• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

That's because he promotes late. It's not that he's actually weak.

Only because IS thought it would be a great idea to promote him near the very end of the game. So the Binding Blade was horrendously broken to compensate.

Binding Blade should at least get healing though.

Roy is a late promotion but he's a good unit at the core, but then he gets one of the most broken weapons ever in the series even considering the family-heirlooms from Hoshido/Nohr.

Roy could promote early and he'd still be incredibly mediocre. His main problem in FE6 is that his base stats suck ass and his class is underwhelming.

studyguy

Can't wait for the first round of event characters to pop and absolutely decimate the existing characters now. It's gonna be something.

Vena

I'd add that I don't think it's likely true that the starter heroes should be bottom-tier. https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/5se1ep/average_stats_of_some_5_heroes_at_lvl40/ suggests that Sharena and Anna actually have great 5* stats and their skills are a lot better than average.

Ya, I can confirm from my own grinding of them, that Anna and Sharena are not average units. Anna is one of the few Greens with no Res pothole for a stat, and her abilities are all very good.

Anna and Sharena also have very good stats.

There are lots of problems with this tier list. It doesn't value classes that can break through armor enough, which is the biggest roadblock when you start to push up to higher levels. It also isn't accounting for things like movement types, and you see glaring power disparities between stuff on the same tier that's similarly typed (Leo vs. Robin, for example, where Leo basically just dusts Robin). Lots of units are just given too much value when they really aren't that exceptional too. Fae, Corrin, and Chrom really stand out as being overvalued in that regard.

Armor and Move are big deals, ya. And I think Hector's lack of movement is one of his biggest issues and will become a bigger issue as people start to realize he's slow as sin to get into position and anti-heavy armor weapons decimate him.

Uthred

People complaining about the Stamina being low and how there's not enough stamina to do everything clearly don't understand the underlying intent of why it's that way presently. The game doesn't have that much content and the end game right now is either making characters 5* and/or leveling 5* characters to 40. That's it. One way to control people not just blazing through the content and getting to super end-game status is to control the flow of content and how people are intaking. IS has clearly hiked the stamina values to a point where people can't supergrind but enough so people keep people playing throughout the day. Come on guys. It's not hard.

That seems like a pretty big assumption, I didnt see any posts where people were puzzled by why the stamina was so low, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to explain the obvious. People arent confused by the stamina system they're complaining about how restrictive it is when you can only do one two or three minute map every three hours or so.

autoduelist

Hey I have a few stupid questions. First I see people referring to pulling, what does that mean? I'm guessing it means roll for characters but is it specific to actually spending real money?

I've been playing the game off and have three five stars, Martha, lilina, and CaMilla. It's hard to explain but I'm trying to figure out what the core of this game is - is it just character advancement? Now that I'm finally getting some challenging matches the game is getting better - early on it was far too easy. But that means I'm stuck with the characters that we currently using which includes a 3-star healer and trying to grind a new character up to my current characters seems a bit grindy. But maybe that's the game?

Overall the game still feels a bit too easy. it's rare that I actually have to think hard to win a match and sometimes the opposing team is just so powerful I had no chance to begin with. That said when the game does presented an adequate challenge I think it's a very solid experience.

I'm confused about pulling though. I've been making do with one five star to four stars and three star on my team. Are people spending money trying to get all 5 stars in their team?

Dragner

There are lots of problems with this tier list. It doesn't value classes that can break through armor enough, which is the biggest roadblock when you start to push up to higher levels. It also isn't accounting for things like movement types, and you see glaring power disparities between stuff on the same tier that's similarly typed (Leo vs. Robin, for example, where Leo basically just dusts Robin). Lots of units are just given too much value when they really aren't that exceptional too. Fae, Corrin, and Chrom really stand out as being overvalued in that regard.

Leo doenst dust Robin, I use both and robin does more damage consistently. Leo has an abysmal speed stat that hurts him a lot. The thing Leo has its an OP charged atack but it has a long cooldown of 5 turns.

studyguy

Hey I have a few stupid questions. First I see people referring to pulling, what does that mean? I'm guessing it means roll for characters but is it specific to actually spending real money?

I've been playing the game off and have three five stars, Martha, lilina, and CaMilla. It's hard to explain but I'm trying to figure out what the core of this game is - is it just character advancement? Now that I'm finally getting some challenging matches the game is getting better - early on it was far too easy. But that means I'm stuck with the characters that we currently using which includes a 3-star healer and trying to grind a new character up to my current characters seems a bit grindy. But maybe that's the game?

Overall the game still feels a bit too easy. it's rare that I actually have to think hard to win a match and sometimes the opposing team is just so powerful I had no chance to begin with. That said when the game does presented an adequate challenge I think it's a very solid experience

Pulls are just character summons, yeah. Purchased or not, rolling is just summoning more characters in general.

The game is pretty easy considering the unit limitations, the point is generally to get your favorite characters, rank them the fuck up and just squish arena till we get a new series of characters and it starts over. It's basic GACHA

Scum

Been doing this reroll business too. Just got 5* Robin, 5* Azura, 4* Florina, 3* Sally and 3* Beruka.

Hold. Hold! :p

Is sending home 'selling' them/deleting them from my roster?

Also, I played FFBE quite a bunch on launch, until I spent real $s trying to get that elusive b*stard Warrior of Light, which led to me uninstalling so I didn't get caught in the gacha trap. I've vowed to not spend a single penny on this..

Anyway I digress; in FFBE you could equip weapons and armour, in this game can we do the same or are they just the 'learnt' ones the characters have? Reason I ask is I can't see any way, once all the skills have been learnt, to improve my main characters past just levelling them up?
Correct. Sending them home deletes them from your roster (and you get feathers for your troubles).

And my understanding is the same as yours: once you've learned all the skills, there's only leveling them up (or increasing their rarity via feathers and emblems, if they aren't already a 5-star).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
20k feathers to promote one of my 4 stars to a 5 star?

What in the actual fuck.

Before you get super upset about it like I did at first go to the arena tab and go to the rewards. Click offensive score to see the three categories.

Feathers get payed out in 3 categories Most people will be able to get about 2k a week and while 10+ weeks is pretty much forever, it is a free game you are ment to dip in and out of here and there

Shinypogs

See this I don't even understand. How the fuck would you counter this?

I also want to know much how much real-world currency this team cost. haha

One shot them with power mages like lilina or units with brave weapons and ridiculous strength. You're going to lose people along the way but you should come out on top.

That said strats like that just tell me I will never be able to compete at the highest echelon of arena as a f2p player. Not that I think it's bad that putting money into the game rewards you with more options. The main game itself can be beaten f2p and you can farm arena half decently without putting money in as well.

I still can't get my Marth to use escape route. For those who have one how does the game determine which ally to warp him too when it does activate? I also really dread farming the feathers to make him 5* when he eventually needs the falchion to pull his weight.

carlos

As someone who has never played a gacha game, I had a good time, but am done with the game. Halfway done with lunatic mode story mode, but I've pulled one 5 star (tiki) out of 35 summons :/

PK Gaming

I'd add that I don't think it's likely true that the starter heroes should be bottom-tier. https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/5se1ep/average_stats_of_some_5_heroes_at_lvl40/ suggests that Sharena and Anna actually have great 5* stats and their skills are a lot better than average.

Sharena and Anna are definitely underrated, and have merits at base that put them at least in B-rank. That said, considering how difficult it is to reach 5* with them, I don't think we should take their 5* variations into account yet.

Alfonse is just comically terrible, however. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to give him a bad Speed base and terrible Speed growth. He's like a FE2 character...

Firemind

Roy could promote early and he'd still be incredibly mediocre. His main problem in FE6 is that his base stats suck ass and his class is underwhelming.
Not any worse than red/green cavalier. And unlike other lords, you need him to end the chapter (and go to gaiden chapters) and recruit like two handful of characters.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That seems like a pretty big assumption, I didnt see any posts where people were puzzled by why the stamina was so low, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to explain the obvious. People arent confused by the stamina system they're complaining about how restrictive it is when you can only do one two or three minute map every three hours or so.

Uh... did you read my post? I was talking about people complaining about the stamina being restrictive. I'm directly addressing the people that you're saying I'm not. lol?

Uthred

Linde has been pretty great for me, surprised she's so low. Every turn she's alive is another enemy unit dead no matter who she's facing.

Yeah, not sure why she's ranked "low" on that list, she's ranked (rightfully IMO) higher on other lists e.g. https://fireemblem.gamepress.gg/tier-list

Uh... did you read my post? I was talking about people complaining about the stamina being restrictive. I'm directly addressing the people that you're saying I'm not. lol?

You explained that stamina is restrictive because its a gating mechanism, i.e. you explained the obvious as a stamina system is inherently a gating mechanism. No one was confused about this. They were complaining that it was restrictive, they werent asking WHY it was restrictive. Your post addressed the WHY, it answered a question nobody was asking, seemingly as an excuse to be condescending to posters who didnt exist. "lol?" indeed.

Fireblend

Banned
Done with the story on Normal. I'm more than halfway through in Hard and just starting in Lunatic.

Man, I wonder where Zacharias is and who this mysterious masked man is. Such a gripping story.

PK Gaming

Not any worse than red/green cavalier. And unlike other lords, you need him to end the chapter (and go to gaiden chapters) and recruit like two handful of characters.

Yes, worse than the red/green cavaliers, by quite a bit actually! Alan/Lance have more durability, more movement, access to swords and lances (WTA control) and rescue utility. They can get off the ground a lot quicker than Roy, and they can reasonable promote and become Paladins (which is a top 5 class). Not denying Roy's utility for recruitment/seizing, but he's a mediocre/bad combat unit.

Come to think of it, mounted units are pretty solid in FEH too. I think they'll become more valuable as time goes on.

autoduelist

I realized I forgot a question. Do most people play with Healers or do most people play with a combination of powerful characters? I went through the tier list recently posted and realized two of my 5-star characters are considered A and my third is S. I also have several tier S 4 Stars. I've been playing with a 3 star Healer because it seems to be critical against high-powered teams but are the s tier characters so good that their stat boosts and skills outweigh being able to reclaim hit points? I realize some of it just comes down to play style but I'm curious if the best teams generally don't have Healers.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I still think Kagero is too low on most teir lists.

She is legit scary to anything that isn't mounted or armored.
Yeah. I am using her and I feel that people's unfamiliarity with the character (and ninja in general) causes people to overvalue infantry units.
Leo doenst dust Robin, I use both and robin does more damage consistently. Leo has an abysmal speed stat that hurts him a lot. The thing Leo has its an OP charged atack but it has a long cooldown of 5 turns.
Consistent damage doesn't matter at all in this game when each unit is only going to attack once or twice. When the maps are this short a decisive blow is the best thing you can have, and Leo's status as a cavalry unit, along with his AoE and utility to limit enemy movement, is vastly more valuable than Robin's basic magic damage. I just see other mages outclassing what Robin can do.

Gotchaye

Sharena and Anna are definitely underrated, and have merits at base that put them at least in B-rank. That said, considering how difficult it is to reach 5* with them, I don't think we should take their 5* variations into account yet.

Alfonse is just comically terrible, however. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to give him a bad Speed base and terrible Speed growth. He's like a FE2 character...

But it's not really that much harder to get them to 5*. Getting a character to level 20 is pretty easy. Doing the story mode quests gives you enough shards to do it like 8 times, and regardless you can get to level 15 very quickly in training. Feather costs for promoting them to 3* and 4* are minor compared to the cost of promoting a 4* to a 5*.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I personally think movement types don't matter much in this game because of the tiny map size. I really hope they open up the maps a bit in the future because of this. I will also disagree that Leo dusts Robin... that's simply not the case. Robin has type advantage over half the unit types in the game, and it's the half that happen to be the most popular unit types atm.

At the end of the day, all tier lists are subjective to some extent. But in this list, I think it does a pretty good job from what we know right now.

kayos90

Yeah, not sure why she's ranked "low" on that list, she's ranked (rightfully IMO) higher on other lists e.g. https://fireemblem.gamepress.gg/tier-list

You explained that stamina is restrictive because its a gating mechanism, i.e. you explained the obvious as a stamina system is inherently a gating mechanism. No one was confused about this. They were complaining that it was restrictive, they werent asking WHY it was restrictive. Your post addressed the WHY, it answered a question nobody was asking, seemingly as an excuse to be condescending to posters who didnt exist. "lol?" indeed.

You can respond to a series of comments regardless if it's posed as a question or not. I wasn't trying to be condescending but merely explaining why things are designed the way it is since it seems like there's a lot of gacha newcomers in this thread. If you wanted me to be actively condescending then it'd be something along the lines of "oh, not sure if you knew but i can respond to a series of comments regardless if it's posed as a question or not. lol? have you been in a RL conversation?"

Kenai

It's probably the stat boosters + re positioning on Fae. I wasn't sure at first either til I pulled her and messed around in arena but abusing stat boosters + positioning on a single character is pretty strong (a fully honed 2 turn Renewal is icing). If they ever add a dragon with this type of boost who is a ranged unit I'd put them in Takumi tier tbh. I also think people are underestimating the aoe stat lowering stuff, like Oboro or Hawkeye.

You are right about the armor breakers in a sense, but it seems like this list is focused more on either "one man army" characters like Takumi/Hector, or those that support with stat boosts for those 1 man army characters (who you will consistently see higher up then theie non-stat boosting counterparts). Stat boosters will probably be strong for the long haul and will will always be relevant even in a meta that doesn't favor them, where breakers by their nature will likely remain situational or supplementary, unless one particular unit or type gets so good that you always seem them in every single fight and have to run a specific counter.

Tier lists in this game are always going to be a bit weird anyway though. B tier character Setsuna directly counters Takumi (who i think definitely deserves his SS tier rating). for example. That is kinda reassuring to me. You can level almost any of these units into 5* and they will be useful. No real duds.

Firemind

Yes, worse than the red/green cavaliers, by quite a bit actually! Alan/Lance have more durability, more movement, access to swords and lances (WTA control) and rescue utility. They can get off the ground a lot quicker than Roy, and they can reasonable promote and become Paladins (which is a top 5 class). Not denying Roy's utility for recruitment/seizing, but he's a mediocre/bad combat unit.
You only mentioned base stats :3

And horses suck in FEH because they can't go into forests.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
pk0hCnX.jpg

I think some of these quests are broken?

I have done the 2-1 and 2-5 ones several times with no reward

Pejo

man there's nothing worse than being 2v1 on a stage, and finding out that both of your characters do 0 damage to the remaining enemy unit, even with specials.

=/

PK Gaming

But it's not really that much harder to get them to 5*. Getting a character to level 20 is pretty easy. Doing the story mode quests gives you enough shards to do it like 8 times, and regardless you can get to level 15 very quickly in training. Feather costs for promoting them to 3* and 4* are minor compared to the cost of promoting a 4* to a 5*.

Oh my bad, I meant to say that reaching 5* in general is difficult, not just for them. Unlike normal characters, they don't have the luxury of being summoned at 5*.

Their 4* variants seem good, but man, they get good at 5*. Hopefully they change their Feather costs at least for them because 20k is way too much of an investment to drop.

Sakura

Before you get super upset about it like I did at first go to the arena tab and go to the rewards. Click offensive score to see the three categories.

Feathers get payed out in 3 categories Most people will be able to get about 2k a week and while 10+ weeks is pretty much forever, it is a free game you are ment to dip in and out of here and there

Plus you can get 300 for every 4 star you exile from your roster.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You meeting the qualifiers? One requires Alfonse to be on your team and the other you have to play with 3 or less characters.

Yes

You need to finish normal first before beating them.

This must be it! Still need to clear ch 9 ! A bit weird that the quests are available before meeting the preconditions though

daxgame

Sigh, my wife really got into this (funny because she never liked "that game with the squares", but now asked for my copy of Awakening to give it a shot) but then today she went on to summon and...

YvvKy1H.jpg

she hasn't opened the game since, lol

kayos90

Not sure if this got brought up earlier in the thread but I couldn't find it. I sort of have to question the longevity of this game in the longterm from a design standpoint. I'm going to make comparisons to two very popular mobile titles I think Japan tends to be familiar with: Granblue Fantasy and Fate/Grand Order. When it comes to longevity I think goals are really important. What I mean by that is that the game's design is easy but complex enough to allow for progression in the game to feel like something meaningful and has a level of depth that allows for customization.

Let's use the two aforementioned games as an example. Progression in Granblue is inifinitely more complex than it is in F/GO. For one, GBF's progression depends on a large character pool, building on multiple elements, working towards weapon grids consistently. Between these three pinnacles, GBF has long legs and progression is something that never ever ends. Even within a single element there are a variety of weapon pools to create certain party types. Working towards progression is hard and arduous but there is a level of complexity due to the underlying design and mechanics in the game.

Then we come to F/GO. This game is not complex by any means and progression is straight simple. Level up servants and level up skills. The avenues of doing so is easy and getting to the end goal is easy as well which means the game doesn't really depend on you working really hard towards progressing to end game. You're just... doing stuff. Why is F/GO popular then? Waifubait and the fanbase. That's it. While people play GBF for the gameplay and progression, the audience of F/GO is the exact opposite. People aren't playing for progression and gameplay. They're playing for the characters.

This brings me to my fear for Heroes. I think this game falls more under the F/GO category than GBF. The progression is way too simple and the customization even more so. You level up your characters. You acquire skills. Then you're done. So what? I guess you can consider team compositions a level of complexity but let's be real, it's really not. Eh... Not sure what IS can do to sort of change this to be honest.... It'd be one thing if different weapons allowed for different pros and cons a la awakening and fates but... too late maybe?

Gotchaye

Sigh, my wife really got into this (funny because she never liked "that game with the squares", but now asked for my copy of Awakening to give it a shot) but then today she went on to summon and...

edit: my bad reuploading

She got Nowi didn't she?

Skii

I'm starting to struggle with the story. I'm on chapter 7 normal and my team is around lv 15-20. Team is Lyn, Raven, Cordelia and Bartre. Only Lyn seems to pulling her weight. The rest just instantly die and Raven's supposed to recover half HP with Sol but never seems to do it.

What am I doing wrong? lol.

Sakura

Not sure if this got brought up earlier in the thread but I couldn't find it. I sort of have to question the longevity of this game in the longterm from a design standpoint. I'm going to make comparisons to two very popular mobile titles I think Japan tends to be familiar with: Granblue Fantasy and Fate/Grand Order. When it comes to longevity I think goals are really important. What I mean by that is that the game's design is easy but complex enough to allow for progression in the game to feel like something meaningful and has a level of depth that allows for customization.

Let's use the two aforementioned games as an example. Progression in Granblue is inifinitely more complex than it is in F/GO. For one, GBF's progression depends on a large character pool, building on multiple elements, working towards weapon grids consistently. Between these three pinnacles, GBF has long legs and progression is something that never ever ends. Even within a single element there are a variety of weapon pools to create certain party types. Working towards progression is hard and arduous but there is a level of complexity due to the underlying design and mechanics in the game.

Then we come to F/GO. This game is not complex by any means and progression is straight simple. Level up servants and level up skills. The avenues of doing so is easy and getting to the end goal is easy as well which means the game doesn't really depend on you working really hard towards progressing to end game. You're just... doing stuff. Why is F/GO popular then? Waifubait and the fanbase. That's it. While people play GBF for the gameplay and progression, the audience of F/GO is the exact opposite. People aren't playing for progression and gameplay. They're playing for the characters.

This brings me to my fear for Heroes. I think this game falls more under the F/GO category than GBF. The progression is way too simple and the customization even more so. You level up your characters. You acquire skills. Then you're done. So what? I guess you can consider team compositions a level of complexity but let's be real, it's really not. Eh... Not sure what IS can do to sort of change this to be honest.... It'd be one thing if different weapons allowed for different pros and cons a la awakening and fates but... too late maybe?
I think some of FGO's popularity also comes from the story though. There is a lot of it and lots of people seem to enjoy it. Heroes doesn't really have a story though unfortunately.
But these games can get pretty major updates as they go on. Sure it might be a bit barebones now, but I expect significant content going forward to keep people engaged.

I'm starting to struggle with the story. I'm on chapter 7 normal and my team is around lv 15-20. Team is Lyn, Raven, Cordelia and Bartre. Only Lyn seems to pulling her weight. The rest just instantly die and Raven's supposed to recover half HP with Sol but never seems to do it.

What am I doing wrong? lol.
It's pretty important to make sure you are focusing on the Sword > Axe > Spear thing. Then try to work on pulling enemies towards you rather than running in. I used a sword, axe, spear, and healer unit and finished the story on normal. Though the last two missions were rather difficult.

Scum

YvvKy1H.jpg

:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom