• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

College friends are in town(Vegas). I foresee lots of alcohol, and very little regard for macros this weekend. Goodbye sweet gains.

13-In-n-out-protein-style-burger-In-N-Out-secret-menu-items.jpeg

4x4 protein style In-n-Out burger is heeeeaaavven.

You my good sir, have fine taste in fast food. Too bad you can't make carb free/low carb fries, animals style.

abuC

The problem is that if you lower your hips you'll lose hamstring tension.

hamstringtension.png

(Image taken from here)

Also you might want to wait until your hips are fully unlocked before you unlock your knees since you had to shove the weight out of the way on the way down.

Still, 415lb at 145lb is very, very good. That's just 20lb before you reach 3x Bodyweight! And a 3x Bodyweight Deadlift is a pretty awesome thing to have.

LOL, hilarious pic.

College friends are in town(Vegas). I foresee lots of alcohol, and very little regard for macros this weekend. Goodbye sweet gains.

You my good sir, have fine taste in fast food. Too bad you can't make carb free/low carb fries, animals style.

Haha you are my boy Immortal that is exactly what I messaged my wife when she went to pick it up. Screw the bun those fries are so gooood! I swear you get a preview of Viking heaven when you get them animal style

abuC

The gym was empty tonight so I was going to take a picture of myself in the squat rack curling, but I didn't want to get banned from the thread.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
http://70sbig.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/hamstringtension.png[img][/quote]

That pic never gets old.

[quote="Conor 419, post: 57296510"]I've had to cut the Squats for a while cos I got a groin inflammation, gives me an excuse to focus on upper body I guess tho.[/quote]

[quote="Alienshogun, post: 57296738"]Sounds like a yeast infection. There's creams for that.[/quote]

[quote="kylej, post: 57297000"]Use baby powder on your balls and taint to keep irritation down.[/quote]

lol. A word of advice Conor; if at any point in the future the area feels a little tender before/after squatting and you're tempted to apply a liniment such as blue heat or deep heat, DON'T. DO NOT DO IT. The risk that you end up getting even a tiny amount in the wrong spot is too great. It was easily in the top 5 of my most hideously painful experiences ever. I don't even want to know what kind of permanent damage was done.

ToxicAdam

The gym was empty tonight so I was going to take a picture of myself in the squat rack curling, but I didn't want to get banned from the thread.

You're doing it wrong. You need to punish the most likely offenders by doing push-ups on the treadmills. Do it so your body is sprawled across three of them.

abuC

You're doing it wrong. You need to punish the most likely offenders by doing push-ups on the treadmills. Do it so your body is sprawled across three of them.

Sound plan, maybe I can do curls on the ellipticals and really change the troll game.

Completely unrelated but somebody else yet again asked me for a spot, when will these dudes learn I'm awful at spotting people. I know when someone is gonna ask me for a spot now and I try to avoid it, you see them sitting at the edge of the bench looking around then they see me and I guess they think "He must know what he's doing" SIKE. I walk around with my hood on and headphones in, and people will still tap me on the shoulder for a spot.

I think the next person that asks me for a spot, I should pretend I'm about to cry and say "Nah bro, nah...I haven't spotted anyone since............." and walk away.

lol. A word of advice Conor; if at any point in the future the area feels a little tender before/after squatting and you're tempted to apply a liniment such as blue heat or deep heat, DON'T. DO NOT DO IT. The risk that you end up getting even a tiny amount in the wrong spot is too great. It was easily in the top 5 of my most hideously painful experiences ever. I don't even want to know what kind of permanent damage was done.

Listen to this man. I once peed after using icy hot and it felt like someone was stabbing my dick with a burning ice pick

Tash

If you live in my area I can offer to help out if our schedules jive, I've offered that here before, but no one else seems to live in the middle of cornfield U.S.A

I'm in the STL area.

Thanks for the offer but I am in Norway :)

I broke open a scab on my shin today while deadlifting. Had to take a quick break to stop bleeding + put a bandaid on, then it was back to deadlifts.

I really should just start wearing pants on deadlift days.

Yup, had that too the other day. Noticed when it bled like crazy.

My DOMS are super bad. Can't stretch my arms properly.
I wonder if I am overdoing it with weights and should lower it so I can more easily get to 8 reps..

Anyway, doing another rest day today and start the new week round fresh tomorrow me thinks. Don't want to risk getting injured.

Tash

I've been trying to improve my diet recently. Just started using myfitnesspal to track calories....looks like I ate around 4k calories yesterday....and I didn't really have any crazy meals. I have a feeling my diet/nutrition is really off. I am constantly hungry, regardless of how many "long filling" foods I eat and crave junk food. I'm not fat but my diet really limits my progress in getting fit and jacked. I'm 6 ft, 194lbs not sure how many cals I should be getting. Does anyone have any books/sources they recommend about nutrition and dieting?

What are you eating? What does a normal day for you look like food wise?

velociraptor

Should be fine. Mine is mounted into the ceiling studs with four screws. The mount is super solid. I have done kipping/swinging pull ups and weighted pull ups with zero problems

and yes it did take two people to install it, its pretty heavy so you need someone to hold the bar while screwing it in. Otherwise its easy, took maybe 20 mins

Wooden studs or metal?

sphinx

the piano man
I hate to be that guy, but if anyone wants to take a look at my squat form and give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

I tried to search a SS video with Ripptoe explaining high bar squats (which I assume it's the one you are going for in these videos) to confirm but couldn't find one...

in the one tutorial video someone posted just some pages back for Low bar squat, he explains that the wrist and elbow should make a straight line. Your wrist in the 205x3 video is too much to the inside (towards the rack) and doesn't make a line with the elbow but I don't know if the wrist-elbow line thing applies to high bar squats too and it's o.k how you are doing it.

I hope someone here can shed some light, I'd like to confirm this myself,

(and if I got it all wrong and none of this makes sense then, forgive and forget.)

Conor 419

Banned
That pic never gets old.

Daww you ruined it. These two are quite gullible, so I was going to have them believe I did something along these lines "and now I can't find my dick, but it's deff still there".

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sound plan, maybe I can do curls on the ellipticals and really change the troll game.

Completely unrelated but somebody else yet again asked me for a spot, when will these dudes learn I'm awful at spotting people. I know when someone is gonna ask me for a spot now and I try to avoid it, you see them sitting at the edge of the bench looking around then they see me and I guess they think "He must know what he's doing" SIKE. I walk around with my hood on and headphones in, and people will still tap me on the shoulder for a spot.

I think the next person that asks me for a spot, I should pretend I'm about to cry and say "Nah bro, nah...I haven't spotted anyone since............." and walk away.

Lol

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to search a SS video with Ripptoe explaining high bar squats (which I assume it's the one you are going for in these videos) to confirm but couldn't find one...

in the one tutorial video someone posted just some pages back for Low bar squat, he explains that the wrist and elbow should make a straight line. Your wrist in the 205x3 video is too much to the inside (towards the rack) and doesn't make a line with the elbow but I don't know if the wrist-elbow line thing applies to high bar squats too and it's o.k how you are doing it.

I hope someone here can shed some light, I'd like to confirm this myself,

(and if I got it all wrong and none of this makes sense then, forgive and forget.)

You're not likely to find a video of Rip explaining high bar squats in depth since he's of the opinion that even Olympic lifters should be doing low bar squats instead. Many people squat high bar with a bent wrist; since the bar is resting on top of the traps the arms and grip are supporting the weight in a different manner compared to low-bar. As long as the weight is carried mainly on the back grip is less important. Or not important at all, if you're a freak like Koklyaev.

Tash

You're not likely to find a video of Rip explaining high bar squats in depth since he's of the opinion that even Olympic lifters should be doing low bar squats instead. Many people squat high bar with a bent wrist; since the bar is resting on top of the traps the arms and grip are supporting the weight in a different manner compared to low-bar. As long as the weight is carried mainly on the back grip is less important. Or not important at all, if you're a freak like Koklyaev.

da fuq 0_0

So I am up another two pounds this week. Gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks while doing IF/Carb Nite. All my clothes are fitting better though. Maybe I am a genetic freak. Is it possible to gain that kind of muscle if you are a complete noob with compound lifts?

Tash

Doing another rest day today. I still can't properly straighten my arms without proper pain (I still can tell it's DOMS, not something I pulled) but I might have to slow down on the weights, I guess. Last strength workout was on Tuesday..Cardio on Wednesday was ok, didn't feel anything but yesterday and today has been hell. VERY delayed soreness..

Tash

So I am up another two pounds this week. Gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks while doing IF/Carb Nite. All my clothes are fitting better though. Maybe I am a genetic freak. Is it possible to gain that kind of muscle if you are a complete noob with compound lifts?

Muscle and maybe water retention from repairing the tears?

Doing another rest day today. I still can't properly straighten my arms without proper pain (I still can tell it's DOMS, not something I pulled) but I might have to slow down on the weights, I guess. Last strength workout was on Tuesday..Cardio on Wednesday was ok, didn't feel anything but yesterday and today has been hell. VERY delayed soreness..

If nothing is pulled get your butt in there. Soreness will go away pretty fast. I'm always the most sore 2-3 days after.

Out of the Quest Bar samplers, I saved the mixed berries for last after hearing it wasn't good, and it turned out to be one of my favorites really, there are actual berry and almond pieces in it.

The only variant I wouldn't eat again is the lemon pie, tasted like a bad lemon candy.

I've just ordered 5 boxes of cookie dough and 6 different boxes of my favorites.

images

Tash

If nothing is pulled get your butt in there. Soreness will go away pretty fast. I'm always the most sore 2-3 days after.

Yes Sir!
On other news, cantina here was closed and I forgot to bring my chicken breast stuff so I went to the gym and stacked up on protein bars for lunch and mid day snack. Hopefully the overseas Quest delivery will arrive soon. Also, it's so hard to get good beef jerky over here in Europe. The best is still http://www.wildwestjerky.co.uk/ but it's so freaking expensive :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Soreness hits me hardest on day 2, but that's the day I go back and work the soreness out and feel fantastic. Sometimes I don't get sore anymore, which reminds me I need to push myself harder.

Yesterday I was not feeling my squats too much - felt like I churned them out easily, so at the end of all my sets I went back for one more set of squats. GOD DAMN I limped outta there. Deceptive...

13-In-n-out-protein-style-burger-In-N-Out-secret-menu-items.jpeg

4x4 protein style In-n-Out burger is heeeeaaavven.

Looks amazing. Speaking of bunless hamburgers we have a five guys here in Buffalo. I'm a bit weary of trying the bunless because I hate soggy lettuce. Anyone have experience with it?

It's still amazing to see the hit carbs take when you remove that bun via their website.

Looks amazing. Speaking of bunless hamburgers we have a five guys here in Buffalo. I'm a bit weary of trying the bunless because I hate soggy lettuce. Anyone have experience with it?

It's still amazing to see the hit carbs take when you remove that bun via their website.

I have before and it was very good.

I'll repeat my Q now that you lazy asses are waking up and it's a new page:

I've gained 4 lbs. in two weeks. Is that normal for SS for a complete beginner to compounds? There's no way it's fat as my clothes at least seem to fit better these past few weeks.

Szu

I'll repeat my Q now that you lazy asses are waking up and it's a new page:

I've gained 4 lbs. in two weeks. Is that normal for SS for a complete beginner to compounds? There's no way it's fat as my clothes at least seem to fit better these past few weeks.

I would say it is possible to gain that weight, but it's probably mostly water with some new muscle.

Any way to avoid this? Will it even out eventually? Would love to see the scale going the right way with all this hard work/strict dieting.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Repost from the weight loss thread.

Feeling fucking defeated. Not sure what to do or where to go.

1. I am eating a low carb high fiber diet targeting around 2000-2500(i used to eat less but i upped it because it was not working) calories. I record all my food to make sure(MFP)
2. Working out 5-6 times a week. 45 minutes of cardio or 30 minutes of HIIT. Paired with 30 minutes of strength training. Targeted muscle groups
3. Also use a fitbit to track my walking calories

I'm 282.3 and cannot lose a single pound. Held steady here for 2 months(sometimes to the exact 10th of a pound). My clothes do not fit better at all. About a year and a half ago the same thing happened. I was running daily and recording everything I eat and my weight would not budge from 278 for 2 months.

I have had my thyroid tested and it seemed in the normal functioning range . Why in the hell can't i get away from 280? I'm 5 11. This is not a healthy weight for me. I don't want to be here any more but nothing seems to work.

My plan is to talk to an endocrinologist within the next month. That's the only thing I can think of.

Any ideas?

Edit:
Some back story. I put on this weight when i went through puberty. Even back then I never ate terribly. My parents were health nuts. I am 26 now. I was once 330 but I worked my ass off and got it down. Ever since then it would never seem to go below 280-275 despite my blood sweat and saliva.

blackflag

Yeah never trust dat scale. My weight can easily fluctuate 8-10 lbs a day. It's even worse now since if I let my estrogen rise I can bloat like a girl on the rag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom