• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

This is a Fire Emblem game. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to start with a male character. It's in the rules.

BUT if you want to violate that rule, I would definitely stop with Hector and start playing the game. Any base 5 character is the most desirable imo.
I'm not even rerolling lol, just playing through. Really happy to get such a rare unit so quickly, he has Distant Counter too which sounds useful.

He appears to move only one square at a time though which is... hmm

PK Gaming

The game just started and the level of difficulty will go up. That pretty much how all gacha games work. If the enemies are easy there's no need for power creep which means no need to summon which means no revenue.

Stat distribution is very important. Imagine an MMORPG/Western RPG where you can't control your state placement and its completely random.

Except this isn't an MMO. You're fighting CPU controlled mooks that you can muscle through with units that have optimal skills and generally higher stats. Even if you get distribution screwed, it's doubtful they'll ever close the gap, and even then, CPUs are susceptible to basic strats like turtling. In the pseudo PVP setting, sure it sucks when your opponent stats end up being better than yours, but the gap is never large enough to a point where you straight up lose for being lucky.

Randomized growths are part of the Fire Emblem experience, and they aren't even fully randomized. It's not the end of the world if you're a few points off Strength or HP. There aren't any dump stats either, so it's not like you can even get a Lyn with max magic or w/e.

Seik

Banned
My team so far.

Virion has a nice 5* entourage. :3

BdufXi1.jpg

kewlmyc

I dunno. One Piece Treasure Cruise, Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, Fate Grand Order, Kingdom Hearts Unchained Chi. That's four gacha games based on four big franchises. They all have stories which aren't a joke like Fire Emblem Heroes.

Guess I'll have to check those out as well. The ones I've played or tampered with (Tales of Link, Digimon, Naruto, SAO) have kinda nothing stories as well.

Ultimadrago

So I'm up to Chapter 7 in the story and I'm kinda lukewarm on the game as a whole. While the smaller maps and fewer units are nice because it keeps the gameplay at a bite-size level, the actual quality of that bite is kind of lacking. Maps being small means there's very little room for tactics to be used, It leads to brawls instantly. With only 4 slots for characters, there's not very much in the way of team-building. When you combine that with the fact that evasion and criticals aren't in the game, you're pretty much cornered into running counters or relying on high levels with good stat boosts to overcome taking damage and dealing damage to units with high defense and the like. It feels like units aren't good enough until they hit 5-star after awhile as well.

I'll probably continue playing for the time being and see how fast Feathers can be gathered since I got a 4-star Roy last night but I don't know how long my interest will last considering everything.

I wonder whether it is just a question of time or not to let it flesh out. I agree with you and find this to be a rather unsatisfying first impression, but new systems/changes can possibly make better of it within the next how-many months. I don't know if I'll be around by then, but I suppose I'll keep a passive ear out for reception in the case I've dropped it.

Draxal

I'm not even rerolling lol, just playing through. Really happy to get such a rare unit so quickly, he has Distant Counter too which sounds useful.

Tbh, I'm not sure what to think of him. I'm assuming Armads works if he gets one shotted, but I really hate his lack of mobility.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Maps aren't that big so it's not a big deal (for now I guess). Just don't rush your other guys too far ahead. I'd probably use some ranged guys with him and let Hector take some hits.

kswiston

You guys are getting way too worked up over minor variations in some stats. Skills and weapons are going to matter more than whether your character's strength is 2 less than someone else's at the max level. It is possible that a few of the whaliest special challenges will require perfect teams with perfect character stat distributions, but if you aren't heavily Pay-2-play, you were never beating those to begin with. 95%+ of the content will be beatable with regular stuff and non-perfect stat distributions.

Quonny

People pay attention to the story in gacha games?

Man, even games with 'good stories' like FFBE, GBF events, and KH:U I skip that shit as soon as I can.

duckroll

What this game desperately needs in terms of long term expansion is multi-stage maps. Sticking to the one screen map idea will kill the game real quick. There should be boss maps at least where you have to clear 2-3 consecutive battles with the same party, carrying death and damage across each one.

PK Gaming

What this game desperately needs in terms of long term expansion is multi-stage maps. Sticking to the one screen map idea will kill the game real quick. There should be boss maps at least where you have to clear 2-3 consecutive battles with the same party, carrying death and damage across each one.

Yeah, one of FE's staples is bosses and it's a little anticlimactic when the chapter's "main" antagonist goes down super quick

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
What's the green ✓ and red ! that sometimes show up on top of enemy units?

Those are like Super Effective and whatever the inverse of that is.

Bows for example wreck face on Flyers, or if you attack as an Armored unit into a unti with armor pierce that ! tells you its gonna go bad for you.

Kinsei

Banned

It means you should either attack (Green check) or get the fuck out of there (Red !). For example archers completely destroy flying units so if you are moving a flying unit a red I will appear on archers and if you're moving an archer a green check will appear on flying units.

Muffmuff

Neo Member
farming materials for uprgading 4* units into 5* units was also a pain in the a** at FF:BE launch period. Nowdays u have a ton of them, there will be 100% maps, modes and events to farm enough upgrading materials in FE:Heroes too

FC Bayern

Whats the difference between 5 stars and 5 stars "focus"?

Is that some way of making regular 5 star chars stronger? Cause I've got a Marth, Roy and that Archer dude at 5 stars and I can't seem to upgrade them in any form besides xp.

Also it's pretty shitty how you need matching rank and character to merge, should just be matching character, so you can feed the scrubby 2/3 stars into the 3/4 stars etc.

Does anyone think the prices are kind of unreasonable?

I mean, a full five character summon is 20 orbs, which is 17.99 CAD. That's a lot. Puts me off of even buying orbs at all.

Santiako

It means you should either attack (Green check) or get the fuck out of there (Red !). For example archers completely destroy flying units so if you are moving a flying unit a red I will appear on archers and if you're moving an archer a green check will appear on flying units.

Those are like Super Effective and whatever the inverse of that is.

Bows for example wreck face on Flyers, or if you attack as an Armored unit into a unti with armor pierce that ! tells you its gonna go bad for you.

Favorable/unfavorable type matchup beyond the color triangle. An archer will get green checkmarks on flyers. A flyer will see red !s on archers.

Strengths and vulnerabilities. Green means you are strong. Red means you are weak.

Thank you, that makes sense.

SalvaPot

Send your unwanted heroes home, you get rewarded with feathers. The rarer the hero, the more feathers you get.

This obviously hasn't been tested seriously but my impression, based on what I've seen and on my experience with the franchise, is that these maps are small enough and the number of units few enough that you can get by fine without a healer. In fact, I would guess that the meta will favor aggressive play and therefore strong offensive characters rather than tanks or healers.

Healers have great passive abilities and you can level up a lot if you are able to block the way with your strong attacker.

Weebos

Banned

The check means the unit you have selected is good against that unit. The exclamation point means the unit is weak against that unit.

For example, Lucina's Falchion is strong against Dragons. Bows are strong against Flying Units.

The hell? I'm out of "dueling swords"? How do I get these? Why did I only have 6 when there's 7 check marks to earn?

You get three new ones every day.

Man, even games with 'good stories' like FFBE, GBF events, and KH:U I skip that shit as soon as I can.

Hey, so far, the story is better than FE: Birthright.

/s

But nah, I like stories: it's my main draw for FFBE. I hope this is just the prologue to introduce us to popular worlds and there are mini-campaigns in those worlds. Imagine a mini version of FE1 or 2, even!

So I'm up to Chapter 7 in the story and I'm kinda lukewarm on the game as a whole. While the smaller maps and fewer units are nice because it keeps the gameplay at a bite-size level, the actual quality of that bite is kind of lacking. Maps being small means there's very little room for tactics to be used, It leads to brawls instantly. With only 4 slots for characters, there's not very much in the way of team-building. When you combine that with the fact that evasion and criticals aren't in the game, you're pretty much cornered into running counters or relying on high levels with good stat boosts to overcome taking damage and dealing damage to units with high defense and the like. It feels like units aren't good enough until they hit 5-star after awhile as well.

I'll probably continue playing for the time being and see how fast Feathers can be gathered since I got a 4-star Roy last night but I don't know how long my interest will last considering everything.
So far, this seems fair to my impressions but I'll need to play a bit more today before I give my own detailed thoughts.

I unreservedly agree about the lack of tactics though. So far there's no real thought to what you have to do. Even if the difficulty ramps, I feel like it'll be a matter of grinding more than developing intelligent tactics.

I enjoyed the story in GBF, at least the chunk I played. It seemed like even some of the events in that game had more thought to them than the main story of this game. I'm just surprised at how barebones it is. There should be something more there for people interested and other people like you who aren't interested should be able to skip it.

Are you new to mobile game gambling?

Yes. I played Pokemon Go and that's about it in terms of FTP on mobile. I thought Go had pretty fair pricing but it's a different type of game, obviously.

Not mobile, but I play a lot of overwatch and think their loot box pricing is pretty fair too.

Quonny

Does anyone think the prices are kind of unreasonable?

I mean, a full five character summon is 20 orbs, which is 17.99 CAD. That's a lot. Puts me off of even buying orbs at all.

Honestly, it's slightly cheaper than other gacha games.

That doesn't mean it's not a total rip.

Draxal

Tbh, I think Int Sys made a mistake giving out stamina and should have given out orbs today instead.

People are blaZing through mid game content too quickly right now and late game doesn't seem to be there yet.

I like the battle theme when facing Veronica.

Sounds like a good recuritment theme. Also, nice that they used "Together We Ride" for summons. It might be a remix, but the last two games had poor recruitment themes

duckroll

Yes. I played Pokemon Go and that's about it in terms of FTP on mobile. I thought Go had pretty fair pricing but it's a different type of game, obviously.

Not mobile, but I play a lot of overwatch and think their loot box pricing is pretty fair too.

Well, Overwatch was a full priced game to begin with, so yeah, it better be fair. Lol! :D

This sort of pricing for mobile gambling is totally normal. You're not expected to think it is cheap or a good deal. You're supposed to get desperate when you run out of secondary currency and if you're hooked on the game it starts with "just one time..." where you pay enough to complete the pull you want. Then once you're accustomed to paying, the game hopes that long time players who have disposable income or poor self control just start paying money regularly whenever they release new characters and have "rate up" banners/events. It's a jackpot machine.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Tbh, I think Int Sys made a mistake giving out stamina and should have given out orbs today instead.

People are blaZing through mid game content too quickly right now and late game doesn't seem to be there yet.

That's the case with 100% of gacha games, ever. They need time to come out with new content and end game stuff. If you take any mature gacha game and compare it to the game at release, the differences are ridiculous. These aren't the kind of games that you spend 4 hours on every day. There just isn't enough to do and there won't be for a long time.

KHlover

Banned
Yeah, one of FE's staples is bosses and it's a little anticlimactic when the chapter's "main" antagonist goes down super quick

Eh, that was basically how my recent playthrough of FE Fates Conquest went in the last few stages. Either my OP Corrin oneshot the bosses with magic or my Ophelia oneshotted them with Mjolnir. 40%-50% crit chance with 4x Damage Crit is nothing to sneeze at :p

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It'd fit what the game is doing right on. And actually encourage some tactics.

Draxal

That's the case with 100% of gacha games, ever. They need time to come out with new content and end game stuff. If you take any mature gacha game and compare it to the game at release, the differences are ridiculous. These aren't the kind of games that you spend 4 hours on every day. There just isn't enough to do and there won't be for a long time.

That was my point though, the stam refreshers are making people go through content alot faster than they otherwise would be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom