• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Do you think they will ever do new archs or anything going back to level 1 sort of fights? The level 40 ones are pretty annoying even if your whole team is maxed out.

I mean the Story Chapters on Normal are easier and the Special Arena stages for the reward units will likely also be manageable without a bunch of lvl 40 units. You usually run a Story mission only once so they will keep getting harder.

Their goal has to be to provide enough content so that every type of player has enough interesting challenges to take on. There isnt much content right now...so if you hit a wall it can get frustrating fast.

Though i dont think there are missions out that are really difficult if you have a team fully maxed. Otherwise i would just wait until you have units to beat the stages - doesnt make sense to waste stamina on story chapters when you could level units in the Tower while its on 1/2 stam.

Shinypogs

I'm not home yet so I'll still have to do a bit of back and forth but anyway...

She had told me that Marth always takes 30x2 damage from the blue mage so he dies all the time anyway. It doesn't even get to the sword guy...
Uh-oh. Could it be that he's super effective ? I don't know everything too well yet in this FE.

I think Frederick has shitty Res too.

Either way
Level 28 Marth ps 24 atck 37 spd 31 def 22 res 17... not a great tank at all :(
Merric lvl 25 ps 27 atk 27 spd 21 def 18 res 12
Lissa is around 23 I think
Catria level 27 ps 30 atk 30 spd 23 def 21 res 16 - useless.

and thanks for the help
No problem this is the first big event so everyone wants to have taken part in and beaten it. A blue mage does indeed beat a red sword user. The blue mage also has swordbreaker allowing him to double sword users when his hp is above 90% so Marth simply can't tank that choke.

For the moment just tell her to grind everyone in the training tower including lissa up to about lvl 30. Merric will need to tank the choke point that first turn meaning he will take heavy melee damage from the sword user but if he's got enough hp and leveled advantage he should survive and kill the blue mage or bow user ( whomever attacks him) in return. Once the enemies start moving Marth can deal with the sword user ( staying out of the range of the mages) and Merric can move, get healed by lissa and take down Narcian once he's in range then go back for the remaining ranged units.

You can tell her to try this strat once without grinding if she wants but i imagine the units will need the extra levels worth of stats . Also remind her to not be afraid to leave lissa in the range of mages she should be just fine.

LordofPwn

I'm kinda new to this Fire Emblem franchise but i'm loving this game so far. Is this pretty indicative of a typical fire emblem gameplay? Might need to check out the new title for Switch.

Peltz

I'm kinda new to this Fire Emblem franchise but i'm loving this game so far. Is this pretty indicative of a typical fire emblem gameplay? Might need to check out the new title for Switch.

Real Fire Emblem is better and forces tough strategic decision making. This game is very shallow in comparison.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The core gameplay does feel like Fire Emblem, but the mobile game simplifies things quite a lot.

Key differences in mainstream FE games:

- Units have permadeath. This is an option that can be turned on or off in the later entries.
- Each unit has an inventory, and there's item wear. So each sword can only be used like 20-40 times before breaking, and sometimes the same unit can switch to a different weapon to suit different situations. Units can also use healing items.
- Maps and team sizes are MUCH bigger.
- You sometimes get the chance to recruit optional people mid-mission. You may run into someone on the map who is currently neutral/hostile, but may change sides to you if you fulfill certain conditions, like sending a particular character to talk to him/her.
- Some units can be reclassed into other classes, and there is a promotion system after a certain level. The "get to level 20 > upgrade one star" thing is a simplified version of what you get in the mainstream games.

DrArchon

Spent the resources to get my Olivia up to 4 stars because everyone has been hyping her up so much in here. Hope she's worth it because I don't see myself getting anymore red shards anytime soon.

Is she just good because she can dance? She seems awful on attack and quite squishy, but if she's only good as a dancer then I won't bother trying to level her up too much (maybe a bit so she can take a ranged hit or two). The idea of my +atk Takumi firing off even more shots is enticing for sure though.

So I've just been casually playing this over the last week or so, currently on Chapter 4 and my main peoples are around level 10. My main team is a 5* Nowi who wrecks everyone, a 4* Camilla and a 4* Lon'Qu, and then a flex with whoever fits the map. Just got a 4* Est and a 4* Raven as well who might fill in for now. But Lon'Qu's one of my favorite heroes from FE so regardless of his tier place he'll probably stick in my team.

Still getting a handle on the abilities and how to level up but it's fun to do while I'm watching TV or something. It's a fun little Fire Emblem distraction!

marrec

Banned
this is an interesting read as the archetypes section more or less described the team I naturally stumbled into using (lyn, camilla, robin and olivia). It's also right on the nose with the problems and successes I've had with Lyn (Galeforce sucked until I started using a dancer). I want to make her work because she's my only 5*, but I'm thinking maybe Camilla needs to go in favor of a green caster. Or maybe Camilla just sucks because she's only 4*.

I've had a lot of success with Lyn and Setsuna swapping health around to cheese Lyn's beefiness. Being able to move damage when needed is surprisingly effective against these long range counter teams and allows you to protect Lyn until you're ready to destroy someone. That with Nowi and Camilla makes for an effect counter to the current metagame. At least for my level (~25) anyway.

The core gameplay does feel like Fire Emblem, but the mobile game simplifies things quite a lot.

- Units have permadeath. This is an option that can be turned on or off in the later entries.
- Each unit has an inventory, and there's item wear. So each sword can only be used like 20-40 times before breaking, and sometimes the same unit can switch to a different weapon to suit different situations. Units can also use healing items.
- You sometimes get the chance to recruit optional people mid-mission. You may run into someone on the map who is currently neutral/hostile, but may change sides to you if you fulfill certain conditions, like sending a particular character to talk to him/her.
- Some units can be reclassed into other classes, and there is a promotion system after a certain level. The "get to level 20 > upgrade one star" thing is a simplified version of what you get in the mainstream games.
Slight correction. Fates doesn't have item durability anymore. There's now penalties for using specific items. I'm assuming they might use these methods for future games.

Akuun

So Nowi is turning out to be one hell of a tank. She can take so much damage and counterattacks to boot. Being blue probably also means she's not as weak to Falchion as Tiki is.

The question is, do I replace Effie with Nowi? My Effie is only 4* but she's so freaking strong. She can take so much damage and cause so much destruction when she gets close, but her low speed is definitely a problem. I feel like her ability to catapult allies forward may also be really good, though I haven't played with that much.
Slight correction. Fates doesn't have item durability anymore. There's now penalties for using specific items. I'm assuming they might use these methods for future games.
Sweet! That's great news, since I always hated watching item durability and packing backup weapons for everyone.

redcrayon

Its a pretty elegant simplification if that makes any sense.The weapon triangle, class weaknesses, promoting units at level 20 etc are all there.

In the main games you field an army of around 10-12 units, so FEH is pretty savage in terms of choosing a team, usually you might have half a dozen melee units backed up by archers, mages, healers etc. Maps are far bigger and units die permanently (although the more recent games offer modes that mitigate it).

If you like FEH, it's worth checking out one of the mainline games.

StAidan

I haven't been hardcore about spending time with the game myself (currently on 9-3 Normal in the story chapters), but even so I'm a little annoyed that I've dropped 100 orbs on 5 summoning sessions and have no 5* to show for it :( My 4* Tharja and Bartre aren't terrible, but still.

Firemind

So Nowi is turning out to be one hell of a tank. She can take so much damage and counterattacks to boot. Being blue probably also means she's not as weak to Falchion as Tiki is.

The question is, do I replace Effie with Nowi? My Effie is only 4* but she's so freaking strong. She can take so much damage and cause so much destruction when she gets close, but her low speed is definitely a problem.
5* Nowi is OP yes.

Quonny

Bought $39.99 in gems with an iTunes gift card. It went through. Got my gems.

Fast forward a week and I had to update my credit card with Apple. Updated, got an email an hour later thanking me for my purchase and that my card was charged.

Okay. No. I used the gift card. Emailed them, they just got back to me that they're offering a full refund and I get to keep the gems and iTunes gift card balance. Apparently it was an issue with the system.

First good experience I've had with Apple customer support ever.

Akuun

I'm quite torn about healers. I don't know if I should even bring one at all. Some games she is invaluable at keeping my tank going, and sometimes she is completely useless.

I'm always torn between Sakura's defensive boost, Serra's atk boost, and Lissa's self-regen + possible swap to party-wide attack boost.
5* Nowi is OP yes.
I guess I should be happy I pulled her by accident. I was actually looking for Robin or any other blue caster lol.

Now if only I could put some damn clothes on her. It's embarrassing to get her level up screen in public.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Bought $39.99 in gems with an iTunes gift card. It went through. Got my gems.

Fast forward a week and I had to update my credit card with Apple. Updated, got an email an hour later thanking me for my purchase and that my card was charged.

Okay. No. I used the gift card. Emailed them, they just got back to me that they're offering a full refund and I get to keep the gems and iTunes gift card balance. Apparently it was an issue with the system.

First good experience I've had with Apple customer support ever.

Apple customer service is awesome. They've given me refunds before for IAP I bought, and I helped a guy on reddit get over $1000 back from them when he binged on IAP but regretted it.

Vashzaron

Wrys is better imo - Live to Serve and Heavenly Light in addition to Rehabilitate. He is amazing.

No Waifu though - so thats a minus.

Seriously 100% believe people think Wrys is trash just because he's an old man when currently he looks to have the best abilities as a healer.

cw_sasuke

Yeah I've been looking into Wrys. Heavenly light is great, but I'm not sure Live to Serve is useful. If a healer takes any damage, chances are they are dead. An don't forget Lissa's +4 attack buff for everyone. Both are pretty good...

In my experience Wrys is strong enough to take a hit if he is leveled, talking mostly about Lunatic non-arena battles. Also played alot with Lissa but her +atk boni rarely makes a different since you usually only attack with a unit that has a type/weapon advantage so that should result in a OHKO most of the time.

Other healer have their place depending on the team setup....just for me going from Wrys to Maria/Sakura and Lissa felt like a downgrade.

Seriously 100% believe people think Wrys is trash just because he's an old man when currently he looks to have the best abilities as a healer.

Yup - i played around with multiple healers only to realize that Wrys is much better than the rest for keeping every alive. Groupheal ? Check. Big ass single target heal ? Check. And he is pretty much always on full HP - as long as you level him high enough that he can tank one hit he will surely made it though.

Would probably SS Tier if he was a waifu /s

Dreavus

Azama: "Heavenly Vistas? People dressed in white? It's almost like we've passed to the other side!"

Looks like he's got his own "everyone is dead" fan theory all lined up.

daxgame

For the moment just tell her to grind everyone in the training tower including lissa up to about lvl 30. Merric will need to tank the choke point that first turn meaning he will take heavy melee damage from the sword user but if he's got enough hp and leveled advantage he should survive and kill the blue mage or bow user ( whomever attacks him) in return. Once the enemies start moving Marth can deal with the sword user ( staying out of the range of the mages) and Merric can move, get healed by lissa and take down Narcian once he's in range then go back for the remaining ranged units.

You can tell her to try this strat once without grinding if she wants but i imagine the units will need the extra levels worth of stats . Also remind her to not be afraid to leave lissa in the range of mages she should be just fine.

Thanks, we'll try even though it's a run against time due to the goddamn Energy thing :(
I'm not sure I have the strat very clear (mostly, as Marth can beat only the sword guy probably and not even in one hit which is a problem.. he's almost useless here it seems :( ) but we'll try to grind Merric and use Lissa

edit: hmm, I just noticed Merric has 12 res by the way... I think we won't make it sadly but thanks for trying :( !

muu

The current tier list is fairly off base

This guide is more accurate

Most current tier lists work great for mid-game. Tier list in this doc represents higher level meta much better.

The irony of the arena system is that regardless of how good a character is, in the end they aren't going to be hugely viable arena chars unless their stat totals are high. I'm guessing the whales fighting for top 100 ranks are using a strange combination of mostly armored units (who have higher stats allowing for greater arena points). Unless they change the way scoring works, there's gonna be a weird disconnect between effective teams and teams that can get yourself a higher spot in the arena.

LordofPwn

Real Fire Emblem is better and forces tough strategic decision making. This game is very shallow in comparison.

Its a pretty elegant simplification if that makes any sense.The weapon triangle, class weaknesses, promoting units at level 20 etc are all there.

In the main games you field an army of around 10-12 units, so FEH is pretty savage in terms of choosing a team, usually you might have half a dozen melee units backed up by archers, mages, healers etc. Maps are far bigger and units die permanently (although the more recent games offer modes that mitigate it).

If you like FEH, it's worth checking out one of the mainline games.

Thanks for the responses, seems like I should definitely jump into the series. was a little concerned about Item durability but if that's going away then that is awesome!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
In my experience Wrys is strong enough to take a hit if he is leveled, talking mostly about Lunatic non-arena battles. Also played alot with Lissa but her +atk boni rarely makes a different since you usually only attack with a unit that has a type/weapon advantage so that should result in a OHKO most of the time.

Other healer have their place depending on the team setup....just for me going from Wrys to Maria/Sakura and Lissa felt like a downgrade.

Yeah, you're right, I often think in Arena only mode, where +4 damage can be the difference between OHKO and not. Maybe I'll level Wrys up next. I was working on Serra but I think I like Wrys skillset better.

Pejo

I like that you get a little speech from your characters when you max them out at lvl 40.

I got Jeorge, Takumi, and Tiki all maxed out, at 5* Didn't get particularly great rolls on any of them though. I'm currently leveling the rest of my 5* but I also want to level my 4* Robin since my matchups always suck in Arena. I hate wasting the time leveling him now though, when he's going to be my first 4*-5* promotion in 2-3 weeks.

Durden77

Couple more questions..

How much should I upgrade my castle?

Can characters only he promoted 1 star or can any character go all the way up to 5?

Also is there no rewards for the training rooms right now?

Couple more questions..

Can characters only he promoted 1 star or can any character go all the way up to 5?

I think I'm up to 80% in regards to experience.

I think all characters can make it to 5 stars

There is no rewards today for training, But its worth it due half stam if you want to level.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I wonder why they werent higher up on those other tiers. Is she not as valuable in regular gameplay modes?
She's very strong in PvE stuff. Won't help much on some of the heavy stumbling blocks like 9-2 though where you have to fight off three heavies. But you see lots of infantry and she is a great tool for dealing with them, or cutting straight to backline healers/mages. Evaluation of neutrals was just poor from people making tier lists with the spotlight on Takumi, but for where things are at bonus damage to infantry is infinitely more valuable than the bonus damage to flying archers get.

Quixzlizx

Couple more questions..

1. All the way

2. All the way

3. No badge rewards on Mondays, for some stupid reason.

Durden77

I think I'm up to 80% in regards to experience.

I think all characters can make it to 5 stars

There is no rewards today for training, But its worth it due half stam if you want to level.

1. All the way

2. All the way

3. No badge rewards on Mondays, for some stupid reason.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Last question...

Are all characters the same? For instance if I pull a 3 star Donnell and a 2 star Donnell, is that 2 star one technically the same character if they are both upgraded to 5*? Or can the same characters have different versions?

Gotcha. Thanks.

Last question...

Are all characters the same? For instance if I pull a 3 star Donnell and a 2 star Donnell, is that 2 star one technically the same character if they are both upgraded to 5*? Or can the same characters have different versions?

Each character has their own unique IVs that are pre-determined when you summon them. If you've been keeping up with the thread, that's why you'll hear +ATK/-HP version of "character X," or a +RES/-DEF version of the same character....

Durden77

Each character has their own unique IVs that are pre-determined when you summon them. If you've been keeping up with the thread, that's why you'll hear +ATK/-HP version of "character X," or a +RES/-DEF version of the same character....

Ah....shit. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I'm gonna try my best not to get into that stuff and just keep it simple.

Oh and shit 1 more question haha. Any point in leveling a character beyond 20 before a promotion? Thanks for all the help.

redcrayon

Ah....shit. I was hoping that would be the case. I'm gonna try my best not to get into that stuff and just keep it simple.

Oh and shit 1 more question haha. Any point in leveling a character beyond 20 before a promotion? Thanks for all the help.
It's worth levelling 4* ones as they are still strong units that can round out a team depending on the mission, and you are unlikely to have the feathers to promote all of them. For 3* and below, not so much.

cw_sasuke

When I'm training my Lucina should I upgrade my Spur Attack and Defiant Speed or should I go for Aether first?

Upgrade Aether last since you will rarely be able to use it with its high CD while Lucina benefits from the other skills right away - Lucina kills so many unit that you will have learnt all your skills quite fast anyway. So it doesnt make a big difference....but go for the other skills first.
Yeah, you're right, I often think in Arena only mode, where +4 damage can be the difference between OHKO and not. Maybe I'll level Wrys up next. I was working on Serra but I think I like Wrys skillset better.

Yup - after losing once on one of the 17/18 stamina Lunatic story chapters i dont enter them anymore without Wrys lol.

Quixzlizx

When I'm training my Lucina should I upgrade my Spur Attack and Defiant Speed or should I go for Aether first?

That depends on whether you are focusing on arena (PvP) or story missions. In arena, units usually don't get off specials that have a countdown of 5. And Spur Attack and Defiant Speed are very useful there.

Ah....shit. I was hoping that would be the case. I'm gonna try my best not to get into that stuff and just keep it simple.

Definitely upgrade the 4* to beyond 20 as they help, I couldn't have obtained 3* Narcian without my 4* Robin for instance. It gives you flexibility if you have a second team whenever you hit a brick wall in terms of progression.

Also some units, like Clarine, are not worth spending 20k feathers on to get to 5*, so yah just keep leveling them normally even if you don't plan to upgrade them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom