• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
Questbar taste redeemed! So I bought a box of the cookie dough from GNC as well as 2 cinnamon roll and 2 strwaberry cheescake bars since it was buy 3 bars get 1 free. Basically just to try them. I tried the cheescake the other day and wasn't super impressed but it's protein and edible. tried the cinnamon roll yesterday and was not impressed with it either. Nothing puke worthy but not something I would go out of my way to eat. Today, right now actually, I am eating the chocolate chip cookie dough and it is amazing. Ggood job with the hype that came through fit GAF.

Team cookie dough represent!

IMO the reason why people have such a hard time losing extra body fat, is the answer many people don't want to hear. Its doing cardio and just eating healthy. Veggies, lean meats, eggs, fish etc. Stuck with no progress? Do more cardio, because obviously you aren't doing enough to burn off the extra fat.

Anybody want to lose some extra fat? than do 30-45 min of cardio, 5-7 days a week and just eat super clean and I will bet anybody any amount of money that they will drop the fat in no time. Don't expect to see quick results without it. Its that simple.

SeanR1221

I disagree. I feel like you can lose weight through diet alone. No cardio needed.

---

Cranky, looking good. You're pretty skinny, aren't you cutting?

andycapps

I disagree. I feel like you can lose weight through diet alone. No cardio needed.

---

Cranky, looking good. You're pretty skinny, aren't you cutting?

I think a lot of people can, but you reach a certain point where your diet is either going to be extremely strict, or you can be pretty strict with some cheating and do cardio. I've seen better results in the mirror and on the scale since I started walking daily for a couple miles.

SeanR1221

I think a lot of people can, but you reach a certain point where your diet is either going to be extremely strict, or you can be pretty strict with some cheating and do cardio. I've seen better results in the mirror and on the scale since I started walking daily for a couple miles.

I think walking is a fantastic idea. So are short bursts of intense conditioning (like hill sprints) I should have clarified, I don't think long, slow state cardio is needed.

I think walking is a fantastic idea. So are short bursts of intense conditioning (like hill sprints) I should have clarified, I don't think long, slow state cardio is needed.

If you do steady cardio for 45 min 5-7 days a week, you will 100% shed all the unnecessary weight you have. Thats assuming that you are stacking it with a clean diet. But many people are in such denial about cardio that its crazy. Iv'e been working out for 15 years and cardio always help keep me at a steady 10% range of body fat while I get stronger.

The majority of people just hate doing cardio and are in denial that it will kill all your gains, which is quite ridiculous. Want abs? shed the fat thats covering them by doing cardio which will melt it. Its that simple

And you should always train your most important muscle. Your heart.

crpav

Anyone here have major knee surgery years ago? I had a major knee repair/surgery done in 2005. I had my ACL replaced as well as meniscus tear and bone damage. A cadaver ACl was used and the torn meniscus was removed. I am wondering if I should go in and have it rechecked. It has never been the same. I know it never would or will be but it seems to get "locked up" quite a bit and I can feel it like something is stopping from being able to fully extend it. i also have pain on each side quite a bit. Not a sharp or unbearable pain but more like it's not stable if I put weight on it at a certain angle. Basically would like to see if a scope is needed to removed some floating junk and or see if the screws have backed out.

hiroshi-tanahashi.jpg

best build.

That settles it. By summer of next year, I want to look like Tanahashi. That's final. No more changes!

Your frame seems perfectly suited to this build Fallen. Your shoulders should look even better though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
IMO the reason why people have such a hard time losing extra body fat, is the answer many people don't want to hear. Its doing cardio and just eating healthy. Veggies, lean meats, eggs, fish etc. Stuck with no progress? Do more cardio, because obviously you aren't doing enough to burn off the extra fat.

Anybody want to lose some extra fat? than do 30-45 min of cardio, 5-7 days a week and just eat super clean and I will bet anybody any amount of money that they will drop the fat in no time. Don't expect to see quick results without it. Its that simple.
Well i eat clean and do 30-45 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week with HIIT every other day. Clearly either I need to eat more or work out less or something. How many months do I do the same thing with no progress?

It's an odd place to be because by all basic accounts eating right and doing cardio alone should work. For me the calories in calories out does not work using a calculator. Maybe understanding my metabolism will make it work better.

However, I wish such basic advice did work for me. Would make my life a lot easier.

andycapps

Walking is long, slow steady state cardio though. Other than hill sprints and such it's probably the best for you. I opt for walking 30-45 min at a time because I feel like it takes too much out of me to do the sprints, makes it harder to recover from lifting. It's also a lot harder on my knees.

If you do steady cardio for 45 min 5-7 days a week, you will 100% shed all the unnecessary weight you have. Thats assuming that you are stacking it with a clean diet. But many people are in such denial about cardio that its crazy. Iv'e been working out for 15 years and cardio always help keep me at a steady 10% range of body fat while I get stronger.

The majority of people just hate doing cardio and are in denial that it will kill all your gains, which is quite ridiculous. Want abs? shed the fat thats covering them by doing cardio which will melt it. Its that simple

And you should always train your most important muscle. Your heart.

When you say steady cardio are you talking about jogging or walking?

But I don't want to do cardio ;_;

I'll pick some up when my weight loss starts to stall. Until then, no cardio other then walking the dog.

Your frame seems perfectly suited to this build Fallen. Your shoulders should look even better though.

Thanks dood. I just need to stick with one goal and go with it. I think it will be the perfect build. Solid mass but still somewhat lean.

burnfout

Well i eat clean and do 30-45 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week with HIIT every other day. Clearly either I need to eat more or work out less or something. How many months do I do the same thing with no progress?

It's an odd place to be because by all basic accounts eating right and doing cardio alone should work. For me the calories in calories out does not work using a calculator. Maybe understanding my metabolism will make it work better.

However, I wish such basic advice did work for me. Would make my life a lot easier.

And you are not losing weight with this? Seems hard to believe, maybe too many carbs?

MThanded

And you are not losing weight with this? Seems hard to believe, maybe too many carbs?
100 to 150 a day.

Almost no processed carbohydrates. My diet consists of these foods mainly:

-Tofu
-Chicken Breast
-Salmon
-Brocolli
-Salad Mix
-Grape Tomatoes
-Asparagus
-Onions
-Brussels Sprouts
-Feta Cheese
-Olive Oil
-Avocados

Sometimes i will make apple carrot juice. Once every 2 days. 1 apple and 2 carrot stalks.

It's consistent on a weekly basis because these are the only things I buy from costco and I cook most of my meals.

Every now and then I will throw in some brown rice or whole wheat pasta. Maybe once or twice a week. I do not buy snack foods, bread or use white sugar. Do not drink sugary drinks.

Heres a pretty much standard bi-weekly grocery run

I, too, jumped aboard the Questbar train thanks to GAF and oh my god, so goooood. My local GNC didn't have any of the cookie dough but I devoured the chocolate brownie.

ezrarh

Take a look at this article on body recomposition: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fa...s-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

It doesn't seem like you're eating at a caloric deficit but the gist of it is lots of stress can cause chronic levels of cortisol resulting in more water retention that can mask fat loss. In addition it can cause a drop in your metabolic rate. As mentioned before by other posters, you don't necessarily have to do cardio and in fact, cardio might even be a bad thing for a heavier guy as yourself. Much more stress on the joints and body.

Walking is long, slow steady state cardio though. Other than hill sprints and such it's probably the best for you. I opt for walking 30-45 min at a time because I feel like it takes too much out of me to do the sprints, makes it harder to recover from lifting. It's also a lot harder on my knees.

When you say steady cardio are you talking about jogging or walking?

Jogging at a steady aerobic pace. Walking is steady but its not nearly as effective as jogging.

Take a look at this article on body recomposition: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fa...s-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

It doesn't seem like you're eating at a caloric deficit but the gist of it is lots of stress can cause chronic levels of cortisol resulting in more water retention that can mask fat loss. In addition it can cause a drop in your metabolic rate. As mentioned before by other posters, you don't necessarily have to do cardio and in fact, cardio might even be a bad thing for a heavier guy as yourself. Much more stress on the joints and body.

there are options

biking
elliptical
swimming
row machine

100 to 150 a day.

-Tofu
-Chicken Breast
-Salmon
-Brocolli
-Salad Mix
-Grape Tomatoes
-Asparagus
-Onions
-Brussels Sprouts
-Feta Cheese
-Olive Oil
-Avocados

Sometimes i will make apple carrot juice. Once every 2 days. 1 apple and 2 carrot stalks.

It's consistent on a weekly basis because these are the only things I buy from costco and I cook most of my meals.

Every now and then I will throw in some brown rice or whole wheat pasta. Maybe once or twice a week. I do not buy snack foods, bread or use white sugar. Do not drink sugary drinks.

Just be consistent. Thats key. I personally would ditch the feta and avocados because they are very fat/calorie dense.

Superman00

Liverpool01

Your body is probably use to it now and you're not burning as much calories as before. I tend to just play basketball for cardio since it really get my heart rates going. All that jumping and sprinting. I wear a heart rate monitor sometimes when I play basketball outside on the weekend. After 3 hours, I usually burns like 2000 calories.

Ekdrm2d1

100 to 150 a day.

-Tofu
-Chicken Breast
-Salmon
-Brocolli
-Salad Mix
-Grape Tomatoes
-Asparagus
-Onions
-Brussels Sprouts
-Feta Cheese
-Olive Oil
-Avocados

Posting groceries :thumbup:

I only see one organic item though, the salad greens :p

Edit: Looks like a healthy grocery pull. Basically like mine but I add fruit.

MThanded

Just be consistent. Thats key. I personally would ditch the feta and avocados because they are very fat/calorie dense.
The other foods are not very fat or calorie dense. If it wasn't for feta of the occasional roasted pumpkin seeds on salad I would probably be running a much bigger deficit.

edit: whoops double post.

SeanR1221

I think in the summer I'll make a trip to iron sport once a week to flip tires, push a prowler, hit the tires with sledgehammers and use the yolk.

It's a 30min drive and 10.00 a visit but would probably be worth it.

twofold

@MThanded - Have you checked your body temperature? Lower than average body temperatures usually indicate a crashed metabolism. If that's the case, you may have to take a diet break (eat at maintenance calories for 2-3 weeks) before returning to dieting.

F that. My life would be terrible without feta cheese. Mmmmmmmm It keeps me sane.

I would run a million miles a week to keep cheese in my diet. Feta, Tilamook extra sharp cheddar, aged Gouda, Brie, paneer, danish blue, cotija, pepper jack, Irish ceddar, Brunost, Wensleydale, Parmigiano-Reggiano and on and on. I love 'em all. It's the closest that I come to a food addiction. Gotta be healthy, but gotta live life as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkAkJY1jbo8

ErichWK

So I have been doing Keto for 7-8 weeks and have gone from 180 to 165. I don't know how much fat I've lost because I've gained significant muscle. I was wondering what I should do to reintroduce carbs back into my diet? The only reason I am stopping Keto is because I hit a bit of a wall and just stopped losing visible weight for around 3 weeks. Anyways here is my work out history/schedule.

Been lifting for around 5-6 months. 4 days at the Gym, switching between lower body and upper body. Doing things like dead lifts, squats, calf extensions, pull ups, back extensions, sit ups and Bench Presses, Decline and Incline presses, skullcrushers, and various curls. The past two weeks I have been focusing more on cardio to lose some more fat, and it has been working a bit.

Any advice would be super helpful! (getting so close to those abs i can feel it!)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I have been doing Keto for 7-8 weeks and have gone from 180 to 165. I don't know how much fat I've lost because I've gained significant muscle. I was wondering what I should do to reintroduce carbs back into my diet? The only reason I am stopping Keto is because I hit a bit of a wall and just stopped losing visible weight for around 3 weeks. Anyways here is my work out history/schedule.

Been lifting for around 5-6 months. 4 days at the Gym, switching between lower body and upper body. Doing things like dead lifts, squats, calf extensions, pull ups, back extensions, sit ups and Bench Presses, Decline and Incline presses, skullcrushers, and various curls. The past two weeks I have been focusing more on cardio to lose some more fat, and it has been working a bit.

Any advice would be super helpful! (getting so close to those abs i can feel it!)

I switched to Carb Nite and a little bit before then I started Starting Strength. I'm going to need to completely get off of a keto diet when my SS gains slow down majorly. So far since I am ultra-beginner with muscle I'm still seeing gains but I'm ready for them to taper off. CN didn't fuck me over or make me ill.

Ekdrm2d1

I would run a million miles a week to keep cheese in my diet. Feta, Tilamook extra sharp cheddar, aged Gouda, Brie, paneer, danish blue, cotija, pepper jack, Irish ceddar, Brunost, Wensleydale, Parmigiano-Reggiano. I love 'em all. It's the closest that I come to a food addiction. Gotta be healthy, but gotta live life as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkAkJY1jbo8

My nickname (in the rap world) is Boy Cheese

Tilamook's 3 year Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar is great. Gotta have it in portions of course but..

Their smoked black pepper white cheddar is to die for too

Now I only buy organic cottage cheese for the protein. Sometimes I splurge and get some exotic goat cheese. Love me some fresh goat cheese

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I deliver Red Bull to a candy shop that makes all kinds of chocolates and he always gives me free samples. Needless to say I don't turn him down and today my fast only lasted 14 hours. Oh well. Only 150 calories or so. Gotta partake in a treat every once in a while! :)

grumble

I deliver Red Bull to a candy shop that makes all kinds of chocolates and he always gives me free samples. Needless to say I don't turn him down and today my fast only lasted 14 hours. Oh well. Only 150 calories or so. Gotta partake in a treat ebery once in a while! :)

Sounds awesome!

Agreed, keeping your diet in check is important but you've got to live a little too!

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks! That settles that. :)

Cranky read my mind, i was thinking the other day about why we post pics of random body parts but never biceps. Isn't it about time we did? Or Is it tacky? Lol

Tacky. Was mostly showing off the shirt, I know my arms are small, lol

abuC

I deliver Red Bull to a candy shop that makes all kinds of chocolates and he always gives me free samples. Needless to say I don't turn him down and today my fast only lasted 14 hours. Oh well. Only 150 calories or so. Gotta partake in a treat ebery once in a while! :)

Damn man, you always have people offering you free things, I need to be nicer.

Imm0rt4l

Not me, he'll probably lose most of what he worked for and probably have to cycle again. Once he's off it he won't be able to work as hard to sustain it.
This. Won't be sustainable. And if he is able to sustain it, then he effectively just undermined his own abilities.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Damn man, you always have people offering you free things, I need to be nicer.
You know what? I do actually. I've never really thought about it. Must be good karma! He gave me some soft caramel coated with expresso chocolate. It was beyond great!

SeanR1221

Here is a great thread on Bodybuilding.com that can hopefully answer some questions on fat loss

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143295933

Um...straight from the guy you're linking...

I personally don't do any cardio myself i just lower body fat through diet alone. Cardio is not needed however it is a useful tool in burning calories and the more calories you burn the more body fat you will lose (presuming you are in a calorie deficit)

It's useful but not needed.

The most challenging thing when it comes to diet and lifestyle is drinking. I live in NYC where the only thing to do at night is drink and eat. When the weather gets good and you go to a club, its near impossible to not drink. I can go to a bar and be fine without drinking, but once I go to a club the vodka just pours.

Pete Rock

What would you do if someone unracked 315 as if to shrug, then proceeded to nod their head up and down for ten reps? Then they put on two more plates and did it again, then left the whole setup for someone else to clean off? What is this I don't even

I've had to clean that off the front (!) of the power rack twice before and I could not figure what could possibly be accomplished with that setup. The answer is nothing, nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom