• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how people go 7 winsteak without losing any units. Even in a good run, I lose a unit every other match due to high traffic nature of the maps. Many times units are cramped into small space where you have to take out enemy unit knowing there is an enemy unit right in the range that counters my unit.

Unless you one shot everyone every time, I don't see how I can do this.

Back when I was in the all-melee sweetspot of 650-660 per battle, it was simply a matter of luring the enemy into favorable color matchups.

It's actually harder now that I have to run 4* Michalis and run into mages again though...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've never gotten a perfect run, but each week I usually manage a run or two with 1-2 deaths in total.

A lot of it is about oneshotting people, and only placing units in range of enemy units if you know that your unit will survive the attack. Usually that means only placing units in range of other units that are disadvantaged against them (like putting MRobin in range of Takumi). You rarely want to enter a slugfest where multiple units are in range of other multiple units. You're sure to lose at least one unit on the enemy turn if you do that.

Since this is usually hard to keep everyone safe consistently, that's why ranged units and mobility skills like Drag Back, Reposition, Shove, and Dance are so important. It lets you get in a free hit and still pull that person back to safety, or at least swap positions so that a healthier unit can take a hit on the enemy turn.

Back when I was in the all-melee sweetspot of ~4600, it was simply a matter of luring the enemy into favorable color matchups.

It's actually harder now that I have to run 4* Michalis and run into mages again though...
This is why I was so jealous of everyone who pulled Ninian in the last banner. They got a super useful 5* bonus unit to go with their team of 3 main units.

Spoit

Do the characters you have in mind have outright bad IVs, or are they just not optimal? Because those three are strong characters as long as their IV don't specifically screw them over. Nowi is probably the strongest of the three.

Yeah, they're just mediocre IVs, not actually bad.

Robin (-hp/+def)
Nowi (-res/+hp)
Reinhardt (-hp/+spd) (which would might have been useful, if his speed wasn't terrible in the first place)

Oh, I did just pull a new 3* setsuna that had a good IV though, -HP/+spd. Problem is that I would need to promote both gordin and hana to 5* just for her to nom on them

StAidan

Great unit choices, team(s).

(edit: at least I won.)

4kuzCrU.png

kewlmyc

I wonder how people go 7 winsteak without losing any units. Even in a good run, I lose a unit every other match due to high traffic nature of the maps. Many times units are cramped into small space where you have to take out enemy unit knowing there is an enemy unit right in the range that counters my unit.

OHKO/ORKOs and dancer/singers for me.

Akuun

Robin (-hp/+def)
Nowi (-res/+hp)
Reinhardt (-hp/+spd) (which would might have been useful, if his speed wasn't terrible in the first place)

Oh, I did just pull a new 3* setsuna that had a good IV though, -HP/+spd. Problem is that I would need to promote both gordin and hana to 5* just for her to nom on them
Robin and Nowi are probably both workable with those. Robin takes nearly no damage against his favored type matchups anyway, so his hp and def won't change much. Though he will have trouble against blue mages (but then he already does).

Nowi having less res hurts, but maybe the hp makes up for it? Nowi's one of those characters you can build in multiple ways, so that IV might make her better towards certain builds. Maybe the added HP can be better fodder for Fury/Vantage.

Vena

'Drag Back'

Drag Back/Reposition/Swap/Pivot.

But I also have units built to "trade" safely and position them in such ways as to exploit the AI. This is why I currently have a "green mage" problem since I don't have a good trader for mages unless I get Roy (or keep working on my Eirika) and give them Distant Counter, or just say fuck it and run Sanaki.

My biggest problem, though, is the BST. I have no counter for it!

Akuun

Drag Back/Reposition/Swap/Pivot.

But I also have units built to "trade" safely and position them in such ways as to exploit the AI. This is why I currently have a "green mage" problem since I don't have a good trader for mages unless I get Roy (or keep working on my Eirika) and give them Distant Counter, or just say fuck it and run Sanaki.

My biggest problem, though, is the BST. I have no counter for it!
Eirika is probably good for it. The buffs are always welcome, and you don't need to kill the green mage outright on counterattack anyway. You could always go in and kill the green mage on your turn.

Robin (-hp/+def)
Nowi (-res/+hp)

Nowi if you care about BST. Have some dragon synergy.

Reinhardt if you want to nuke nearly all blue, red, and colorless. Really shines with a dancer.

Scum

I have my +SPD -HP Eirika Swordbreaker, Hone Speed, HP, Rally Resistance and Moonbow. She's fun. Now if only I could get a good Colourless character... ☹️

How in the world am I not getting any red allies for my flag missions...

So far I've had virtually almost all colorless allies, with a few blues/green scattered here and there.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How in the world am I not getting any red allies for my flag missions...

So far I've had virtually almost all colorless allies, with a few blues/green scattered here and there.

Dumb question, but can't you just bring a red unit yourself?

Scum

Anyone using Tharja? Have Hone Speed and Desperation to mine but I'm wondering what Support skill would be good for her..,

Alucrid

Banned
the thing i really like about the gauntlet is that it lets me use units i don't have. wish i had a reinhardt and takumi

Articalys

After I came to terms with the fact that the real challenge of the gauntlet is the metagame of choosing a team and flag management to maximize your feather gains, it's lost a bit of its charm.

Mostly because I already screwed up on both of those factors, but still.

Using all available flags on a character with bonus places me rank 269 in Total Rank for the moment. I expect it to drop a lot by the end because some people are probably saving all flags for the last round. Just tomorrow when people get more flags from Arena it will drop a lot.

By the end the event, top 1000 for Cumulative is won by people who never sleep more than 30 minutes and people who were able to get all flags quest done without having to ever switch to a non-bonus character. First round I had to use colorless unit on my own because I was never getting any as friends.

Jims

Currently sitting at Rank 2500 in the gigantic Team Camilla, spending 1200 flags to get 132k. It'll go down tomorrow, but would like to stay Top 10k or so this round. We get around 1100 flags per round and I skipped spending any in Round 1, so am thinking about doing a 1400/1900 split for these last 2 rounds. There are probably a decent amount of people that are just going to dump everything into Round 3, so hopefully a score around 210k will be a decent tier.

(This all would've been easier if I hadn't been a sheep and picked Camilla.)

ggx2ac

I put Klein in so others can benefit from having an archer in this all flier gauntlet.

I'm still waiting for a colourless ally to appear.

If it's that you can just use your own for that quest then I'll do it at the last moment.

Currently sitting at Rank 2500 in the gigantic Team Camilla, spending 1200 flags to get 132k. It'll go down tomorrow, but would like to stay Top 10k or so this round. We get around 1100 flags per round and I skipped spending any in Round 1, so am thinking about doing a 1400/1900 split for these last 2 rounds. There are probably a decent amount of people that are just going to dump everything into Round 3, so hopefully a score around 210k will be a decent tier.

haha and here with Minerva 68640 is rank 5018, literally just outside top 5k

You kind of screwed yourself in round 1, but if you have so many extra flags, you should be able to get 3000 Feathers in round 2 and 3.

I'm ranked 557 on Team Subaki, and I still have 105 flags left over. That gives you a small idea of how it is on other teams. My cumulative rank is 657.

I lost several matches on Palla's team, but my frequency of play still got me top rank in her army. I'm now winning almost every match on Subaki's team.

Jims

Wait, Flags don't expire?
Augh, I should've saved some.

I feel like everyone on the same team who spends all 3300 flags over the course of the 3 rounds will probably end up around the same final feather count anyway (give or take 500 feathers). You beat me by enough in Round 1 in feathers that the difference I beat you in Rounds 2-3 will probably be comparable to canceling out. I don't know how the game theory works in the end with the final numbers with the tiers, but it'll probably be somewhat comparable within teams. I suspect you were probably wiser to spend across all 3 rounds, I wanted to test what going for 2/3 would do.

The real differences will be people's final rewards across different teams.

Like,

haha and here with Minerva 68640 is rank 5018, literally just outside top 5k

Ow, it hurts.

Ninferno

Wait, does Fury count towards BST (and will it after the rule changes)?

Fury 3 counts as plain 12 stats points for now. After the update, all skills will be given scores towards evaluating the overall strength, not just Fury. To illustrate, let say the scales before and after the update are the same, then to give a more "fair" representation of the real strength of Fury 3, it definitely will not carry 12 points because it has 6 HP post-combat penalty that was ignored previously. Maybe a better score to give it would be 8 points or something.

Another example, skills that do not directly affect your BST face value do not affect arena scoring as of now, but they definitely will after the update. Skills like Death or Darting Blow 3 might be worth around 4 points (slightly > 6 / 2). Some skills might be difficult to give a score, for example, Triangle Adept, but IntSys has got to do it. They can always tweak and re-balance this regularly as time goes by.

Danj

Finally pulled Spring Camilla, and I didn't totally blow all my orbs in the process. Thanks, Twitter quiz! In other news, I now have 4 4* Cecilias...yeah. Anything I should consider when putting Escape Route 3 on units?

Lucky :( at this rate I'm not going to have enough orbs for another pull before the event ends...

If I managed to pull a 5* Julia and a Nowi, but both are -atk, are they salvageable?

By the end the event, top 1000 for Cumulative is won by people who never sleep more than 30 minutes and people who were able to get all flags quest done without having to ever switch to a non-bonus character.

Lol I wouldn't go THAT far. Depending on how many more dedicated players entered this time compared to the previous voting gauntlet, getting into top 1k cumulative should still be realistic while still getting decent sleep. Last time I managed to get there while still sleeping, sometimes accidentally using the wrong unit, and with a few losses. Granted, that stil requires having to check the game every 30 minutes while awake.

Top 500 or so? Yeah those are the people that never sleep.

If I managed to pull a 5* Julia and a Nowi, but both are -atk, are they salvageable?

Lol I wouldn't go THAT far. Depending on how many more dedicated players entered this time compared to the previous voting gauntlet, getting into top 1k cumulative should still be realistic while still getting decent sleep. Last time I managed to get there while still sleeping, sometimes accidentally using the wrong unit, and with a few losses. Granted, that stil requires having to check the game every 30 minutes while awake.

Top 500 or so? Yeah those are the people that never sleep.

What was your final cumulative score and rank last time?

What was your final cumulative score and rank last time?

iirc the rank was in the 900s with around 137k
points. I played every time I could and used most of my Light's Blessings with most of those almost impossible matchups (a team of Takumi and Robin really hard countered Team Ephraim depending on the map) . I don't have the best sleep schedule but iirc I still managed to get 6-8 hours of sleep each day of the gauntlet.

iirc the rank was in the 900s with around 137k
points. I played every time I could and used most of my Light's Blessings with most of those almost impossible matchups (a team of Takumi and Robin really hard countered Team Ephraim depending on the map) . I don't have the best sleep schedule but iirc I still managed to get 6-8 hours of sleep each day of the gauntlet.

hmm digging back last time I had 136060 score/1289 rank and I know I threw away at least 1500 points on inefficient distribution/not having the bonus on top of an extra 1k for some other circumstances, as well as occasionally losing matches (level 1 strat this time ftw)...I got this

Cerium

This bunny gatcha is making me hate Lucina.

Hate.

Get her out of Smash, replace her with Lyn. Lyn would never hurt me like this!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Apparently only a single person on my friends list is on team Subaki, who has a level 40 bunny Chrom. The Subaki i'm sending in is level 15, so Chrom just destroys everyone, who is in the 20s.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if the April update is next week. Feels like the game is low in stuff to do right now. Voting Gauntlet isn't that exciting.

Roman

I feel they are really dropping the ball by not having a real orb login bonus in a period where they offer 4 banners and a community event that encourages rolling.

yeah i can't roll shit anymore. i had 18 orbs and thought i'd try again for hinoka. obviously i didn't get shit

maybe i'll be able to roll again in another couple weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom