• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

Aye, more 5* posts...

Red: Lyn, Lucina, Eirika
Blue: Robin
Green: Camilla, Nino
Colorless: Takumi, Sakura

Lyn and Robin were launch weekend rerolls. Takumi and Sakura were a few random 5 orb pulls. Lucina and Eirika were my second roll in the Princess banner. Camilla and Nino were 3 green/blue pulls off the Ursula banner.

Catria, Nowi, freebie Lissa, Serra, and Peri(barely) have done some good work at 4*. None of my characters have ideal natures but I'm glad to at least have some variety at this point.

Will jump in on this:

5*
Azura
Hector
Takumi
Julia
Chrom
Leo
Corrin F
Perri
Karel (as of today)

Have not spent a dime
but if it makes anyone feel better, the majority of them have the worst boon/banes possible

Also Leo is crap, Perri is underated, Corrin is amazing.

Have pretty much every base covered in terms of physical and magical damage for each class. Very unsure who to spend the next 20k feathers on.

Xetherion

Not sure why we're all listing our 5*, but here's mine:

Red:
Ogma
Marth

Blue:
Linde

Green:
none (soon to be Nino once i get 5k more feathers)

Colorless:
Kagero (promoted from 4*)
Maria
Elise

My only 5* for a long time were Maria, Elise, and Ogma. Recently promoted Kagero, just got Marth from Princess banner and Linde from Nino/Effie banner. Also got 4* Nino from Nino banner and will promote her next.

My roster is heavy on squishy ranged units, I need some durable fighters. Blew a bunch of orbs chasing Effie (after getting Linde in the first 30 orbs) and got squat. Kinda want Ninian/Azura to replace Olivia, but i have so many blues at 3*/4*...

Articalys

Yes, basically. Nothing to do with "weaker tiers", but the issue is that Arena matchmaking tries to match on raw stats, which, combined with the different scoring methods for offense and defense, creates different incentives for each side.

On offense you basically want the highest-statted team you can put together but which you can still reliably get flawless victories with. In many cases you would happily take a skill that did literally nothing but add fictitious stat points with no gameplay effect. Some characters that seem strong, like Kagero, are utterly worthless if you're aiming for a high rank, just because they have low raw stats. High-level offense teams typically include lots of armor and almost exclusively melee heroes.

Defense is very different. The matchmaking is the same, of course, but there's no ranking and no distinction between various kinds of wins. Actually, at high levels probably most defense wins are not real wins but are just the other player surrendering after losing a hero or two. And what you want is just to get at least 1 win against a sufficiently high-stat team for the season. Many people's experience with a pretty balanced defense team which resembles an effective offense team is that they're cutting it close doing this - they get only a handful of wins per season, on average, and so there's a risk of missing out on 500 feathers, plus it's just kind of a fun minigame to try to figure out how to get more defense wins. There are a couple obvious ways to do this, but some involve just going in the opposite direction of what you have to do for offense. Instead of loading a team with high stats even at the cost of some actual in-game usefulness, you load up the team with characters that have particularly high impact for their stat totals. Rather than having a balanced team that can take on all comers (to win 7 games in a row), you might choose an unbalanced team that is unfavored in most of its matchups but which crushes 10% of them (maximizing the total number of wins given that the AI is not very good). You might use a hero like Kagero. The main constraint here is that you still need to have high enough stats to get 251 points.

Nothing about this strikes me as very sinister. Like, obviously "using Kagero" is not exploiting the system, but that's basically all that's being suggested. That's just how you should be building a defense team given the matchmaking system. And your defense team will basically always be matched against players with worse rosters than you because, when you pick "advanced", the game is matching you against a higher raw stat total.
That's a fair bit more complex than I thought it was. Appreciate the explanation.

And I wasn't trying to call it "sinister", but rather trying to comment on how it appeared the way the systems were designed wound up encouraging a specific type of teambuilding.

lt519

I actually didn't get any defenses last week. I think my 5* Hinoka and Nino are doing worse than my 4* Subaki and Sophia. That or the competition is getting better.

I used to run Robin, Roy, Subaki and Sophia and they seemed to do better than my current Nino, Robin, Hinoka, Roy.

I was scrolling through characters I'd sacrifice in order to give new abilities to others in this upcoming inheritence mechanic, and I couldn't help but take notice of the ability Fury. The max version of it is +3 to each stat but take 6 damage after combat. I never used it before, but does anyone think it's worth it?

Does it happen after any combat (assuming yes) even if you are counter attacking someone? Can it kill you or does it leave you with one HP?

I'm thinking of giving this skill to my 5* Fae who heals herself 10hp every two turns. I think that might make her pretty damn good .

MANUELF

Banned
I was scrolling through characters I'd sacrifice in order to give new abilities to others in this upcoming inheritence mechanic, and I couldn't help but take notice of the ability Fury. The max version of it is +3 to each stat but take 6 damage after combat. I never used it before, but does anyone think it's worth it?

Does it happen after any combat (assuming yes) even if you are counter attacking someone? Can it kill you or does it leave you with one HP?

I'm thinking of giving this skill to my 5* Fae who heals herself 10hp every two turns. I think that might make her pretty damn good .
Is after every battle so if you get attacked is -6, if you attack is -6 and it cant kill you

lt519

Lol just pulled a Jaffar, only had one blue spot but decided to pull everything anyway. Guess I can hold off on Kagero and save my feathers.

Wow he is a debuff machine. Life and Death, Deathly Daggers and Threaten SPD over 2 spaces. After an attack he does -7def/res and -3 SPD.

Gotchaye

Every combat and it can't kill you. I'm expecting this to be pretty good, for padding stats for Arena if nothing else. I've said before that I think the natural comparison is to the generally-seen-as-good Life and Death. Fury 3 outperforms Life and Death 1 in basically every plausible situation. I don't think that you even particularly need to put it on people who can heal - in most cases you're only taking up to 3 more total damage from each combat, and if you are taking 3 more damage per combat you're still no easier to kill until the third combat of a match. It's true that you're a little easier to kill in the second combat if you one-shot something for the first (taking 6 more damage than you otherwise would've).

Every combat and it can't kill you. I'm expecting this to be pretty good, for padding stats for Arena if nothing else. I've said before that I think the natural comparison is to the generally-seen-as-good Life and Death. Fury 3 outperforms Life and Death 1 in basically every plausible situation. I don't think that you even particularly need to put it on people who can heal - in most cases you're only taking up to 3 more total damage from each combat, and if you are taking 3 more damage per combat you're still no easier to kill until the third combat of a match. It's true that you're a little easier to kill in the second combat if you one-shot something for the first (taking 6 more damage than you otherwise would've).

Do we have verification that it adds to the characters stat total when calculating the arena bonus you receive? If so that's an even better reason to use it.

Articalys

Okay, the mechanics at play here are a lot more nuanced than I took them for. I have a bad tendency to not examine the full utilization of stuff, and with everything about to happen with the skill system it's only going to get worse. Maybe I shouldn't bother anymore...

scy

Okay, the mechanics at play here are a lot more nuanced than I took them for. I have a bad tendency to not examine the full utilization of stuff, and with everything about to happen with the skill system it's only going to get worse. Maybe I shouldn't bother anymore...

Unless you're aiming for the top of the charts, this is all pretty much superfluous information. These last few arena runs have been me tossing together my best synergy units and swapping in whoever for the Arena focus (e.g., this time I have a random level 20-ish FRobin) and going from there. Still doing 4.1k-4.2k rating which is enough for max rewards and some rank-based feathers.

Basically, you don't need to do too much more than worry about trying to get 7 wins rather than nitpick stat totals if your goal is the 4k rating feather mark and the defense feathers.

Articalys

Unless you're aiming for the top of the charts, this is all pretty much superfluous information. These last few arena runs have been me tossing together my best synergy units and swapping in whoever for the Arena focus (e.g., this time I have a random level 20-ish FRobin) and going from there. Still doing 4.1k-4.2k rating which is enough for max rewards and some rank-based feathers.

Basically, you don't need to do too much more than worry about trying to get 7 wins rather than nitpick stat totals if your goal is the 4k rating feather mark and the defense feathers.
See, I'm probably a lot further behind than you think I am, since I have no idea what the bolded means.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
When rolling about 80 orbs for Ninian, I against all odds pulled two 5* Lindes. Pretty remarkable because I was primarily going for blues, but kept getting reds... One of the Lindes is plus attack. She seems promising, but worth bumping a spot on my team, which already has these red 5*: Tiki (Y), Tiki (A), Lyn and Eirika?

lt519

I've got a team I'm training up right now. Caeda, Jaffar, Olivia, Ursula. Holy crap buffing Jaffar with Caeda then having him debuff an enemy followed by an Ursula x2 or another Jaffar attack is deadly.

Not to mention having a horseslayer and an armorslayer on the team is interesting.

Has anyone done a Takumi, Ursula, Caeda, Kagero team? That's a slayer for every unit type in the game..

spiritfox

5*s

Red: Eirika, Lyn, M-Corrin
Blue: Catria, Linde, Sharena
Green: Minerva, Nino
Colorless: Takumi, Maria

Not bad for not spending a cent on orbs.

alcheim

Just wanted to get Ninian, and spent 100 orbs for nothing but 3-4* Stahls, Robins and palewings.

During my last pull, finally managed to get a 5* ... dupe Linde

scy

See, I'm probably a lot further behind than you think I am, since I have no idea what the bolded means.

I just mean things like I don't want to put together 4 Red units since a single Blue will basically steamroll them all due to the weapon triangle. Or maybe not all ranged / caster types since one high RES physical unit will auto-win all fights. Basically just take your favorite / leveled units, make sure you have some variety, and then go from there.

lt519

Just pulled a second 5* Hinoka with the remainder of my free orbs, 40+1 Hinoka only got a HP and SPD Boost Probably should have taken the feathers.

I got a 5* Jaffar out of four summons using those 20 bonus orbs. So Marth (x2), Catria, Sanaki, and now Jaffar for 5*. Would be neat to get a 5* green one of these days. 4* Camilla and 4* Anna my go-tos for green right now.

parasight

5*s
Red - Lucina, Roy, Ogma, Karel
Blue - Effie (upgraded), Peri, Reinhardt
Green - none :(
Colorless - Elise

Spent $0 on the game thus far, so pretty happy with what I've pulled. Haven't chased specific colours yet, just always pull 20 orbs at a time. I should really probably start pulling only Greens though when a Hector banner arrives.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So reposting from the last page, which units will get 4-starred when this banner will go away? I'm thinking everyone but Ninian will get 4 starred. Could be wrong tho.

Pretty happy with my current team. Working on Nino next since I need a replacement for Hector on defense.

Vy4wMUC.png

PK Gaming

So reposting from the last page, which units will get 4-starred when this banner will go away? I'm thinking everyone but Ninian will get 4 starred. Could be wrong tho.

I'm thinking everyone but Ninian and Jafar will become 4's. Those fuckers know badly people want those characters.

Griss

I've been travelling since Friday for a full week, so I decided to try this game.

So far it's a pretty slick timewaster, but not exactly a great game. As a Fire Emblem fan, though, I can't deny that all the fanservice does hook me in. Most of the 'gameplay' seems to happen in menus, though, and there seems to be endless different currencies.

I read the OP but I have some questions:
-Are the rates accurate? I've summoned 30 heroes now (6 full summon sessions) and no sign of any 5 star units, and only 6 out of 30 have been 4 stars. Basically 1 four star and 4 three stars every time. Is this just my typical shit luck? Also, the only character I truly hate is Corrin and that's 3 of my 6 four star units.

-How do you select which colour orbs you want? I've only ever had 3 blue orbs, so it's really hurting my team. Obviously you want to summon the whole table of orbs, but how do you cancel out if the table doesn't have any of the colour you want?

-Is it worth it to promote a unit? I promoted two of my best 3-star units as my team sucked bad and now after a couple of days I have a full 4-star team of each colour (finally!) but my promotes aren't levelling up quite as well as they did the first time around. Feels like it was a lot of work for little gain.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Ninian is -hp +def , she good?

Got 4 star robin + res - speed

and 4 star abel -atk +speed

Unfortunately that's probably the worst boon/bane to have for Robin. His res is pretty garbage anyways, so he's not really meant to fight mages. He's more of a phys tank.
His speed is what helps him beat Takumi, so -Spd leads him to getting doubled by Takumi (and other characters), which isn't good.

Having speed is good for Abel, but having lower attack on a brave user hurts. No idea about Ninian, but at worst it seems pretty neutral.

So finally finished Lunatic 9-5 on my second account... and Linde makes that super easy o_O. She OHKOed Xander. Too bad my Lucina is -ATK or she would've OHKOed Veronica. Instead I used a light's blessing since the blue mage took out Lucina and Veronica took out Linde. I probably could actually try to beat this without a light's blessing if I wanted to, although I don't really care to right now.

I've been travelling since Friday for a full week, so I decided to try this game.

So far it's a pretty slick timewaster, but not exactly a great game. As a Fire Emblem fan, though, I can't deny that all the fanservice does hook me in. Most of the 'gameplay' seems to happen in menus, though, and there seems to be endless different currencies.

I read the OP but I have some questions:
-Are the rates accurate? I've summoned 30 heroes now (6 full summon sessions) and no sign of any 5 star units, and only 6 out of 30 have been 4 stars. Basically 1 four star and 4 three stars every time. Is this just my typical shit luck? Also, the only character I truly hate is Corrin and that's 3 of my 6 four star units.

-How do you select which colour orbs you want? I've only ever had 3 blue orbs, so it's really hurting my team. Obviously you want to summon the whole table of orbs, but how do you cancel out if the table doesn't have any of the colour you want?

-Is it worth it to promote a unit? I promoted two of my best 3-star units as my team sucked bad and now after a couple of days I have a full 4-star team of each colour (finally!) but my promotes aren't levelling up quite as well as they did the first time around. Feels like it was a lot of work for little gain.
The core mechanics are actually pretty good, and once you get to later stages or doing Arena it starts coming into play.

Yes the rates are accurate. Whales who have summoned 1000s of times had %ages pretty close to what's advertised. You just had pretty average/bad luck, which plenty of us do.

You can't select the color of the orbs when summoning. If you don't like the colors, you have to summon at least once before trying to get out. When you try again, you'll see different color orbs.

Yes it's worth promoting a unit if they're good. The same character will always reach the same stats at level 40 and if they're a 4*, they'll have better stats than at 3. However, the level ups in between are random in terms of what stats go up. If they aren't going up fast at the lower levels, they'll eventually go much faster at later levels to compensate.

Sushen

Has anyone figured out between pulling a certain color and all 5 at a time, which has a better odd? I wonder if those lower cost by pulling as a group is actually saving orbs.

Has anyone figured out between pulling a certain color and all 5 at a time, which has a better odd? I wonder if those lower cost by pulling as a group is actually saving orbs.

Of course it does. each pull in a row cost you one less orb. Problem is when you get trolled and get a bunch of colors you don't want or need.

Gotchaye

Generally no, it doesn't save orbs. If you only care about getting 5*s, and you don't care which ones, then for this banner grays are worth about twice as much as reds and blues and maybe three times as much as greens. If you're happy pulling reds or blues for an average cost of ~4.5 orbs, it's still a worse deal to pick a green even as the final 3-cost stone.

That said, your odds of getting a 5* are biased heavily towards the focus heroes. Really you probably shouldn't ever pull a stone that doesn't have a focus hero you'd be happy getting, even if it's the last one and only costs 3. Edit: The Princess banner we just had was really good because two thirds of the heroes were very desirable reds, and you were getting really good value by picking only reds from it. Presumably at some point we're going to have a 100% red banner because of the way that poll worked out, and that will be the best odds we've seen yet.

Griss

The core mechanics are actually pretty good, and once you get to later stages or doing Arena it starts coming into play.

Yes the rates are accurate. Whales who have summoned 1000s of times had %ages pretty close to what's advertised. You just had pretty average/bad luck, which plenty of us do.

You can't select the color of the orbs when summoning. If you don't like the colors, you have to summon at least once before trying to get out. When you try again, you'll see different color orbs.

Yes it's worth promoting a unit if they're good. The same character will always reach the same stats at level 40 and if they're a 4*, they'll have better stats than at 3. However, the level ups in between are random in terms of what stats go up. If they aren't going up fast at the lower levels, they'll eventually go much faster at later levels to compensate.

Thanks for this, this is great - had no idea that stats were fixed at lvl 40, so that means worrying about level ups is stupid.

Okay, here's another question. It seems like I can only earn red badges from the training levels, which I've been farming for exp and badges to promote my 3 star characters. How do you get different coloured badges?

mikemandey

5* Units:

Linde +2, Eirika +4, Hector, Ryoma, Takumi, Azura, Young Tiki, Effie, Lyn

Played since launch and spent some money but nothing to write home about (probably on par with the price of 1 AAA game)

Sushen

Generally no, it doesn't save orbs. If you only care about getting 5*s, and you don't care which ones, then for this banner grays are worth about twice as much as reds and blues and maybe three times as much as greens. If you're happy pulling reds or blues for an average cost of ~4.5 orbs, it's still a worse deal to pick a green even as the final 3-cost stone.

That said, your odds of getting a 5* are biased heavily towards the focus heroes. Really you probably shouldn't ever pull a stone that doesn't have a focus hero you'd be happy getting, even if it's the last one and only costs 3.
Thanks for the answer. If I want only blue or colorless, not pulling any red or green saves orbs trying to get 5* units, right?

Dee Dee

I did a few pulls on the first banners and have been saving orbs ever since.
(Next Lyn banner when?)

All I have to show for is a +ATK / - SPD Takumi (goddamn why, and I fused a second 5* into him without checking that other's stats...) and Ogma as my 5*s.

It's okay though, I can do well enough for steady feathers in arena with Takumi, and am otherwise crawling through story mode and the side quests. "Lunatic" difficulty is mostly hopeless for me though.
I got some nice green 4*s (Raven and Frederick) and Subaki at 4* is pulling his weight a lot as the blue guy on my team. I mostly use a 3* Olivia over Ogma though, just allows for more flexibility. Before that I would also add a 3* Saizo that helped with mages. Still not able to counter armored units well in that way, and no one can really take a lot of hits, which is why I never get to clear the special maps on higher difficulties. But I just feather everyone up to 4* and that's good enough for now.

By the way, I think it's cool that one of the new missions gives a 2* Draug as a reward. The unit itself is crap, but I need some more armored units for some of the other missions, and free units that add variety are always nice! I hope they add more like this if they don't intend to add more units to the special map rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom