• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman

For what it's worth I do think gauntlets are badly designed and keep getting worse.
To get the most out of them it is now not a matter of how well or how often you play, but when you play.

For Europe the final hours of rounds and therefore big multipliers happen around 3-5 AM, and the early round multipliers, which in some matchups are the only ones, happen around the same time for the US.

Personally I would simply prefer a system with no multipliers again like in the first gauntlet, but with more evenly popular participants.

Tempest is alright but I'm not too impressed with how the seal and unit rewards are significantly less useful than in the first one.

Sterok

Did a few pulls for the heck of it. Was kind of hoping for Robin. Got Shirtless Frederick. On one hand, it's shirtless Freddy. On the other, he's +Def/-Spd. So worthless. Oh well. Nice to have at least.

redcrayon

Why on Earth is Tobin, as a red sword, the reward unit when we had a red sword last time? I can't see that I'd ever use him when even mid-range red units like Hinata and Sully are stronger, let alone team Falchion or Ryoma.

Wow that speed item seems oddly specific if it only works with windsweep etc. Maybe I could give it to Soren?

Chain challenge is great though, restocked me back up to 90+ orbs so far.

I can't be bothered with this tempest. It's making inner RPG grinder go crazy. Maybe I'll go back to it on a few days but I just can't bring myself to run it anymore.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Why on Earth is Tobin, as a red sword, the reward unit when we had a red sword last time? I can't see that I'd ever use him when even mid-range red units like Hinata and Sully are stronger, let alone team Falchion or Ryoma.
They knew that I needed red swords so they made it for me.

If they wanted to give us another Red Sword unit, it should of been Saber. Fits the Celica theme better and he's hot.

Did a few pulls for the heck of it. Was kind of hoping for Robin. Got Shirtless Frederick. On one hand, it's shirtless Freddy. On the other, he's +Def/-Spd. So worthless. Oh well. Nice to have at least.
My first Summer Frederick was that exact nature. -SPD sucks but Defense is a great boon. There's a lot of build options on the reddit community, including for that nature.

Sushen

Not a big fan of PvP since I suck bad at it so I normally just run Intermeidte Arena. I'm Tier 17. How, I do not know. But I usually end up around 3800pts mark. Some feathers are better than none. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I find advanced isn't much more difficult than intermediate at high tiers. At least depends on what's given, you can alternate.

Bride Cordelia is sensational!
Tell me about it. She is my new Reinhardt, in fact, he's enjoying vacation thanks to her this tempest season, haha.

kewlmyc

After getting horse emblem and picking up F/GO, I've kinda lost motivation to play this. Haven't even touched arena at all. I guess I'll eventually go through tempest if the seals are any good.

Are they?

Have no desire to bother with this tempest at all. Especially considering the team I'd use is on a bazillion SP and needs nothing. It's too bad I got 2 garbage Bride Cordelia's (both -Spd smh) I might build her up with the surplus of feathers I have.

Tobin should have been anything but a red sword. Garbage reward.

Vena

Have no desire to bother with this tempest at all. Especially considering the team I'd use is on a bazillion SP and needs nothing. It's too bad I got 2 garbage Bride Cordelia's (both -Spd smh) I might build her up with the surplus of feathers I have.

Tobin should have been anything but a red sword. Garbage reward.

I'd use it as an opportunity to train up and test a new team. End game is definitely transitioning to a more multi-team oriented challenge so that just a single "super squad" can't be the solution to everything.

Tempest is alright. Tobin is just for collection but couldn't care less otherwise what with Xander, Selena, Athena, Marth proper all in the collection. But the Res-up seal is decent and I guess I'll go for the other one by the end. Been getting lots of 30-odds built up in the early stages at least plus the feathers. I got good mileage out of Boey before this trial so he's about to hit 2000 merit as he contributes the multiplier.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Isn't +3 HP almost always better than +1 Res? Unless you expect to tank 4+ hits from Magic users, or really want that extra +1 damage when using Glacies/Iceberg.

Isn't +3 HP almost always better than +1 Res? Unless you expect to tank 4+ hits from Magic users, or really want that extra +1 damage when using Glacies/Iceberg.

While a minimal nice add for something like Iceberg, I'm thinking of the likes of Squad Assault where you have to swap out teams and seals are still relatively few, any extra general use seal to have on a character is welcome. The HP+3s higher priority of course.

Mupod

well 100 orbs on reds in the fury banner got me a bunch of useful 3* but no +1 Eldigan. I've kind of grown to like the -atk +spd one I have anyways. Still kills everything with Bonfire, has good defenses and 37 speed buffed is nice.

Thinking I'll just promote Xander next, to have another option for my red cavalry spot for infernal GHBs. And presumably for when they do a Fates Tempest Trial, which I bet will be sooner rather than later.

Golnei

I would like to get a mage in the next GHB/Tempest Trial as an award. So far we have only gotten physical damage units.

That'd conflict with the planned schedule of an Archanea Tempest with Radd, Jugdral with Dalvin, Fates with Hisame, Elibe with Ogier and Magvel with Rennac.

Ninferno

Thinking I'll just promote Xander next, to have another option for my red cavalry spot for infernal GHBs. And presumably for when they do a Fates Tempest Trial, which I bet will be sooner rather than later.

Xander is a great candidate for promotion, especially when you are already running Horse Emblem. However, I won't hold my breath for him to be a Tempest bonus. First of all, Tempest 40% bouns characters pretty much have to be pullable as they are almost guaranteed to be on a Tempest banner; GHB units do not fit that criterion. For 20% however, FemRobin has been Awakening Tempest's 20% bonus so it is possible for a GHB unit to be 20%, but with the starter lord trio being guaranteed to be 20%, other units being 20% isn't adding much.

Anyway, since we are talking about a potential Fates Tempest, it will be interesting to speculate what a Fates Tempest bonus character set look like. Corrins of different genders will very likely occupy a 40% slot and a 20% slot. Judging by the Awakening Tempest, if IS wants to maintain some kind of gender balance, it should make FemCorrin 40% and MaleCorrin 20%, not to mention FemCorrin is pretty much the "canon" Corrin in the upcoming Warriors. However, to complicate things, FemCorrin has been a free gift for Android users previously so who really knows.

Moving on, my money's on Azura to take the second 40% slot. It feels fitting, lore-wise. And with 2 slots occupied by "neutral" characters, the rest 2 can be one Hoshidan royal and one Nohrian royal. My money's on Takumi and Camilla to cover more colors.

Finally, the 20% row. It is a lot more clear here as Corrin, the Tempest reward char, and one of the starter lord have already occupied 3 slots. For the remaining one, maybe they will throw in Felicia or Gunter, both of which are daily HB units like Lissa in the Awakening Tempest.

ggx2ac

Unlike the last Tempest Trial where I had to use a healer, this one feels easy.

Using Alm, Hinoka, Klein, Ninian and am beating Lunatic 7 maps getting the 705 points with little trouble.

The final map seems too easy and a lot of the enemies are red in that map most of the time so even if I screwed up badly, my Ninian will survive on the tiles because she doesn't take damage from Celica even if she is at 1HP remaining because of Celica's special.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Xander is one of my favorite units, built in distant counter, high mobility, good stat spread. The only thing lacking is his built in Skills are kinda lackluster, but that can be fixed with SI.

Vena

This Tempest is much easier but I think thats largely due to unit selection.

The unit pool is limited (or the pull logic is very biased towards certain units) in this Tempest and it seems to be pulling some really bad units in general (and its rolling some really low attack value units, like Felicia or Niles or Jakob) and not really pulling the higher tier units in any regularity: Ryoma, Lucina, Hector, etc, they appear but not with any good regularity.

Moreover, having the final map be on many runs entirely soloable by MRobin (a crap unit) greatly lowers the difficulty level.

The first Tempest had a final map that was commonly spearheaded by Veronica + Reinhardt or Olwen + Effie/Hector/Draug + a teleporting horse. This Tempest has a shitty Celica who suicides immediately on any blue mage and you are given four defensive tiles to exploit.

Sushen

well 100 orbs on reds in the fury banner got me a bunch of useful 3* but no +1 Eldigan. I've kind of grown to like the -atk +spd one I have anyways. Still kills everything with Bonfire, has good defenses and 37 speed buffed is nice.

I've been wishing for Eldigan as he'll finish my second horse team among Titania and Olwen with no luck. BTW it was funny to realize I ran out of fodder for horse emblem while I used to complain about how many I had. Actually I think I sent some home which I regret now.

I took the time to do the squad assault. Pretty interesting mode. At first I was running it trial by error, but said screw it and looked up what each map entailed. I have a decent sized crew so it was no problem preparing teams for it. That HP+3 is a pretty OK seal imo

Semajer

I'm going to die before I get summer Tiki aren't I? I've never had my pity rate reach 4% before, and that's after a Boey ended my previous rate. I wanted to save my orbs for the CYL banner.

MicH

Scraped together another 5 orbs trying to pull summer Gaius at 3.50% rate up. Already got the others. Pull colorless. NOPE. It's summer Frederick again lol... +ATK -SPD. My other one is neutral. Eh. I think I'm gonna start saving up for a better banner.

c-murph

Just got a 5* Genny -Atk +Def.

Do I keep her or sacrifice her for Wrathful Staff to my 5* Clarine or some other healer?

Ugh, 5* Eternal Youth Nowi +Def -Hp. Actually wanted Jagen for Hone Cavalry.

Scum

Mkv. doing Squad Assault with only base 3* no seal/SI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEjf8VgCtC8

that moment at 2:56 is seriously hilarious and genius.
That Archer.
FFMmr.gif

Ninferno

For those who are still looking for emulator solutions, someone on SF has pointed out that AMIDuOS works with 1.5.1. I tested it and it does work, and most importantly no 803-3001 so far. While it is too early for me to draw any conclusion, it does look promising. Anyone who prefers to play Heroes on PC can give it a try. Performance wise, I feel it is not as good as Nox but still more than serviceable.

OVDRobo

I may have overdone things.

At least now I can stop complaining about how much I dislike tempest trials.

As for how I'd change the mode:
Definite changes
1. Give players 5-10% of their final score on each run through the trials in feathers - around 35-70 for each perfect run on lunatic. Allow players to use their favourite and best characters even after they've maxed out hero merit and still be rewarded somewhat. Make the grind less painful because some reward is always being obtained and add a farmable source of feathers to the game whenever trials are active making them more exciting.
2. Remove the 7-battle lunatic option. Have the 5-battle lunatic be the maximum. 7 battles takes too long to spend 100 stamina on considering the average mobile game session length.
3. Fix the disparity in point contribution between survival and speed. Just have each weighting contribute to half of the ranking. Make healers more appealing.

Other changes that could work in addition to the above:
1. Make tempest trials a twice-monthly or monthly event.
2. Keep the scoring system but use it only for cumulative ranking and the associated feather rewards. Give players that don't want to deal with arena meta a way to consistently gain feathers.
3. Make badges the tempest trials currency instead of a character evolution material with absolutely no purpose past the first week of play. Use only feathers to gate character evolution and remove badge drops from the training tower.
4. Have badges be redeemable in a new screen - 'Anna's Shop' - for rewards. Let the player buy what they want instead of forcing them up through a linear reward progression that often contains useless items. Naturally make items like sacred seals or characters significantly more expensive. Have the stock refresh with every new tempest trial.

I'm not 100% on all of these ideas and some would draw the game closer to other gachas, but I'm certain that some of them would at least make the mode more appealing than it currently is.

explodet

I was busy this weekend and just auto-battled the lvl 20 tempest when I had a few minutes to spare. I'll be trying the harder ones when I've got more brain power and time.

Taking a closer look at the easiest route, it's kinda funny seeing characters like Ryoma wielding a steel sword or Takumi trying to do damage with a steel bow against lvl 40 5* characters.

Dezner

*sigh* :(

Bikini Robin continues to evade me, just like Lyn has ever since the day of release. ;_; (Every. Single. Day.)

F4cKYRrm.png
yC9kLUfm.png
pMLRVKhm.png

I'm liking Mae so far, though. She's been pretty fun to use! :eek:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Faye is actually pretty damn good, I had mostly written her off when I got her in a random pull a while back.

Lukas still sucks at being more than a Physical Damage wall.

spiritfox

*sigh* :(

Bikini Robin continues to evade me, just like Lyn has ever since the day of release. ;_; (Every. Single. Day.)

F4cKYRrm.png
yC9kLUfm.png
pMLRVKhm.png

I'm liking Mae so far, though. She's been pretty fun to use! :eek:

Man I wish I got M-Robins and Effies when I was pulling for Summer Robin. All I got were Shannas and Gwendolyns.

Ninferno

Hone Attack banner... Lame. Nino is great though, if you don't have her. Maybe when a Death Blow banner featuring Effie and Klein hits I can finally use some orbs.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wish these skill banners also had a 4* focus boost, that would really get me to pull.

Sanaki is kind of tempting though.

I wanted Nino , not just for Nino, but to put that weapon into a cecilia. Blew 65 orbs on nothing but green and no Nino. The banners around for awhile so hopefully I'll pull her when I get more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom