• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem if |Import OT| ~Should I Marry My Siblings Or Should I Kill Them?~

Sakura

This was in Awakening, yes. It wasn't as frequent as it was in older games, but it was certainly there.

Were there map weapons in Awakening?
ie an arbalest you or the enemy can use on some maps to do area damage far away?
Or what about traps/areas of maps that damage you?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
In the "special edition", is the third campain on a card or a DLC? And are Nohr / Hoshido both on a card?

Chrom

Were there map weapons in Awakening?
ie an arbalest you or the enemy can use on some maps to do area damage far away?
Or what about traps/areas of maps that damage you?

Yes, technically, but there was only one kind and it only started appearing near the end of the main story. It was a dark magic tome called Mire and it attacked 3-10 spaces away.

There was also damaging terrain, but it was practically non-existent as well. Off the top of my head I know that Chapter 18 takes place in a volcano where the tiles would eventually become hazards for everyone. One of the DLC chapters was also exactly like this and another was a little more dramatic in that parts of the map would always drain everyone down to 1 HP.

Chrom

In the "special edition", is the third campain on a card or a DLC? And are Nohr / Hoshido both on a card?

The special edition includes the two campaigns ready to start playing on one physical card, while the third campaign will become a free download to play through that same card beginning in July.

Yoshi

The special edition includes the two campaigns ready to start playing on one physical card, while the third campaign will become a free download to play through that same card beginning in July.

Too bad, I hope in Europe they will offer it with the third campain on the card. I'm fine with paying 100€ for one Fire Emblem game, but please, give it in complete physical form to me :/. I promise I won't complain about the fanservice stuff too much then ;).

Torraz

Nohr sounds more exciting, but would it be better to play Hoshido first, as it is easier / simpler scenarios and would feel like step back?

Tiktaalik

This fan service stuff that has pervaded the franchise should be embarrassing for Nintendo. Are they this desperate for money and attention?

I have no issues with sex and mature content, but fan service isn't that, it's a cheap gimmick.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This fan service stuff that has pervaded the franchise should be embarrassing for Nintendo. Are they this desperate for money and attention?

I have no issues with sex and mature content, but fan service isn't that, it's a cheap gimmick.

Well, maybe the fans of the "old" Fire Emblem who are always keep crying about the series' new direction should have done more to help the series on the past then, since it was about to get discontinued before Awakening making a turn-around.

Vylash

Well, maybe the fans of the "old" Fire Emblem who are always keep crying about the series' new direction should have done more to help the series on the past then, since it was about to get discontinued before Awakening making a turn-around.

"they should get rid of this fanservice crap!"

*the franchise would actually be dead without it*

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

*Shrugs*

It's the truth, whether you like it or not.

And as for me personally, it's getting tiresome to see that kind of post for every 5 seconds every time Fire Emblem is being discussed.

Sakura

Why would it be embarrassing for Nintendo?
There are far more fanservicey games than FE on the 3DS.
Iwata has played New Love Plus on Nintendo Direct. I really don't think they care.

Yoshi

*Shrugs*

And as for me personally, it's getting tiresome to see that kind of post for every 5 seconds every time Fire Emblem is being discussed.

I actually don't see any proof that the fanservice stuff is mainly responsible for the success of Fire Emblem Awakening. It would paint a very bleak picture of players though.

I love these claims that lack any actual substance to them, like the sole reason the game is going to do well is face rubbing. FE:A was definitely a bit more "anime" but the fanservice was nowhere near this level of in your face. Rather than do something smart to attract new players apparently any series that is struggling has to turn to gross over sexualized stuff because reasons.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I actually don't see any proof that the fanservice stuff is mainly responsible for the success of Fire Emblem Awakening. It would paint a very bleak picture of players though.

Oh I don't know. The series was pretty much confirmed to be dead before Awakening. Even Nintendo itself was not shying away from revealing that information, as can clearly be seen from Iwata Ask.

And sure, it may not be the "main reason", since even with all the Fanservice things Awakening still retains the characteristics of a quality video game; but that's just it, nowadays it seems like some fans are acting like everything that is good and worthy about Fire Emblem name has been eradicated because of fanservice--just look at how much space this kind of conversation has taken instead of actual discussion like My Town or story or the actual production of the game or the music or the tactical battles or any other various other refinements like new weapon triangle or the disappearance of weapon durability, etc etc etc.

No, all of that don't matter because now we have boobs and asses.

Tiktaalik

When even Nintendo of all companies is doubling down on this trend it's easy to see why traditional console based Japanese gaming is in a death spiral.

*Shrugs*

Just because they said it in an Iwata asks doesn't make it true.

I doubt FE would have been cancelled either way. It's not like they have many other big hits at Intelligent Systems.

edit
In a perfect world, I'd like to say the no permadeath option is responsible for the sales increase and not the weeaboo stuff, but I can't say I believe it.

Sakura

For sure.
But at the same time, sales have not suffered with the addition. Awakening was a success and I'm sure If will be a success too. So while there is no proof these additions are soley responsible, there is also no reason to remove that segment of the game.

Because they have to stoop to using tacky gimmicks to sell their product instead of their product standing on its own by its own merits.

I'm not really following you. They are additional features to add more stuff to do in the game for those that are interested. It is not necessary nor forced upon the player. These gimmicks on their own don't sell the game. They are just trying to reach a broader audience.

Tiktaalik

Sakura said:
I'm not really following you. They are additional features to add more stuff to do in the game for those that are interested. It is not necessary nor forced upon the player. These gimmicks on their own don't sell the game. They are just trying to reach a broader audience.

I don't think it's at all certain that they're broadening their audience with this move.

Sakura

I don't think it's at all certain that they're broadening their audience with this move.

Like I said. Sales have increased, not suffered, as they've added more 'fanservice' options. Are those the only reasons the series has seen more success? I doubt it. But there is no reason to remove them just because a small segment of the audience feels uncomfortable, when the games are doing better than they were before.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So like, to those of you who have played it, how's the story compared to Awakening? Are the characters good? The support conversation nice?

I was surprised they got the guy who wrote for Kindaichi to write this, so I am naturally curious (especially so since I read that Iwata Ask)

It's not the fans' fault that they released Path of Radiance on a dead console when the newly made fan base was on the GBA

It's not the fans' fault that Sacred Stones came out after the DS launch where people were moving on

It's not the fans' fault that Radiant Dawn came out the same month as Galaxy and Modern Warfare

It's not the fans' fault that Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem came out late into the DS life cycle when it was easy for anyone to pirate

Blaming the fans for the series failure over the last decade is ludicrous. I'd expect this kind of argument out a company Like capcom

Probably not, but the sales number will no doubt be inflated by people buying two(three) copies.

Nobody can buy a "third copy" as the third route is only planned to be available as a DLC. And I very much doubt many people will be buying a "second copy" when they can buy it as DLC for less than half the price.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's not the fans' fault that they released Path of Radiance on a dead console when the newly made fan base was on the GBA

It's not the fans' fault that Sacred Stones came out after the DS launch where people were moving on

It's not the fans' fault that Radiant Dawn came out the same month as Galaxy and Modern Warfare

It's not the fans' fault that Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem came out late into the DS life cycle when it was easy for anyone to pirate

Blaming the fans for the series failure over the last decade is ludicrous. I'd expect this kind of argument out a company Like capcom

Okay.

For some mysterious reason (since none of us cannot actually seem to agree what--maybe it was just released when all the planets are aligned or something like that), Awakening did revitalize the series, something that none of the titles before have managed to do (I guess for some mysterious reason as well, or maybe because it was the fault of piracy, DS, Galaxy, Modern Walfare, dead console) and I am thankful for that.

Oh, and I'd appreciate if someone can answer my question above ^

1. Wii was backwards compatible with GCN.

2. DS was backwards compatible with GBA

3. I guess they weren't real fans? Or supporting the franchise? Which was the point you're rebutting?

4. Blaming piracy? Real fans pirate? What's your point here?

Thank you.

Shows you just how much backwards compatability matters, contrary to the narrative that some like to write.

When people move on, they move on.

Okay.

For some mysterious reason (since none of as cannot actually seem to agree what--Maybe it was just released when all the planets are aligned or something like that), Awakening did revitalize the series, and I am thankful for that.

Oh, and I'd appreciate if someone can answer my question above ^
It is pretty simple why Awakening was successful besides the addition of fanservice. Released Early in the 3DS life cycle, quality of life additions, appealing art design, and lack of competition.

Sakura

So like, to those of you who have played it, how's the story compared to Awakening? Are the characters good? The support conversation nice?

I was surprised they got the guy who wrote for Kindaichi to write this, so I am naturally curious (especially so since I read that Iwata Ask)

Mmm I haven't finished it yet so I'm not sure how I will feel by the end, but I do enjoy the story so far.
I feel it benefits from having a more defined protagonist, with backstory, friends and foes, etc as opposed to the amnesic protagonist in Awakening.
Some of the stuff, like how children are handled, is kind of lazy. But because it's not really a part of the main story it doesn't bother me too much. The support convos seem alright for the most part.
I think the common route would benefit from being longer. It's 6 chapters long, but they are really short chapters. You don't really have much time to be introduced with the Hoshido side family before being asked to pick. Though I guess if you bought the physical copy you already chose beforehand and this scene doesn't matter as much.

I think it shows more about the fan base that some people are trying to make excuses for.
Not really, but whatever. It just tells us that it's hard to market games for an old console when the new console has replaced it. But go ahead, preach your stupid narrative about how bad the old Fire Emblem fanbase was.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It is pretty simple why Awakening was successful besides the addition of fanservice. Released Early in the 3DS life cycle, quality of life additions, appealing art design, and lack of competition.

Probably.

Mmm I haven't finished it yet so I'm not sure how I will feel by the end, but I do enjoy the story so far.
I feel it benefits from having a more defined protagonist, with backstory, friends and foes, etc as opposed to the amnesic protagonist in Awakening.
Some of the stuff, like how children are handled, is kind of lazy. But because it's not really a part of the main story it doesn't bother me too much. The support convos seem alright for the most part.
I think the common route would benefit from being longer. It's 6 chapters long, but they are really short chapters. You don't really have much time to be introduced with the Hoshido side family before being asked to pick. Though I guess if you bought the physical copy you already chose beforehand and this scene doesn't matter as much.

How many hours have you played? Which side?

Nevermind that DS wasn't doing too hot and SS was released in the DS's first year, where there wasn't much worth talking about during that period.

Scipio

Bullshit.

Awakening was a well marketed high budget strategy RPG for a handheld, something the market hadn't seen in a long time. Its succes is similar to the smash hit that FE7 was.

Your assumption that the anime tropy characters are the reason of its succes is imo wrong. It wasn't even marketed as such, unlike Fates.

3. I guess they weren't real fans? Or supporting the franchise? Which was the point you're rebutting?

4. Blaming piracy? Real fans pirate? What's your point here?
1. So what? What does that prove? That everyone who bought a Wii in 2006 and 2007 were going to seek out an an expensive GameCube game from 2005? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

2. It doesn't matter if no one knows the game exists to begin with. They were too late with the game in North America.

3. Do you understand that releasing a niche game in the middle of the launch of heavily advertised games is an incredibly stupid idea?

4. My point is that the DS was old and people moved on. Some fans stuck around but there aren't enough fans to convince new people to not pirate on a heavily pirated device.

Hmm I wonder how online battling will work with the two versions? Since the nohr can't grind from conventional means, will we have to resort to boss tile heal abuse. Also so glad shove is back.

But the logical truth is apparently too boring. Better to harp on about the fan service and "dumbed down" gameplay, and "old" and "new" fanbase for Fire Emblem!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bullshit.

Awakening was a well marketed high budget strategy RPG for a handheld, something the market hadn't seen in a long time. Its succes is similar to the smash hit that FE7 was.

Your assumption that the anime tropy characters are the reason of its succes is imo wrong. It wasn't even marketed as such, unlike Fates.

Well, regardless, none can deny it was a huge success. Many seem to lament that Awakening marked the moment where Fire Emblem tipped its toes (or probably just a full-bore dive) into the pool of fanservice, and lo and behold despite that it managed to do what any other games in the series before it failed to do and it even became the one thing that rescued the series from its demise. Clearly the fanservice didn't harm it. And well, apparently considering what we have right now with Fates, at least Nintendo/IS considers it as one of the factors why it was successful.

Anyways.... here we are, acting like everything that matters about Fire Emblem right now is its fanservice. Look at us, we're not even discussing story, its gameplay mechanics/improvement, or anything like that, like all of that simply don't matter anymore because now we have more boobs and asses... Well for me it's getting tiresome.

Also, for whatever its worth (not much), I too can be considered as an "old" fan of Fire Emblem.

About 20 hours. Nohr.

How's the difficulty?

xaszatm

Banned

I still think the new art style helped a lot. I still think that Awakening had a significant female fanbase because of the art and husbandos and that helped push the series into a smash hit. I don't know. I still don't think the fanservice is distracting because (asides from Carmilla) it's pretty avoidable. I don't have to touch a single face in the game and the game doesn't throw it at me (asides, once again, from the after mentioned Carmilla scene).

Then again, I'm just enjoying that this Fire Emblem is actually a decent challenge in Nohr and never gave a crap about the story in the first place.

Sakura

How's the difficulty?

I'm playing with perma death off, so it's not too bad. Certainly provides a challenge though. Enemies seem rather smart about picking off units. If I had permadeath on I would be having a lot harder of a time for sure. Sometimes the conditions make you want to finish a map faster/move around the map faster, but that often results in you losing units.

Oddish1

Typically, when a series is in decline and then has an entry with unprecedented critical and commercial success, you then capitalize on it. Those are just excuses, the series was in trouble and needed a broader audience than just preexisting Fire Emblem fans, and Fire Emblem Awakening gave it just that. Maybe a previous game could have, but it didn't.

Typically, when a series is in decline and then has an entry with unprecedented critical and commercial success, you then capitalize on it.
That is absolutely true. They failed to do that after Rekka no ken. Repeatedly.

Those aren't just excuses, that is the reality of the series for the last decade. To point the blame for the failure of the series on the fans is ridiculous by all accounts. The success and failure of this series is on Nintendo and it always will be.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm playing with perma death off, so it's not too bad. Certainly provides a challenge though. Enemies seem rather smart about picking off units. If I had permadeath on I would be having a lot harder of a time for sure. Sometimes the conditions make you want to finish a map faster/move around the map faster, but that often results in you losing units.

How about the victory objectives? Good stuff mixed in besides kill-them-all? Sorry if I am asking too much, hahaha, I am still deliberating which version later on that I will buy and it seems the best to ask someone who already gets a direct hands-on on the experience.

Typically, when a series is in decline and then has an entry with unprecedented critical and commercial success, you then capitalize on it. Those are just excuses, the series was in trouble and needed a broader audience than just preexisting Fire Emblem fans, and Fire Emblem Awakening gave it just that. Maybe a previous game could have, but it didn't.

You. my friend, is good at making to-the-point stuff.

Sakura

How about the victory objectives? Good stuff mixed in besides kill-them-all? Sorry if I am asking too much, hahaha, I am still deliberating which version later on that I will buy and it seems the best to ask someone who already gets a direct hands-on on the experience.

I'd say about half so far have been kill all, and the other half have been other kinds.
Then regardless of objective you have some maps that have to be finished in under X amount of turns. I remember one map I didn't read the objectives properly and then suddenly when I was about to fight the officer I needed to kill I got a game over.
The maps themselves are pretty good too. Some are rather basic, but then you have ones with stairs that lead to different rooms, or destructible objects that can affect things, or parts of the map you can alter with your dragonborn magic.
I assume some of that stuff will be in the Hoshido route as well.

xaszatm

Banned

Those aren't just excuses, that is the reality of the series for the last decade. To point the blame for the failure of the series on the fans is ridiculous by all accounts. The success and failure of this series is on Nintendo and it always will be.

Well good news then because by all accounts it seems this game sold well in Japan. Hopefully it keeps the better elements in this game. I'm actually more curious in seeing which game sold better. THAT would give a better idea at what the fans want.

jzbluz

I assume that things like gay marriage, better map objectives (at least for Nohr), and IS hiring an actual writer was due to fan feedback. Therefore if enough fans are too uncomfortable with all the fanservice, then IS will probably tone it down for the next FE.

Honestly, I like fanservice, especially when it's equal opportunity fanservice, but I have admit that I'm a bit uncomfortable with some of the fanservice because I feel it's too much and too soon. However, I will adapt as long as FE is still fun for me to play, and I feel sorry for the fans who can't.

Rekka no Ken couldn't have been that successful. If I remember correctly, in Japan the older games sold better and the worldwide sales weren't enough to make it a million seller.

Top Bottom