• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
My current team is so squishy...working for feathers is so hard. I want to 5* Cordelia, but would you guys advise someone else from this crew?

Edit: fixed, posting image from mobile.
Your team actually looks somewhat similar to mine. I run Lucina/Nowi/Olivia/Jakob.

Can you pick up Olivia from the special battles? I find Olivia really helped my team work because of her dance+attack boost. She lets ranged people slip in hits from range before backing off. In your case, she would be doing that with Julia. She's also good for helping Lucina and Nowi get double hits or fast repositions. You might want to give her a try, since having one character be able to help people reposition helps a lot.

I don't have your other key characters, so I dont' know who else to recommend. I can help with what I've found from the Lucina + Nowi + ranged setup, though.

Nowi is the main tank in your current setup. She's actually really durable, though you still need to keep her away from Falchion/green users unless she's getting the final blow in. She should be able to soak + soften at least one unit at a time, then you can follow up on your turn to finish people off.

The main weakness I see in your current group is Takumi or groups with multiple ranged units. I usually fight Takumi by letting a tough ranged character lure him in to soften him with a counterattack, then send in someone to finish the job. You can probably do that with Nowi + followup with Julia, but that may put too much work on Nowi if she has too many other blues to tank as well.

Having Lissa there to heal Nowi back up between fights could be helpful, though normally a healer is somewhat discouraged in arena because most units kill each other too fast for a healer to be useful.

Your other matchups go something like this, from what I've found:

Hector: Lucina can kill Hector alone if her skill is active, and if she's at full health. Kill everything else on the map, run Lucina around until she regenerates to full, then go in for the kill.

Effie: Probably save for last, then kite around until you find a mountain or something that lets Julia hit her without getting attacked on the next turn. If Julia doesn't oneshot her, Nowi can probably go in for a killing blow.

Falchion users: Hit at range with Julia if safe to do so, but tank with Lucina + def buff from Nowi if you need to lure someone in. Finish with either Lucina or Nowi. Nowi's damage on Falchion users is good - just make sure the target doesn't survive to counter her.

Blue melee: Probably Nowi to tank and then nuke with Julia.

Blue ranged, like Robin: Can Julia kill these in one round? If not, probably tank with Nowi and follow up with Julia. I don't know if Julia can tank and counter a ranged unit herself.

Green melee: You can tank or kill with Lucina + Nowi defense buff. It helps to take care of greens fairly early because then Lucina gets a chance to regenerate without running away much.

Dragons: I bet Lucina and Julia make short work of these.

Takumi and other ranged units: These are the ones that scare me. Probably tank the first hit with Nowi and followup with whoever you can. Lissa can help bring Nowi back up.

J-Tier

Your team actually looks somewhat similar to mine. I run Lucina/Nowi/Olivia/Jakob.

Can you pick up Olivia from the special battles? I find Olivia really helped my team work because of her dance+attack boost. She lets ranged people slip in hits from range before backing off. In your case, she would be doing that with Julia. She's also good for helping Lucina and Nowi get double hits or fast repositions. You might want to give her a try, since having one character be able to help people reposition helps a lot.

I'll take your advice and grab Olivia. I figured Lissa was the hole in my team. I assumed having a healer was key, but I kept getting wrecked in arena, but didn't want to part with Lissa. Looks like I might have to, to build a solid team.

Takumi and other ranged units: These are the ones that scare me. Probably tank the first hit with Nowi and followup with whoever you can. Lissa can help bring Nowi back up.
Yeah, I have problems with Takumi too. I usually prioritize killing him, and that sometimes screws up the whole strategy when a key team member gets ohko.

Wichu

I'll take your advice and grab Olivia. I figured Lissa was the hole in my team. I assumed having a healer was key, but I kept getting wrecked in arena, but didn't want to part with Lissa. Looks like I might have to, to build a solid team.

I don't think healers are really that important - combat is generally a very quick affair, and it's better to have another damage dealer than someone who might be able to help another unit win a fight. If fights were slower (your average attack did less than 50% damage), healers would be more useful.

And this is coming from someone who has a healer on his team - as soon as I get a good green unit chances are I'm dropping Elise :)

*Looks at some stats*

Xander: 44 HP | 48 Atk | 24 Spd | 37 Def | 19 Res
Hector: 52 HP | 52 Atk | 24 Spd | 37 Def | 19 Res

Hm...Both get roasted against mages/dragons, but one can at least approach mages to score a free hit (and potentially win if the mage is sent below 50% HP) while the other just dies because they can't approach. Ranged Counter will let Hector get a hit in, but that's it.

It's just, I wouldn't really use them in a similar way. Catria's kit makes her amazing against red units, as well as having a good matchup against fellow blues and frail mages. I wouldn't really use Xander in a similar way, especially since he's 2000x slower, and way vulnerable. He's more of a mobile tank, I figure.

43 effective Def if Xander initiates makes him incredibly tough against anything physical. Getting 2x'd by a swordsman doesn't matter much to him as the strongest reds are lucky to be at 50 Atk and even luckier if they aren't sent to <50% HP from a single attack from Xander. The next turn they can only get one attack in at his standard 37 Def without a Brave weapon before he finishes the job if they aren't bulky enough. Provided that attack isn't Luna *Stares at Lucina who he should let attack first* he'll come out on top.

That said, yeah, Catria gets the benefit of being able to outright kill slower targets if she outspeeds them thanks to Luna. Even if she can't, she's got Luna ready for enemy phase unlike Xander, giving her a 2RKO on almost every lancer in existence while Xander's got fewer 2RKOs. That clutch factor (and not dying to dragons) make her the better of the two.

He's still pretty good at Catria-like things though and he can do a few things Catria can't. Notably, he's got Ranged Counter, meaning any archers or ninjas harassing him won't get away for free. Heck, with 3 Mov, he's easily capable of approaching them, smacking them, then smacking them again on their turn. He can even do this to mages if he really needs to. Catria wishes she could do that to archers.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Still playing occasionally, but I feel like Nintendo missed the boat on this game.

I get that the collection aspect and difficulty levels appeal to some. For me though I think the game needed to launch with more base content. I struggle to want to login and play these days.

Terra Battle was much better in this regard at launch.

J-Tier

Still playing occasionally, but I feel like Nintendo missed the boat on this game.

I get that the collection aspect and difficulty levels appeal to some. For me though I think the game needed to launch with more base content. I struggle to want to login and play these days.

Terra Battle was much better in this regard at launch.
It would be nice if there were more modes. I'd like one where you can battle NPC versions of your friends' teams. I'd also like another where you could have a mirror match against your own team.

I would say Robin, but I'm biased because I have a 5* Robin on my team :p Also, you can't actually summon a 5* Robin right now, if you look at the banner details, he only comes in 3* and 4* while you could still get a 5* star Kagero that way.

Robin carries my team on his back, but Kagero is very good too. Check their base stats before you blow 20,000 feathers.

edit: if you don't know how to do so, either use an IV calculator or just compare their level 1 stats to here:

http://feheroes.wiki/Robin_(M)
http://feheroes.wiki/Kagero

Subtract the weapon damage from the stat totals. If they aren't level 1 (obviously they aren't in your case), get them to 20 or above and preview them with unlock potential. It'll show their stats as a level 1 5 star unit. I wouldn't promote one with a negative attack or speed stat.

Thanks! I went with Robin.

kewlmyc

I don't get how Arena works. I get 7 in a row and get a score of at least 2000+. Done this like 4 times now (7 wins in a row), and my score hasn't changed. Just to make sure, I just got done with a 7 streak that netted me 2034 gold metals. Before the last match, I had 2162 gold metals, and after the streak, I still have 2162 gold metals. What the hell? Does it just not automatically add your gold ranking to your score and you have to wait for it to do so, or is my game glitched?

Quixzlizx

I don't get how Arena works. I get 7 in a row and get a score of at least 2000+. Done this like 4 times now (7 wins in a row), and my score hasn't changed. Just to make sure, I just got done with a 7 streak that netted me 2034 gold metals. Before the last match, I had 2162 gold metals, and after the streak, I still have 2162 gold metals. What the hell? Does it just not automatically add your gold ranking to your score and you have to wait for it to do so, or is my game glitched?

Your end of week score is your best result from a streak. Your streaks aren't added together.

Oh....

So to get better scores since I'm already doing intermediate, is to either use the heroes of the week, or try not to get any deaths. Gotcha.

Yup, also the score you earn is based on the total combined value of the enemy team's stats and the matchmaking is based off your own team's combined total stats so a higher stats total on your team = more points when you win :p

Westlo

Finally farmed another 20 orbs.... got 4 three star characters in a row qq. Had a blue left and thought azura would be nice. Out she came /blessed.

+ speed and - res too.

Guess I'll run with

Young tiki
Asura
Nino/Anna
Takumi

Still gotta upgrade Nino or Anna to 5 stars though

Mupod

We should find out in about twelve hours or so.

Japan is having the final national tournament for their card game (cipher sai east at Tokyo) around that time.

I suddenly remembered this post just now. Hopefully we see something for Heroes.

Mupod

I swear all the of the kings/princes are slow as sin.

yeah...the Merric I have would double this guy and with that res he'd be donezo even without color or flying advantage.

still, I could definitely think of some uses for a flying tank that doesn't die to arrows.

rpmurphy

How do you get them through Club Nintendo? I went to the Shop area but it only lets me do stuff like buying orbs or expanding my barracks.

Someone said I should use the character with the most Res, she's it.

EDIT: just tried it, Red Mage kills Anna in that configuration.

Normal was pretty easy for me, I had no problems with it. It's only Hard I can't do.
A lancer with decent def/speed and high res (like pegasus knight) would survive the top corner from the two mages and the axe soldier on the first turn. If there is an axe wielder that could tank the bottom, that would do as well... but having to deal with Robin is probably something you'd rather take the first advantage on.

ggx2ac

Michalis seems awesome. High base stat total, Iote's shield (fuck yo Takumi's), great attack and threaten Defense. A total steal for a freebie unit.

How do you see his stats or the image? I've been pressing everywhere on that reddit link but haven't found it.

Seik

Banned
I was at 85 orbs so tried a pull, got my 7th 5*, Kagero, right off the bat.

I stopped the pull right after that, I'm sure that's a wise decision. :lol

Got her to lvl 24 in one day...I don't know if she'll end up better than my Jakob.

Fyiz9NJ.jpg

Cerium

I was at 85 orbs so tried a pull, got my 7th 5*, Kagero, right off the bat.

I stopped the pull right after that, I'm sure that's a wise decision. :lol

Got her to lvl 24 in one day...I don't know if she'll end up better than my Jakob.
Kagero is one of the best units in the game, she's way better than Jakob.

ggx2ac

He's going to be part of my flier teams :D

I could do that too probably.

Hinoka, Palla, Minerva, Michalis.

Ward Fliers: Def/Res +4 to allies within 2 spaces during combat.

Goad Fliers: Atk/Spd +4 to allies within 2 spaces during combat.

Hone Fliers: Atk/Spd +6 buff to adjacent allies at the start of the turn.

Can easily bump Minerva and Michalis speed and attack by 10 although Minerva doesn't need that much extra speed.

Quixzlizx

I was down on Ephraim to begin with, but it really is hilarious attacking red units with him. His speed doesn't matter because he kills them all in one hit. I guess it helps that I have a +atk Ephraim, and two different Hone Attack buffers on my team. Nino and Olivia can also both get him out of danger after he drenches himself in the red blood of red swords.

I'm just about done with the last hard arena quest, so I'm guessing I should burn 12 crests tomorrow getting the 40 win lunatic quest. I don't think I'm going to go for 80 wins though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Kagero is one of the best units in the game, she's way better than Jakob.

Yeah, I have a Jakob and he's great for my team, but he rarely kills anything on his own. I use him for a 1-2 punch where Jakob hits first + debuffs, then I finish off with someone strong like Lucina. Or I use him as an offtank with his defense and regeneration.

Kagero, on the other hand, IS the strong unit who will just straight up oneshot most people. I was very surprised to find that even dragons counted as infantry and not, well, dragons. I once ended up on that map that separates your party into pairs of two. The enemy team had Linde + Kagero as one of their pair-offs, and it was fucking terrifying because they just oneshotted everyone who stepped into range.

I'd probably replace my Jakob with Kagero if I had her.

PK Gaming

I was down on Ephraim to begin with, but it really is hilarious attacking red units with him. His speed doesn't matter because he kills them all in one hit. I guess it helps that I have a +atk Ephraim, and two different Hone Attack buffers on my team. Nino and Olivia can also both get him out of danger after he drenches himself in the red blood of red swords.

I'm just about done with the last hard arena quest, so I'm guessing I should burn 12 crests tomorrow getting the 40 win lunatic quest. I don't think I'm going to go for 80 wins though.

jbp9fIp.png

Basically

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Blue ranged, like Robin: Can Julia kill these in one round? If not, probably tank with Nowi and follow up with Julia. I don't know if Julia can tank and counter a ranged unit herself.

Julia is a res tank with high (magic) attack. She eats MRobin alive.

ggx2ac

My rank drop has been slowing to a crawl. Very far from dropping below 5k in rank this season.

Kagero is annoying to fight in the tenth stratum training tower since I barely use other unit types however, an easy counter is Camilla. My one has 42 attack, Kagero's Def is around 22 and 31 HP. Camilla hitting twice with the brave axe is enough to take Kagero out in one round.

Cerium

Okay I think this is the best I'm going to get with a jank level 34 Narcian on my team.

I got Anna to 40 so hopefully that helps me with my defense team. Hasn't been doing so hot this week. Only 248 so far.

Getting 95% 3* will make me quit. Had enough for pulling 3 characters before I lost my rate up from the banner leaving in 24 hours. 3 crappy 3* not worth spending feathers on, again. I had like 23 3* and 3 4* dupe in my last 26 characters. Gacha sucks when you end up getting the short end of the stick. All I ask for is to at least get the expected statistical average. Even a bit lower than that would make it better. If it was not FE I would be out already. Still, it's unpleasant when one of your favorite series brings you negativity.

I know their business plan. They know that a % of their player base will have shit luck, be discouraged by their shit luck and leave instead of spending money because they cannot fathom spending 60$ for 20 more 3*. It's just necessery casualties of the model and it tarnishes the experience greatly when you end up in that category of players. Meh, can't blame them, their models are proven money making machines.

I don't make posts like this to bring negativity to our community. Mine is not the experience for most players. I am just unlucky, too bad for me. I make posts like this because like most gachas, people who are lucky are very vocal (understandable) and people with bad luck mostly stay silent. Sometimes you feel alone in a sea of great screenshots. Well, unlucky people, you are far from alone and I know it sucks.

ggx2ac

Okay I think this is the best I'm going to get with a jank level 34 Narcian on my team.

I got Anna to 40 so hopefully that helps me with my defense team. Hasn't been doing so hot this week. Only 248 so far.

I'm assuming you are using Narcian in your defense team.

I don't think bonus heroes are required for defense but I don't really know.

Cerium

I'm assuming you are using Narcian in your defense team.

I don't think bonus heroes are required for defense but I don't really know.

Nah I was using a lower level Olivia but after getting Anna to 40 I switched to my A Team. Bonus characters don't matter on defense.

ryIb6xG.png

One of the weirdest things I saw on my latest offensive run was a squad of all axe users. My Tiki feasted in that match.

Two questions I'm sure have been answered but long thread is long. All the content that I've "missed" so far, will that come round again? Like, special character missions, etc.

And, is there a go-to beginners guide for this game that people recommend?

Thanks!

Cerium

Two questions I'm sure have been answered but long thread is long. All the content that I've "missed" so far, will that come round again? Like, special character missions, etc.

And, is there a go-to beginners guide for this game that people recommend?

Thanks!
The only characters you can't get anymore are Narcian and Female Robin and they're nothing to write home about, especially Robin. Their events might come around again eventually but it'll probably be a while.

As for a beginner's guide... damn good question. I don't know.

ggx2ac

Oh yeah... New quests for orbs and hopefully new story chapters once it is the beginning of March.

Hopefully the next banner doesn't have insanely good characters to get because I'll be buying a Switch so I have to be cautious with money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom