• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Another example: In Summoners War getting a natural 5* is something that may take months. I actually never got one. Plenty of 4*s are in the upper tiers tho and even some 3*s are usable. Eventually, more ways to get 5*s were added but I never pulled one from a Scroll.
It may be too soon to say FE:H's tiers are accurate but from the looks of it, 4*s and even some 3*s are viable despite 5*s not being as rare as in other gachas.

Units will shift up and down in the ranking, but right now, there isn't any content that is locked out from you because you don't have the right base-5 characters. You won't get a top 100 placement in the arena, but you weren't getting that placement anyhow unless you are on the all krill diet.

nubbe

Holy shit. Been re-rolling for a whole day for Hector, maybe Its time for me to stop :O
Add me guys. Friend ID: 6268560437

I5TanPY.jpg

Don't give up!
Hector or bust

I feel like I'm somewhat stuck atm without knowing what I should do to maximize my 'army'. I'm on chapter 8 and the enemies (and maps) are starting to give me a real challenge. Most of my characters are under-leveled for chapter 8. I've been using the training tower but I feel like it gave me minimum rewards. By the way, I have five *5 characters (of all types except archer/ninja/healer).

Dreavus

9-4 is kicking my ass damn.

It was definitely my first roadblock.

Just need someone who can one-shot that heavy knight, then the rest of them should charge down the corridor. I had to grind a bit to get to that point. You can use turn one to set everything up just outside his range (he can only move 1).

I feel like I'm somewhat stuck atm without knowing what I should do to maximize my 'army'. I'm on chapter 8 and the enemies (and maps) are starting to give me a real challenge. Most of my characters are under-leveled for chapter 8. I've been using the training tower but I feel like it gave me minimum rewards. By the way, I have five *5 characters (of all types except archer/ninja/healer).

Just relying on character tier isn't enough. As great as having a 5* takumi is he'll still get bodied by a 5* Robin or hell maybe even a 4* Kagero. Do deal with chapters you either have to have a team that hard counters the enemy setup, or a generic team that can handle all threats. Abuse the weapons triangle as much as possible.

To go beyond that you also need to look at the skills your team has. Do they synergize well. Do you have ally buffs that buff your teams main strengths or do you have movement skills that can help you get into position to take out more enemies.

Zafir

Even though I have two account saved elsewhere (5* Lyn/Hector and 5* Camilla/Takumi) I just rolled one with 5* Leo/Elise and 4* Cherche(just a favorite). Considering there are not focus characters and I have more chance to pull Lin, Takumi or Camilla in my next 2 20 Orbs pull, I feel like going with this account. Um...

Even though they're focus characters, there is still a pretty low probability to pull them. Someone said Camilla was like 0.87% or something.

spiritfox

Check the hard modes for earlier maps. Some of them have lower level requirements than the later normal chapters.

kadotsu

Banned
Normal done! I don't think I will continue. The combat isn't satisfying enough to justify the grind with uninteresting dailys/monthlys.

johnsmith

remember me
This isn't as good as FF Record Keeper. I'm already bored.

Hopefully the events will be good.

Record Keeper actually made you level different characters for their access to different skills and weapons, and the harder bosses and events actually required a lot of strategy to beat. This game is mindless so far.

Shadow780

Either they upped the drop rate or I'm just incredibly lucky. Drawed Sakura, Lucina, Young Tiki and Robin in 2 consecutive 5-draws.

PK Gaming

Don't ever fall into the trap of thinking your team sucks or you can't clear a map because of you lack 5s

Unless you truly have some weak ass shit, Normal is absolutely doable without 5s. Hard should be doable with strong 4s. Lunatic might be a different story, though i'm sure some folks will crack some set ups that allow you to break Lunatic with regular units.

The point is, don't give up. This is Fire Emblem. Pretty much anything is possible.

Don't ever fall into the trap of thinking your team sucks or you can't clear a map because of you lack 5s

Unless you truly have some weak ass shit, Normal is absolutely doable without 5s. Hard should be doable with strong 4s. Lunatic might be a different story, though i'm sure some folks will crack some set ups that allow you to break Lunatic with regular units.

The point is, don't give up. This is Fire Emblem. Pretty much anything is possible.

I only have 1 5* which is robin. My power team is 5* Robin, 4* Gunter, 4*+1 Eliwood, 4* Beruka.

I have not had a single map that gave me problems. Maybe one retry once in awhile due to a misplay but thats it. Everything dies.

Currently on hard chapter 9 and still breezing through. Main thing is following the weapons triangle and skill synergy. I can probably do everything just as well by swapping my 5* Robin with my 4* Kagero just cause of the skill synergy would be increased in exchange for the raw power. Either or, 5* isn't really necessary till probably Lunatic

Jims

If there's one thing Heroes retained about Fire Emblem, it's the questionable computer AI.

The final boss had 30 HP left, while all I had was Eliwood (with 10 HP) and Clarine left. Clarine can't do any damage with Fear against the boss, while Eliwood hits exactly 15 points of damage. Eliwood attacks the boss, the boss decides to kill Clarine, Eliwood attacks again, and (barely) completes Chapter 9. I get the decision by the AI to prioritize killing, it just doesn't seem like that should have worked.

Clarine is a super useful unit, though, even a 3* version of her. Fear is so ridiculously useful at chipping away enemy Knights. I just park her behind Catria (who knows Seal Attack) and they -7 their attack every turn, and the guy just sits their swinging away for 0 damage in an infinite loop. Buffs and debuffs are fun in this game.

This game is like crack. I've succumbed to the mobile gachas. Here's my main team:
All of them are beasts, but I wanna say Effie... Good lord. This character is soooo tanky. Crazy damage, crazy defense, very low movement though.

I have this cool strategy involving how she can "push" characters with her skill involving Droug (I switch Corrin out for him sometimes). His skill is that he swaps tiles with the enemy after hitting them. The fact that both him and Effie only move one tile at a time is almost remedied by using their skills. It's sooo much fun.

Again, I've added a bunch of folks from here but if you want a new friend, feel free to send me an invite: 7712193949

PK Gaming

I only have 1 5* which is robin. My power team is 5* Robin, 4* Gunter, 4*+1 Eliwood, 4* Beruka.

I have not had a single map that gave me problems. Maybe one retry once in awhile due to a misplay but thats it. Everything dies.

Currently on hard chapter 9 and still breezing through. Main thing is following the weapons triangle and skill synergy. I can probably do everything just as well by swapping my 5* Robin with my 4* Kagero just cause of the skill synergy would be increased in exchange for the raw power. Either or, 5* isn't really necessary till probably Lunatic

Word

Kagero is so good man. I'd argue she's on a 5-star level, haha.

So, I've actually reset this game a couple of times. I have not spent a cent on orbs so far, and I've finally settled on a permanent file.

On my first file, I wasn't getting 5* star characters at all. After my third or fourth summoning session, I got Maria as my first 5*. I found no use for her, so I deleted the game.

My second time, I did about three sessions. I had some decent 4* units, and was only able to get Effie and Elise as 5* units. I don't like Knights in this game, and I couldn't find a good use for Elise. Deleted again.

I got 5* Jacob on my current file, and he is amazing. I got some really terrible pulls after this, but 5* Marth made everything worth it. I've been getting through fine with 4* units, but it is hard to go up against Intermediate Arena teams with multiple 5*.

I am in desperate need of a good Green unit. My best one is Cherche, and she is only 3*!

duckroll

If there's one thing Heroes retained about Fire Emblem, it's the questionable computer AI.

The final boss had 30 HP left, while all I had was Eliwood (with 10 HP) and Clarine left. Clarine can't do any damage with Fear against the boss, while Eliwood hits exactly 15 points of damage. Eliwood attacks the boss, the boss decides to kill Clarine, Eliwood attacks again, and (barely) completes Chapter 9. I get the decision by the AI to prioritize killing, it just doesn't seem like that should have worked.

Clarine is a super useful unit, though, even a 3* version of her. Fear is so ridiculously useful at chipping away enemy Knights. I just park her behind Catria (who knows Seal Attack) and they -7 their attack every turn, and the guy just sits their swinging away for 0 damage in an infinite loop. Buffs and debuffs are fun in this game.

That's actually exactly how I expect the AI to work though. Mechanically, it is far harder to script AI routines which take into consideration the outcome multiple turns in the future. It's possible, but often not worth it in SRPG where the challenge can come from so many other factors. Be able to use characters you don't need to "bait" an enemy while your stronger character goes in for the kill is satisfying enough for most people, even if the logic is faulty at times.

Keep in mind that in your particular situation, for the enemy to not prioritize killing Clarine, it would need to track so many more factors - Are all his allies really dead? Is he actually able to kill Eliwood before he is killed? Are there really no other player characters left alive? Because only in this unique situation would it make sense to specifically attack Eliwood over Clarine.

Word

Seriously, a lot of the 4*'s are probably absolute monsters if they can become 5*. I'd say the strongest teams are probably a combination between the usual high tier 5*'s and upgraded 4*'s for their skill synergy.

Kagero and Serra are probably a very good pairing skill synergy wise. Actually if both were 5* and on the enemy team, I'd be scared to send anything except armored or mounted units to go after kagero cause she would probably 1 shot everything else.

jwhit28

Word

Yeah I was lucky enough to roll a 5* Kagero. Her and Sully obliterate Sword users and because so many of the most popular characters right now are red I get free arena kills. I got Roy to take care of Hector. Takumi is my only real problem. I'm contemplating pumping resources into Setsuna since she has Bowbreaker, but that feather cost makes gambling like that painful.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, with the fact that skills normally cost Stainuma to swap, how long until there is a way to give units additional skills outside of just using SP? Or maybe they will just give the units more skills in general, so you have to choose.

Ignoring prologue and quests.

5*9*3 = 135

Thanks! Only at Chapter 2 Part 4 of Normal so I got 8 of those 135. I have a team of 5* Lyn/Hector/Camilla and the fourth changes at the moment. Trying to see if I aim for 100% castle next and how much I am ready to allocate chasing Takumi and/or a healer before I start saving for the next set of banners!

evanmisha

So, with the fact that skills normally cost Stainuma to swap, how long until there is a way to give units additional skills outside of just using SP? Or maybe they will just give the units more skills in general, so you have to choose.

I haven't seen a character with 3 passive skills yet but they all have 3 slots so I imagine sooner rather than later.

PK Gaming

This game (and Fire Emblem in general) would be a lot more frustrating if you couldn't manipulate the A.I, so it's probably a good thing tbh.

Anyone knows what happen if I do the following:

I first linked the account I now play to a My Nintendo account that I never use. What happen if I unlink that account and link my game to my real My Nintendo Account? I wonder if it will let me. I assume that I would never be able to redeem the 10 free Orbs and that is ok. Just unsure if it would even work, I really don't want to lose the account...

Jims

That's actually exactly how I expect the AI to work though. Mechanically, it is far harder to script AI routines which take into consideration the outcome multiple turns in the future. It's possible, but often not worth it in SRPG where the challenge can come from so many other factors. Be able to use characters you don't need to "bait" an enemy while your stronger character goes in for the kill is satisfying enough for most people, even if the logic is faulty at times.

Keep in mind that in your particular situation, for the enemy to not prioritize killing Clarine, it would need to track so many more factors - Are all his allies really dead? Is he actually able to kill Eliwood before he is killed? Are there really no other player characters left alive? Because only in this unique situation would it make sense to specifically attack Eliwood over Clarine.

Good point. It would probably be a nightmare to calculate "Eliwood can kill X unit in X turns, therefore" especially with all the buffs, debuffs, and different scenarios that could arise. It feels like they programmed the AI to behave the same way as a regular Fire Emblem game, but with the lack of perma-death, it becomes easier to game the system or luck out of a bad situation (like mine). Maybe some kind of system that looks at my potential damage output per turn and tries to minimize that? But then healers and debuffers would probably game that system and stand around in total safety. There probably isn't a rule they could make that wouldn't be gamed to some degree.

I could be wrong and maybe the boss couldn't kill Eliwood in just one turn, and I was going to win either way. I feel like he was under 20 HP after healing and everyone else was going down around that HP range. It might've just been both of them were killable and the game just prioritizes removing healers and/or ranged units first. Clarine always gets attacked whenever she is in range in most battles.

Dreavus

Marth clearly has art for a purple/special/crit attack, but doesn't have one available in his skill list.

Is this something that's going to somehow come later?

I only have 1 skill to get left, Defiant Spd 3, which costs 160 and I have 40 SP right now.

Does she still get SP for making kills on other level 40s, or is SP finite?

Ken

Anyone knows what happen if I do the following:

I first linked the account I now play to a My Nintendo account that I never use. What happen if I unlink that account and link my game to my real My Nintendo Account? I wonder if it will let me. I assume that I would never be able to redeem the 10 free Orbs and that is ok. Just unsure if it would even work, I really don't want to lose the account...

you want to link your real Nintendo account to a currently linked account? dont think you can since the only way to split a linked account is to delete the entire data

duckroll

Only 3 more Hard Mode maps until my next pull! I must remember to come on GAF and complaint A LOT about my bad luck before pulling, because that always seems to work!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Only 3 more Hard Mode maps until my next pull! I must remember to come on GAF and complaint A LOT about my bad luck before pulling, because that always seems to work!

Don't do that, you will just pawn your bad luck onto us. I need another 5 star unit!

duckroll

Good point. It would probably be a nightmare to calculate "Eliwood can kill X unit in X turns, therefore" especially with all the buffs, debuffs, and different scenarios that could arise. It feels like they programmed the AI to behave the same way as a regular Fire Emblem game, but with the lack of perma-death, it becomes easier to game the system or luck out of a bad situation (like mine). Maybe some kind of system that looks at my potential damage output per turn and tries to minimize that? But then healers and debuffers would probably game that system and stand around in total safety. There probably isn't a rule they could make that wouldn't be gamed to some degree.

I could be wrong and maybe the boss couldn't kill Eliwood in just one turn, and I was going to win either way. I feel like he was under 20 HP after healing and everyone else was going down around that HP range. It might've just been both of them were killable and the game just prioritizes removing healers and/or ranged units first. Clarine always gets attacked whenever she is in range in most battles.

Yes, you have identified the real crux of why the situation felt so pointless in your scenario - because there's no perm death and there's honestly no serious death penalty at all in the game. If there were a death penalty, then it wouldn't feel like a dumb move on his part because even though you ultimately won, you lost a significant portion of your troops. That's also the problem I have with the challenge in the game. It's so easy to just game otherwise tricky maps with sacrificing troops especially towards the end of a battle with only a strong enemy left.

Obviously perm death is an awful idea with the way a F2P mobile title is set up, but I think a stronger death penalty would be interesting. Say, if you lose a character in a battle, that character is out of commission for the next 2-3 battles. This would tie in with the stamina system to make players think twice before leaving autobattle on, and also consider their moves more carefully. But of course that might also turn people away from the game if they just want to mindlessly grind.

vareon

I wonder why they discourage us from replaying Story chapters. Not getting more Orbs is expected, but why the reduced Exp?

Played a few levels, and it was ok. I don't dislike it per se, but I'm one of those crazy people that still carry their 3DS around, so I'll stick to Fire Emblem there for now.

MANUELF

Banned
I like that there is no permadeath, that has stopped me of playing Fire Emblem GBA the only other FE game I have played

I wonder why they discourage us from replaying Story chapters. Not getting more Orbs is expected, but why the reduced Exp?
To make the tower look better. Without the exp penalty it would be easier to grind XP from story mode since you will know the exact map and enemy lay out every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom