• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

champloo

it increases def/res by 30%

It's a 30%reduction to all damage. So for some characters around 30 defense or Resistance that would result in 10 less damage.

Squatting Hector and Nowi on those tiles is pretty awesome. Also great that the enemy AI doesn't take great advantage of them as they can be baited to move out of the tile.

TA3 Xander on a tile in this current red and green meta is great.

Oh..so for units with lower base defense, these tiles are less effective. Hmm.. my Sheena already has 36def&res without any skill, wonder if I can do something to make her practically unkillable on a defense tile.

Terrain effects are nice. Non-TA'd units might stand a chance against the -blade meta now.

*Runs calcs*

...Or not. Assuming worst case scenario of full-buffed +Atk Spring Camilla w/ Gronnblade+ and Death Blow 3 (Eff. Atk 70 vs reds), +30% Res isn't saving Ryoma from the one-shot, not without a buff or Fury anyway. Doesn't matter if it's neutral SCamilla either. >.> Suppose that highlights the importance of team synergy (or rolling TA).

Suppose I should stop rolling a TA'd defense team to make T14 harder for everyone. And train a damn dancer already. lol

Oh..so for units with lower base defense, these tiles are less effective. Hmm.. my Sheena already has 36def&res without any skill, wonder if I can do something to make her practically unkillable on a defense tile.

Ward Armor. Ward Armor everywhere. What's that, 62 Def for standing on a protective tile? 50 Atk reds would fail to deal damage to that. lol

Mupod

hopefully the damage calculator updates with a defense tile modifier.

won't have time to do any arena until later, but they should work to my team's advantage overall. I have a lot of close/distant counter units and I have at least one character that would still blow people up with 30% damage reduction.

spiritfox

5* Soren and Lilina. I just wanted Titania man.

Huh Lilina and Snacky has pretty similar stats. The only thing is that Snacky has a better tome.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
With these defensive tiles and the game throwing so many distant counter characters at you, building a team around turtling and letting people kill themselves on you is getting even more powerful.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
With these defensive tiles and the game throwing so many distant counter characters at you, building a team around turtling and letting people kill themselves on you is getting even more powerful.

That's been my strategy all along. All of my characters can counter from any distance, and it's been that way every week, save the weeks where the bonus unit can't.

Akuun

That's been my strategy all along. All of my characters can counter from any distance, and it's been that way every week, save the weeks where the bonus unit can't.
Yeah, that's my team too. Ryoma/Nowi/MRobin are all very good at bait-and-counter, though Robin just tanks melee instead of countering it. It's just going to be even stronger now. Maybe some of my characters will actually survive Rein!

I imagine that with the defensive tiles, skills like Drag Back may have more utility too, if you aren't in a position to bait the AI into walking off a tile.

This is all speculation, though. I haven't touched arena yet.

ggx2ac

It seems to have put me at tier 14 - I honestly don't remember what I was last week, so I'm assuming it just kept the tier everyone was in? I'm a week behind due to starting after launch, but I wonder if this will work out and allow me to jump up a couple tiers. Either way, even with a defense win this will be less feathers than I've been getting lately, although orbs are nice.

I'm very certain I was tier 13 last week because I got bumped up to tier 15.

Pejo

So it looks like its finally time to invest in Lightning Breath + for Ninian. Countering just got a huge buff with these defensive tiles.

OVDRobo

So much for the new arena matchmaking.

My last advanced match had a +8 Olivia, +8 Cecilia, +2 Reinhart and +2 Ike against my team of 3 level 40s and a 40+1.

What the fuck do you expect me to do in that situation, exactly?

I'm quickly starting to run out of patience for this game that locks key rewards for character progression behind an arena where the only way to win is to run one of around four compositions that utilise the most bullshit aspects of the game to either buff stats far past an acceptable threshold, make it so your team can move around the map far quicker than the speed of the enemy and attack at greater ranges, make your team almost impervious to damage and able to counter everything pre-emptively if they start taking damage (the new defensive tiles are really helping with this, too. Thanks!) or some mixture of the above.

Guess I'll have to SI the hell out of this Hector and join the crowd, but fuck this game for being balanced like this and that's without taking the matchmaking into account.

_Legacy_

So swapping Nowi for Azura did wonders for my team, only lost one unit during my arena run. Ended up at 4741. Very funny watching enemy units suicide against my Ike and Hector on the defense tiles. Azura and Linde made this very easy, probably the easiest arena run I've had in weeks.

Credit due to those of you destroying arena without a singer/dancer, I don't think my other team had the right setup to take advantage of the new tiles.

EDIT: Apart from the pony emblem and fliers teams of course.

Akuun

So much for the new arena matchmaking.

My last advanced match had a +8 Olivia, +8 Cecilia, +2 Reinhart and +2 Ike against my team of 3 level 40s and a 40+1.

What the fuck do you expect me to do in that situation, exactly?
Fighting merged units is pretty bullshit. I lost a perfect run last week on the very last fight because there was a +4 Reinhardt that survived my attack with 1 hp when he really needed to die that turn.

On one hand, I kind of like the challenge of taking on a team full of really strong units with my comparatively underpowered team. On the other hand, teams full of merged units can be really fucking bullshit in certain combinations. Merged Azura + merged Reinhardt is the bane of my existence.

It's also annoying how merging units is the only way to move up in arena after a certain point. I guess that's whale country, and I have no intention of joining whale country, so I'll just have to be happy sitting at the edge of it.

Mupod

Fighting merged units is pretty bullshit. I lost a perfect run last week on the very last fight because there was a +4 Reinhardt that survived my attack with 1 hp when he really needed to die that turn.

On one hand, I kind of like the challenge of taking on a team full of really strong units with my comparatively underpowered team. On the other hand, teams full of merged units can be really fucking bullshit in certain combinations. Merged Azura + merged Reinhardt is the bane of my existence.

It's also annoying how merging units is the only way to move up in arena after a certain point. I guess that's whale country, and I have no intention of joining whale country, so I'll just have to be happy sitting at the edge of it.

yeah the posts about a single +1 unit suddenly putting you up against +8 teams has resulted in me just sitting on the spare Hector I got last week. With the change to a percentage based ranking system I may be able to find a spot I'm happy in where I don't need to merge to compete.

my problem with facing massively merged teams is I play defensively, and rely on certain units to counter certain enemies. But after running into 35 speed Julias on a disturbingly regular basis I realized I had to have hard counters instead of, for example, using a same-color physical unit with distant counter and hone/fortify buffs to fight a squishy mage. But then this mage that normally has low defenses and crap speed suddenly can eat a hit and double you back.

There comes a point where you just can't overcome their stat advantage and it feels unfair. But I'm right on the verge where I can handle it pretty consistently by playing smart, using buffs, separating them from their own buffers etc. It can be tough but it's doable. If I went any further it might become impossible or at least very annoying and inconsistent.

She still managed to ORKO everything I faced so far, even with the defense buffs.

I certainly don't fear her as much anymore. TA3 Xander is quite fun at handling all the green units. I am still running into teams running two reds and or two greens and Xander just laughs them off. I don't fear flier teams much at all now either as they usually always run two greens.

BTW Renewal and Reciprocal Aid on Xander has worked great so far. He takes so little damage when on these defensive tiles it is easy for him to re-up Hector and Nowi, and his movement gets him to units in need easily and him out of dodge to recharge or avoid blues if needed.

Akuun

I'm still not convinced flier emblem is that good without Bunnilla. With flier emblem without Bunnilla, you're making a team that has no ranged options, no distant counter, and no magic damage in exchange for flier buffs and better mobility.

I'm still gonna try, but I'm not convinced it'll be better than my infantry team.

I'm still not convinced flier emblem is that good without Bunnilla. With flier emblem without Bunnilla, you're making a team that has no ranged options, no distant counter, and no magic damage in exchange for flier buffs and better mobility.

I'm still gonna try, but I'm not convinced it'll be better than my infantry team.

Bunnilla makes the team for sure.

spiritfox

As a defense team I won't recommend it without S-Camilla, but if you have some movement skills you can make it work as an offense team. Especially if you managed to luck into bridge maps multiple times.

macklelol

Melee fliers is fine. Spring Camilla is great, but isn't necessary if you want to play a full flier team.

_Legacy_

Is Nino's reign finally over? :(

I think it's getting to that, I've barely seen any Ninos in arena, it's been mostly Julia. Ike has pretty much rendered Nino useless in arena, just bait and watch her suicide whilst taking barely damage. Although I guess than can be applied to any green mage facing Ike, maybe apart from Merric but I've never seen him in arena.

lt519

Didn't even know there were new special maps, blew through those pretty quickly. It'd be fun if they moved those to the training tower and the spawns/enemy types were random. Keep them spawning too if you bum rush.

On offense Nino is still extremely useful, but I haven't been getting defenses as of late and she's always in my group (i've tried everything with Olivia/Nino/Rein or Linde, and can't see to steal a win). My TA3 Robin blows up Ike/Ryoma, I might have to throw him back into the defensive mix as well.

Mupod

I just had time to do one arena match - it was a new map with defense tiles. But there doesn't seem to be a way to tell what is a defense tile...I'm not sure if the tiles with trees and stone walls give bonuses or not, they didn't seem to be as Hector was managing to hurt Ike. Got a little awkward dancing around them because I wasn't sure if Ike could one shot Nino standing in one, or if he could survive being doubled by her while in one. Went fine but yeah, need to play on these maps more.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I already have a defensive W with 572 pts. My team is Ike with his default kit, +HP/-Def with HP seal, Vantage Hector, +HP/-ATK, Deathblow 3 Reinhardt, +HP/-Def, and Neutral default kit Ninian. Not optimal IVs but all hella tanky. Especially on the defensive tiles.

Mupod

I went ike/azura/linde/nino for defense at first but I got like 15 defenses last week with Hector instead of Nino. I'll swap him in for a bit and see if he makes it happen.

I mean I personally don't see Hector as any sort of threat but I guess Vantage Hector can be a wipe for an unprepared team. Maybe the AI will waddle him into a defense tile too.

vctor182

Why sword breaker on mage? Most sword users won't counter distant attacks. I'm curious.

It's because Sanaki has a speed of 30 at most and can not double most sword units without it. I think only Ryoma and maybe Ike can survive because of their high attack

lt519

Speak of the devil, Olivia/Nino/Rein/Zeph got me a 574 win. Seems so random, some weeks I'll rack em up, some weeks I doesn't even seem like I get a sniff.

I mean I personally don't see Hector as any sort of threat but I guess Vantage Hector can be a wipe for an unprepared team. Maybe the AI will waddle him into a defense tile too.

If you run stock Olivia as your only real Red unit he can certainly catch you off guard. I wasn't paying attention and was letting Olivia have it out with him while everyone stayed back, got into a weird spot where they both had little HP left and anything I did was toast for my team. Thankfully Zeph was chillin in the corner and brought him in. But if you running a heavy mage team with only Olivia he can blow you up reallllly fast if you don't preserve Olivia's HP.

I think it's getting to that, I've barely seen any Ninos in arena, it's been mostly Julia. Ike has pretty much rendered Nino useless in arena, just bait and watch her suicide whilst taking barely damage. Although I guess than can be applied to any green mage facing Ike, maybe apart from Merric but I've never seen him in arena.

dunno I still see far more Julia/Nino than I'd like

elty

Azura build:

Special: Escutcheon (from Cain)
A: +3 SPD
B: Wing of Mercy (1/2 from Palla, 3 from Cain)
C: Hone ATK? SPD?

Theosmeo

If tharja has plus HP she moves to over 40 hp, and ardent sacrifice will no longer put her into desperation range

+hp is actively bad for her

Mupod

Azura build:

Special: Escutcheon (from Cain)
A: +3 SPD
B: Wing of Mercy (1/2 from Palla, 3 from Cain)
C: Hone ATK? SPD?

literally the same one I'm running right now, due to a lack of Fury.

I have hone attack on mine, but that's because of what I have on my other characters. I put hone speed on Hector because of my 4 characters he needs it the least, and as hone speed is rare for me (I only had one) I wanted it on someone I wouldn't replace. The only thing stopping me from giving her a variety of buffs to change around based on my team, is how much of a pain it is to farm SP on a dancer. I got her a decent amount during the double SP event though.

I will say I always forget I have Wings of Mercy. Even though Linde is usually running around with 1 hp as she murders everything. It's potentially really useful though, was nice for leveling Eldigan in particular since he moved fast and drained his own HP with Fury.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
nRugUS.png
I did it. It was a bit scary, but got bailed out my vantage Hector a few times. Kagero is just a monster.

Pulled about 30 orbs and luck was crazy and useless at the same time... Off banner Hector, my number 8(distant counter for everyone!). 5* Raven... Good to SI Brave Axe+ to that +ATK Cherche I will never get? Already had an extra Camilla for that. Finally, an average Bane/Boon Leo. Not sure what to do with him.

On another note, I lost many fights where I would have won if my Ryoma had Vantage 3. He's always at 1 HP from having it kick in. Never ever got a Lon'qu. I am fed up with this shit and I have 60k feathers. Can't believe I will have to spend 20k for Vantage 3.

Syntsui

Arena too hard with this shitty bonus characters (don't have Ike).

Edit: Scored 4,369 with a level 27 Felicia, I'll probably level up her with this 2x event.

explodet

Yeah, I'm finding this season particularly harsh.
Even though my last bonus character was a 4* -atk Cherche, that was cake compared to dragging a 4* Zeph's ass around only to have him get nuked by Linde.

It'd almost be easier to build up a 3* Felicia.

Mupod

huh I usually don't bother spending extra dueling crests until the last day

sometimes I get pissed off at an extremely bad matchup/ended run and burn through a bunch. Can be nice to just get it all out of the way so I don't have to think about it for the week.

but yeah I try to save mine even though I have 80-something.

Akuun

So my defense team has to have a bonus unit of the week to get more defense points?
I don't think defensive teams need bonus units.

But then, I don't really know how it works, since one defense win seems to give the same points as 10 defense wins.

Mupod

I don't think defensive teams need bonus units.

But then, I don't really know how it works, since one defense win seems to give the same points as 10 defense wins.

it was changed as of today. You need a bonus unit on your defense team to get the most points. One win is still all you need per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom