• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just relying on character tier isn't enough. As great as having a 5* takumi is he'll still get bodied by a 5* Robin or hell maybe even a 4* Kagero. Do deal with chapters you either have to have a team that hard counters the enemy setup, or a generic team that can handle all threats. Abuse the weapons triangle as much as possible.

To go beyond that you also need to look at the skills your team has. Do they synergize well. Do you have ally buffs that buff your teams main strengths or do you have movement skills that can help you get into position to take out more enemies.

Check the hard modes for earlier maps. Some of them have lower level requirements than the later normal chapters.

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind.

Sakura

That's actually exactly how I expect the AI to work though. Mechanically, it is far harder to script AI routines which take into consideration the outcome multiple turns in the future. It's possible, but often not worth it in SRPG where the challenge can come from so many other factors. Be able to use characters you don't need to "bait" an enemy while your stronger character goes in for the kill is satisfying enough for most people, even if the logic is faulty at times.

Keep in mind that in your particular situation, for the enemy to not prioritize killing Clarine, it would need to track so many more factors - Are all his allies really dead? Is he actually able to kill Eliwood before he is killed? Are there really no other player characters left alive? Because only in this unique situation would it make sense to specifically attack Eliwood over Clarine.

While predicting outcomes several turns in the future may be difficult to do, I don't think it would be that difficult to have some checks like,'which characters can do damage to you, how much health you have left, whether you can kill something in one attack, etc. essentially checks to determine which characters are the biggest threat. Attack healer/weaker unit first seems kind of overly simple.

Nori Chan

I'm with you. If we could either bring 5 party members and if we could see not only what colors the enemies are, but also more specifics (flying, armored, etc), I would be wasting a lot less stamina. You can only counter so much with 4 units.

Get the 2 free ones so that you have 17. Pull 4 units. If you don't get a 5* I would highly recommend deleting the app and doing the prologue again (should only take a couple minutes) and repeat the process until you have one good 5* unit. You'll regret not doing it if you get far into the game and have bad luck with pulls. This is the only time you can pull over and over until you're happy without spending money.

get 20 orbs and then re-roll until you get 1+ 5* unit and some 4*
Do I have to delete the app or the memory within the app to do so?

Quonny

6* will take a long time to.become a thing. We might get augments, enhancements, skill slots, dual wielding, accessories, pairing skills, and so on, but 6* won't come to pass anytime soon. It's just not how these games work when you invest in a star ranking that doesn't transfer.

Maybe years from now.

duckroll

While predicting outcomes several turns in the future may be difficult to do, I don't think it would be that difficult to have some checks like,'which characters can do damage to you, how much health you have left, whether you can kill something in one attack, etc. essentially checks to determine which characters are the biggest threat. Attack healer/weaker unit first seems kind of overly simple.

If a character cannot damage you and you can kill the character, why wouldn't you maje that move normally? The only reason would be if there is another target which could kill you in two turns who you might be able to kill first, and all your other party members are dead and those two enemies are the only ones left alive. See how this is a specific scenario which would require very advanced AI scripting to make the "right" move which is super obvious to a human player?

mstevens

6* will never become a thing. We might get augments, enhancements, skill slots, dual wielding, accessories, pairing skills, and so on, but 6* won't come to pass. It's just not how these games work.

Maybe years from now.

Did FFBE launch with a 5* or 6* star cap? I honestly don't know.

I just figured that's a regular part of the power creep.

chrono01

Thinking back, it would have been a nice gesture if Nintendo had given new players enough feathers/materials to evolve a 3* to 4*, and a 4* to 5*, just to off-set those early pulls in-case you didn't get anything. It definitely would have made it easier to enable people to flesh out their teams, without needing to get obscenely lucky in the gatcha, since most would have been able to re-roll for a single 5* along with a 4*, and later easily evolve that 4* into another 5* (assuming a 5* evolution for that particular one was available). Not only that, but it would have taught players how to evolve their units in the first place, and served as a tutorial.

But who knows? Maybe they'll have event maps soon enough (or dailies) that give out bundles of feathers for completing them. In any case, they really need to make the evolving of characters easier. I get that you can earn some in Arena, as well as for Greeting others players (as well as releasing your extra units obtained via the gatcha), but there has to be a better way than that. If not, then they need to drastically reduce the amount needed to evolve, as by the time you pulled enough dupes to lower the cost needed to do so you probably would have earned enough feathers anyway, if you simply released the units you did pull.

Also, I wonder if they'll ever make equipment a thing. It saddens me knowing I can't equip anything, except skills, on my characters. :(

zohar

Neo Member
6* will never become a thing. We might get augments, enhancements, skill slots, dual wielding, accessories, pairing skills, and so on, but 6* won't come to pass. It's just not how these games work.

Maybe years from now.
That was a quick turn from "never" to a "maybe"...

They will come. Not talking months, but I agree, in 1-2 years.

Quonny

That was a quick turn from "never" to a "maybe"...

They will come. Not talking months, but I agree, in 1-2 years.
Yeah I went back and missed one "never" when I edited.

The fact that you lose fusing dupe bonuses when you upgrade stars means if they put it out too quick they'd potentially burn a lot of people.

Starborn

Neo Member
I just downloaded this game and thought it's pretty good. Are there other free to play android games that are a must? I also downloaded pokemon go. Any others?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the easiest way to up the power level is to allow units to promote in a more FE like way. LIke allow Takumi to go from his Archer class to Pegasus Knight Archer.

Sakura

If a character cannot damage you and you can kill the character, why wouldn't you maje that move normally? The only reason would be if there is another target which could kill you in two turns who you might be able to kill first, and all your other party members are dead and those two enemies are the only ones left alive. See how this is a specific scenario which would require very advanced AI scripting to make the "right" move which is super obvious to a human player?

How many characters are left?
Which characters can kill you?
Which characters can you kill in one attack?
Etc
It may sound like a lot when you type it in text, but I don't think it is very advanced AI scripting, nor do I think it would be something that difficult to actually implement.
I believe simpler AI was a conscious decision on the part of the devs to have the game be more accessible, in the same realm as why there is no evasion/accuracy, limits on ability/attack usage, etc.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think they should make it so repeated attacks get a +1 attack bonus each time, to stop the situation where both characters just do 0 damage.

jwhit28

Man, I just realized that when 6* ever becomes a thing, we're going to lose any +levels we've merged onto our 5* units!

At least you should get the feather discount for merging them. 5* -> 6* will probably be like 50,000 feathers or something crazy.

Slashlen

My 803-3003 issue is gone, it's working on my phone now. I'm not actually sure why. Because there seems to be nothing on this issue, I'm just going to leave a summary of everything for anyone else who runs into it.

On Saturday I became unable to log in, getting the 3003 error. I cleared my data and tried again. Didn't work. I uninstalled the app and downloaded it again. Still didn't work. I tried it again several times. Each time it would fail at the end of the big data download, which is after I linked my account. Phone is not rooted, I downloaded from the Play Store in my region each time.

On Sunday, near the 24 hour mark but not quite there, I tried it on a cheap tablet and was able to use my account. My phone still wasn't working. Several hours later(post Super Bowl, after 24 hours), I tried reinstalling and it worked. No idea why.

chrono01

My 803-3003 issue is gone, it's working on my phone now. I'm not actually sure why. Because there seems to be nothing on this issue, I'm just going to leave a summary of everything for anyone else who runs into it.

On Saturday I became unable to log in, getting the 3003 error. I cleared my data and tried again. Didn't work. I uninstalled the app and downloaded it again. Still didn't work. I tried it again several times. Each time it would fail at the end of the big data download, which is after I linked my account.

On Sunday, near the 24 hour mark but not quite there, I tried it on a cheap tablet and was able to use my account. My phone still wasn't working. Several hours later(post Super Bowl, after 24 hours), I tried reinstalling and it worked. No idea why.
Are you playing on a rooted phone? Maybe what you experienced was a type of ban or something, and after a certain period of time the restriction was lifted?

volgihn

Has anyone had any trouble while linking your account? I recently installed the game on my iPad. When I run the app on my phone I have 90 orbs and when I run it on the iPad it shows 0.

duckroll

How many characters are left?
Which characters can kill you?
Which characters can you kill in one attack?
Etc
It may sound like a lot when you type it in text, but I don't think it is very advanced AI scripting, nor do I think it would be something that difficult to actually implement.
I believe simpler AI was a conscious decision on the part of the devs to have the game be more accessible, in the same realm as why there is no evasion/accuracy, limits on ability/attack usage, etc.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The conditions are only one element in the AI logic. What you do with the conditions is what matters.

"How many characters are left?" -> how do you use this result alone to calculate an action? You can't, it's worthless without context. For this to be worthwhile tracking at all, you would need to be prepared to design the logic flow for a bunch of outcomes involving what to do depending whether there are:
a) multiple player characters alive, multiple enemy characters alive
d) multiple player characters alive, only 1 enemy character alive
c) only 1 player character left alive, multiple enemy characters alive
d) only 1 player character left alive, only 1 enemy character alive

This is the most basic series of condition sets. That quadruples all possible decisions at any given time. The same is true for all additional conditions being tracked. The more you track, the more logic is involved. This isn't really hard to do or super advanced AI, but it gets exponentially more complicated to a point where it is just not worth it unless you want to create a hardcore experience. And honestly, if we're talking about a hardcore experience, before any AI tuning, the first thing I would change are fundamental game design elements like death penalty which changes the way the player approaches the game rather than how the game reacts to the player. Which is what I suggested to begin with!

Golnei

How long must we wait and suffer?

tumblr_okxhbk8fwT1u8aummo1_500.gif

I think the easiest way to up the power level is to allow units to promote in a more FE like way. LIke allow Takumi to go from his Archer class to Pegasus Knight Archer.

Proper class changes would work against the gacha core of the game - units tied inextricably to a specific class or weapon feeds into the constant need to pull. You can't make units too versatile or give them too many options without diminishing that - it's probably why the avatar isn't a unit here either.

I did what I have never done with any other mobile gacha game before and actually cleared all of the story content. The fact that by the time the chapters are actually difficult it really feels like a FE game kept me coming back, the FE crack is real.

Jayhawk

Man, that's really strange then.

Whatever it was, I'm glad it's working for you now!

When is chrono01 gonna friend my account that I probably spent too much on? Picture below. Probably should have saved orbs for next banners. I leveled up two Camillas too much before realizing that one was +SPD,-DEF and the other one was +DEF,-SPD. I think I'll go with the +SPD one.

muu

How long must we wait and suffer?

tumblr_okxhbk8fwT1u8aummo1_500.gif

Proper class changes would work against the gacha core of the game - units tied inextricably to a specific class or weapon feeds into the constant need to pull. You can't make units too versatile or give them too many options without diminishing that - it's probably why the avatar isn't a unit here either.

With the way the game works it would have been just fine IMO to gate the 20-40 level progression using level limit break items. Let the limit break be a class change, provide a modest boost in stats and access to additional abilities. I think people are feeling cheated because traditional roadblocks like this don't exist, and they're all focusing on what realistically should be a long-term, endgame upgrade.

chrono01

When is chrono01 gonna friend my account that I probably spent too much on? Picture below. Probably should have saved orbs for next banners. I leveled up two Camillas too much before realizing that one was +SPD,-DEF and the other one was +DEF,-SPD. I think I'll go with the +SPD one.
Wow, that's a great account! I'd whale it up a bit, but a five-pull here in Canada costs just under $18. :(

As for Friending you, I can post my ID in a bit. I don't have to my phone right now, so I can't look it up. Or you can post yours and I can add you, either works!

ggx2ac

What's your ranking in the arena?

Jayhawk

Wow, that's a great account! I'd whale it up a bit, but a five-pull here in Canada costs just under $18. :(

As for Friending you, I can post my ID in a bit. I don't have to my phone right now, so I can't look it up. Or you can post yours and I can add you, either works!

I am also Canadian! The most expensive option actually didn't provide the best orb/dollar value. The second-most did. I think this is true for some other currencies. 8254006200 is my Nintendo ID #.

What's your ranking in the arena?

Low. I picked expert a few times just for shits and giggles. Ended up losing against level 40s.

watershed

Banned
Just downloaded the game. My ID code is 9928147238. Why doesn't this game link to our friend's list through the Nintendo account? Are those not linked? I feel like my Miitomo friends should automatically be on my friend list in FE Heroes if they also have the game.

chrono01

I am also Canadian! The most expensive option actually didn't provide the best orb/dollar value. The second-most did. I think this is true for some other currencies. 8254006200 is my Nintendo ID #.
Oh man, my condolences to your wallet, haha.

Still, incredible account! I'm tempted to ask how much you spent, but such knowledge is probably left unknown. You're definitely good for a while though, that character box should be able to handle any of the upcoming content. You're making it hard for me not to open my wallet, but I'll resist for now. Too many games coming out, I have to budget accordingly. -_-

Jayhawk

Oh man, my condolences to your wallet, haha.

Still, incredible account! I'm tempted to ask how much you spent, but such knowledge is probably left unknown. You're definitely good for a while though, that character box should be able to handle any of the upcoming content. You're making it hard for me not to open my wallet, but I'll resist for now. Too many games coming out, I have to budget accordingly. -_-

I was hoping for off-banner 5* like Hector or Linde. 2 Ryoma were the only off-banner 5* I ended up pulling. Lesson learned. I shall only whale for banner waifus.

ggx2ac

And my rank is at ~1200, it mattered when I was at 828 but dropping under 1000 meant losing 500 feathers. Considering I'm not dropping fast means it's unlikely for me to drop to the next tier which is below 5000.

Low. I picked expert a few times just for shits and giggles. Ended up losing against level 40s.

Oh. Didn't notice you weren't at max level yet. I just assumed you would have been high from using characters that give the bonus score.

Jayhawk

Oh. Didn't notice you weren't at max level yet. I just assumed you would have been high from using characters that give the bonus score.

Leveled 8 units to the high 20s now, and working on another set of 4 units to the same range. Trying to build a diverse set of units, instead of rushing 4 to 40. Cordelia might be the 4* I upgrade first based on current tier lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom