• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look: CW's Supergirl & Superman Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

CokDh1hXEAEwNt2.jpg

Idk, that looks pretty great. Better than Supergirl IMO.

My only two problems with the suit: the belt is too high, it needs to rest (or angle) a bit lower. Makes his torso look a bit stunted. Also, I don't like those red shoulder pads that cover the cape - they make his shoulders look less broad.

Then again maybe it's just the angle or the pose, he could look perfectly fine in motion.

xaosslug

Wait, doesn't he refer to him as "the big guy" in season 1? He always refers to him being larger than life in his talks with Kara and the dude is like 5'6.

Edit: Apparently he's 6'0 and Mehcad is 6'3. I don't believe this.

he's 'Hollywood' 6'0", and more than likely 5'10" or something.

here he is w/ Colton Haynes 5'9" & Tyler Posey 5'10"... I mean >.>

XlY90w2.jpg

Maybe it's because I used to imagine a Cavill-like Superman in this universe, but Hoechlin always seemed pretty built to me, but man, he looks slim as fuck in those set pictures.

SpaceWolf

Banned

I love how the costume department on these films must have spent weeks laboriously selecting the right colour palette for Superman's costume, only for all that work to be instantly undone on account of Snyder's ongoing obsession with smearing all his films with grimy, overly darkened filters.

Glass

Best one so far.

No way that ass is all him. It just shows how terrible the cut and fitting is on the suit. Throw in the over complicated boots, the awful belt and shitty cape attachment which combined sadly drag down the great 'S' shield and colour.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
But wait! Colour can be good! And smiling! Superman can be fun! He can be-

Oh. Yes.

Darkness.

You deconstruct that icon, Mr Snyder.

You deconstruct him good.

No it can't!

Keep going Zack, we're
I'm
proud of you!

587cfd790d7a0b109f9dc42b4b557763.jpg

SpaceWolf

Banned
Ahh, I can't stand the no pants look! They need to bring back the red underwear!

Yeah, I hate the fact that Superman is apparently forbidden wearing his iconic red trunks now. He just looks wrong without them, somehow.

At least the artists at DC Comics are finding new ways around the problem...

SM_Cv2_ds-e1467816618951.jpg

Elginer

Terrible cut on that suit honestly. He's a cutie but he's no beast like Henry. Henry looks like he could actually pick up a fucking building. Dude is jacked.

cr0w

Old Member
Yeah, I hate the fact that Superman is apparently forbidden wearing his iconic red trunks now. He just looks wrong without them, somehow.

At least the artists at DC Comics are finding new ways around the problem...

SM_Cv2_ds-e1467816618951.jpg

From what I heard way back when the Siegel vs. DC lawsuit was going on over ownership of Superman, there were a TON of little things DC had to change going forward while it was still undecided. In legal terms the Siegel family had claims to things like the spit curl and red trunks and a few other things I can't recall and can't fucking find anymore since the case was won by DC. DC did away with them in case they lost the rights to use them in the future, and it just kind of stuck from there. It's partially why the New 52 Superman was so different, as well.

Of course, being that I can't find the original article that explained all the nuances of the suit, I may be completely wrong. I do know that there was a ton of shit about the character that was in legal limbo when the changes were made for the New 52, though.

And that gif isn't oversaturated from Instagram. Cavill's costume is legit colorful.

tumblr_o564pldVDk1uimp0vo1_1280.jpg

SpaceWolf

Banned
From what I heard way back when the Siegel vs. DC lawsuit was going on over ownership of Superman, there were a TON of little things DC had to change going forward while it was still undecided. In legal terms the Siegel family had claims to things like the spit curl and red trunks and a few other things I can't recall and can't fucking find anymore since the case was won by DC. DC did away with them in case they lost the rights to use them in the future, and it just kind of stuck from there. It's partially why the New 52 Superman was so different, as well.

Of course, being that I can't find the original article that explained all the nuances of the suit, I may be completely wrong. I do know that there was a ton of shit about the character that was in legal limbo when the changes were made for the New 52, though.

I found this really interesting, thank you. If you ever get around to tracking down the original article, I'd love to give it a read.

IDGAF this looks fucking awesome

How is Justice League coming along, Mr Snyder?

cr0w

Old Member
I'm driving myself nuts trying to find the article, but it was years ago, like 2008 or something, so everything from that time period is gone. It might have been a Bleeding Cool article or something.

I found this really interesting, thank you. If you ever get around to tracking down the original article, I'd love to give it a read.

Wait! I found something. First here's a what-if article that examines what would happen if DC lost the rights and Marvel were to buy them, it references the previous ruling.

http://screenrant.com/disney-marvel-warner-bros-superman-kofi-23726/

And here's an article on the previous ruling.

http://screenrant.com/superman-legal-battle-origins-kofi-21703/

Warner Bros. no longer has access to Superman’s origins.

Variety reports that on Wednesday, Judge Stephen Larson ruled that the Siegels now control a lot of Superman’s early history, including his brief infancy on Krypton, his parents, baby Kal-El and the whole “sent to Earth from a dying planet” storyline. The Siegels also captured ownership of early Superman comic-strips and early Superman/Action Comics issues. So what does this mean for film fans?

So at that point, DC had to change a shitload in case they ended up losing even more. Of course, they ended up winning the suit, but at one point they actually did lose the rights to a lot of aspects of his character. I still can't find the original article with more details.

Great! We have lots of jokes, and fun, and humor. Did I mention it's gonna be fun?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

"Well you know, I think it's cool that, you know the cool thing about it is you have these character. And I...I..I hope the fans will see that....the cool thing about I don't know"

cr0w

Old Member

I found more!

http://variety.com/2009/film/markets-festivals/superman-co-creator-s-family-given-rights-1118007269/

In 2008, the same court order ruled on summary judgment that the Siegels had successfully recaptured (as of 1999) Siegel’s copyright in Action Comics No. 1, giving them rights to the Superman character, including his costume, his alter-ego as reporter Clark Kent, the feisty reporter Lois Lane, their jobs at the Daily Planet newspaper working for a gruff editor, and the love triangle among Clark/Superman and Lois.

DrunkDan

It's strange.

I occasionally get All Star Superman when looking at the pictures (the panel one especially).

I also occasionally get Modern Family's Phil Dunphy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom