• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Pro Wrestling World [OT] Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

And there's already a cool Zoya on the Workshop!

zoya85sy0.jpg
I'm going to need a link to this.

Dina

I enjoy the game, but I've never been great at games that require you to 'find your own fun' (like Just Cause) in a sandbox environment.

Seems like in Fire Pro, some of that comes from Simming your own matches, fight nights, leagues or federations. Because that would mean having a seperate spreadsheet available where you track wrestlers across multiple nights. The game itself is pretty barebones in the fight night/league/fed department. Am I missing something here?

Hasney

I enjoy the game, but I've never been great at games that require you to 'find your own fun' (like Just Cause) in a sandbox environment.

Seems like in Fire Pro, some of that comes from Simming your own matches, fight nights, leagues or federations. Because that would mean having a seperate spreadsheet available where you track wrestlers across multiple nights. The game itself is pretty barebones in the fight night/league/fed department. Am I missing something here?

You can do leagues and tournaments from within the game. I don't feel the need to do feds because the match engine is so fun that I can just play matches.

I'm the same. My own personal aim is to try and build wrestlers that can (sim) beat increasingly difficult AI wrestlers and/or a friend's creation (both with a fixed number of stat points)

That would be incredible. I'd also love if Fire Pro were so successful for Spike that we somehow end up getting a King of Colosseum III, too.

Hey Squeenix, feel free to join the puro gaming return train with All-Star Pro Wrestling IV, plzkthxbai.

Bruhhhhhhhh

If we could get KoC3, that would be incredible.

I'm struggling with the Mission where you have to win with a top rope move to the outside. What's the easiest way to get my opponent out of ring. Also, do you have to roll them back in and pin them right after the move or any time later in the match?

This is my controller settings:

vZozMwF.jpg

MYeager

I'm struggling with the Mission where you have to win with a top rope move to the outside. What's the easiest way to get my opponent out of ring. Also, do you have to roll them back in and pin them right after the move or any time later in the match?

vZozMwF.jpg

Stating near the ropes after grappling with your back to the ropes press the direction of the ropes + run button to irish whip your opponent to the outside. If they're weak they'll stand up dazed giving to time to pull it off.

You need only to do the move and anytime later win.

wait, you can create a wrestler, "program" it, and let it fight another created wrestler from someone else and see who wins?

Yes, in fact that's part of the fun of the game is creating a wrestler and then setting the logic so they perform like that wrestler. Then you can sim a match against someone else online where you just observe the result.

I have a dumb newbie question; is there any way to do mid match interruptions, swerves and other WWE style shenanigans?

No. Though there was a Japanese GBA Fire Pro which allowed you to run your own promotion, which included managing contracts and merchandise, but didn't have many story elements to it at all.

vZozMwF.jpg

Doesn't that mission just say high-flying? Not necessarily top rope. Run toward the ropes and hold BIG, you'll dive out, it's pretty precise to line up so it might take a few tries. Also, remember that BIG grapples make the enemy get up stunned once they're wore down. So you probably have time to do one outside, run back in, then hit a diving outside move(toward ropes + BIG when close to them). Another good setup is to throw your opponent into the ropes and run after them, hit a running attack when you're both near the ropes and it can knock them over the top rope to the outside, more often than not they will get up stunned on the outside from this. Leaving you in the ring to either hit a diving attack next to the ropes or line up a running diving attack.

As long as you hit one of those, you can pin at any point.

MYeager

Doesn't that mission just say high-flying? Not necessarily top rope. Run toward the ropes and hold BIG, you'll dive out, it's pretty precise to line up so it might take a few tries. Also, remember that BIG grapples make the enemy get up stunned once they're wore down. So you probably have time to do one outside, run back in, then hit a diving outside move(toward ropes + BIG when close to them). Another good setup is to throw your opponent into the ropes and run after them, hit a running attack when you're both near the ropes and it can knock them over the top rope to the outside, more often than not they will get up stunned on the outside from this. Leaving you in the ring to either hit a diving attack next to the ropes or line up a running diving attack.

As long as you hit one of those, you can pin at any point.

You can also press towards the ropes and BIG to do an asai moonsault or diving body press, it doesn't have to be a running move.

sibarraz

Banned
Some improvements that I will love to see.

- Resolution Configuration
- Improved Netcode. Yesterday I played with a friend, we lose connection, and the match continued against the cpu without any kind of option to rejoin the match. I doubt that the later is impossible, but is weird that I could never finish a match.
- Better options to manage the CAWS
- Better menus, it really looks very cheap.
- That graphic when 2 wrestlers were about to fight that appeared on Returns.

Besides these changes, I'm glad with the released product, doesn't really feels like an early access game at all

Call me a jerk but, isn't a game with these kinda visuals and presentation going to be a tough sell on PSN/XBL? It seems super popular, surely some higher production values would pay for themselves. I mean, I love the game but I can imagine many turning their nose up at it from the visuals alone.

Hasney

Call me a jerk but, isn't a game with these kinda visuals and presentation going to be a tough sell on PSN/XBL? It seems super popular, surely some higher production values would pay for themselves. I mean, I love the game but I can imagine many turning their nose up at it from the visuals alone.

Jerk.

But yeah, that's always going to be the hurdle for a Fire Pro game, but I'm glad they stuck to their guns.

Higher production values wouldn't pay for themselves. You forget just how niche an unlicensed wrestling game is.

Sure, like nobody is playing Stardew Valley on console cause it looks so low budget, right?

It's more likely that it doesn't sell that good cause how different it plays than how different it look.

JambiBum

Anyone know of good creators to follow on the workshop? I've managed to find good caws on my own but I'd like to be able to follow the creators that actually upload complete wrestlers with logic instead of just half finished stuff.

SMG

If this makes enough of an impact they might look to invest more into a follow up. But the time and cost of re-doing all the art and animation would have sunk this in the pitch phase.

hamsjams

In regards to graphics, there was an interview with the director linked in this thread (I think). He explained that a certain level of cartooniness and abstraction in the visuals is necessary to maintain believability in the mechanics and avoid potential licensing issues.

He also said that the team actually had 3d prototypes but that the mechanics no longer felt quite right and the geometry of the ring and camera angle was getting warped. I imagine the prototypes felt like a poorer version of an AKI engine game, which I wouldn't necessarily have minded, but they would have probably needed to make big mechanical changes before the prototypes felt as good as a real AKI game or the current 2D Fire Pro.

I'm pretty happy with their decisions. It looks very unique and had I never heard of Fire Pro I know for sure that uniqueness would have attracted my attention.

I am going to cave and get this on steam. Can anybody tell me if the steam controller will work for this or is there a better option? I only have mouse and keyboard currently.

beanman25

I am going to cave and get this on steam. Can anybody tell me if the steam controller will work for this or is there a better option? I only have mouse and keyboard currently.

steam controller works great! It's what I've been playing with

simming a landmine deathmatch tournament, and terry funk squashed the heck out of money mayweather, haha.

To say something bad about the game, after so much praise:

I hope the AI and logic works better now after the patch, couldn't test it yet, I simmed a tournament 2 days ago and while 1 or 2 matches were pretty cool, most of them were awful, nobody pinned anyone after a finisher cause it's bugged, almost everyone does their finisher 6-8 times out of the blue and most matches where done after only 4-6 ingame minutes. And yes CPU was on level 10.

It's really hit & miss so far and unfortunately, I didn't really got the "OMG another 2.9 very close kickout, this match is amazing" feeling yet.

Oh and Over the Top rope Battle Royal is garbage, hope they change that very soon. You get eliminated when you fall out under the ropes which is stupid when the match is called OVER the top rope and there is pinfall which you can't turn off.

What the actual fuck.

Gurrry

I tried setting up a Royal Rumble last night and couldnt figure it out. Over the ropes was on, but 3 count could not be deactivated. Also - throwing them over the rope didnt eliminate them.

Anyone know what im doing wrong? Or is it just impossible right now?

Gurrry

I really hope they add in some type if Universe mode. Having to keep up with stuff using an excel sheet is a downer.

Any chance they would add something like that? Something that makes it easier to book and play shows out?

OR does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle something like this?

Hasney

I really hope they add in some type if Universe mode. Having to keep up with stuff using an excel sheet is a downer.

Any chance they would add something like that? Something that makes it easier to book and play shows out?

OR does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle something like this?

They've done single player stuff before, but nothing that extreme. Spreadsheet probably is the way to go.

One thing I've seen totally crazy hardcore people do is play the booking game EWR and then play the booked matches out in Fire Pro and book the winner based on that match.

They've done single player stuff before, but nothing that extreme. Spreadsheet probably is the way to go.

One thing I've seen totally crazy hardcore people do is play the booking game EWR and then play the booked matches out in Fire Pro and book the winner based on that match.

wow

that is too much for me haha

but it does make it easier since you are on pc

Gurrry

Ive never heard of EWR. Care to link it?

I have some limited programming knowledge, and was trying to think of a small app I could make that we could use in the meantime. I think it would be a lot easier than dealing with spreadsheets.

However, im having a little trouble thinking of a starting point.

Foffy

Banned
To say something bad about the game, after so much praise:

I hope the AI and logic works better now after the patch, couldn't test it yet, I simmed a tournament 2 days ago and while 1 or 2 matches were pretty cool, most of them were awful, nobody pinned anyone after a finisher cause it's bugged, almost everyone does their finisher 6-8 times out of the blue and most matches where done after only 4-6 ingame minutes. And yes CPU was on level 10.

It's really hit & miss so far and unfortunately, I didn't really got the "OMG another 2.9 very close kickout, this match is amazing" feeling yet.

Oh and Over the Top rope Battle Royal is garbage, hope they change that very soon. You get eliminated when you fall out under the ropes which is stupid when the match is called OVER the top rope and there is pinfall which you can't turn off.

What the actual fuck.

Did you redownload some of the Edits? You need to do this in order to fix them, I think.

enewtabie

I need to buy this game today. Can you make arenas like Full Sail?

I used to keep a notebook in the N64 days and book everything out over a few months. Had a top ten and wins and losses did matter.

Top Bottom