• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

Getting more discouraged, spent all the May mission orbs and still nothing. Last time I got a character from a banner was Jaffar ages ago.

Which means I have to keep using a less than stellar unit in arena. I've got Anna and Sharena to 4* 40 but would rather spend feathers on fun stuff like building horse Emblem then 5* them.

Sushen

So strong red, strong blue mage and a dancer will work just fine with that start.
I think, one thing nice about pulling so many times is that I have enough variety of units to cover different grounds for the most part, this case included.

With horse emblem flier emblem, armored emblem and so on, IS wants those extremely strong teams to drive the meta, not any single op units, which sounds more fun to me. In that sense, I've got ways to go to figure out my ultimate team.

lt519

I think, one thing nice about pulling so many times is that I have enough variety of units to cover different grounds for the most part, this case included.

With horse emblem flier emblem, armored emblem and so on, IS wants those extremely strong teams to drive the meta, not any single op units, which sounds more fun to me. In that sense, I've got ways to go to figure out my ultimate team.

See I feel like I've got an ultimate team, a few of them in fact, I just have no reason to ever use them because arena always requires some bonus unit I don't have or don't want to use. My ultimate team cleared the 15 10 stratum quests without losing a single character, they were 15 of 15. So I get to use them 3 days a month. Once for the monthly quests and for each GHB.

Mupod

So with Xander I now have a strong enough foundation to build Horse Emblem.

I've got Reinhardt, Titania, and now Xander, any ideas for a good fourth member?

My options are: Eliwood, Jagen, Frederick, Gunter, Clarine, Ursula, Cecilia, Abel, Cain.

Leaning towards Ursula or Cecilia and slapping a blade tome on them.

I'd go with blade tome Cecilia or Ursula. Either would work, depends on if you think you'll meet more reds or blues. I feel like Ursula is a better unit but reds aren't as common or threatening as they were. Reinhardt is garbage defensively though, so Ursula could more effectively deal with taking a hit from a red mage here and there.

Yesterday I mentioned that I was thinking of a similar team (Xander/Ursula/Titania). I said that if I found a bad Hector and a good Titania I'd give her distant counter to be the ultimate Reinhardt/Olwen/Linde deterrent. Well, I found a bad Hector right after I said that...so we'll see. Ike's banner is up for quite a while, still.

The thing is, the reason I was thinking of that team is that they'd be able to easily carry any bonus unit in the arena to a half-decent score. I'd only use them if I wanted a no-stress run and didn't care about getting a great rating. So a fourth cavalry unit doesn't actually matter.

Another alternative would be a dancer, especially if you're an asshole and put it with Reinhardt on your horse emblem defense team.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I was so happy to have a 5* bonus unit that I forgot about Xander. Got 4790ish for the first time. I'm going to put a C skill on Hana and try again.

Also, this is a good reason why it might be nice to have a unit who can tank Reinhardt:
wF4ncB2.jpg
These two were stuck in an endless loop where Ephraim would move two spaces forward, then Reinhardt would Reposition him back. They did this over and over for more than a dozen turns, with me moving units all over the place trying to bait them out of position.

I almost gave up until they finally moved differently and I was able to go in for the kill. I still almost screwed it up because my units were so awkwardly positioned by then that I almost couldn't attack Reinhardt.

evangd007

Finished Xander Lunatic in one attempt with Ike, Rein, Sharena, and 4* CorrinF. Ike and Corrin did the heavy lifting. Rein only attacked the lance once, and could be replaced with any strong blue or green mage. Sharena gave out buffs.

Blue dragons are really strong for this GHB.

Roman

I think this -Spd Ryoma broke my spirit. Every 5* red sword I get is -Spd. It's like the game knows

I have -Spd Ryoma, Takumi, Sakura, Subaki and Hana. It's officially a collection now.

Still looking for -Spd Hinoka, Hinata and Setsuna, but it's only a matter of time.

Mupod

I was so happy to have a 5* bonus unit that I forgot about Xander. Got 4790ish for the first time. I'm going to put a C skill on Hana and try again.

Also, this is a good reason why it might be nice to have a unit who can tank Reinhardt:

These two were stuck in an endless loop where Ephraim would move two spaces forward, then Reinhardt would Reposition him back. They did this over and over for more than a dozen turns, with me moving units all over the place trying to bait them out of position.

I almost gave up until they finally moved differently and I was able to go in for the kill. I still almost screwed it up because my units were so awkwardly positioned by then that I almost couldn't attack Reinhardt.

my problem is I assumed Hector+Fortify Res could easily handle him. And he can, but I've had some VERY close calls when hone cavalry has come into play. It's honestly disturbing how often I run into +atk, death blow 3, heavily merged Reinhardts.

Olwen would be an even bigger threat in the hands of someone with infinite resources, but she can't survive Hector's eye lasers and I've actually never seen her in arena.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finished arena run at 4818. I put so many resources into Ike... and, out of my 28 enemies, he killed... 1. I just don't see a lot of green that Julia isn't better at killing (mages and Hector, green melee are so rare to see otherwise), and as for red, my TA Nowi beats all red without taking much damage. I would say Nowi and Julia killed 22 of the 28, with Hector getting the other 5. I have to say, though, that Ike saved the whole run by taking out a Hector without taking any damage. I didn't have an answer for Hector otherwise because running multiple green mages is a thing for some people, and Hector and Julia had to each take one out at great cost.

When the Julia banner comes, I would advise folks to put some orbs into it. She just crushes in the current meta like no one else.

Olwen would be an even bigger threat in the hands of someone with infinite resources, but she can't survive Hector's eye lasers and I've actually never seen her in arena.

You may soon :) My Olwen is almost ready to roll. Been grinding her up the last few days. Planning on a blade Cecilia/Olwen/Rein/Xander arena defense team.

Mupod

Finished arena run at 4818. I put so many resources into Ike... and, out of my 28 enemies, he killed... 1. I just don't see a lot of green that Julia isn't better at killing (mages and Hector, green melee are so rare to see otherwise), and as for red, my TA Nowi beats all red without taking much damage. I would say Nowi and Julia killed 22 of the 28, with Hector getting the other 5. I have to say, though, that Ike saved the whole run by taking out a Hector without taking any damage. I didn't have an answer for Hector otherwise because running multiple green mages is a thing for some people, and Hector and Julia had to each take one out at great cost.

When the Julia banner comes, I would advise folks to put some orbs into it. She just crushes in the current meta like no one else.

yeah if I was using Julia I wouldn't have had a dire need of Ike. I do think it's funny that after I got him I stopped seeing Nino+Julia teams.

I haven't met a Hector that Linde couldn't take out once she's in desperation range but that red sword safety net can be nice. Never know when you might meet that one cheeky fucker who put B Tomebreaker on him.

You may soon :) My Olwen is almost ready to roll. Been grinding her up the last few days. Planning on a blade Cecilia/Olwen/Rein/Xander arena defense team.

I thought about facing that team on the bridge map and threw up in my mouth a little.

If they aren't all +5 I won't ever see em though. And that's the problem, people HAVE done that and I get matched against that shit. I know they tweaked how much BST matters in matchmaking but it still gets weird sometimes.

Weebos

Banned
I'd go with blade tome Cecilia or Ursula. Either would work, depends on if you think you'll meet more reds or blues. I feel like Ursula is a better unit but reds aren't as common or threatening as they were. Reinhardt is garbage defensively though, so Ursula could more effectively deal with taking a hit from a red mage here and there.

Yesterday I mentioned that I was thinking of a similar team (Xander/Ursula/Titania). I said that if I found a bad Hector and a good Titania I'd give her distant counter to be the ultimate Reinhardt/Olwen/Linde deterrent. Well, I found a bad Hector right after I said that...so we'll see. Ike's banner is up for quite a while, still.

The thing is, the reason I was thinking of that team is that they'd be able to easily carry any bonus unit in the arena to a half-decent score. I'd only use them if I wanted a no-stress run and didn't care about getting a great rating. So a fourth cavalry unit doesn't actually matter.

Another alternative would be a dancer, especially if you're an asshole and put it with Reinhardt on your horse emblem defense team.

Leaving the fourth member open sounds like a good idea. I do have a Ninian that I could build out.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I got 4-Star Xander by baiting his team with Ike, who took a hit from the blue knight and another from the green mage, counter killing the green mage (+HP/-DEF in the house!), then Hector and Reinhardt destroyed everything else.

Akuun

my problem is I assumed Hector+Fortify Res could easily handle him. And he can, but I've had some VERY close calls when hone cavalry has come into play. It's honestly disturbing how often I run into +atk, death blow 3, heavily merged Reinhardts.

Yeah, a strong Rein can stop a run cold, especially when paired with a dancer. That brave blue tome is just bullshit strong.

That's why I want Julia or a green who can tank him to round out my team.

Ninferno

Tested my new arena team for the week with Reinhardt + Hector + Azura (newly obtained, have given her WoM 3, Hone Atk 3, and Moonbow) + vanilla Hana and found myself competing quite comfortably at 686 ~ 694. Pretty much the same old Reinhardt with support from Azura kills nearly everybody, occasionally pulling off Kill-Dance-Reposition shenanigans. Hector mostly does nothing other than tanking and killing Ninos. Bunmilla is the real bitch here though, especially those with Axe Breaker; these sneaky bastards just knew you would want to use Hector to tank her. And Hana's paper-thin Res resulted from L&D3 certainly makes me hesitant to let her take a hit from Bunmilla. Fortunately, in most cases I can use my dancer to dance her in for the kill. If not, I still have my ultimate kill card which is Reinhardt with his luna charged up from killing someone else.

Overall, quite an enjoyable experience. Oh, one more thing, using Hana to one-shot Hector never gets old:)

Sterok

Used Tharja to obliterate sword fighter and green pony mage. Nino blew up lance fighter. Lucina murdered healer, swordbreakered Xander, then finished him off.

If I got another Hector the urge to go Armor Emblem would be too strong. Putting distant counter on Zephiel as well as Ward Armor. Effie with fortify armor and Hector with another award Armor. Ninian driving them with Hone attack.

Shito

If I got another Hector the urge to go Armor Emblem would be too strong. Putting distant counter on Zephiel as well as Ward Armor. Effie with fortify armor and Hector with another award Armor. Ninian driving them with Hone attack.
Does not compute! :D
I so want to pull a Hector to run a Hector / Effie / Sharena / Zephiel team... ^^

What would be a decent "let's make her the least dead weight for arena possible without spending feathers" build for 4* Hana? Right now I gave her Brave Sword on top of her regular L&D2 and the rally skill she has. Not a single point has been spent on Obstruct, that skill on her is just "why". She'll probably end up as a +2 so sp grinding shouldn't be much issue.

explodet

I got 4-Star Xander by baiting his team with Ike, who took a hit from the blue knight and another from the green mage, counter killing the green mage (+HP/-DEF in the house!), then Hector and Reinhardt destroyed everything else.
No Ike for me, but Roy (5*) was able to take the hits from the red sword while taking 0 damage from the green cav tome.

Then Bunny Camilla killed the lancer and Nowi wrecked Xander.

This time around, Roy was indeed Our Boy.

Mupod

What would be a decent "let's make her the least dead weight for arena possible without spending feathers" build for 4* Hana? Right now I gave her Brave Sword on top of her regular L&D2 and the rally skill she has. Not a single point has been spent on Obstruct, that skill on her is just "why". She'll probably end up as a +2 so sp grinding shouldn't be much issue.

Ruby Sword and Reposition or Draw Back. When Selena was a bonus unit she worked fine for me at 4* just staying out of harm's way, repositioning allies and occasionally dealing with a green.

Depends how much you wanna invest but a fortify/hone skill in her C slot would give her more utility. Might as well leave the other slots with stuff in them for more points.

Ninferno

I think I might have overestimated red distant counter too and would like to backtrack a bit now. I was about to send my last Hinata to the death row but I think I'm going to conserve him for now. While Fury 3 will objectively make Ike better, I don't think I can make too much mileage out of him tbh. My Ike is + Atk so Heavy Blade should work out quite nicely for him as well. I think the logical thing for me to do is to settle with HB for now, keep my precious strategic Hinata reserve in case someone awesome shows up later (please let that someone be Celica I beg you IS). If I'm lucky enough to pull another Hinata later then maybe I will have the luxury to sacrifice him for Ike, if not, Ike's got to settle with his Heavy Blade for quite some time, maybe even eternity.

Mupod

fury/vantage/moonbow is strong but yeah I think Heavy Blade is a really cool skill to play around with.

I've actually thought about trying Miracle with it, but Luna works so perfectly with Heavy Blade that I haven't felt the need to switch it off.

and yes I'm experiencing the Hinata drought myself. I was never expecting to find a Ryoma and Azura. I want to set up a Tharja too.

Ruby Sword and Reposition or Draw Back. When Selena was a bonus unit she worked fine for me at 4* just staying out of harm's way, repositioning allies and occasionally dealing with a green.

Depends how much you wanna invest but a fortify/hone skill in her C slot would give her more utility. Might as well leave the other slots with stuff in them for more points.

Roy is already in the team so Ruby Sword feels redundant and even counterproductive. I have so many Selenas that I might as well give her Reposition tho.

Pejo

Man, I wish every team was as much of a joy to level as a vantage trio team of Hector/Ryoma/Reinhardt. You just park Ryoma/Hector in danger's way and then pick off any survivors from the enemy team with tiny hands.

OVDRobo

Managed to destroy Xander on both 4* and 5* pretty handily. Took 3 tries for both clears. Ike did most of the heavy lifting, taking out the red sword (with Olivia's dance) and green mage with a distant counter on the first turn. Hinoka swooped in and killed Xander in one turn then Raven and Ike did mop-up on the blue unit and healer.

Did a pull afterwards with 9 orbs on the hero fest banner. I thought the game was trolling me again when it gave me a 5* Lilina instead of Hector for the second time in a row, but...

Not a bad use of 9 orbs.

spiritfox

Managed to destroy Xander on both 4* and 5* pretty handily. Took 3 tries for both clears. Ike did most of the heavy lifting, taking out the red sword (with Olivia's dance) and green mage with a distant counter on the first turn. Hinoka swooped in and killed Xander in one turn then Raven and Ike did mop-up on the blue unit and healer.

Did a pull afterwards with 9 orbs on the hero fest banner. I thought the game was trolling me again when it gave me a 5* Lilina instead of Hector for the second time in a row, but...

Not a bad use of 9 orbs.

That father daughter combo.

Akuun

Tested my new arena team for the week with Reinhardt + Hector + Azura (newly obtained, have given her WoM 3, Hone Atk 3, and Moonbow) + vanilla Hana and found myself competing quite comfortably at 686 ~ 694. Pretty much the same old Reinhardt with support from Azura kills nearly everybody, occasionally pulling off Kill-Dance-Reposition shenanigans. Hector mostly does nothing other than tanking and killing Ninos. Bunmilla is the real bitch here though, especially those with Axe Breaker; these sneaky bastards just knew you would want to use Hector to tank her. And Hana's paper-thin Res resulted from L&D3 certainly makes me hesitant to let her take a hit from Bunmilla. Fortunately, in most cases I can use my dancer to dance her in for the kill. If not, I still have my ultimate kill card which is Reinhardt with his luna charged up from killing someone else.

Overall, quite an enjoyable experience. Oh, one more thing, using Hana to one-shot Hector never gets old:)
I find putting Drag Back on Hana helps keep her safe. She can run in, oneshot someone and then someone else can pull her back on top of the free space from Drag Back.

I ran into a team of three Hectors and one Takumi this morning, and Hana made quick work of the Hectors.

Xander just dies to mages.
It's why I think he will be most at home on a horse Emblem team that runs fortify and hone Calvary. Problem with Horse Emblem is that you just can't get an optimal arena score.

If he isn't in a horse Emblem team I think running a unit with fortify or rally resistance would be best. With fury and a res buff he would get up to 24 res and 51 Atk.

Akuun

never used wings of mercy. do you get to take an action after warping?
Yes. You can't move after warping, but you can take an action. The skill effectively increases your available movement squares.

That's why it's great on dancers. Warp to someone you normally can't reach, then dance them.

I'm toying with giving Reposition to Palla in my Flier Emblem project team so that she can warp to someone and Reposition them to safety.

Roman

I have been waiting at least three weeks for this, but now I am almost done creating the absolute monster.

You might think 51 Atk, 27 Spd and sad 20 Res are bad on a Vantage bait unit - and you would be correct.

However, with Hone and Goad this becomes 61 Atk and 37 Spd. He can destroy entire maps by himself once he gets into Vantage range, which Fury helps with.

He has now instantly become my flagship unit.

Mupod

Who is better for a horse team, Gunter or jagen?

both suck but at least Jeigan has monstrously high Res so you can use him as mage bait. It's better to give their hone/fortify abilities to someone good.

now, I only use my cavalry team to mess around and do sidequests, so I run both along with Ursula and Stahl. But they don't do anything but cheer on Ursula as she kills everything with Blarblade.

at least their art is badass. If I had an Ogma I could use them with Zephiel for Manly Art Team.

Akuun

I have been waiting at least three weeks for this, but now I am almost done creating the absolute monster.

You might think 51 Atk, 27 Spd and sad 20 Res are bad on a Vantage bait unit - and you would be correct.

However, with Hone and Goad this becomes 61 Atk and 37 Spd. He can destroy entire maps by himself once he gets into Vantage range, which Fury helps with.

Nice. Remember to favorite him!

The bit about having higher speed with Hone/Goad sounds like a similar conclusion that I came to when I was theorycrafting Cherche. I'm considering using a +spd Cherche for my Flier Emblem team because I think that speed still matters for her, even with a Brave Axe. Every now and then she'll need to take a hit, and the speed boosts from Goad/Hone, plus the +spd nature, could keep her from getting doubled.

Roman

Nice. Remember to favorite him!

The bit about having higher speed with Hone/Goad sounds like a similar conclusion that I came to when I was theorycrafting Cherche. I'm considering using a +spd Cherche for my Flier Emblem team because I think that speed still matters for her, even with a Brave Axe. Every now and then she'll need to take a hit, and the speed boosts from Goad/Hone, plus the +spd nature, could keep her from getting doubled.

That indeed sounds like a solid idea, however if you are looking for a green flier that is deadly during both player and enemy phase, I highly recommend Minerva.

Akuun

That indeed sounds like a solid idea, however if you are looking for a green flier that is deadly during both player and enemy phase, I highly recommend Minerva.
I don't have Minerva, unfortunately.

I was thinking a +spd Cherche with Brave Axe+ and Triangle Adept 2 (I'm not killing Roy, man). My reasoning is that while +atk Brave Axe+ Cherche with Death Blow kills almost everything, that assumes she's operating in a vacuum, and not as part of a team.

In a Flier Emblem team, I don't need a cannon who can brute force everyone through type disadvantages because I have units of other colors to kill reds and greens. Instead, I need Cherche to fill a few key functions as the only green unit on my team:

- ORKO blues, especially strong ones like Effie and Nowi
- Tank and kill blue mages like Reinhardt and Linde

I felt that Triangle Adept worked best for that because it lets me keep Cherche's naturally high attack while letting her tank strong blue magic despite low res, and it only costs the A skill slot. She won't hit as hard as Deathblow +atk Cherche, but she'll still hit hard enough to take out those key threats, and she'll be more durable too, thanks to TA and +spd nature. I think it adds up to a package that has a lot more utility in my team.

She'll still be played primarily to be useful during player phase, but I still need her to be able to take a blue magic hit now and then to bait blue mages.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I'm undecided between QR and Vantage.

Roman

I'm undecided between QR and Vantage.

I've also been thinking about that all day. What tipped the scales (!) was the thought of how mage heavy the meta is. If it was full of (bulkier) Archers, QR would be better. The way it looks now QR would only be useful once during the battle in most cases - Fury also actively works against it. On the other hand Vantage is actually made better with Fury, and Vantage by itself can win the game once you are in range, no matter how many enemies are left.

Not to mention QR losing quite a bit of its luster once you hit a range of 37 (38 with a seal) speed.

Sushen

I was thinking that if I spend more than 2000 feathers to setup a unit that I will never use after the arena, I'm making a negative feather trade. I'd rather sit out in that turn by not having a bonus unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom