• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

Worth pulling on this new banner? I've got like 70 orbs stock piled but my team isn't necessarily in need of anything besides an Elise. Got another 40k feathers too, dunno what to even do with them. Horse Emblem kinda broke the game for me. I might just start promoting dupes to get +1 5* units at this point.

OVDRobo

Worth pulling on this new banner? I've got like 70 orbs stock piled but my team isn't necessarily in need of anything besides an Elise. Got another 40k feathers too, dunno what to even do with them. Horse Emblem kinda broke the game for me. I might just start promoting dupes to get +1 5* units at this point.

Three unremarkable reds on the same banner says no. I did one full pull and instantly regretted it.

IS has been giving out a lot of free orbs recently so I think something bigger might be coming.

Pejo

Pulled last night with 5 orbs remaining, and lucked out and got Bride Cordelia, and of course it's one of the worst IVs I could get +HP, -ATK.

God dammit. Not a single ideal IV out of all of my 5*'s.

So frustrating. Bane/boon is a shit system.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Three unremarkable reds on the same banner says no. I did one full pull and instantly regretted it.

IS has been giving out a lot of free orbs recently so I think something bigger might be coming.

Eh, I like some of the new skills. Panic Ploy seems pretty awesome for completely negating some of the potency of flier/horse teams. Attack ploy also not too shabby. Unremarkable but they are all pretty solid I think.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I have zero interest in this banner and don't really want to clean units out of my maxed roster of dupes at the moment. I guess I'll save my orbs for a banner that I like.

lt519

How's everyone looking that dropped into Tier 18 from 19 this week? I went down on purpose assuming it'd be pretty easy to get back into 19, keep those 4 orbs flowing.

At 4796 right now, two weeks ago 4806 got me to 19, so assuming people have been bubbling up my score now should be good enough.

Thanks for the responses, I'll sit tight on the orbs for now until I see something I want.

Sushen

Pulled last night with 5 orbs remaining, and lucked out and got Bride Cordelia, and of course it's one of the worst IVs I could get +HP, -ATK.

God dammit. Not a single ideal IV out of all of my 5*'s.

So frustrating. Bane/boon is a shit system.
I feel you bro. I was so disappointed by atk- Linde, but I managed to make her useful and she just hit 2000 hero merit. Good luck next time.

Mupod

Bad IVs aren't always a deal breaker. I've got a -atk +spd Eldigan who gets the job done. All his damage is from Bonfire and his -1 special weapon, with buffs his speed is actually pretty surprising (37 with just Hone Cavalry).

This -atk +hp Reinhardt is probably useless though...or at least better of as a Vantage for someone else.

Zafir

Bad IVs aren't always a deal breaker. I've got a -atk +spd Eldigan who gets the job done. All his damage is from Bonfire and his -1 special weapon, with buffs his speed is actually pretty surprising (37 with just Hone Cavalry).

This -atk +hp Reinhardt is probably useless though...or at least better of as a Vantage for someone else.

Depends on the bane and who you already have really - if you don't have much better already then you might as well use regardless. -SPD is devastating on most units mind you.

I pulled a -spd +atk Katarina, and I just don't see myself using her. With that bane she only has 31 speed at max level which is poor in comparison to a lot of the common place/top tier units. I'd still use my Tharja over her. =/

commish

I've been saying that for months. People put way too much emphasis on IVs. It makes a material difference only at the margins and only in specific circumstances.

Zafir

I've been saying that for months. People put way too much emphasis on IVs. It makes a material difference only at the margins and only in specific circumstances.

I mean it's still a shit system though. Adding extra RNG ontop of RNG in what basically comes down to gambling is pretty shitty.

It's not like it's balanced very well either. You want +ATK or +SPD in 99% of cases, so getting anything else just feels meh.

I mean, you're not wrong, but seeing my -atk Gronblade Bunilla barely not killing multiple times is quite frustrating =_=

lt519

A -atk Reinhard with cavalry buffs and DB3/Lancebreaker still basically obliterates everything on the map, especially when you have a dancer to accompany. You were already losing to most greens anyway so +/- ATK actually doesn't impact him much. It's ideal, but in practice it doesn't come into play often. But on the same side I'm not in top tier arena so I wouldn't know.

commish

I mean it's still a shit system though. Adding extra RNG ontop of RNG in what basically comes down to gambling is pretty shitty.

It's not like it's balanced very well either. You want +ATK or +SPD in 99% of cases, so getting anything else just feels meh.

I mean, you're not wrong, but seeing my -atk Gronblade Bunilla barely not killing multiple times is quite frustrating =_=

I agree, I don't like the system. I just don't want people to feel too discouraged if they don't get the "best" IV. The unit can so perform well.

Mupod

A -atk Reinhard with cavalry buffs and DB3/Lancebreaker still basically obliterates everything on the map, especially when you have a dancer to accompany. You were already losing to most greens anyway so +/- ATK actually doesn't impact him much. It's ideal, but in practice it doesn't come into play often. But on the same side I'm not in top tier arena so I wouldn't know.

well it's more a matter of do I want to waste 20k, promote this guy and use him until I find a better one, or just go with Ursula and eventually blow another 20k on improving her blade tome. I was hoping to do it soon as all this hero merit and SP is going to waste in tempest trial.

I generally like blade tome mages better, but I want to be a dick and put moonbow/quickened pulse on Rein.

lt519

well it's more a matter of do I want to waste 20k, promote this guy and use him until I find a better one, or just go with Ursula and eventually blow another 20k on improving her blade tome. I was hoping to do it soon as all this hero merit and SP is going to waste in tempest trial.

I generally like blade tome mages better, but I want to be a dick and put moonbow/quickened pulse on Rein.

I'm only 4k tempest points from my moonbow/quickened pulse/deathblow rein, it's going to be glorious.

I agree, I don't like the system. I just don't want people to feel too discouraged if they don't get the "best" IV. The unit can still perform well.

I agree that the IV system can be bullshit but the bolded is just wrong. Characters like Lyn, Nino and Reinhardt are basically crippled if they're -att or spd (latter does not apply to Reinhardt). That statement only applies if you have, say, a +Def - HP Ryoma. Sure it's not the best but his key stats aren't affected and he can still do his job. The same does not apply if he's -att or -spd since he wouldn't be able to kill/double units that he normally would otherwise. You saying a unit can perform well if they have a bane that cripples their ability to do what they're supposed to is inaccurate and misleading.

Draxal

I agree that the IV system can be bullshit but that bolded is just wrong. Characters like Lyn, Nino and Reinhardt are basically crippled if they're -att or spd (latter does not apply to Reinhardt. That statement only applies if you have, say, a +Def - HP Ryoma. Sure it's not the best but his key stats aren't affected and he can still do his job. The same does not apply if he's -att or -spd since he wouldn't be able to kill/double units that he normally would otherwise. You saying a unit can perform well if they have a bane that cripples their ability to do what they're supposed to is inaccurate and misleading.

Agreed here, while I don't think Nino is screwed (well a minus speed Nino is .... ugh but she'll out speed a lot of units), a minus atk brave user like Reinhardt is screwed.

The best example of the above was the +RES,-ATK Boey I pulled.

Boey's attack is already mediocre at best. That takes him down to 25!!! attack at max level. Not to mention his RES is probably one of the lowest for mages and even with a boon RES his res isn't even mediocre at 21 and still terrible. He becomes a green unit who literally can't do anything even against blue units.

So I have to agree, IVs are shit. They are an additional lottery onto top of another lottery. Bad IVs can turn a rare 5* unit to SI bait in the blink of an eye.

lt519

I'm with commish, IVs are overvalued. In a game where everything has a hard counter and a well balanced team can counter any unit, you can just abuse the AI and positioning to make up for any IV deficiencies.

Some people go hundreds of orbs without getting a 5* and I'm still dying to get a Hector, Ike, Ryoma, or Ninian. Getting a bad IV Hector would still immediately make him my best green unit.

The best example of the above was the +RES,-ATK Boey I pulled.

Boey's attack is already mediocre at best. That takes him down to 25!!! attack at max level. Not to mention his RES is probably one of the lowest for mages and even with a boon RES his res isn't even mediocre at 21 and still terrible. He becomes a green unit who literally can't do anything even against blue units.

So I have to agree, IVs are shit. They are an additional lottery onto top of another lottery. Bad IVs can turn a rare 5* unit to SI bait in the blink of an eye.

Would you use him even if he had a +ATK bane? Probably not. Point being that good units with bad IVs are still good units, just not S+ tier. My -ATK Linde does just fine.

Roman

I agree that the IV system can be bullshit but the bolded is just wrong. Characters like Lyn, Nino and Reinhardt are basically crippled if they're -att or spd (latter does not apply to Reinhardt). That statement only applies if you have, say, a +Def - HP Ryoma. Sure it's not the best but his key stats aren't affected and he can still do his job. The same does not apply if he's -att or -spd since he wouldn't be able to kill/double units that he normally would otherwise. You saying a unit can perform well if they have a bane that cripples their ability to do what they're supposed to is inaccurate and misleading.

Agreed here, while I don't think Nino is screwed (well a minus speed Nino is .... ugh but she'll out speed a lot of units), a minus atk brave user like Reinhardt is screwed.

Not to mention -Atk Brave weapon users like Est/Hinoka/Cordelia or -Spd Blade tome users.

Indeed, after doing countless calculations and debating hundreds of situations, I must agree that the quoted statement is simply untrue and misleading.

Juni_

Linde has very high atk, with an atk bane her atk is only 1 less than Nino which is still good, -spd would hurt her a lot more.

Zafir

I'm with commish, IVs are overvalued. In a game where everything has a hard counter and a well balanced team can counter any unit, you can just abuse the AI and positioning to make up for any IV deficiencies.

Some people go hundreds of orbs without getting a 5* and I'm still dying to get a Hector, Ike, Ryoma, or Ninian. Getting a bad IV Hector would still immediately make him my best green unit.

Would you use him even if he had a +ATK bane? Probably not. Point being that good units with bad IVs are still good units, just not S+ tier. My -ATK Linde does just fine.
The problem is as more and more units come out the IVs will mean more and more. We're getting more and more mages filling the upper tiers for example with stats becoming very close together, and speed is paramount to them.

I mentioned speed above because it's the best example of it. A speed bane or boon can mean the difference of being doubled by something or doubling it yourself. That's absolutely massive. Especially with the meta focused around such explosive units like blade tome mages, and Reinhardt.

As for -ATK, if you're against a unit with decent defense or resistance, I'm sure you'll be missing that attack when you're doing significantly less damage. Tempest should show you that much with their ridiculous defensive stats. Plus the aforementioned brave units which are focused solely around their attack.

Sure the HP, RES and DEF boons/banes probably don't matter as much in most cases, especially with how player turn focused the meta is at the moment (in most cases you won't want to be hit in the first places). -ATK and -SPD absolutely can matter though, and in some cases, can be absolutely crippling to a unit.

Pejo

I honestly wouldn't even mind if they did a bane/boon random reroll feature for like 5k or even 10k feathers. Make it something you have to decide to do instead upgrading other 4* units. There should be some way to retry without wasting more orbs rolling over and over on banners. It especially sucks for time limited units because you don't have the chance of getting them on a lucky roll 3 months later.

or finally put in evades and crits >_>

Draxal

Speed is very weird as the thresholds constantly change.

A minus spd nino is still very good because her speed is good enough and you should be using buffs with her anyway.

It only really hurts in mirror matches where you are facing a plus SPD nino, but eventually the higher go up in whale territory, the more it hurts as you will eventually face better natured characters.

Also, since there's no true pvp and the AI is pretty stupid with buffs, it hurts Nino less in mirror matches imho.

Speed is very weird as the thresholds constantly change.

A minus spd nino is still very good because her speed is good enough and you should be using buffs with her anyway.

It only really hurts in mirror matches where you are facing a plus SPD nino, but eventually the higher go up in whale territory, the more it hurts as you will eventually face better natured characters.

Also, since there's no true pvp and the AI is pretty stupid with buffs, it hurts Nino less in mirror matches imho.

No, she's not.

You can thankfully get her as low as 3* rarity, so players really have no reason to train one with a -SPD spread.

Arena's too competitive to be using SPD gimped Heroes that don't run Wary Fighter builds.

Draxal

No, she's not.

You can thankfully get her as low as 3* rarity, so players really have no reason to train one with a -SPD spread.

Arena's too competitive to be using SPD gimped Heroes that don't run Wary Fighter builds.

She'll have 32 speed; 36 speed after a speed buff and up to 40-42 with fury or life and death. Ai's pretty easy to abuse in this game.

Don't get me wrong it really sucks, but it won't nearly hurt as much as a minus ATK reinhardt.

Sushen

I think this is the key in this. Surely, we can work with units with bad nature getting challenges done and stuff.

When it comes to the arena, and even the tempest mode grinding, every time when your unit is 2-3 short of ohko/orko enemies and it screws up your match, you will feel the pain of whatever missing.

Meier

Swear to god, I have the worst luck with pulls outside of the Bridal event. Anyway, I am so annoyed at the super impressive cut scene when you get Robin only for on 3 separate occasions now him to be a fucking 3* version. So obnoxious..

Speaking of the Bridal event, I got two Lyns during it. What would people suggest I do with the second one? Is there a particular character you would suggest I have inherit her skills?

lt519

She'll have 32 speed; 36 speed after a speed buff and up to 40-42 with fury or life and death. Ai's pretty easy to abuse in this game.

Don't get me wrong it really sucks, but it won't nearly hurt as much as a minus ATK reinhardt.

And a -SPD Nino is still 100000x better than a Boey. If you aren't a whale you take what you get and use your best units, even if they have bad IVs because they are still better than everything else you have. And if you aren't a whale, you aren't in a place in the arena where IVs matter.

I don't get all this -ATK reinhardt is useless talk either. His prototypical build of Deathblow and Lancebreaker (not to mention Moonbow with Quickened Pulse now) and used with the correct allies is still a unit you can form a team around.

Quick numbers, a -ATK Reinhardt with DB3, LB3, Goad, and a Attack Seal goes 87-13-39. Add quickened pulse and moonbow, 104-9-26. Add a +2 hone attack, 114-7-18. Add a +4 Goad Attack instead of Hone, 121-4-14. Losses against Hector, Nino, Sorren and Merric. Run him in my horse emblem team with Goad and Hone Calvary, he's 131-0-8.

Far from "useless."

Edit: wasn't intended to be directed at you Drax, I just started with agreeing with you on Nino then went into a rant haha

I tossed what orbs I've gotten the past couple days at the new banner, didn't get any of the new ones but did get a 5* Corrin (M) in place of the Athena I was targeting. That plus 5* Marth and Selena, plus probably 5* Masked Marth means I'm set for sword infantry. May not bother with the banner any further and hold on to orbs for once.

I have 48k feathers to spend but also in no rush as things are going fairly well right now. Adult Tiki maybe and more likely Zephiel as I have no 5* armor and he rates high (but another sword, maybe 5* my early Effie).

Swear to god, I have the worst luck with pulls outside of the Bridal event. Anyway, I am so annoyed at the super impressive cut scene when you get Robin only for on 3 separate occasions now him to be a fucking 3* version. So obnoxious..

Speaking of the Bridal event, I got two Lyns during it. What would people suggest I do with the second one? Is there a particular character you would suggest I have inherit her skills?

Lyn's concept does make her unique relative to other healers but at the same time I wouldn't say there are many healers that you should give her skillset to. They either want Wrathful staff (like the horse healers) or have a worse statline than bride Lyn. I guess you could give it to Maria or something but again, why not just use Bride Lyn at that point?

OVDRobo

Decided to pull with all 80 of my orbs on the new banner. Not only because it was new but also because I have most of what I want and haven't pulled in what seems like forever.

dmu3vVa.jpg

Do

Not

Bother

Pulling.

Any word on if IS plans on removing some of the trash units from the pools at any point? Is that even a common thing for gacha games to do?

Draxal

And a -SPD Nino is still 100000x better than a Boey. If you aren't a whale you take what you get and use your best units, even if they have bad IVs because they are still better than everything else you have. And if you aren't a whale, you aren't in a place in the arena where IVs matter.

I don't get all this -ATK reinhardt is useless talk either. His prototypical build of Deathblow and Lancebreaker (not to mention Moonbow with Quickened Pulse now) and used with the correct allies is still a unit you can form a team around.

Quick numbers, a -ATK Reinhardt with DB3, LB3, Goad, and a Attack Seal goes 87-13-39. Add quickened pulse and moonbow, 104-9-26. Add a +2 hone attack, 114-7-18. Add a +4 Goad Attack instead of Hone, 121-4-14. Losses against Hector, Nino, Sorren and Merric. Run him in my horse emblem team with Goad and Hone Calvary, he's 131-0-8.

Far from "useless."

Edit: wasn't intended to be directed at you Drax, I just started with agreeing with you on Nino then went into a rant haha

No problem, here's the thing I have with what you said though.

If you get a minus ATK Reinhardt and can't afford to get a better one, its unlike that you will get a klein to get a deathblow 3 or a five star Arthur with Lancebreaker 3. Obviously you can drop it down to four stars to get get the 2nd rank, but it adds up.

Then you run into troubles getting quickened pulse in the first place (moonbow is pretty easy to get).

Getting L&D is a pita, but getting a Hinata or Shanna shouldn't have been as hard for fury/desp (common build for her).

Meier

Lyn's concept does make her unique relative to other healers but at the same time I wouldn't say there are many healers that you should give her skillset to. They either want Wrathful staff (like the horse healers) or have a worse statline than bride Lyn. I guess you could give it to Maria or something but again, why not just use Bride Lyn at that point?
Ahh, I got two of her! Sorry that wasn't clearer. It feels like it would be a waste to combine them.

Unrelated note, if you have a character you intend to use feathers on, is the consensus that it makes more sense to get them to 40 (or close to it) and then upgrade them? Or could you just do it at 20 right away without missing out?

Alucrid

Banned

If you get a minus ATK Reinhardt and can't afford to get a better one, its unlike that you will get a klein to get a deathblow 3 or a five star Arthur with Lancebreaker 3. Obviously you can drop it down to four stars to get get the 2nd rank, but it adds up.

Then you run into troubles getting quickened pulse in the first place (moonbow is pretty easy to get).

Getting L&D is a pita, but getting a Hinata or Shanna shouldn't have been as hard for fury/desp (common build for her).

hahahahaHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

you say that but i've yet to pull a single Hinata and only pulled one Shanna and i've been playing since launch and even put $40 into the game.

that said my +hp/-res nino with life and death 2 and desperation 2 has carried through tempest and up to tier 18 in arena. so it ain't all bad

lt519

Yeah, it's just an example that he's not "useless" because he's -ATK. Even if you drop to LB2 and DB2, removed Quickened Pulse (and add a Attack Seal) but keep the cavalry team buffs he's an absolutely monster and still goes 124-3-12. Forget a cavalry team and go with just a simple Hone Attack character buffing him and he goes 87-13-39. That is all without a boon too (which can drop it to 8 losses if it is +SPD).

People get upset when they pull bad IVs but there also is a lot of bad advice of saying characters are useless when maybe it's actually the best character someone has. And those 13 losses in that last scenario (which is way under utilizing Reinhardt) he's 86-3-23 when you remove Greens. Which hopefully you aren't running a team of 4 -ATK Reinhardts (well in that case he'd obliterate everything from all the goads) :p

Zafir

Decided to pull with all 80 of my orbs on the new banner. Not only because it was new but also because I have most of what I want and haven't pulled in what seems like forever.

Do

Not

Bother

Pulling.

Any word on if IS plans on removing some of the trash units from the pools at any point? Is that even a common thing for gacha games to do?

Unlikely.

The best you can hope for is IS decide to drop units to 3* so at the very least the 3* pool will have more useful units.

Ahh, I got two of her! Sorry that wasn't clearer. It feels like it would be a waste to combine them.

Unrelated note, if you have a character you intend to use feathers on, is the consensus that it makes more sense to get them to 40 (or close to it) and then upgrade them? Or could you just do it at 20 right away without missing out?

It depends. Most likely it makes sense to level them up. You will get the extra SP upon level up, as well as 3SP for every kill along the way to get there. If you keep them stock then it doesn't matter, but with the 1.5x cost on skill inheritance, you go farming for a long time to complete your character if you add a lot of expensive skills.

@OVDRobo - that is probably the worst series of pulls in the history of the game. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom