• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seik

Banned
The most satisfying level up. <3

PFBXC1O.jpg

My ID is 7343052442 btw if anyone wanna add me. :)

But that's the thing isn't it? If you're a whale, you're already going to be pulling 5-stars regularly, and the upgrade mechanic is just going to give you MORE 5-stars. My point is that for someone who doesn't pull that often and lacks 5-stars, the "dream" of upgrading units to 5-stars for free is just that... a dream.

Well, depends on how they run this game. It's literally just been out a few days so we don't know what events for freebies they may give.

You can't be number one in a gacha game unless you're competing with whales, and thats a very expensive endeavor. So just play it casually and think long term. In games like these the real power usually comes from events and rarely just regular rolls. Also power creep always seeps into this game so a whale who played day 1 but ends up stopping can end up notably weaker than someone who joins day 700 and just plays through say chapter 30.

So the dream is more like just having patience

Golnei

Does anybody find it weird that the characters Sachiko Wada drew for this game was Virion, Cherche, Marth, and Barst. While Kita Senri has drawn Cecilia and Ryoma?

I was surprised to find out Wada was responsible for Virion's horrific yaoi chin, but not much besides that.

Draxal

I was surprised to find out Wada was responsible for Virion's horrific yaoi chin, but not much besides that.

I mean other than Marth and Ryoma, none of those are big characters in the series. You would think they would have had more important characters assigned to them.

Coppanuva

Man my units are weird... right now my team is:

Takumi 5*
Lilina 4*
Jeorge 4*
Roy 5*

My only other decent melee unit is a 3* Gunter (who I kinda like using...) just feels weird being mostly range.

I'm sure this game is quite generous when it comes to 5* units... Almost everyone have one and rerolling isn't pain in the ass if you don't aim for specific rare characters.

Don't forget ever time you pull 5 units and get no 5 stars, your odds of getting a 5 star from that focus increases.

duckroll

"only", there's a reason the guarantee only happens at such a statistically improbable point

Let's be honest though, it is actually far LESS probable that anyone will ever get to "100%" odds because of how probability works. Even at 10% odds, it's pretty unlikely that you won't pull a 5-star pretty quickly.

ggx2ac

Only on one skill that grants def to nearby allies, others weren't interesting.

Remember that the Ward Fliers skill only works with flying units.

Just letting other people know. Gunter has a similar skill called Hone Cavalry which affects only horse mounted units.

And Draug has Ward Armor which affects only heavy armour units.

Let's be honest though, it is actually far LESS probable that anyone will ever get to "100%" odds because of how probability works. Even at 10% odds, it's pretty unlikely that you won't pull a 5-star pretty quickly.

With your luck though you'll probably break the game and get an overflow going past 100% and hitting 1%

Zafir

"only", there's a reason the guarantee only happens at such a statistically improbable point

It's no Granblue Surprise Ticket(where you can pay a small fee and get exactly what you want), but it's better than some games which just don't.

See Brave Exvius where it took me 7 months or whatever to get my first base 5* because the rate is like 1.5% every single time you pull. Doesn't matter if you roll hundreds of times.

Hubb

Even with the banner, Camilla's pull percentage is like 0.83% if you want the 5-star version. That's potentially a lot of re-rolls.

Yes, but if he really wants Camilla he can either do that or potentially spend a lot of money. To each their own, but I would reroll.

...that's what I'm saying
It's no Granblue Surprise Ticket(where you can pay a small fee and get exactly what you want), but it's better than some games which just don't.

See Brave Exvius where it took me 7 months or whatever to get my first base 5* because the rate is like 1.5% every single time you pull. Doesn't matter if you roll hundreds of times.

you're almost 3x more likely to roll all 5*s on your very first roll than to go 120 summons without a single 5*, assuming you summon all 5 every time

Okamid3n

All this talk about upgrading characters to 5-star is bullshit. Has anyone even done it? It takes what, 2000 feathers from 3 to 4, and 20,000 feathers from 4 to 5? Lol.

Gimme a month and I'll do it without spending a cent. Just need to place well in the Arena 4 weeks in a row.

(Of course, maybe it becomes much harder in the future, but right now, I will be getting 4500 feathers from the arena for this first week).

These games are meant to be played for months and months, it's not gonna let you upgrade to five stars on week one.

ggx2ac

Oh, so there is a swap ability in FEHeroes.

Now I remember, I think it was characters like Oboro that had it in Fates. I don't know which characters have it here because I am just looking at one of the generic enemies that can do it.

Zafir

...that's what I'm saying

you're almost 3x more likely to roll all 5*s on your very first roll than to go 120 summons without a single 5*, assuming you summon all 5 every time

Well, yeah, you should in theory since the probability keeps increasing as you roll more and more so you need to be really freaking unlucky to get to the 120 mark.

Either way my argument is that it's a good thing either way, after what I've experienced in other gacha games.

duckroll

Well, yeah, you should in theory since the probability keeps increasing as you roll more and more.

Either way my argument is that it's a good thing either way, after what I've experienced in other gacha games.

While I appreciate there being SOME sort of statistical bonus for people who keep failing to get 5-stars, I don't see how it is better than "other gacha games" considering the norm for pulls is that if you do a multi-pull (usually 5x or 10x depending how expensive pulls are), you are usually guaranteed a 4-star or above equivalent for [x] of those pulls. Usually 2. That feels like a much more attractive probability to me. With FE H you can do 5-pulls and get all 3-stars. That's demoralizing especially when you save up for multipulls.

mstevens

The only problem with the pity pull bonus is that it doesn't carry over to other banners. So you either cash in on one, or start over with the next. Not complaining since it's better than others, but perhaps not as good as it seems.

kswiston

I don't think that the system is designed to get anywhere close to that point. As you point out, even if the 5-star rate remained 6%, you'd have a 99.94% probability of rolling a 5-star within 120 rolls.

By the time you get to Duckroll's 10% chance level, you will have already pulled 40 characters (8 five-man pulls). The chances of getting no 5-star characters in those 40 pulls with the sliding probabilities is about 3.9%. If the chance at a 5-star character remained at 6% indefinitely, you'd have a 8.4% chance of not getting a 5-star character in 40 pulls.

Both percentages are pretty low, but with this system, Nintendo ends up with 46% of the misery that they would have been causing otherwise!

Zafir

While I appreciate there being SOME sort of statistical bonus for people who keep failing to get 5-stars, I don't see how it is better than "other gacha games" considering the norm for pulls is that if you do a multi-pull (usually 5x or 10x depending how expensive pulls are), you are usually guaranteed a 4-star or above equivalent for [x] of those pulls. Usually 2. That feels like a much more attractive probability to me. With FE H you can do 5-pulls and get all 3-stars. That's demoralizing especially when you save up for multipulls.
I suppose that is true.

I suppose really it's too early to really say whether it's better. Considering there doesn't actually seem to be any kind of limit to what you can have on your team, it may end up being the case that the meta is everyone using a team of 5* because 4* units can't compete. In that case having a statistical benefit to pulling a 5* seems more luxurious.

I know with Dokkan, although you get a SR by doing a 10pull, many people actually just do singles because SR's aren't really used all that much. The games bloated with SSR's at this point.

Maybe getting 3* to 5* won't be as arduous in the future too, who knows.

1upsuper

Is there a chance that Nintendo could/would ban MyNintendo accounts linked with FEH on an Android emulator like nox or Bluestacks? I'd like to play this on my PC but I don't wanna endanger my account or anything.

Hubb

Is there a chance that Nintendo could/would ban MyNintendo accounts linked with FEH on an Android emulator like nox or Bluestacks? I'd like to play this on my PC but I don't wanna endanger my account or anything.

I can't think of any reason they would as long as you aren't hacking/exploiting.

kswiston

From the games I have played, 4* characters are way more usable at this point in the game than the equivalent in some other gatchas.

In Tales of Link, 4-star characters are a step above trash. They are also stuck as 4* characters forever. The only reason you would ever use them is because the 5* drop rate sucks, and it takes awhile to build up your collection of 5* units (before you are good enough to win all the free ones).

In Brave Exvius, getting a 4* character doesn't really mean anything, since plenty of characters top out at 4* (and are almost universally useless). You'd end up with whole squads of Marias and Cyans. On the other hand, there were plenty of base 3 characters who you could upgrade to upper tier. Getting a 5* character drop in Brave Exvius was also ridiculously hard. Way harder than FE Heroes.

It does seem like few base-3 characters will be upper tier in Fire Emblem Heroes. Robin and old Tiki are S-tier in this ranking: http://feheroes.wiki, and there are a bunch in the A tier, but you aren't going to get a Takumi level character from a 3-star pull. However, there are plenty of great base-4 characters. And, unlike Brave Exvius, most of their best skills are available to the 4-star version.

Cryxok

From the games I have played, 4* characters are way more usable at this point in the game than the equivalent in some other gatchas.

In Tales of Link, 4-star characters are a step above trash. They are also stuck as 4* characters forever. The only reason you would ever use them is because the 5* drop rate sucks, and it takes awhile to build up your collection of 5* units (before you are good enough to win all the free ones).

In Brave Exvius, getting a 4* character doesn't really mean anything, since plenty of characters top out at 4* (and are almost universally useless). You'd end up with whole squads of Marias and Cyans. On the other hand, there were plenty of base 3 characters who you could upgrade to upper tier. Getting a 5* character drop in Brave Exvius was also ridiculously hard. Way harder than FE Heroes.

It does seem like few base-3 characters will be upper tier in Fire Emblem Heroes. Robin and old Tiki are S-tier in this ranking: http://feheroes.wiki, and there are a bunch in the A tier, but you aren't going to get a Takumi level character from a 3-star pull. However, there are plenty of great base-4 characters. And, unlike Brave Exvius, most of their best skills are available to the 4-star version.

Another example: In Summoners War getting a natural 5* is something that may take months. I actually never got one. Plenty of 4*s are in the upper tiers tho and even some 3*s are usable. Eventually, more ways to get 5*s were added but I never pulled one from a Scroll.
It may be too soon to say FE:H's tiers are accurate but from the looks of it, 4*s and even some 3*s are viable despite 5*s not being as rare as in other gachas.

Nekomaru

Neo Member
Holy shit. Been re-rolling for a whole day for Hector, maybe Its time for me to stop :O
Add me guys. Friend ID: 6268560437

I5TanPY.jpg

Wiseblade

That works for games where there is a wider range in character grading and there's no efficiency bonus for multi-pulls. To use Terra Battle as an example, there's more range in the B-Z class range to explicitly guarantee a high grade character and doing a 10 pull costs the same as doing 10 individual draws. FEH also has a higher base chance of any one pull being a tip level unit.

The thing TB does that really give their approach to pulls an edge (beyond being very liberal with premium currency) is giving the option of taking characters out of the rotation. The worst case scenario in FEH would be to pull a duplicate 5* after a long drought, resetting the pity count. At least in TB there is a hard limit on how unlucky you can be and a player can brute force high graded pulls by removing low grade ones from the possible pool.

Even though I have two account saved elsewhere (5* Lyn/Hector and 5* Camilla/Takumi) I just rolled one with 5* Leo/Elise and 4* Cherche(just a favorite). Considering there are not focus characters and I have more chance to pull Lin, Takumi or Camilla in my next 2 20 Orbs pull, I feel like going with this account. Um...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom