• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem if |Import OT| ~Should I Marry My Siblings Or Should I Kill Them?~

Well, FE:If will be mirroring this situation, but on a lower install base, so let's see how sales compare ;)
I am curious how well it will do in the west. It does having being late going against it. But it doesn't have piracy, The ugly art style of shadow dragon, or the failure of the console titles dragging it down

Sakura

I am curious how well it will do in the west. It does having being late going against it. But it doesn't have piracy, The ugly art style of shadow dragon, or the failure of the console titles dragging it down
Piracy is pretty easy on the 3DS currently, and should be even easier when the game comes out in 2016.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well good news then because by all accounts it seems this game sold well in Japan. Hopefully it keeps the better elements in this game. I'm actually more curious in seeing which game sold better. THAT would give a better idea at what the fans want.
Anecdotal evidence, but there are less copies of Nohr left in one of the biggest electronic stores in Ikebukuro.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It does have the success of Fire Emblem Awakening before it. Since this game is largely the same style with it, it is interesting to see how it'll fare.

xaszatm

Banned
I assume that things like gay marriage, better map objectives (at least for Nohr), and IS hiring an actual writer was due to fan feedback. Therefore if enough fans are too uncomfortable with all the fanservice, then IS will probably tone it down for the next FE.

Honestly, I like fanservice, especially when it's equal opportunity fanservice, but I have admit that I'm a bit uncomfortable with some of the fanservice because I feel it's too much and too soon. However, I will adapt as long as FE is still fun for me to play, and I feel sorry for the fans who can't.

Still says Joker's cut line is the best.

Out there I may be a butler to you. But here, I want to make a mess out of you!

Love it.

Piracy is pretty easy on the 3DS currently, and should be even easier when the game comes out in 2016.

Not as easy as it was with the DS but we will see

Well good news then because by all accounts it seems this game sold well in Japan. Hopefully it keeps the better elements in this game. I'm actually more curious in seeing which game sold better. THAT would give a better idea at what the fans want.
In Japan Hoshido is going to win for pretty obvious reasons. The west, Nohr might win based simply off if the cover is black. It's a real eye catcher and part of the reason why Pokemon Black sold more than white irrc

Though maybe the Japanese armour design will appeal to people more

Shun

This thread isn't a place to discuss how the series have failed or how it has revitalized.This thread is for on topic discussion of the game's contents and member's reactions and thoughts about the game on it's own and in comparison to the rest of the franchise. Stop diluting the OT with this argument and move it to the community thread.

Anyway, my copy arrived late today and 16 pages later, I think I'm going to start on Lunatic with the "worse" side Byakuya before going into Anya.

Looking forward to making time and finally being able to post my reactions to this game.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This thread isn't a place to discuss how the series have failed or how it has revitalized.This thread is for on topic discussion of the game's contents and member's reactions and thoughts about the game on it's own and in comparison to the rest of the franchise. Stop diluting the OT with this argument and move it to the community thread.
Thank god, this should go in the OP as well.

Interested in if lunatic is handled differently this time (even if it's just the byakuya version), since I wasn't a fan of the primary enemy AI strategy in awakening being simply just to have all units and reinforcements immediately rush you all at once.

StayDead

As much as I love the fact (Chapter 8/9 of Anya)
The get to x villagers before the enemy and get a big bonus is back, god damn I find it frustrating as hell haha.

xaszatm

Banned
I still say the real reason why we get incest marriage was because the world would riot if they couldn't get to marry Leon and have his adorable kid. :p

Also, as you can tell, I'm completely enjoying Nohr. :p

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
This pic made me laugh.

It's all the characters on this game from all sides so those sensitive to spoiler like that, beware.

I miss the toilet knights a bit. That
Arthur
fella looks like the closest thing we get to Awakening's porcelain throne aesthetic.

Keep the dream alive, smiley blond dude. Keep the dream alive.

Anyway, my copy arrived late today and 16 pages later, I think I'm going to start on Lunatic with the "worse" side Byakuya before going into Anya.

Looking forward to making time and finally being able to post my reactions to this game.

Looking forward to your reactions too. I want to know how challenging Hoshido can be even though it's the "easy mode".

Thank god, this should go in the OP as well.

Interested in if lunatic is handled differently this time (even if it's just the byakuya version), since I wasn't a fan of the primary enemy AI strategy in awakening being simply just to have all units and reinforcements immediately rush you all at once.

How so ? Is that true that the reinforcements attack the turn after they appear ?

StayDead

How so ? Is that true that the reinforcements attack the turn after they appear ?

If they do that's insane. IIRC that sort of thing harkens back to the summoner enemies in Gaiden and that made the game 10 times harder than it needed to be. Especially considering the amount of enemies they summoned was completely random and decided when you pressed end turn. I had to basically save scum every turrn in that game to get anywhere near completing the game. (I still haven't, I'm so close though).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
For those who are playing this game already: Can you sucessfully play through the game without
* doing any simulation type stuff (building houses, positioning houses)
* doing any fanservicey stuff (going to a bath, rubbing faces)
* grinding
If the answer is no, can you at least sucessfully play through the game without doing any simulation type stuff? Because this is absolutely the worst for me. I'd prefer all charactters to always be nude, have enormous breats and have orgies in between gameplay over having to do any simulation kind of stuff (and no, I'm not a fan of the fanservice stuff, but this is just story / presentation, not gameplay, so ultimately superficial).

Sallokin

I was lucky enough to grab a preorder for the SE on Amazon.jp so I figured I'd share some pics of the box and stuff.

IzOK1nM.jpg
The cover plates didn't come with the SE, they just released on the same day. The stickers and mouse pad were amazon bonuses.

Art book in the back. Bet you can't guess what the back cover image looks like... It's got some nice stuff in it, but it's your basic SE type. Not a lot of pages and most of it is key art you've seen a hundred times already. Nothing too crazy. I'm sure the amazing stuff is being held back for an official art book. Not a great shot of TCG cards that came with it, but yeah there they are. The double sided cover is how they handled including both versions of the game in the box but it only comes with one cart. I haven't had a chance to play the game yet. My guess is that only one version of the game is included and the other is downloadable for free. Also, not having sprite art on the cart this time is lammmeeeeee.

Reverse cover art for the game and a signature page from the book (should be ok to post that right?)

Sakura

For those who are playing this game already: Can you sucessfully play through the game without
* doing any simulation type stuff (building houses, positioning houses)
* doing any fanservicey stuff (going to a bath, rubbing faces)
* grinding
If the answer is no, can you at least sucessfully play through the game without doing any simulation type stuff? Because this is absolutely the worst for me. I'd prefer all charactters to always be nude, have enormous breats and have orgies in between gameplay over having to do any simulation kind of stuff (and no, I'm not a fan of the fanservice stuff, but this is just story / presentation, not gameplay, so ultimately superficial).
What do you mean by building houses?
You buy your weapons and stuff by building the appropriate buildings.
I mean, you don't have to if you really don't want to, but I assume you want weapons and items...
Positioning doesn't matter.
In case you are confused, building the buildings is very easy and requires pretty much nothing. Don't worry about it.

All the fanservice stuff is entirely optional. The bath house doesn't even do anything, doesn't raise bond points etc. There is no benefit to using it.

Grinding is optional too. In fact, for the Nohr campaign, you can't even grind if you want to.

Anyone playing on Lunatic difficulty for Nohr's campaign?

If so, then is it too difficult that grinding or DLC maps become compulsory (if there's such a thing)? I experienced that in Awakening, sadly.

Ohnonono

So how different of an experience is it between the two factions? I like the Nohr characters more but am a little scared of the "hard mode" tag.

Chaos17

I was lucky enough to grab a preorder for the SE on Amazon.com so I figured I'd share some pics of the box and stuff.

The cover plates didn't come with the SE, they just released on the same day. The stickers and mouse pad were amazon bonuses.

Art book in the back. Bet you can't guess what the back cover image looks like... It's got some nice stuff in it, but it's your basic SE type. Not a lot of pages and most of it is key art you've seen a hundred times already. Nothing too crazy. I'm sure the amazing stuff is being held back for an official art book. Not a great shot of TCG cards that came with it, but yeah there they are. The double sided cover is how they handled including both versions of the game in the box but it only comes with one cart. I haven't had a chance to play the game yet. My guess is that only one version of the game is included and the other is downloadable for free. Also, not having sprite art on the cart this time is lammmeeeeee.

Reverse cover art for the game and a signature page from the book (should be ok to post that right?)

WoW, I'm so jealous *_*

Gotta be honest I actually really like a lot of those character designs.

Which actually makes me saltier that the difficulty is tied to what faction you pick. Is the only big difference for difficulty the lack of grinding? Cuz I could easily just ignore the grinding.

Draxal

Which actually makes me saltier that the difficulty is tied to what faction you pick. Is the only big difference for difficulty the lack of grinding? Cuz I could easily just ignore the grinding.

Nah, Hoshido is really easy in map design/objectives.

NexusCell

Nohr has more varied objectives, more enemies, and more complex maps.

Draxal

Bullshit.

Awakening was a well marketed high budget strategy RPG for a handheld, something the market hadn't seen in a long time. Its succes is similar to the smash hit that FE7 was.

Your assumption that the anime tropy characters are the reason of its succes is imo wrong. It wasn't even marketed as such, unlike Fates.

Awakening was a much bigger smash hit than Rekka no Ken, it sold almost twice the numbers. (It's up to 1.8 million now according to recent announcements by Nintendo).

I wouldn't be surprised if the sell through favored certain dlc (summer scramble) hence leading us down the path we went. They just didn't do that on a whim.

Is it true enemy reinforcements don't attack on the same turn they show up any more?

They didn't do it on hard (while they did do it on Awakening hard) not sure about lunatic.

Altima

I like the idea of this two faction thing. To see the story in two different perspectives is very interesting but having to buy both version separately is something else. I do not like this kind of practice but I do not want to judge it without any information.

I would like to know about gameplay and story in this game.

Is the gameplay better than Fire Emblem : Awakening ? It looks quite the same but I think they might change something to make it better.

Are the stories good for both versions of the game ?

Does the single game worth 5000 yen ?

It's not the fans' fault that they released Path of Radiance on a dead console when the newly made fan base was on the GBA

It's not the fans' fault that Sacred Stones came out after the DS launch where people were moving on

It's not the fans' fault that Radiant Dawn came out the same month as Galaxy and Modern Warfare

It's not the fans' fault that Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem came out late into the DS life cycle when it was easy for anyone to pirate

Blaming the fans for the series failure over the last decade is ludicrous. I'd expect this kind of argument out a company Like capcom
THANK YOU.

Nah, Hoshido is really easy in map design/objectives.

See I just don't get why they'd do that cuz I vastly prefer the Hoshido as a closet weaboo nerd.

I mean uh, what I'm trying to say is difficulty being tied to narrative should be a little more immediate and easy to understand. Like, if anything choosing the bad guy option should be the easier choice, at least at first. Basically imo it would be kinda interesting if the Nohr were way easier at first but as your given narrative choices you can decide if you really are willing to go for something easier even at the cost of your morality. On the flipside, the Hoshido would be harder at the start but your once again given hard choices, things where you'd genuinely want something to make your life easier but can put you in a more ethically grey area, affecting how some troops see you etc.

But idunno that's just me.

Set aside the fan service stuff for awhile, what could have made FE:A such a huge hit? How about exceptional design, high budget production values, loads of content, and being one of the first high profile releases in its genre in years.

FE took off as a handheld franchise in the US and it never really found success on the GC/Wii. After that we got a shitty looking remake of the first game that was quite frankly bad relative to something like FE7.

Enter FE:A. I'm sure the marriage elements and waifu wars helped sell some copies through word of mouth but I don't think for a second that's the sole (or even primary) reason for its success. FE:A is a damn good game that actually got some marketing push for once and it came out on a hot platform desperately wanting for some quality RPG's/SRPG's. And people bought it. Imagine that.

Enjoying Hoshido a lot. I'm at chapter 10 and the campaign is leaps and bounds better than Awakening IMO. Just a more compelling setup, and the writing is overall much stronger. The game benefits from having an actual protagonist (despite their looks being customizable) with a history and past with these characters.

The music is also incredible btw.

That said, Hoshido is clearly the more traditional type of story between the two versions. Fighting the 'evil' invading forces, etc.

But it's still VERY early, so.

Sakura

See I just don't get why they'd do that cuz I vastly prefer the Hoshido as a closet weaboo nerd.

I mean uh, what I'm trying to say is difficulty being tied to narrative should be a little more immediate and easy to understand. Like, if anything choosing the bad guy option should be the easier choice, at least at first. Basically imo it would be kinda interesting if the Nohr were way easier at first but as your given narrative choices you can decide if you really are willing to go for something easier even at the cost of your morality. On the flipside, the Hoshido would be harder at the start but your once again given hard choices, things where you'd genuinely want something to make your life easier but can put you in a more ethically grey area, affecting how some troops see you etc.

Hoshido will probably be the more popular game, so they likely wanted to make it more accessible. Nohr being the aggressors isn't really relevant in the story in terms of 'it should be easier'.
It's not like you are limited to the one game anyway. Play Hoshido first on hard or something, then play Nohr after. It's 2 games worth of content pretty much and the second route only costs half price.
Either way, if you enjoyed Awakening at all, the Hoshido campaign is still supposed to be better than that from what I hear even if it is easier than Nohr, so you shouldn't have any problem enjoying it.

Draxal

Hoshido will probably be the more popular game, so they likely wanted to make it more accessible. Nohr being the aggressors isn't really relevant in the story in terms of 'it should be easier'.
It's not like you are limited to the one game anyway. Play Hoshido first on hard or something, then play Nohr after. It's 2 games worth of content pretty much and the second route only costs half price.
Either way, if you enjoyed Awakening at all, the Hoshido campaign is still supposed to be better than that from what I hear even if it is easier than Nohr, so you shouldn't have any problem enjoying it.

From what I've played (not much story bits since i can't read moon language); the maps are nicer, but Awakening hard is harder than this. The maps do have more to them with the dragon veins, but there's nothing close as difficult as Awakening's chapter with Ricken/Maribelle on hard (forgot what chapater that was). Hopefully, it will start ramping up soon.

Music is really nice so far as well.

I just want to note that's im only up to chapter 10 hoshido, hard, but I saw the Nohr chapter 10 map and that was much more involving that the equivalent Hoshido one.

Chaos17

It's not the fans' fault that they released Path of Radiance on a dead console when the newly made fan base was on the GBA

It's not the fans' fault that Sacred Stones came out after the DS launch where people were moving on

It's not the fans' fault that Radiant Dawn came out the same month as Galaxy and Modern Warfare

It's not the fans' fault that Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem came out late into the DS life cycle when it was easy for anyone to pirate

Blaming the fans for the series failure over the last decade is ludicrous. I'd expect this kind of argument out a company Like capcom

Most of the Nintendo consoles have retro-compatibility.
You've no excuse about that.

Choosing an another game over another one, who the heck it is not costumer fault here ?! Who made the choice, santa ?!

The fans deseterted little by little the franchise that's a fact because they're were not enough enough to sustain it which is why Awekening was going to be the last but thank the heaven Nintendo tried some new stuffs for their farewell game! Now the franchise have new customers and let's hope Fire emblem will continue to live on.

From what I've played (not much story bits since i can't read moon language); the maps are nicer, but Awakening hard is harder than this. The maps do have more to them with the dragon veins, but there's nothing close as difficult as Awakening's chapter with Ricken/Maribelle on hard (forgot what chapater that was). Hopefully, it will start ramping up soon.

Music is really nice so far as well.

I just want to note that's im only up to chapter 10 hoshido, hard, but I saw the Nohr chapter 10 map and that was much more involving that the equivalent Hoshido one.
Loving your impressions so far. I greatly enjoyed the map design in FE:A so if it's even a minor step up in that department I'll be thrilled.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem-fates/0/3

Hitoshi Yamagami said:
Hatano-san (Shinji Hatano: Formerly Nintendo's senior managing director and head of the sales department), who was working as the head of the sales department, he said "The Emblem series isn't making the numbers, so this is going to be the last one." And the members said "This is going to be the last one, so let's put in everything we want so we don't have any regrets." Then we had a big list of different things, "I want to do this" and "I wanna do this," and the result was Awakening.

People are seriously arguing that Awakening didn't save the franchise when it was supposed to be that last installment of the series? And how it was a surprise hit overseas? Blame whoever you want: producers, developers, fans, or even Nintendo itself. It still doesn't change the fact that the series was going to be canned and that huge amount of sales from FE:A allowed them to continue making FE:if.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem-fates/0/3

People are seriously arguing that Awakening didn't save the franchise when it was supposed to be that last installment of the series? And how it was a surprise hit overseas? Blame whoever you want: producers, developers, fans, or even Nintendo itself. It still doesn't change the fact that the series was going to be canned and that surprising amount of sales from FE:A allowed them to make FE:if.

I really don't think I saw many people arguing whether or not it saved the series, more WHY it saved the series and why the series was going so poorly to begin with.

I do think Casual Mode was one of those factors, given the stigma of permadeath that was perpetrated even by the fans themselves.

Art style helped, although it's no surprise when your last game looks genuinely awful from an art style standpoint.

Marriage stuff didn't seem to hurt it, although I wonder if the same is true for Fates (in America).

I do think Casual Mode was one of those factors, given the stigma of permadeath that was perpetrated even by the fans themselves.

Art style helped, although it's no surprise when your last game looks genuinely awful from an art style standpoint.

Marriage stuff didn't seem to hurt it, although I wonder if the same is true for Fates (in America).

Casual mode was a thing before Awakening though (albeit in a Japan only game)

Casual mode was a thing before Awakening though (albeit in a Japan only game)

a Japan only game with an absolutely terrible artstyle

something that people don't consider is that Awakening has a higher level of graphical presentation relative to the system it is on compared to every other game before it

a Japan only game with an absolutely terrible artstyle

something that people don't consider is that Awakening has a higher level of graphical presentation relative to the system it is on compared to every other game before it

Yeah pretty much. Between that, the cgi cutscenes which helped marketing a lot, a decent push marketing wise, being on a new system with relatively few games, FE:A's success didn't really shock me.

I'm expecting IF to do well, I think FE:A brought in a lot of new fans, I'm curious how loyal they'll be over time.

Top Bottom