• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

So I started playing this, hoping battles would be more interactive (never played a Fire Emblem game). But it seems like the only strategy is positioning? Am I missing something?

There is an ever expanding and already fairly complex metagame involving IVs and inherited skills.

Theosmeo

So I started playing this, hoping battles would be more interactive (never played a Fire Emblem game). But it seems like the only strategy is positioning? Am I missing something?

This one is all about team building and positioning, others are slightly differing. Characters can combo like they can in smash tho :/

Etria

The corollary of this misconception isn't true either - if you have 4 5* units it is no guarantee of being able to get 4000 points, I can't even get 3000 with this team.

That's also true. My statement is perhaps more relevant for people who haven't obtained the 'sufficient' number of 5* units, and think they do require a full team of 5* to get anywhere in Arena, which is simply not the case based on anecdotal evidence in this thread.

As for your team, you should have a decent chance of breaking 4,000 points once you tackle Advanced stages. Just train them up to Level 40 and then work on positioning during your Arena runs. Slap on some inherited skills if you want to, but it's not necessary at this stage.

I know Lucius is your bonus character, but I find healers to be underwhelming in Arena. A fully offensive team will benefit you in the long run, so hopefully you can swap in a more effective bonus character for next season.

And I don't want to scare you but 300 orbs is by no means a guarantee you'll even get one 5*...if you're me.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate luck. I can't say that I have the best luck*, but I have gotten a 5* for an average of 40-60 orbs that I use for summoning sessions. Bear in mind that I haven't sniped for orbs (which should theoretically give me a greater probability of attaining a 5* unit). I am conscious of the fact that this decent luck will not get me too far once Ike shows up in a banner, so am just stockpiling orbs as a safety measure.

*For the Easter banner, my sibling summoned THREE 5* units (three of the focus characters: Spring Lucina, Chrom, and Xander) in a single summoning session...That is scarily good luck. :O

Ndayday

Neo Member
Anyone have any tips for the Lunatic Challenge quest for 9-5? Which is beating it with an Axe user and not losing a unit.

I have 5* Hawkeye as my Axe and have been trying variants of Klein/Azura/Ephraim. I just feel like Hawkeye is completely useless for the map.

Mupod

Anyone have any tips for the Lunatic Challenge quest for 9-5? Which is beating it with an Axe user and not losing a unit.

I have 5* Hawkeye as my Axe and have been trying variants of Klein/Azura/Ephraim. I just feel like Hawkeye is completely useless for the map.

cheese it with a light's blessing, what else are you gonna use them for?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I just used a Light's Blessing. Kill everything but 1 unit, then use Light's Blessing to bring everyone back.

MANUELF

Banned

I did it with a MRobin, Kagero, Roy and Camilla

Vena

I did it with a MRobin, Kagero, Roy and Camilla

I can see how Kagero would trivialize that challenge.

Edit, my comp: Tiki-loli, MRobin, Jaffar, and Frederick.

---

So the question is, tomorrow when Arena ends, who to promote...
Yv48M1a.jpg

Yes, I have very few 5*. :'(

Ilvocare

woo goddamn

-Arena score at 4,562, seem to be safe in top 5k. Thanks to the team of (all 5*s) Ephraim, Eirika, Fae, and Anna, arena has gotten super doable. No SI used at all! Granted I might be lucky in my team comp and fights, but like... turns out when you rip out taco from your team you suddenly understand what the power of BST is
-Managed to scrape together a horse emblem AND a flier emblem team, managed to nab those 6 orbs at the last second. Fuck right off with trying to knight emblem, though. 3 Draugs together are surprisingly impotent against... like... everything. I'll let those drop.

probably gonna pull bunny banner tomorrow in the hopes of nabbing Chrom or Camilla, either will do. Hoarding ability too strong...

Pejo

Well, I got sorta lucky on the bunny banner, but sorta not. The only one I wanted was Camilla, and instead I got all of the other 3. I pulled with about 40 orbs, only pulling green, and pulling blue when no green is there.

Kinda crazy I got 3 of them doing that, but bleh. I'll keep doing single pulls until the banner ends to see if I can get her. I like the idea of flying mages a lot.

MANUELF

Banned
I can see how Kagero would trivialize that challenge.

Edit, my comp: Tiki-loli, MRobin, Jaffar, and Frederick.

---

So the question is, tomorrow when Arena ends, who to promote...

Yes, I have very few 5*. :'(

I would say Kagero if the IVs are good, when 5* she gains access tp a stronger weapon AND a stronger debuff, Effie is another great contender, tell us their IVs

Vena

I would say Kagero, she needs the HP way less than Effie

I may be biased because Kagero kills sooo many troublesome opponents for me

Kagero is largely useless for me as she doesn't cover what I lack. :p But neither does Effie, or hell much of anything I have available. Haha. Effie does give me a second Blue, though, which is more than Kagero's offer since Jaffar does a lot of decent coverage already for the same role.

I want Klein or Jeorge. Someone able to bop the mages with Brave Bow.

I've been in general trying to decide between Michalis, Effie, Kagero, FCorrin (largely to gobble her up for Dark Breath+), and Anna.

Tiki-loli with DB+ is a mighty fine sounding proposition no matter how you shake it!

scy

The argument could be made for promoting nothing? Put another way, what's your planned team composition for the next two weeks of Arena? I'm guessing Michalis in place of Frederick to hit bonus; you can promote him for that two week stay or you can just wait it out to see what the next banner is and allocate from there. If you were doing any pulling on the next Battling banner, Kagerou can wait it out to see if you get lucky.

I'm also really stingy with my feathers so there's that as well.

MANUELF

Banned
The argument could be made for promoting nothing? Put another way, what's your planned team composition for the next two weeks of Arena? I'm guessing Michalis in place of Frederick to hit bonus; you can promote him for that two week stay or you can just wait it out to see what the next banner is and allocate from there. If you were doing any pulling on the next Battling banner, Kagerou can wait it out to see if you get lucky.

I already promoted 2 units to 5* and I regret nothing, they both are beast that kills every single target (+ATK Reinhardt and +SPD Kagero)

Vena

This is also an option.

Though my current arena crew wasn't the selected, that's just leveling Effie. Arena is: MRobin, Tiki-loli, Eirika, Jaffar.

Jaffar is the one who has the highest potential to rotate but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am also having occasional issue from the double-red, and was considering dropping either Eirika (buff-bot, tank) or Tiki-loli (magic, tank). Hadn't actually planned against the next season, though, so that's a good point and may be worth it to promote Michalis.

I already promoted 2 units to 5* and I regret nothing, they both are beast that kills every single target (+ATK Reinhardt and +SPD Kagero)

Hah. Its appreciated, but I am more musing aloud. :p

4320 arena score with 5* Nino/Linde/Eirika/Ninian (lvl 25). I probably won't get an arena rank this high again for a long time, if ever. I'll take it. (Also, if the meta shifts away from my 5*s, I'm toast--I'm just exceedingly lucky to have four of my only five 5*s be really good in arena.)

Hilariously, this team has 0 defense score, so I might end up with only slightly more feathers than my usual ~1800 offense runs once all is said and done.

Etria

4320 arena score with 5* Nino/Linde/Eirika/Ninian (lvl 25). I probably won't get an arena rank this high again for a long time, if ever. I'll take it. (Also, if the meta shifts away from my 5*s, I'm toast--I'm just exceedingly lucky to have four of my only five 5*s be really good in arena.)

Hilariously, this team has 0 defense score, so I might end up with only slightly more feathers than my usual ~1800 offense runs once all is said and done.

Congrats, that's a great score. In case you didn't already know, you can set a different defence team in Arena, which may give you a better chance at a defence score this season. It is the leftmost team when you go into 'Edit Team'.

Neoxon

Also no Laura Bailey. Alexis Tipton now voices Lucina.
I'm honestly surprised that it didn't happen sooner, but I'm still disappointed that Nintendo couldn't be bothered to get Laura Bailey back. If it was because Laura was busy, that's another story. But given NoA's history of sticking with non-union talent, I wouldn't be surprised if the first scenario was the case (especially looking at the English voice cast for Breath of the Wild).

Anyway, what's the pecking order for color rankings for characters in this game?

spiritfox

I'm honestly surprised that it didn't happen sooner, but I'm still disappointed that Nintendo couldn't be bothered to get Laura Bailey back. If it was because Laura was busy, that's another story. But given Nintendo's history with sticking with non-union talent, I wouldn't be surprised if the first scenario was the case (especially looking at the English voice cast for Breath of the Wild).

Anyway, what's the pecking order for color rankings for characters in this game?

It's probably cause of the SAG strike.

kewlmyc

Kinda all over the place right now.

One thing that remains true right now however is that in competitive (Arena), the only colorless units that are worth a lick are Kagero, Takumi, and Klein.

Most people tend to have at least one sword user on their team, so having a blue user on your team will help.

scy

Oh yeah, not saying literally never just that based off those units there isn't some "upgrade this, suddenly new opportunities" choice. I dug into my orb supply to pull for the spring banners so I can bunny Lucina to hit the next bonuses which leaves me with even more sitting on orbs waiting and/or sacrifices to the blood gods since I finally got a Nino as well.

I've also been extremely fortunate with my pulls which is a large part of why my feather supply hasn't really been touched.

Hadn't actually planned against the next season, though, so that's a good point and may be worth it to promote Michalis.

Not sure if he's worth a promotion just for it, per se, but yeah, I tend to base most my decisions on the upcoming arena heroes and focus on a core trio of units. He can replace Jaffar temporarily but I think him, or something like him, may be a necessity for sniping units getting out of line. Michalis is more of a mobile physical tank so while he shares a lot with what Eirika is bringing, her buff utility is pretty hard to give up and Y!Tiki is the closest to a mage tank in that setup, though worth noting I expect a lot of Spring Lucina in the coming weeks to lower her value somewhat.

Vena

Red is still dominant, as are Hectors/Effies. But I am seeing more and more Nino-like builds popping up with time, still never ran into a Horse/Flier Emblem, though, surprisingly.

One thing that remains true right now however is that in competitive (Arena), the only colorless units that are worth a lick are Kagero, Takumi, and Klein.

Jaffar and Jorge as well.

Not sure if he's worth a promotion just for it, per se, but yeah, I tend to base most my decisions on the upcoming arena heroes and focus on a core trio of units. He can replace Jaffar temporarily but I think him, or something like him, may be a necessity for sniping units getting out of line. Michalis is more of a mobile physical tank so while he shares a lot with what Eirika is bringing, her buff utility is pretty hard to give up and Y!Tiki is the closest to a mage tank in that setup, though worth noting I expect a lot of Spring Lucina in the coming weeks to lower her value somewhat.

Michalis is basically a flying/named hero version of Frederick. Both have massive physical stats with mediocre speeds and comically low resistances, and thats one reason I don't really *want* to promote Michalis. He'd just be a flying Frederick, and Frederick already can teleport!

That said, yes, you guessed correctly in that my Eirika is a major buff-bot and position control unit. She's VERY hard to give up, while Tiki-loli is indeed a mage-tank and helps round out my team with a non-physical, non-blue damage source. Its quite the pickle as I really do like this team but I do have issues when Ephraim or Shareena show up backed by, say, Nino or FCorrin or Merric or etc...

Tiki-loli is actually probably my weakest "all rounder", even more so than Jaffar, surprisingly. Jaffar will simply demolish a unit and survive with ~3-5 HP across the board due to his health and high defenses (even after L&D3 reductions, his low base attack guarantees seemingly across the board that he has to trade blows). I am looking to get Desperation on him to exploit this fact.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, which Bonus heroes for next week do you guys think is the Best? One of the Easter Units? Alphonse? Michalis? One of the other dudes?

OVDRobo

New banners up.

Wyvern Riders (Minerva, Beruka, Cherche, Camilla) and Pegasus Knights (Hinoka, Palla, Subaki, Cordelia). Voting gauntlet coming as expected.

I dropped around 32 orbs into the Pegasus Riders and got Hinoka (Hell yeah!) as well as a 5* Subaki (God no!)

I'm going Team Hinoka all the way in the voting gauntlet. Hopefully Subaki gets eliminated in the first round.

Cerium

New banners up.

Wyvern Riders (Minerva, Beruka, Cherche, Camilla) and Pegasus Knights (Hinoka, Palla, Subaki, Cordelia). Voting gauntlet coming as expected.

I dropped around 32 orbs into the Pegasus Riders and got Hinoka (Hell yeah!) as well as a 5* Subaki (God no!)

I'm going Team Hinoka all the way in the voting gauntlet. Hopefully Subaki gets eliminated in the first round.

And I'm shit out of orbs. Damn, there's going to be so many Flier Emblem teams in arena soon and I won't be one of them.

scy

I'd like a Minerva to use, maybe, but Pegasus has Palla for enabling Flier Emblem. Hm.

So, which Bonus heroes for next week do you guys think is the Best? One of the Easter Units? Alphonse? Michalis? One of the other dudes?

I'm expecting Lucina, Michalis, and Camilla mostly, and Michalis is there mostly just out of convenience value for people. I'm mostly worried about running into Nino+Bunny Lucina -blade comps personally.

Not sure how many people run actual defense comps though. I don't think many of these will end up on people's defense setups if they do have one but I wager a lot of people are lazy (like me).

Edit: 5* Caeda, 5* Abel. ...not what I expected.

OVDRobo

No more free orbs ? End of an era.

You'll take your 1 free arena orb per day and enjoy it.

Jokes aside, I'm really glad I've basically got most of the characters I want at this point. It's going to be a real drip-feed for F2P unless they start releasing chapters, events and quests a little quicker.

To be fair, 2 free orbs per day was supposed to end a while back but then they immediately created the 'starter support event' and... gave everyone 2 free orbs per day. Who knows whether we'll get a similar event again soon.

Ekid

Another banner, another chance to pull Minerva.

Last attempt with 120 orbs the game blessed me with these incredible heros (starting after Michalis) :

Let's hope I will have more luck this time.

macklelol

Got a pair of Pallas and a Cordelia from the new banners. I'm pretty pleased with that. I'd like to try and get another Minerva but I seem to have pretty bad luck when it comes to pulling greens.

ggx2ac

I wanted to get a 5* Palla. I did try my chances for Minerva but didn't get any 5* from the Wyvern banner.

So basically, I go to roll for 5* Palla from the Pegasus banner. At best I got two 3* Palla units.

And for some reason I got 5* Lucina twice from that banner, twice.

I now have a level 40+3 Lucina with Attack down, Speed up because that's the best I could get.

ggx2ac

My second green orb gave me exactly the unit I was hoping for:

I was excited for about three minutes, until I checked her nature: +Def/-Spd.

Sad.

That's sort of okay for Life and Death since she has high defense.

I use Fury because mine is Speed Up, Defense Down.

Roman

That's sort of okay for Life and Death since she has high defense.

I use Fury because mine is Speed Up, Defense Down.

I would have accepted neutral Spd, but a Life and Death 3 focused unit having -spd is simply too crippling to be competitive for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom