• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSMrRound

Tried dropping some orbs for Kagero. Never again.

Endless streams of Virions and Serras that's enough to give me nightmares. *pukes* was even worse than the Bartes and Arthurs that I got trying for the Spring banner

Only thing of note was a 5* Sakura...which I already have one of.

Time to hibernate on the orbs till the Choose Your Legends banner finally appears.

Scum

Tried dropping some orbs for Kagero. Never again.

Endless streams of Virions and Serras that's enough to give me nightmares. *pukes* was even worse than the Bartes and Arthurs that I got trying for the Spring banner

Only thing of note was a 5* Sakura...which I already have one of.

Time to hibernate on the orbs till the Choose Your Legends banner finally appears.

I know your pain, mate. I, too, would love a top notch Colourless but if I see another Serra, I swear!
LLShC.gif

Mupod

Haven't used any flags yet, I've cleared all the quests so far by just autobattling with level 1s. Problem is I won't have as much free time tomorrow and monday so here's hoping I can actually USE all of them. There's no guarantee that I can win my battles because I only have a 4*, level 40 Camilla. But my friends list is nicely curated and full of Hectors/Takumis.

I'll just save orbs for now...if the next 'main' banner has some good reds I'll try there for an arena bonus unit, but so far I've yet to find one outside of the very first week.

I haven't really played this kind of game before. Is there a general refusal to have any kind of crafting system or some kind of way to spend resources to get a specific unit? I've only dealt with card games and if you stick it out long enough you'll eventually get what you want in those.

Like, if you really like a particular FE game you really can't expect to run a themed team. I've spent $10 on this and felt like a complete idiot with how garbage the odds are. I've spent 200 orbs before and got nothing. Am I supposed to spend $150 on orbs to do better? Even then I couldn't guarantee I'd get what I want.

This is a deeply insidious business model.

I haven't really played this kind of game before. Is there a general refusal to have any kind of crafting system or some kind of way to spend resources to get a specific unit? I've only dealt with card games and if you stick it out long enough you'll eventually get what you want in those.

Like, if you really like a particular FE game you really can't expect to run a themed team. I've spent $10 on this and felt like a complete idiot with how garbage the odds are. I've spent 200 orbs before and got nothing. Am I supposed to spend $150 on orbs to do better? Even then I couldn't guarantee I'd get what I want.

This is a deeply insidious business model.

I think feathers are supposed to be that resource, being converted from units you don't care about so you can get a 5* character you actually want in a similar fashion to dupes / gold in Overwatch being exchanged for things you actually want. It's just that you need to get a sub-5* version of that character first when some characters are 5* exclusive (not that 4* versions existing has helped me not spend $120 to still not get the character >.>).

Would love a way to just get the character I want directly, but I suppose that would get in the way of the gacha business model. :s

Sushen

I used up all my flags for this round in team Subaki and
C85OTS9VwAI-OeC.jpg

...well this is kinda frustrating
Somehow this round is more fierce competition against Camilla. I expected to lose and the voting to be relaxing but it doesn't look like I can even make it to top 1000 even if I spend all my flags. Hmmm

....where were you aiming in R1? even top 1k you should've had flags to spare

On Team Palla after using up all but 100 flags I was around #980 in the afternoon of the last day, so it wouldn't have lasted. I probably should've made a smaller push at the end but that still wouldn't have left me with many flags to spare.

I think feathers are supposed to be that resource, being converted from units you don't care about so you can get a 5* character you actually want in a similar fashion to dupes / gold in Overwatch being exchanged for things you actually want. It's just that you need to get a sub-5* version of that character first when some characters are 5* exclusive (not that 4* versions existing has helped me not spend $120 to still not get the character >.>).

Would love a way to just get the character I want directly, but I suppose that would get in the way of the gacha business model. :s

I always assumed that the rotating hero maps was supposed to be a way to do this. It would change every month or two and would allow people to get low ranking versions of 3/4* units that they could bring up to 5*. Feels like they forgot it was a feature though, since we;ve heard nothing about them changing those base heroes out, and since they are one and done maps everyone just ignores it now.

I always assumed that the rotating hero maps was supposed to be a way to do this. It would change every month or two and would allow people to get low ranking versions of 3/4* units that they could bring up to 5*. Feels like they forgot it was a feature though, since we;ve heard nothing about them changing those base heroes out, and since they are one and done maps everyone just ignores it now.

I forgot about those too >.> But yeah, the systems are in place. Just a matter of actually using them, but whether they will be used is another matter. Obviously, they want people to pull, and putting out 1*s of 5* units would get in the way of that.

At least it's a good thing for new players because they won't miss getting a free Olivia.

Yeah, they still are trying to welcome newbies, I suppose. Well, were until this week as 2 orbs/day has finally stopped.

Maybe they'll finally rotate them out with the launch of Arena 2.0.

sense

So contemplating upgrading between three units to 5 stars. Any thoughts?

Corrin(f) - mostly to give dark breath + to tiki
Reinhardt - seems like a good tome user and I only have a green tome user in spring Camilla
Klein - is he better than takumi?

Already have the following as five stars

Colorless - takumi (-atk +hp),
Red - Elrika, Lucina, tiki(y),
Blue - nowi, catria, ephraim,
Green - Camilla, spring Camilla, spring chrom

Shinypogs

OK a + attack Spring Camilla buffed by hone atk and hitting a unit that just had it's res sealed is filthy and so fucking enjoyable. Like she'll never be Nino levels of broken but she still hits like a god damn truck and with gronnraven and triangle adept 2, archers and ninjas can fuck right off.

Team Tanky mages is so fun. I really really wish I'd been able to roll a Ninian to replace Olivia with just complete the all mage theme.

They should definitely rotate the other free heroes but leave Olivia.

My 2200 flags is ready for final round. Even not spending any flags on subaki still puts me mid lower tier

Just want to see if it's possible to splurge for top tier on camilla at final round

Gotchaye

FYI, there's no reason to go all-out for the top tier in the final round at the cost of better placement in the current round. For every tier up to the top 30k, the rewards for the final round are just 1000 feathers more than the rewards for the other rounds. So you're indifferent between going top 10k then top 30k and going top 30k then top 10k.

The main thing to keep in mind when thinking about the reward tiers is that the separation is pretty uneven. 1000 people end in tier 1, 4000 in tier 2, 5000 in tier 3, 20000 in tier 4, and 20000 in tier 5. But you get the same 400 feathers per tier for moving up after tier 4. A tier 3 finish (or tier 5 in the final round) is very inefficient -- you only had to do better than ~50% of the players immediately ahead of you to get 400 more feathers. Whereas at tier 2 you have to pass 80% of the people ahead of you to place better and at tier 4 you have to pass 67% of everyone ahead of you to place in a better tier (or 80% of the people just in your tier and the next tier up).

Saving every flag for the last round is objectively the least efficient move to make I think. Ignoring the victory reward, assuming you got top tier at the final round at the cost of placing anywhere in the previous tier gets you 4.5k feathers. Placing in the first tier in r1 and then in the second for r2 gives you 4.6k feathers already. So even if you were to do nothing in the final round you'd end up with 5.6k feathers.

Reinhardt - seems like a good tome user and I only have a green tome user in spring Camilla

Klein's great in my experience using him in the gauntlet. So long as he's not -Atk, he'll probably do more work than Takumi as he usually won't need Close Counter to finish the job, especially if he's been Atk-buffed.

Reinhardt's similar to Klein in how he's all about killing without fear of retaliation and also a good pick as a result, better pick if you give him Death Blow, damn good pick if you give him Death Blow and glue Gunter to him.

CorrinF for Dark Breath+ on Tiki, I'll leave to you. Never did like the initiation requirement, but I suppose not having a crew with any positioning skills to assist didn't help when I used her.

Roman

You already have a 5* Nowi so I don't see much of a point in investing this heavily into Tiki.

Reinhardt is pretty good and you are lacking blue range besides Nowi, but his stat total is very low in comparison.

Klein is also good but you might as well invest in a Setsuna.

Bottom line I would probably hold off. If I really wanted to promote someone I would make it Reinhardt, but you already have more than viable 5*s.

Saving every flag for the last round is objectively the least efficient move to make I think. Ignoring the victory reward, assuming you got top tier at the final round at the cost of placing anywhere in the previous tier gets you 4.5k feathers. Placing in the first tier in r1 and then in the second for r2 gives you 4.6k feathers already. So even if you were to do nothing in the final round you'd end up with 5.6k feathers.

To be fair, a major complicating factor here (at least on not-Camilla, using Minerva here) is that you can rank top 30k R1/top 50k R2 (I think) without spending a single flag.

Still though, I agree hoarding everything for the final round is probably very inefficient, a top 70k performance in the final round beats that strat.

To be fair, a major complicating factor here (at least on not-Camilla, using Minerva here) is that you can rank top 30k R1/top 50k R2 (I think) without spending a single flag.

Still though, I agree hoarding everything for the final round is probably very inefficient.

I picked loser armies so far and in 10k to 30k tier for both without spending flags. Beruka and subaki for me.

Still though, I agree hoarding everything for the final round is probably very inefficient, a top 70k performance in the final round beats that strat.

Yeah that makes things not as simple.

Right now I have the dilemma of either switching to Camilla in the finals for the victory award and because I do have her, or switch to Minerva for a higher rank at the cost of 12k points in the cumulative ranking :/

Dee Dee

I spent 120 Orbs on the Effie Banner (do we call it the Effie banner?) and don't have much to show for, but yeah.

I got Effie. At 4*. So there's that.
5* Seliph and 5* Jaffar. It's not the best, but much better then the 5* Ogma who I pulled after spending money on the initial heroes banner when the game came out. (urgh)

I also ended up with 4* Reinhardt, 4* Abel, 3* Nino and some other units that I feel good about (Est seems really good for some reason, maybe that's just low level impressions, Hinata is holding up well, interested to see if Sheena and Lilina do good...)

I feel bad to be down to 95 Orbs after this and the Spring Banner disaster (108 Orbs with only Bunny Xander showing up). I was saving for the legends banner, but it's just never coming out, is it? I'll be so disappointed once it is there, and I can't drop orbs on it.

My 5* roster is now:
Grey: Takumi (+ATK/-SPD), Jaffar
Blue: Sharena, Bunny Xander (-ATK/+RES why...)
Red: Ogma, Seliph

I usually don't check the IVs for the 5*, since they are at 5* anyway, no need to consider this for costs of updating, and from my luck so far it's unlikely I'll have a duplicate 5* anyway.

I also have quite the pool of dupes now that I can burn for skill inheritance experiments. Not interested in upping the rarity of anyone to get higher skill levels much though, since I'm saving feathers to up Anna as my green 5*.

I thought of giving Takumi Renewal 3 from a dupe Fae (restores 10 HP every second turn), but not sure if that's helpful in Arena - thoughts?
(I'd give him Vantage if I had a dupe with that, but I'm not ready to sacrifice my shiny new Reinhardt for this.)
Other then Vantage, what do people put as a passive B skill for Takumi?

I'm outside of the top 1000 of Subaki's Army even though I used all my round 2 flags and got several wins with him as a bonus unit.

My cumulative is 347, so some these high ranking probably just didn't use flags in the first round.

2100 Feathers is still a good round 2 payout, and the 3000 Feather prize for the whole thing is still within my reach.

Yeah that makes things not as simple.

Right now I have the dilemma of either switching to Camilla in the finals for the victory award and because I do have her, or switch to Minerva for a higher rank at the cost of 12k points in the cumulative ranking :/

If you don't have Minerva, don't join her team. It's that simple. How do you expect to rank high in her army when other people will actually deploy her? And you already realize how your overall score will be affected.

I picked Palla and Subaki, because I had them ready to go. Now I'm moving over to Camilla, because I'm lucky enough to have her.

If you don't have Minerva, don't join her team. It's that simple. How do you expect to rank high in her army when other people will actually deploy her? And you already realize how your overall score will be affected.

I picked Palla and Subaki, because I had them ready to go. Now I'm moving over to Camilla, because I'm lucky enough to have her.

I just expect the difference in numbers to be THAT big.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Five star promotion suggestions?

Cordelia, Cherche, or Nino? I already have Julia so not certain if I need Nino right now since I have a lack of flying units at 5 star outside of Camilla.

Roman

Five star promotion suggestions?

Cordelia, Cherche, or Nino? I already have Julia so not certain if I need Nino right now since I have a lack of flying units at 5 star outside of Camilla.

Having only this information I would say Cherche but need to know more.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Having only this information I would say Cherche but need to know more.

I have 20+ Five Stars including MRobin, Hector, Effie, Nowi, Linde, Klein, Julia, Marth, Camilla, Eirika, Seliph, etc. What I'm missing is more horse and flying units since together I only have two with Leo and Camilla.

Firemind

I don't know why but I keep facing more Takumis in the arena. Not that I'm complaining. Kagero eats him for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. I gave her Savage Blow (not that she needs it against Takumi) but it's pretty useful to soften up surrounding foes so that Kagero can OHKO the tankier units after a dance. Maybe I'll give her Poison Strike too...

Scum

I don't know why but I keep facing more Takumis in the arena. Not that I'm complaining. Kagero eats him for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. I gave her Savage Blow (not that she needs it against Takumi) but it's pretty useful to soften up surrounding foes so that Kagero can OHKO the tankier units after a dance. Maybe I'll give her Poison Strike too...
Fliers, innit.

c-murph

Geezus. How do some people have characters with 40+10 lvs? Getting feathers to unlock characters potentials takes months.

redcrayon

Geezus. How do some people have characters with 40+10 lvs? Getting feathers to unlock characters potentials takes months.
Whales spending silly amounts of money. I don't think it necessarily takes 'months'- the games been out for two months and I've upgraded two characters from 4* to 5* without spending a penny. What it does take is getting a reasonable arena streak in each season, combined with logging in to get the bonuses.

It does take a long time, but I look at it that I'm a FTP player and I've already got around 8 5* units- if it was any quicker people would have hoards of them, and they are supposed to be rare.

Roman

I have 20+ Five Stars including MRobin, Hector, Effie, Nowi, Linde, Klein, Julia, Marth, Camilla, Eirika, Seliph, etc. What I'm missing is more horse and flying units since together I only have two with Leo and Camilla.

You could still promote Cherche but with so many good units you don't really need to.

Firemind

Whales spending silly amounts of money. I don't think it necessarily takes 'months'- the games been out for two months and I've upgraded two characters from 4* to 5* without spending a penny. What it does take is getting a reasonable arena streak in each season, combined with logging in to get the bonuses.

It does take a long time, but I look at it that I'm a FTP player and I've already got around 8 5* units- if it was any quicker people would have hoards of them, and they are supposed to be rare.
Spending 20k feathers just to gain two stat points seems kind of, eh. Not sure if worth it.

Featured character I can understand for whales. However, when I see a full team with like 3 unfeatured characters at 40+10, I have trouble believing that it's legit. Maybe a few very HUGE spenders here and there have real teams like that but a bunch of them have to be hacks.

Bovine

Neo Member
I spent 20k feathers on a Hawkeye so I could give Death Blow 3 to my Olwen. I know 4 star Klein also has it, but I don't have a Klein and my 4 star units are rather underwhelming, no one really worth promoting. Probably will hit 20k again after the end of the gauntlet and this weeks arena anyway.

Vena

It sure is hard staying in the top 5000 for Minerva...

...without ever using Minerva. Cherche should could as Minerva, she rides Minerva after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom