• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

H1PSTER

Any idea as to how I can Improve my team?

aQRFy4M.jpg

Gotchaye

Never mind. I re-read what you said and checked it.

It works as well from the looks of it, I must have made a mistake last time when using those multipliers you mentioned.

It's just I obtained the 18% figure for example from taking the (damage dealt plus enemy defense or resistance) divided by the player's attack stat. Hence giving an approximation of 1.18.

The above is just from rearranging the formula I gave.

Multiplier = (Dmg+Def)/Atk

Or

Multiplier = (Dmg+Res)/Atk

Yeah, I think it's just 20% (40% for triangle adept) rounded. "Effective against" is an additional 50% that's applied multiplicatively with color advantage (so it works out to about 1.8x for color advantage + effective, but there are two rounding steps in here).

Gotchaye

I feel like +SPE is the most important nature so you don't get attacked twice.

I think this is almost always true. The game has such a narrow range of Spds that you almost never pay a price for having too much of it and you almost always gain by having more of it.

The slowest things are ~25 and the fastest things are ~40. A Spd 40 up against a Spd 25 is only wasting 10 points. That's not nothing, but it's only maybe 3 levels' worth of stats, and they still get to attack twice. This is often still a pretty fair fight - Lucina vs Chrom depends on who's attacking first even though Lucina is wasting 6 points of Spd. This is even true for Hana vs Chrom, where she's wasting 11 points.

Meanwhile, getting more Spd will often hugely improve a character's matchups against a ton of enemies. If Hector has +Spd he doesn't get doubled by: Ogma, Narcian, Raven, baby Tiki, Eliwood, Roy, and Palla (plus some blues and neutrals), and more depending on +/- Spd IVs on other heroes. If Lucina has +Spd she now gets to double: Merric, Kagero, Jeorge, Corrin (M or F), Takumi, Olivia, Tharja, and Marth (plus some blues and other neutrals) and doesn't get doubled by Lon'qu, Hana, or +Spd Linde.

You might occasionally want +Atk instead if it puts you over some one-shot thresholds or if your character is already so fast that they're virtually always going to double-attack (Linde, maybe Minerva and Lyn). -Spd strikes me as just about always rendering a character merge-fodder except maybe for someone very slow like Effie (who has double-attack protection anyway).

It'd be different if there were very slow characters, like with Spds down to single-digits. That strikes me as the easiest niche for the game to expand into without adding new mechanics - a Spd 5 character is going to have 20 stat points to play with relative to Chrom.

Dragner

what lyn to keep? +ATK -DEF or +SPD -DEF

One has 47 atk 37 spd and the other 44 atk 40 spd

Usually +SPD is golden but 44 atk is a bit low and she has 37 speed base that is already pretty good.

PK Gaming

So the plan was to pull and make a snarky comment about how I got screwed over again

That was the plan

I didn't expect to get one of my absolute favorite characters

Literally overcome with emotion right now, lol

BOuE8IR.png

Draxal

I think this is almost always true. The game has such a narrow range of Spds that you almost never pay a price for having too much of it and you almost always gain by having more of it.

The slowest things are ~25 and the fastest things are ~40. A Spd 40 up against a Spd 25 is only wasting 10 points. That's not nothing, but it's only maybe 3 levels' worth of stats, and they still get to attack twice. This is often still a pretty fair fight - Lucina vs Chrom depends on who's attacking first even though Lucina is wasting 6 points of Spd. This is even true for Hana vs Chrom, where she's wasting 11 points.

Meanwhile, getting more Spd will often hugely improve a character's matchups against a ton of enemies. If Hector has +Spd he doesn't get doubled by: Ogma, Narcian, Raven, baby Tiki, Eliwood, Roy, and Palla (plus some blues and neutrals), and more depending on +/- Spd IVs on other heroes. If Lucina has +Spd she now gets to double: Merric, Kagero, Jeorge, Corrin (M or F), Takumi, Olivia, Tharja, and Marth (plus some blues and other neutrals) and doesn't get doubled by Lon'qu, Hana, or +Spd Linde.

You might occasionally want +Atk instead if it puts you over some one-shot thresholds or if your character is already so fast that they're virtually always going to double-attack (Linde, maybe Minerva and Lyn). -Spd strikes me as just about always rendering a character merge-fodder except maybe for someone very slow like Effie (who has double-attack protection anyway).

It'd be different if there were very slow characters, like with Spds down to single-digits. That strikes me as the easiest niche for the game to expand into without adding new mechanics - a Spd 5 character is going to have 20 stat points to play with relative to Chrom.

I'm usually fine with +ATK/+SPD. Either's fine for me except in the case of Bravers where that +ATK comes in handy.

Then you have weird things where you have a Julia who wants to get doubled by Linde just to charge up dragon fang, its so insanely rare, but it does happen.

So i got 100 orbs saved up. Should use some of em on this banner or no?

So I have 20 orbs again, is the consensus to wait for the next banner or is this one worth it?

It really depends if Seliph, Julia, Ephraim, and Eirika interest you. I think the odds of getting them are actually lower than the previous focus characters, so if that's the case, know that the odds really aren't in your favor (no matter what some of us lucky mofos are posting lol). Iced, since you only have 20, I'd save unless you really, really want one of the 4 focus characters. Miracle, since you have 100, I'd do a roll or two, maybe even orb hunt a bit, but again, only if you like one of the 4.

I don't think any of them have made a heavy impact in the arena yet?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Was in arena and a lvl 39 Chrom attacked my lvl 32 Olivia ... I thought I was going to lose Olivia, but instead she survived and took out Chrom the next turn xD. Didn't see that coming.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Ok, is there some weird damage formula for healers on the offense? I never seem to take D = their ATK - my RES. I often take much less than I think I should. Doesn't work with my DEF either, just in case I was going crazy.

Was in arena and a lvl 39 Chrom attacked my lvl 32 Olivia ... I thought I was going to lose Olivia, but instead she survived and took out Chrom the next turn xD. Didn't see that coming.

Olivia being weak in combat is a bit exaggerated - she has 20+ defense and res and very solid speed so most things can't double attack her and you would need well over 50 attack to one shot her - so she definitely can take hit from non blue attacks. And since she had solid speed she can double attack a lot of enemies.

It really depends if Seliph, Julia, Ephraim, and Eirika interest you. I think the odds of getting them are actually lower than the previous focus characters, so if that's the case, know that the odds really aren't in your favor (no matter what some of us lucky mofos are posting lol). Iced, since you only have 20, I'd save unless you really, really want one of the 4 focus characters. Miracle, since you have 100, I'd do a roll or two, maybe even orb hunt a bit, but again, only if you like one of the 4.

I don't think any of them have made a heavy impact in the arena yet?

The only one decently ranked in tier list so far is Eirika and she is red sword which was most common in first banner so I'd say it's perfectly skippable (outside of waifu factor :D )

Ok, is there some weird damage formula for healers on the offense? I never seem to take D = their ATK - my RES. I often take much less than I think I should. Doesn't work with my DEF either, just in case I was going crazy.

Me and ggx2ac were discussing it on the page just before this :p
I thought it was halved after the damage calculation but according to ggx2ac:

I have just checked and will be adding it

Healers have a 29% damage decrease with their staves when they enter combat or approximately a multiplier of 0.71 for their attack.

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but does 5* Focus simply mean that those specific characters have an additional 3% chance of being rolled, on top of the regular 3% chance as regular 5*s?

(Waiting out the daily bonuses at this point, they really need to roll out more content...)

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but does 5* Focus simply mean that those specific characters have an additional 3% chance of being rolled, on top of the regular 3% chance as regular 5*s?

(Waiting out the daily bonuses at this point, they really need to roll out more content...)
Yup, as far as I'm aware it's what you just said: higher chance than normal, nothing else :3

To clarify (and I could be wrong on this interpretation so someone correct me if I am) it's effectively as if they added an entry for the 5 star version of those characters into the summoning table a second time.

Sölf

Man, when you have nothing to do except leveling it really get boring. I hope we get some new content soon. I have nearly all relevant characters at level 20+.

Wichu

Yup, as far as I'm aware it's what you just said: higher chance than normal, nothing else :3

To clarify (and I could be wrong on this interpretation so someone correct me if I am) it's effectively as if they added an entry for the 5 star version of those characters into the summoning table a second time.

That's not quite right. There's a separate table for the focus characters. Each orb has a 58% chance to be a random 3*, a 36% chance to be a random 4*, a 3% chance to be a random 5*, and an additional 3% chance to be a random focus character. The chance of pulling a particular focus character isn't 2x the chance of a non-focus 5*; it's something closer to 10x.

Slashlen

If you're talking about getting any character, then yes. If you're after a specific character, then it depends on how many characters of that color are in the focus. Using the current one, Julia is the only green. If you pull a green stone, there is a 3% of getting the focus, and that focus character will always be Julia. But there are two reds(Eirika and Seliph). If you pull a red stone and get the 3% focus, it's 1.5% for each of them.

redcrayon

I could be wrong too, but I thought it was more far more likely to roll a focus 5* than a non-focus 5* because the 3% chance devoted to the focus characters is only split between four of them, and the other 3% devoted to all other 5* is split between all characters. That gives a far, far better than double chance of rolling a specific focus 5* than any other 5*, should you be lucky enough to roll one.

Rough EG-
3% chance split between four 5* characters= 0.75% per focus character.
3% chance split between 38 other 5* =0.079% each.
36% between 75 4* characters =0.8% each.
58% divided between 48 3* characters =1.2% each.

Basically you're almost as likely to pull a specific focus 5* as any specific 4*, and far less likely (about ten times less) to pull a specific non-focus 5*.

Obviously you can influence the odds with choice of colour Sphere too.

That's not quite right. There's a separate table for the focus characters. Each orb has a 58% chance to be a random 3*, a 36% chance to be a random 4*, a 3% chance to be a random 5*, and an additional 3% chance to be a random focus character. The chance of pulling a particular focus character isn't 2x the chance of a non-focus 5*; it's something closer to 10x.
Coolies, thanks for the clarification :3

No you're right, I have no idea where he's getting all these non-rounded numbers from.
:eek:

Sushen

I just lost all my data by choosing to delete the data from one device. I thought it only deletes from that device only. I guess that's one way to beat the addiction as I'm done.

Gotchaye

If you're talking about getting any character, then yes. If you're after a specific character, then it depends on how many characters of that color are in the focus. Using the current one, Julia is the only green. If you pull a green stone, there is a 3% of getting the focus, and that focus character will always be Julia. But there are two reds(Eirika and Seliph). If you pull a red stone and get the 3% focus, it's 1.5% for each of them.

This doesn't appear to be how it works. You're talking like if you just do a bunch of full 5-pulls you expect to end up with twice as many Julias as Eirikas. We've seen collection screens for a bunch of whales who put in a lot of money on the first set of banners, and they always seemed to end up with a ton of red 5*s. Also in this case it's not clear how the system is supposed to handle stones that don't have focus characters.

The best theory I've seen is that the game first picks a rarity (3*, 4*, 5*, 5* focus), then randomly chooses a hero from that class. Then it looks at the color of that hero and shows a stone of that color on the summoning screen. This has interesting implications for the probability of getting a 5* from each color of stone - it is much more likely from stones that have more focus heroes.

My flier team is pretty damn fun, I haven't lost an arena match with it yet, though I need another flier so I can take out my 4* lvl20 Olivia, who is basically hurting my score with her stats. I have Camilla, Hinoka, and Palla. I hope I get a Cordelia since she has galeforce + brave weapons. The flier buffs from Hinoka and Palla make the brave weapons on Camilla and Hinoka pretty OD that they one turn most threats before they can counter attack, even Takumi. If I get a Cordelia, I think getting the build up to galeforce would be an easy feat with the buff handed out by Hinoka.

My defense team definitely isn't a flier team though, the AI probably would be too dumb to position the team properly for buffs.

Slashlen

This doesn't appear to be how it works. You're talking like if you just do a bunch of full 5-pulls you expect to end up with twice as many Julias as Eirikas. We've seen collection screens for a bunch of whales who put in a lot of money on the first set of banners, and they always seemed to end up with a ton of red 5*s. Also in this case it's not clear how the system is supposed to handle stones that don't have focus characters.

The best theory I've seen is that the game first picks a rarity (3*, 4*, 5*, 5* focus), then randomly chooses a hero from that class. Then it looks at the color of that hero and shows a stone of that color on the summoning screen. This has interesting implications for the probability of getting a 5* from each color of stone - it is much more likely from stones that have more focus heroes.

It's consistent with that theory. It depends on whether or not you're taking into account the stone colors when picking. You are less likely to get Eirika on a single red stone than you are Julia on a single green, but you are more likely to see red stones. That's why I made the distinction about whether or not you were pulling for anyone or for someone specific, and I noted that these were from pulls of a specific color.

Edit: Regarding the theory and stones without focus characters, it would mean that you just don't have that 3% chance for anything. If the system had picked a focus character, it would be a different color. The fact that it isn't means that you didn't get a focus character. One thing about the math is whether you're thinking about this from before you enter the screen(nothing generated), or after you're in and you're picking stones because the picks have to have been generated by that point(according to the theory) because the stones give additional information about what was generated.

Wichu

From what I've heard, this is most likely how it works. Here are the numbers I've calculated for each stone colour under the current banner:

Red:
5*: 8.17%
4*: 36.14%
3*: 55.69%

Blue:
5*: 6.01%
4*: 35.55%
3*: 58.44%

Green:
5*: 7.18%
4*: 37.43%
3*: 55.38%

Colourless:
5*: 2.25%
4*: 35.15%
3*: 62.60%

If you just want a 5* hero, don't pull from colourless stones right now :p

From what I've heard, this is most likely how it works. Here are the numbers I've calculated for each stone colour under the current banner:

Red:
5*: 8.17%
4*: 36.14%
3*: 55.69%

Blue:
5*: 6.01%
4*: 35.55%
3*: 58.44%

Green:
5*: 7.18%
4*: 37.43%
3*: 55.38%

Colourless:
5*: 2.25%
4*: 35.15%
3*: 62.60%

If you just want a 5* hero, don't pull from colourless stones right now :p

Thanks for posting this, I noticed I counted an extra red 4* for some reason on my spreadsheet :p

OVDRobo

Sölf;230558971 said:
Man, when you have nothing to do except leveling it really get boring. I hope we get some new content soon. I have nearly all relevant characters at level 20+.

Agreed. There's a pretty severe bottleneck in the progression mechanics of this game at the moment in the form of hero feathers.

Even if they can't roll out actual, full-blown content quick enough since the game's just launched, the current situation is pretty dire once you reach this point.

I'm in the position where I can no longer pull any more characters since I'm out of ways to acquire orbs and while I have probably a dozen or so units that I could potentially promote and grind up again I have no way to do so because I'm dependent on the arena rollover and the limited number of feathers that comes with each season.

I'll be the first to admit I've been pretty ravenous about consuming the game's content, but at this point I can't even grind because I'm out of characters I even vaguely care about to level up to 20 to set up for promotion. Throwing out a 1.5x EXP event only served to amplify this problem.

I'm also running into the Pokemon problem that I've got a viable team consisting of some of my favourite characters at their best, so outside of being forced to go for a new team of characters I like less due to power creep, I'm feeling a bit of redundancy in even pulling new characters.

Gotchaye

It's consistent with that theory. It depends on whether or not you're taking into account the stone colors when picking. You are less likely to get Eirika on a single red stone than you are Julia on a single green, but you are more likely to see red stones. That's why I made the distinction about whether or not you were pulling for anyone or for someone specific, and I noted that these were from pulls of a specific color.

Edit: Regarding the theory and stones without focus characters, it would mean that you just don't have that 3% chance for anything. If the system had picked a focus character, it would be a different color. The fact that it isn't means that you didn't get a focus character.

Then I'm not sure what you're saying, exactly. What's throwing me is that you originally said "If you pull a green stone, there is a 3% of getting the focus". But that doesn't appear to be true. The conditional probability of getting the focus given that you picked a green stone is somewhat higher than that. It did not seem to me that you had an explanation for why you might be more likely to see red stones. I do agree that you're more likely to see red stones because there are 2 red focus characters, but this is a tiny effect. Mostly you're more likely to see red stones because there are a billion red 3*s and 4*s.

Edit: What's neat is that if a focus comes along which has 2 green heroes in it you're going to have fantastic odds of a 5* with green stones. There are so few green 3*s and 4*s that this gets you about a 10% chance at a 5*, comparable to red stones with the first Legendary Heroes banner.

Achtius

Edit: What's neat is that if a focus comes along which has 2 green heroes in it you're going to have fantastic odds of a 5* with green stones. There are so few green 3*s and 4*s that this gets you about a 10% chance at a 5*, comparable to red stones with the first Legendary Heroes banner.

I guess this is why Hector is so rare

Gotchaye

I guess this is why Hector is so rare

He shouldn't be any rarer than any other non-focus 5* unless people are specifically avoiding green stones. Green stones are less common because there are fewer green heroes, so you're more likely to get particular green heroes when you pick a green stone.

Slashlen

Then I'm not sure what you're saying, exactly. What's throwing me is that you originally said "If you pull a green stone, there is a 3% of getting the focus". But that doesn't appear to be true. The conditional probability of getting the focus given that you picked a green stone is somewhat higher than that. It did not seem to me that you had an explanation for why you might be more likely to see red stones. I do agree that you're more likely to see red stones because there are 2 red focus characters, but this is a tiny effect. Mostly you're more likely to see red stones because there are a billion red 3*s and 4*s.

I think in an attempt to keep it simple my original post lost some of the details. What I was trying to differentiate was that the improvement depended on what you were actually going for. If you just want 5* units, then yes as a whole it's +3%, but if you want specific units then it matters how many of that unit's color are in the focus because they dilute the pool if you're pulling a specific color. By picking a color, you effectively remove a lot of units from the pool. And everything else being equal, you're more likely to get the focus unit you want when it's the only one of that color left in the focus pool.

Firemind

Kagero is pretty much the most OP character with Olivia. She can oneshot Takumi with Hone Attack. Everyone is using Hector too who is usually dead weight. Not that I'm complaining.

Cerium

Hector is dead weight if you have the right counter, if you don't then he's virtually unstoppable.

Kagero is easily dealt with by a flier. My Cordelia one shots her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom