• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think I'll try that with the defense team. I haven't gotten any successful defenses yet.

It's true that armored units are becoming way more common. Probably also because some of these maps have forested tiles, which obviously mean nothing to armored units.

The map with 4 tiles in the middle is weird. I got it once, but I didn't trust my units' ability to withstand cavalry buffed units, so I made sure all fights took place with both attackers and defenders off the defensive tiles.

I think I'll get more used to them later.

Mupod

Well, armor units becoming more common is not surprising since we got Zephiel for free and a 5% Hector banner. I still don't see them as a threat because my team has extremely high damage and several options to deal with them. But there are definitely some good opportunities to have them on your offense team now.

Defensive tiles probably aren't going to be on every map in the rotation after this week, though.

How are people building Xander? Quick Riposte to cancel his poor speed or Vantage?

Quick Riposte is by far the most suggested as it helps offset his speed. I've been partial to using Renewal 3 with TA3 and Reciprocal Aid for when unfavorable matchups are remaining for him.

But I am in an extreme minority with that build, it's worked for me though.

Vena

I kinda have to wonder if Ursula with a Raven tome isn't actually a pretty good option parallel to MRobin as a TA3 tank. She doesn't have his bulk but she has a much large mobility pool and a very good speed/resistance to keep her from getting doubled.

I got Ike and Ryoma, but after leveling to 40 I still need 1500+ sp to get their builds how I want them.

The grind is real. At least I had most of the units I needed to give them the skills I want already.

I kinda like how the defensive tiles help counteract the oneshot-oriented meta. It makes more sense to have some sustainability in your units now.

Problem is the new maps have to be in rotation. So long as even one open field is in rotation, you'll still have to plan around meta comps.

I kinda have to wonder if Ursula with a Raven tome isn't actually a pretty good option parallel to MRobin as a TA3 tank. She doesn't have his bulk but she has a much large mobility pool and a very good speed/resistance to keep her from getting doubled.

Cecilia with 22 Def has been doing fine for me, honestly. Cavalry buffs push her Def to 28, which is just enough to take 0 damage from Takumi or any other 46 Atk lancer/archer/ninja. Ursula will have slightly less Def after buffs (25), but the damage you'd take is still laughable.

I went with Vantage but I think you'll see a lot of both. Either works. I use fury, so he's usually below 75% health pretty quickly.

Quick Riposte is by far the most suggested as it helps offset his speed. I've been partial to using Renewal 3 with TA3 and Reciprocal Aid for when unfavorable matchups are remaining for him.

But I am in an extreme minority with that pbuild, it's worked for me though.

Thanks. I'm debating taking him to 5* as I only have Erika as a 5* Sword and he's my best 4* candidate. Plus I like the idea of a counter team and have 5* Nowi and 2 Takumis ready to roll.

Mupod

So, there is little sense to mix fury with QR, isn't it? You'll be out of QR range fairly quickly.

in my experience, quick riposte is rarely good for taking more than one hit anyways. I do typically pair fury/vantage though as they synergize well.

Akuun

So, there is little sense to mix fury with QR, isn't it? You'll be out of QR range fairly quickly.
Fury with QR alone is because the defense+speed from fury makes you bulkier and harder to double, while the QR lets you hit back pretty hard.

You're right about it being a one-and-done deal on its own, but I like to run Reciprocal Aid on one of my units to bring units back into QR range if I want them to counter and kill another unit in the same mission.

Muramasa

the first hit he will take will be from julia/nino and push him out of qr range. so you want another reciprocal aid+vantage/desperation user to be viable

At the the moment i run sword breaker, but thats overkill. I think renewal and vantage are pretty good. With cavalry buffs he will be at a decent speed tier anyway.

I'm running vantage 3 on Xander but I'm questioning myself tbh. There are literally 60 more units he can kill with QR, and then when in Vantage range the only big difference is with green mages it seems.

Mupod

Every goddamn team has a Reinhardt now, and they are somehow all merged +atk death blow 3. Defense tiles are nice though, no more close calls for Hector. Haven't run into any maps where Reinhardt is problematic yet.

Unfortunately I did some math wrong and a Kagero lived with 1 hp, on top of that a defense tile on Ike isn't enough to stop her from doing 30+ damage to him apparently. Although I think that team was vastly over my level as it was going to give 694 points. The matchmaking is really bonkers this week. Either way, back up to 5 wins, hopefully I can break the top 5% for tier 14 with a score around 4800. Maybe slightly higher if I get 2 teams above 684.

Is there anything else other than Fury that you should run on Xander?

TA could be nice as an alternative if you plan to use him as an anti green mage. His res is so shit he'll probably still take damage but it'll guarantee a 1 shot. And he moves fast enough to stay out of range of blues.

Akuun

I feel like Rein is the most broken unit in the game. Hits harder than the top tier mages with no chance of counterattack, and ridiculous mobility on top of it. He's not even that fragile, either.

If you can't tank Linde/Nino/Julia/etc, you can at least zone them okay because they don't move that fast. But it's hard as fuck to do with Rein because of his movement, and he's harder to tank because of his brave tome too.

Muramasa

I'm running vantage 3 on Xander but I'm questioning myself tbh. There are literally 60 more units he can kill with QR, and then when in Vantage range the only big difference is with green mages it seems.
but...but what if the enemy running 3 green mages? it almost as if every team has some. even if you have at the end 1hp, a fortify defense 2 or a defense tile is enough to get 0 damage from hector.

C_j4u6EU0AAmGrw.jpg

+HP, -SPD. FUCK

I-I-I- can salvage her right!? A bulky green unit!! God, probably not. My Spring Chrom and 4* Anna are probably laughing at her right now.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thanks. I'm debating taking him to 5* as I only have Erika as a 5* Sword and he's my best 4* candidate. Plus I like the idea of a counter team and have 5* Nowi and 2 Takumis ready to roll.

I personally think he's the most useful red sword in the game. Besides being a really, really strong unit with counter, he also rides a horse, so he can be used for all those cavalry quests that come.

but...but what if the enemy running 3 green mages? it almost as if every team has some. even if you have at the end 1hp, a fortify defense 2 or a defense tile is enough to get 0 damage from hector.

Of course, it helps one shot the more common green mages...assuming no merges or buffed Blade tomes. Without Fury 3 and Vantage, he can live through that too assuming he has over 23 hp. Spring Camilla always lives tho.

This is all assuming no buffs on Xander.

I feel like Rein is the most broken unit in the game. Hits harder than the top tier mages with no chance of counterattack, and ridiculous mobility on top of it. He's not even that fragile, either.

If you can't tank Linde/Nino/Julia/etc, you can at least zone them okay because they don't move that fast. But it's hard as fuck to do with Rein because of his movement, and he's harder to tank because of his brave tome too.

So close to promoting my +res Nowi and merging her to replace my +def/-res one almost exclusively because of Reinhardt and all the other mages that are taking over right now. Just need this seasons feather payout. Resistance has been such an overlooked stat.

Muramasa

+HP, -SPD. FUCK

I-I-I- can salvage her right!? A bulky green unit!! God, probably not. My Spring Chrom and 4* Anna are probably laughing at her right now.
my condolences. But still a good unit with cavalry buffs and or breaker skills. she still has 31 speed. she would outspeed nowi with a small buff.

@xander spring camilla is always a problem. thats why i always run at least 2 cavalry together to buff each other. In the end b skill for him is more a choice of taste and team.

Sushen

May I summarize that for Xander it's either TA + QR or fury + vantage? I prefer Vantage but out of it, and probably set him up as green killer in the team. Hopefully not making a mistake as sp grinding is harsh.

Mupod

Got impatient and used one of my 80 bazillion crests, ended run with 4804, rank 717 in tier 14. I dunno if that'll hold in the top 2000, which it's saying is what I need to move up 3 ranks.

I can definitely get higher if I cherry pick high score fights. I'll use my remaining swords for the week doing that.

I did just notice that it updates your ranking instantly now, instead of once every few hours.

Seeing Raigh, Hana and Stahl are making me feel sick now. So many no Red Orbs too recently. Christ I just want one freakin Lon'qu, playing since day 1 and opened a lot of Reds. I will also never get a good Cherche, it's just stupid bad luck but EVERYTHING is Barst and Gunter. I get like 6-7 of those each for every Cherche.

This plus the ban rumors (played first day on Nox and never used it again) are making me feel very conflicted about the game. The money I spent in there going up in smoke for 1 day of Nox and no cheating would make me feel devastated. I did not know it was so frowned upon, my fault for not reading the terms I guess. Still, waking up banned one morning after they knew for so long and let me spend money is what would enrage me the most. There is other ways to go about this. I don't think it will happen but dumb stuff keeps happening to me so who the fuck knows...

Pejo

Well, I hate 5*'ing a unit just to feed them, but I reluctantly upped my Adult Tiki and fed her to Ninian. Team ranged counter is now nearly complete.

I looked at my set of 5*, and it looks like I have all my bases covered at this point for GHB's. Up next I'm going to flesh out a horse emblem and then flier emblem team.

Akuun

Got impatient and used one of my 80 bazillion crests, ended run with 4804, rank 717 in tier 14. I dunno if that'll hold in the top 2000, which it's saying is what I need to move up 3 ranks.

I can definitely get higher if I cherry pick high score fights. I'll use my remaining swords for the week doing that.

I did just notice that it updates your ranking instantly now, instead of once every few hours.
I'm just barely above 4800 this week too.

I screwed over my current run somewhat because I had equipped a level 1 skill on one of my units and forgot to switch him back to his normal level 3 skill before going back into arena. Ran into a bunch of noticeably easier matches until I caught the mistake.

Maybe I'll blow a crest or two after this run is done to see if I can do better.

Mupod

I'm just barely above 4800 this week too.

I screwed over my current run somewhat because I had equipped a level 1 skill on one of my units and forgot to switch him back to his normal level 3 skill before going back into arena. Ran into a bunch of noticeably easier matches until I caught the mistake.

Maybe I'll blow a crest or two after this run is done to see if I can do better.

I'm actually curious what a 4800-ish score gets you in other tiers, assuming you're not in tier 14 like me. If I can keep playing this game without merging I'll prioritize new banner units instead of rolling for a spare Linde. Mages banner should overlap with the (presumably Echoes) new one next week, so I'm holding off.

It's gonna be hard going back to arena without a 5* distant counter red or Azura. One's gotta go.

my condolences. But still a good unit with cavalry buffs and or breaker skills. she still has 31 speed. she would outspeed nowi with a small buff.

@xander spring camilla is always a problem. thats why i always run at least 2 cavalry together to buff each other. In the end b skill for him is more a choice of taste and team.
Training up a unit that is supposed to be speedy but has broken legs almost feels pointless.

+HP, -SPD. FUCK

You sure can. Due to Emerald Axe+, her -SPD nature isn't going to change any defensive match-ups aside from Anna and Minerva (she's going to lose to reds regardless of her nature).

I ended up teaching mine (+Res/-Spd) Darting Blow to great success.

Akuun

I'm actually curious what a 4800-ish score gets you in other tiers, assuming you're not in tier 14 like me. If I can keep playing this game without merging I'll prioritize new banner units instead of rolling for a spare Linde. Mages banner should overlap with the (presumably Echoes) new one next week, so I'm holding off.

It's gonna be hard going back to arena without a 5* distant counter red or Azura. One's gotta go.
I just checked, and unfortunately I'm also tier 14. 4806 and ranked 675.

Muramasa

Training up a unit that is supposed to be speedy but has broken legs almost feels pointless.
but thats what i always do (T____T)
i run -atk reinhardt, - spd(-atk now) Lucina and i have a 5* 40+2 nowi, because i had 2 bad 5* nowis and did upgrade a 4* to compensate that.

edit: and second acc has -spd linde.. thats the worst one.

Vena

Michalis laughs.

commish

I'm in tier 15. A score of 4836 has me at rank 1411 (out of 6253 in top rank of tier 15).

lt519

Fae has been fun in the arena, she can really take a beating from mages, especially having a +Res version. Still weak to physical attacks but with Renewal 3 she does alright. Need to grind out more SP for her to give her an A skill.

Now I'm debating going for 5* Xander or promoting a Tiki to give Fae Lightning Breath+. 5* Xander would be nice for the arena bonus score, but I'm pretty far away from full Pony emblem. I'd only have Reinhardt and Xander.

Edit: Reinhardt/Zeph/Fae/Olivia are having a field day right now in arena, total new team comp for me. I'm just sitting Fae and Zeph on defensive tiles to tank while Reinhardt and Olivia pick off people that stray. Just killed a Nino outright with a Reinhardt. Didn't know I could do that. Would be nice to swap Zeph with 5* Xander and run Azura instead of Olivia. Choices choices..

Sushen

5* Xander would be nice for the arena bonus score, but I'm pretty far away from full Pony emblem. I'd only have Reinhardt and Xander.
I have the same dilemma. My pony team needs significantly more investments before taking shape. I'll see what I can do with just 2 out of 4 members while Xander isn't even fully equipped.

As others have pointed out, the game provides you with a solution for this. If you choose not to use that solution, then I dunno... you don't have much room to complain. Besides, it "slows" the game down by fractions of a second for each move. I switched to this method of input and it's been great.
Implementing an undo button for movement would be beneficial for either mode of play. It's a valid suggestion IMO.

And considering that there's a much more far reaching undo option in Echoes, it shows that IntSys is at least open to the concept. (Obviously it can't be that forgiving here, but I think a more restrained version would work.)

Vena

I am serious, though. Just about every player has a free solution to Reinhardt short of it being +ed.

This assumes Michalis doesn't even get anything from his team (and likewise Reinhardt), the Distant Counter is just to show what happens on player phase. Reinhardt is deleted, Michalis is still up and, depending on how you've built him, potentially "online". Michalis also does not enable "Wings of Freedom" dancing shenanigans, even if he has DC and counters, he will simply outright kill Reinhardt.

Or you can just use Anna.

If you have a problem with Reinhardt, do what I did and use one of the solutions the game gives you for free.

Vena

I've never ever seen anyone use Michalis in the arena. I'm sure those people exist though.

🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️

Reporting. And I use it for that very reason.

commish

Implementing an undo button for movement would be beneficial for either mode of play. It's a valid suggestion IMO.

And considering that there's a much more far reaching undo option in Echoes, it shows that IntSys is at least open to the concept. (Obviously it can't be that forgiving here, but I think a more restrained version would work.)

I'm definitely not against an undo. Just saying what they've given us works pretty well if you give it a chance :) I used to misclick all the time and changing the input method stopped it.

I am serious, though. Just about every player has a free solution to Reinhardt short of it being +ed.

This assumes Michalis doesn't even get anything from his team (and likewise Reinhardt), the Distant Counter is just to show what happens on player phase. Reinhardt is deleted, Michalis is still up and, depending on how you've built him, potentially "online". Michalis also does not enable "Wings of Freedom" dancing shenanigans, even if he has DC and counters, he will simply outright kill Reinhardt.

If you have a problem with Reinhardt, do what I did and use one of the solutions the game gives you for free.

Eh, you can't really ignore the buffs, though. That's part of what makes Rein such a beast.

I'm definitely not against an undo. Just saying what they've given us works pretty well if you give it a chance :) I used to misclick all the time and changing the input method stopped it.
Well I'll probably have to start using it as it's really frustrating losing progress because of errors.

Still hoping we get an undo though.

evangd007

Well, -ATK certainly isn't going to do you any favors with Brave Lance+.

I use Sapphire Lance+ and Lancebreaker 3 to make the most use of her "bulky" stats with Fury 3 (which are 41HP/38+12ATK/35SPD/32DEF/24RES - 38 DEF / 30 RES after fortify fliers). She absolutely walls and murders almost every single red unit while Lancebreaker helps her deal with Blue Melee units if necessary. There are plenty of good options for her B-Skill, though

My concern with Brave Lance+ is that it puts her at 30SPD - meaning she ends up doubled by almost all speedy heroes. 35 gives her much more of a fighting shot since very few heroes can reach 40+ SPD without buffs (and the AI isn't complex enough to abuse positioning). Your Hinoka can reach 38SPD with Fury so that is even better.

Silver Lance+ is also an option but IMO Sapphire Lance+ has more value. Especially since Bunmilla outright deletes almost every non-red unit after +6/+6/+6/+6.

Well, I just SI'd QR1, Sapphire Lance, and Swap to Hinoka and Gronblade to Bunmilla to take flier emblem for a test drive. Let's see if Bunmilla, Hinoka, 4* Caeda (I need a second copy to SI Fortify to someone good), and bonus Ike can outperform my regular team.

Mupod

then you run into a +4 one with cavalry buffs and uh ohhhhhh. Wait, that's every one I see.

having done more arena this week I'm pretty confident about dealing with him now. Defense tiles and a res buffed Hector makes him easy, and his movement lets me draw him out of his team on turn 1. Still gotta work around whatever bullshit he comes in with though.

I was worried about facing a cavalry team on the map with all the crisscrossing bridges but it seems to make them turn stupid and split up in all directions. That was a real nasty looking team too, Rein/Titania/Gronnblade Cecilia and something else I forget.

xequalsy

You can also buff Michalis.

Eh, I see +'d Reinhardt all the time though. It's rarer to see non-merged units. It's not as easy to just say you can also merge Michaelis. Though yes, someone packing a Rally Resistance or something might be a good idea.

Akuun

True, you could bring Michaelis or another green to tank and counter Rein. He's definitely one of those units that's strong enough that you need to have a counter prepared for him, like Hector. Except Hector can't run across the map on the first turn and murder you as easily as Rein can. I'm not saying Rein is unstoppable but just that he's extremely strong - IMO possibly the most dangerous and relatively common unit I can encounter in arena right now. His brave tome + stats + horse makes him a very unique unit and dangerous in a way that no other unit is.

Michaelis works as you've shown, but I wouldn't be comfortable relying on him too much if he survives with only 1 HP, because of cavalry buffs and how sometimes you can face a team of all unmerged units one match and then run into a team full of +4s the next. You could buff your own green unit like you said, but Anna might be a better choice, just to have a little more room for error.

Rein is the reason why I talked about possibly raising a TA Cherche. The TA is mostly to provide more room for error. FRobin with TA works too, but she seems less useful in general.

I was worried about facing a cavalry team on the map with all the crisscrossing bridges but it seems to make them turn stupid and split up in all directions. That was a real nasty looking team too, Rein/Titania/Gronnblade Cecilia and something else I forget.
I think I ran into the same team as you, but on the map with the four defensive tiles in the middle. Rein/Titania/Gronnblade Cecilia/Leo. I tried to bait Leo with MRobin, but MRobin couldn't kill him on the counter, and then it turns out Rein had Wings of Mercy and flew in. Thankfully he hit Nowi, who tanked the hit and counter killed him.

Mupod

fortify resistance is an essential buff IMO. Fortify defense is the one I leave out of my team, I have no room for rally buffs as I use that space for movement stuff. I use it on Ike as he's Hector's battle buddy, reposition/pivot bros for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom