. I'll leave the localization aside, as it has been amply discussed, as well as some of the voice acting (yes, I think Felicia's voice sounds weird, as well as some others, but that would be nitpicking). I think that the only thing so far that I really don't like is the children's mechanic. In Awakening it made sense because of the whole time travelling stuff, but in Fates it's just plain out weird. It doens't make sense at all, and it's not even something I can overlook after thinking about it for some time. I'm a guy who can overlook some plot holes when he's enjoying something, but this I just can't. It has so many plot holes it's ridiculous. The only thing I'm grateful of is that, at least until now (I'm at chapter 13) it's totally optional and not strictly plot related (again, not like in Awakening where you had Lucina telling you other children came back to the past, so it was kind of a major deal having to recruit the children, even if it was optional, for plot sake). So I guess I'll just not get the children, or at least not focus on them so much because I think their parents are already pretty interesting and likable characters. I actually wouldn't have minded children not being at all in the game, since the main cast is actually pretty solid. I hope IS doesn't return to this feature unless they can back it up in the right way, maybe doing a game with generations of characters, like in Genealogy of the Holy War.

That aside I'm really enjoying the game and I'm taking my time with it. I bought the SE so I have a lot of game left to play. I'm looking forward to it.. Definitely one of the must haves in the 3DS library.

Shun

There aren't that many mages/casters in this game in general.

There is more than enough magic user in this game what.

Except there are only like 3 or 4 worth using.

Vantage/Vengeance/Warp + 50-70% critical chance depending on the magic and skill on enemy turn? Good luck with surviving that.

Physical is fantastic for Avatar. The main recommendation is generally either +str/-luck or +mag/-luck depending on how you want to play them. Magic is good for dragonstones and (if you're playing Nohr) Spells, while strength is good for the yato. It is worth noting that the Yato has a special benefit on the last boss that you might not realize ingame if you didn't already know.

As for class, which route are you playing?

Top Bottom