• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the IV system can be bullshit but the bolded is just wrong. Characters like Lyn, Nino and Reinhardt are basically crippled if they're -att or spd (latter does not apply to Reinhardt). That statement only applies if you have, say, a +Def - HP Ryoma. Sure it's not the best but his key stats aren't affected and he can still do his job. The same does not apply if he's -att or -spd since he wouldn't be able to kill/double units that he normally would otherwise. You saying a unit can perform well if they have a bane that cripples their ability to do what they're supposed to is inaccurate and misleading.
As an owner of a +DEF/-SPD Lyn since the beginning, I have to disagree. Sure, she wasn't able to perform at maximum capacity, but she was my only useful red for a long time, and she did well enough, even in arena (she was my only real Hector counter - by the way, my own Hector is +SPD/-RES).

I'm pretty new to Fire Emblem, but it seems like a key element of the series is making do with what you're given...or grinding it out until it's no longer an issue. Same rule applies here, though the added element of actual money heightens the stakes and muddies the waters a bit. Either you make do with what the game gives you, or you pay up to make the game give you what you want. If you're in the former camp, then judging units only by what they can do at an optimal level is only going to piss you off sooner or later, especially when their optimal level depends on skill inheritance...which, again, involves units you may or may not pull.

In other news, I'm about to grind this last 5k for Quickened Pulse. The game's been hitting me with some devilish situations lately, so hopefully this doesn't take too long.

PK Gaming

Said it before, and i'll say it again; the only crippling Boon is -Speed. Everything else is manageable, but -Speed straight up screws you out of damage/ by making you more vulnerable to damage.

EDIT: Ooookay, I guess -Atk on Brave users and units with low Attack is also pretty bad

Draxal

Said it before, and i'll say it again; the only crippling Boon is -Speed. Everything else is manageable, but -Speed straight up screws you out of damage/ by making you more vulnerable to damage.

Nah, Minus atk on a brave user is a twelve damage swing compared to plus atk on a hyper offensive unit. It really hurts.

Wiseblade

This banner is real easy to skip. None of them seem particularly impressive and I'm currently being drowned in enough feathers that I don't feel the need to roll the dice to fill gaps in my roster.

lt519

Damn this paralogue is straight up anti-horse emblem. Luke has exactly one more HP than Camus to proc the bonus reversal.

Roman

This banner is real easy to skip. None of them seem particularly impressive and I'm currently being drowned in enough feathers that I don't feel the need to roll the dice to fill gaps in my roster.

Katarina is better than Tharja and pretty much all of them have useful skills that could actually affect the metagame in a reasonably significant way, like Panic Ploy and the Firesweep Lance, which has the same Mt as Silver+. Cavalry teams can make use of Luke, who hits harder than Cain, and Roderick, whose stats seem to be built around his lance. Athena is about on par with Lon'Qu, trading 1 Spd to get 2 Atk over him - overall very solid.

Damn this paralogue is straight up anti-horse emblem. Luke has exactly one more HP than Camus to proc the bonus reversal.

I know I'm predictable once again but I still did the lunatic quests with full cavalry.

Bovine

Neo Member
At 44k in Tempest now, I'm probably going to quit at 50k as 15 orbs for more Niles and Ests don't really interest me. This banner has some interesting weapons and skills but I'll probably get them later while pulling for something else. I feel I have a good unit for every weapon so I'll only pull for personal reasons.

Speaking of IVs I somehow managed to pull 2 Bride Cordelias and they were both -Spd. I can understand 1 but 2? This I've never gotten 2 of a banner unit either. At 32 speed she's a frail Takumi with a bit more attack.

Not sure why they can't give players the ability to reroll 5 stars for say 5k feathers. You can promote the exact unit you want IV wise for 20k. I think gambling for 5 is reasonable.

lt519

I know I'm predictable once again but I still did the lunatic quests with full cavalry.

Yeah, I did too, just funny that it seems they picked some stats in particular to work against Xander and Camus. Xander ended up being MVP on these maps.

Sitting on 20k feathers I'm I'm trapped in deciding who I want to promote next.

Rebecca(+ATK,-SPD) is currently in the lead because I have no Archers. But then Mae(+RES, -ATK) is also a strong contender because I have no blue mages either. MY alternative to Mae is (m)Robin. Decision, decisions.

Sushen

I'm at 46k, but lost my motivation somehow. I think, I'll stop the tempest push early tonight. I will be so relieved once I hit 50k. I like orbs and feathers like anybody, but need a break. 2 weeks of tempest is way too much for me.

lt519

Made it. Robin now has 2600 SP.

vY7fm32.jpg

RIP Arena (need 150 more SP to learn LB3, inherited from 4* Narcian)

Lol with full cavalry buff I just did 94 damage to an Eldigan on my first move of the map.

What's a good build for a -HP +ATK Reinhardt? Also, is it worth it wasting 20k feathers to upgrade Effie to 5 star to give Rein DB3 or should I wait to pull a Klein?

spiritfox

What's a good build for a -HP +ATK Reinhardt? Also, is it worth it wasting 20k feathers to upgrade Effie to 5 star to give Rein DB3 or should I wait to pull a Klein?

Effie is too good as a unit to waste for SI fodder, so unless you have an extra or it has bad IVs, I'll wait.

Ursula is a free unit who also has death blow, you can use her.
Isn't Ursula more valuable though since she's an exclusive unit so far? And she would still need to be upgraded to 5 stars. I was also thinking of sacrificing my Narcian for LB3 but idk....

Alucrid

Banned
Isn't Ursula more valuable though since she's an exclusive unit so far? And she would still need to be upgraded to 5 stars. I was also thinking of sacrificing my Narcian for LB3 but idk....

if you need a blue blade mage on horse sure, otherwise there's nothing terribly remarkable. i guess keep one for collection purposes if you want

bigzgod

Speaking of IVs I somehow managed to pull 2 Bride Cordelias and they were both -Spd. I can understand 1 but 2? This I've never gotten 2 of a banner unit either. At 32 speed she's a frail Takumi with a bit more attack.

Not sure why they can't give players the ability to reroll 5 stars for say 5k feathers. You can promote the exact unit you want IV wise for 20k. I think gambling for 5 is reasonable.

Because it's not worth it money wise for IS. Quite a few players will keep pulling until they get the unit with the ivs they want. With gacha luck involved, that can be a considerable amount of money from dolphins and whales.

Letting you reroll ivs with feathers will just let you settle for what you have, since you can always earn more feathers and keep rerolling. The odds are in your favor to get a boon/bane that won't drastically hurt the unit in question.

ggx2ac

Read:

Reggie: Our Fire Emblem business grew because of Fire Emblem Heroes.

Interviewer: It was pretty niche at the time.
Reggie: Look, I love all of our franchises, all of our IP, but the strategic nature of Fire Emblem is unique. So what we saw with Fire Emblem Heroes is this app took off – and it continues to be one of the top grossing apps out in the various storefronts. We saw people go to Fire Emblem Awakening, which arguably is maybe a bit more accessible compared to the rest of the Fire Emblem franchise. They went there, they went to Fates, and now Fire Emblem Echoes is doing well.

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/nintendo-of-america-boss-talks-comebacks-3ds-and-esports-w488029

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Decided to pull with all 80 of my orbs on the new banner. Not only because it was new but also because I have most of what I want and haven't pulled in what seems like forever.

Any word on if IS plans on removing some of the trash units from the pools at any point? Is that even a common thing for gacha games to do?

I'd be happy with just more Trash Units. The 3* pool is the same as when the game launched.

I wonder if IS will ever do a Grand Hero Battle Banner, and put in 5* versions of the GHB units.

Sushen

With their on/off cycle of GHB Navarre (meh)- Xander(yay)- Lloyd (umm)- Camus(yes!), I wonder the next one will be another blah.

I like both data mined units and I'll bring them to 5* as long as they're somewhat useful.

OVDRobo

Unlikely.

The best you can hope for is IS decide to drop units to 3* so at the very least the 3* pool will have more useful units.

I'd be happy with just more Trash Units. The 3* pool is the same as when the game launched.

I wonder if IS will ever do a Grand Hero Battle Banner, and put in 5* versions of the GHB units.

I have no idea if it is common, but I hope they at least add more units to the 3* pool at some point.

Hmm. I didn't realise that no 3* units have been added since launch. That's probably the problem I'm perceiving rather than the pollution of the summoning pool with new characters lowering the odds of getting the character you want albeit very slightly. There's only so many Donnels, Subakis, Odins, Barsts etc. that you can get before pulling loses most of its lustre even taking SI into account.

I'd definitely like to see a couple of units get demoted to make things slightly more interesting, but I guess it's just the nature of games like this that sometimes you get really bad luck. It'd be nice if they removed the potential to pull some of the most frustratingly common units at 4* as well just to make 4* pulls slightly more satisfying.

Ah well. Hopefully I can pull together enough orbs to cash in this 4.25% banner rate before it ends. I'm sure I'll end up with a trash characters like Luke or someone off-banner, but I went all-in so I may as well stick at it at this point.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wish I had a better spread with my 3*. I am drowning in Gwendolyns and Corrins, which don't even have very useful skills to inherit.

Firemind

Well only IS has a hand in that, but FE12 is a pretty good game, if only for its map design. I recommend trying it out. Maybe heroes could introduce you to new games?
I don't have that many orbs unfortunately. I envy people who pull banner heroes with less than 100 orbs.

_Legacy_

Halfway there to Quickened Pulse, I just can't seem to get a deathless run to the 7th stage so have been running the 5 stages. Might try an all mage team with a dancer.

Mupod

No point stressing out over 'deathless' runs. Yesterday I had a run worth around 630, and I lost every team due to a really obnoxious final map + my usual strategy of surrendering team 1 once I get there. Ended up winning with only my very last unit, Genny of all people. Was still considered A for speed which resulted in a good score.

Anyways, I wonder if Legion will come with Fury at 4*. He seems to have Anna-like stats, too...

ggx2ac

Halfway there to Quickened Pulse, I just can't seem to get a deathless run to the 7th stage so have been running the 5 stages. Might try an all mage team with a dancer.

Healer would be more preferable to a dancer.

You've seen the enemies with 60+ health right?

_Legacy_

Yeah true, most of the times I can get to the 7th with all four (or lose a unit the round before) so a healer would definitely help in the last and penultimate round I guess.

EDIT: Also, with a dancer, I can take out the tank on round seven in one turn. Not so easy with a healer but I'll give a try regardless.

bigzgod

Not really. Dancer lets you kill faster. With how much emphasis there is on speed over survival, being able to kill faster is a huge asset. Plus you get 2 cracks at a single target, which is really nice when you have wings of mercy enemies on the map.

If you really need to heal, either run breath of life 3 or reciprocal aid renewal.

lt519

Why not both, I run Olivia and Lachesis with Wrathful Staff (49 attack) and get plenty of deathless runs. Olivia can handle greens no problem (even better if you put on TA). Then Robin and Nino just nuke everything. I think the only time I don't manage to win with that team is I'm not paying attention to a Wings of Mercy. Or Draug with his damn swap attack ):

On that note I ran into a Frederick on the last map and went through 4 teams because I kept forgetting about WoM on him and with the units starting at -HP it instantly proc'd lol.

For the last map I typically bait kill the horse mage before I go after the tank, by squeezing into the spot between the two pillars. Next turn you are in position to use that same mage to attack the tank twice (if you are dancing), once with the other mage and once with your healer and all be out of range of the melee horse still. The melee horse then comes into range of everyone for an easy kill and then you've still got 4 units to basically deal with Veronica and the infantry unit.

I'm done with Tempest though, 15 runs for 3 orbs at this point is not worth my time.

Yeah, I've been doing pretty great with Azura and Sakura for support.

If necessary, Azura can handle most reds with Sapphire Lance and Fury. Don't have Wrathful Staff and Sakura is -Atk +Def, so when she's not healing, she's generally being bait.

Main damage dealer is Bride Cordelia who usually scores 2 KOs per turn. Got a 4* Tharja for the bonus and for emergency damage or Draw Back.

I imagine more damage dealers are nice, but with some clever positioning, you can generally snipe away and get out safely without ever getting hit.

ggx2ac

The best thing to have is Effie as an enemy in the last round because she smites away enemies.

"That's it Effie, smite thy enemies!"

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yeah, I've been settling down into these teams for Tempest:

Team 1: Flier Emblem + Healer Lucina
Team 2: MRobin + Julia + Olivia + Elise
Team 3: Ryoma + Nowi + whoever else I can scrape together + healer
Team 4: Whoever's left over. Probably Roy + Hana + Ephriam + ATiki or something imbalanced like that.

Leading with a flier team has went well for me because it goes through the very forestey-mountainey maps easily. Then when I run into some asswad team and map combination like fifty archers + breakable middle wall map, I just kill whatever I can and then switch to the other team to finish up.

Mupod

blade tome +atk Cecilia + dancer is the key to my runs going quickly. She one shots just about everything, maps 5 and 6 the only things you need to worry about are maybe Sanaki and Ike...with Draconic Aura charged there isn't much of anything that lives.

I'm around 62k points now and I've definitely lost the will to grind. Problem is I'm so set in my ways with that cavalry team that it's hard to use anything else now.

I've got full SI done on Cecilia and she's got over 2500 unused SP at this point. Camus is around 1800. The grind might be more bearable if I had a new unit to work on, but I've had no luck finding a 5* Reinhardt or even a usable 4* one. May just promote Ursula, she already has moonbow and a regular blarblade + a lot of SP.

I was a little tempted to give the Killer Lance+ on my useless Peri to a +SPD - HP Abel and see what I could do with him. Camus is extremely good though, if I was gonna burn 20k feathers on a mounted lance I'd just +1 him.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is anyone else at a point where they're not sure what they want to do with their feathers? I'm pretty happy with my roster now, and have at least a decent unit for each role. Well, everything except for a good archer, but I don't think I strictly need one as long as I have the weapon triangle represented.

What are you doing with your feathers now? Saving them? Trying to +1 existing units? Or trying to upgrade some weird non-meta unit for fun?

ccbfan

Is Marth-Lucina any good.

In preparation for the next tempest event, I really need more max level 5 star characters. (Only had 2 full teams this event)

Problem with Marth-Lucina is that she had no skills other than weapon so I would need to sacrifice a bunch of characters for inherits. Don't want to waste if she sucks.

explodet

Is anyone else at a point where they're not sure what they want to do with their feathers?
I want to promote Alfonse, Sharena and Anna to 5*. Xander and Camus are losers at 4*. Ursula, Effie and Kagero are workhorses at 4* and can be even better promoted. If I promote my 4* Fae I'll have an all-manakete team. And I still don't have a 5* healer.

After I hit 200K feathers, get back to me and ask me again. :D

Sushen

Is anyone else at a point where they're not sure what they want to do with their feathers? I'm pretty happy with my roster now, and have at least a decent unit for each role. Well, everything except for a good archer, but I don't think I strictly need one as long as I have the weapon triangle represented.

What are you doing with your feathers now? Saving them? Trying to +1 existing units? Or trying to upgrade some weird non-meta unit for fun?
You can always give them to me, haha. There are 100k worth of promotions I can do lined up.

spiritfox

Is Marth-Lucina any good.

In preparation for the next tempest event, I really need more max level 5 star characters. (Only had 2 full teams this event)

Problem with Marth-Lucina is that she had no skills other than weapon so I would need to sacrifice a bunch of characters for inherits. Don't want to waste if she sucks.

She's Lucina with no skills and a different picture. Lucina's still top tier even though she isn't the powerhouse she once was. Plus most Lucina builds don't use most of her base skills anyway. If you need a good red she's a good option.

lt519

I've got Horse Emblem and a pretty unstoppable Infantry team so I think I'm gonna start on flier emblem, but not having Bunny-milla is a bummer. The other option is working on Armor Emblem but I don't have a Hector or Effie so I feel like that would be useless.

Mupod

I've got Horse Emblem and a pretty unstoppable Infantry team so I think I'm gonna start on flier emblem, but not having Bunny-milla is a bummer. The other option is working on Armor Emblem but I don't have a Hector or Effie so I feel like that would be useless.

I blew a ton of feathers making a cavalry team and it's been a great investment so far. I have SOME ideas for a flier team (distant counter quickened pulse Michalis), but I simply don't have the units I'd need. I don't have a single 5* flier.

I finished my arena run with 4800 - I started off using Sharena as my bonus, but halfway through switched to 4*+4 Olivia for an easier time. Normally this would be a pretty bad score for me, but T18-T19 this week seems to be much much easier than last time. Looks like I'm ranked around 1500 but there's something like 20,000 in this rank and I only need to be top 40%.

May just start running my horse team as my main, if they can get me scores that keep me in 4 orb territory. They also got me a defense instantly.

The teams I fought were surprisingly easy. A lot of unfinished Bride Cordelias with Life and Death, a carefully buffed and repositioned Hector was able to one-shot them every time. No Quickened Pulse Reinhardts yet, and QP+moonbow on Ryoma does mean I have no fear of even the most merged and buffed-out green mages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom